Software update for the Motorola DROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX rolling out
We've now received word that the update is available for all DROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX devices, which updates the software to 6.12.181, but still with Gingerbread 2.3.6. This update comes in at 17.4 MB and doesn't take long to install. Fixes include improved device stability, better battery life, Bluetooth call volume, better security, IPv6 implementation, improved text message delivery, better visual voice mail experience, fixed HotSpot with WPS security, more accurate 4G connectivity icon, and some changes to the MotoCast apps.
Hopefully the update to Ice Cream Sandwich isn't too far off!
For those of you who have rooted their DROID RAZR or DROID RAZR MAXX, you should first download and install OTA RootKeeper and have it create a backup. Then after the software update is installed, go back to OTA RootKeep and have it restore the root and then restart your phone. That way your apps that require root will continue to work.
source: Verizon Wireless
2. sportsinger75 (Posts: 71; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
An update is better than no update I suppose.
3. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5647; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the only way i'm going back to Gingerbread is when the OTA to ICS comes out and i have to downgrade to update.
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5954; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I just downloaded the update. Will be checking it out.
5. toobad (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Apr 2012)
can't decide once my gs2 updates to ics if I should keep it or root and install a rom instead.
6. nyamo (Posts: 274; Member since: 19 Mar 2011)
root away. over on xda we've had ics roms for around a month now. all are fully functional. pick your flavor AOSP or TW been running CM9 for about 3 weeks now. there is no way i'm going back to GB. not to sure about the other carriers but this is for the i777, not sure about the i727
7. troutsy (Posts: 282; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Quadrant score went from ~2125 on to ~2425 after the upgrade.
Good enough for me.
10. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5647; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the Razr on Gingerbread can easily hit 2800-2900. there's something wrong with yours. xD
8. islanderbaw (Posts: 8; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
Downloaded . . . froze once, reset, seems OK. Can't visually see any difference at all; seems to run the same so far.
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5954; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I am seeing better (faster) hot-spot and improved synching with non-gmail e-mail servers. For me, this is a positive update.
11. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5647; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you'll think "positive update" when you see ICS for yourself pal. ;]
12. BattleBrat (Posts: 1175; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I like the new SD card options, it is now so much easier to transfer!