September 4th confirmed as introduction date for the Sony i1 Honami
The Sony i1 Honami is a camera-centric model with a rear snapper offering a 20.7MP sensor, Sony G lens and an aperture of f/2.0 which should allow for clear pictures in low-light settings. Despite launching the popular Sony Xperia Z earlier this year, Sony has only a 3.8% global marketshare in the smartphone industry and hopes to raise that with the release of the Honami. The Japanese based manufacturer expects to sell 42 million smartphones in 2013.
In addition to the handset, Sony is expected to introduce on the same day, the interchangeable camera lens that it will be offering for the Apple iPhone and Android models. The lens attach to a phone through the use of a magnet. Both models, the DSC-QX10 and the DSC-QX100, include a microSD slot and a display panel.
September 4th is going to be a busy day. Besides the expected introduction of the Sony i1 Honami and the two interchangeable lens, Samsung is expected to unveil the Samsung Galaxy Note III and its new Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch on the very same day.
source: Bloomberg via SlashGear
1. mottykels (Posts: 372; Member since: 15 May 2013)
4th of September will be an exciting day, honami and note 3 ;)
16. AnTuTu (Posts: 886; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Bad date Sony.
Honami will be blown away by the beast on the same day. Sorry but that's the reality.
24. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5866; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
The problem for Sony is their limited distribution model in the U.S. Working on only AT&T (and limited T-Mo) cuts out a significant part of the U.S. market. Sammy hasn't made that mistake.
30. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
On September 4th, you will wake up from the dream and realize that your beloved Note 3 is not good enough to beat Honami.
34. Daftama (Posts: 563; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Thats the sad part as much as I want N3 to be the beast that it should it will disappoint us because we expect more oh well Sony advance your u s market to vzw n sprint
33. GTR722 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
You mean the plastic - fake benchsmarks - beast ??
38. AnTuTu (Posts: 886; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
You know exactly what I mean.
Fake benchmarks - beast?
Go and ask millions of them who have bought this beast. And also when you will wake on September 5th you'd realize that this was the stupidest comment you had ever made.
48. pwnarena (Posts: 934; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
there're people who've already bought it? i thought it's not released yet.
55. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1396; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
"Honami will be blown away by the beast on the same day."
Honami IS the beast.
56. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1396; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
It's silly to compare a phone with a phablet, two completely different devices. That's like saying, the Note 2 will be blown away by a Nexus 10.
58. AnTuTu (Posts: 886; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
hahaha are you telling me that?
Go and check Xperia Ultra which doesn't even come in phone, phablet or tablet categories lolzz
2. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
I am more interested in honami mini, and gnote3.
3. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
The honami mini is the phone I would gladly pay $600 for!
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
$600 for that phone? Sorry but it should be priced at $550 max.
15. cdgm2509 (Posts: 30; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
aditya.k don't even try to start a discussion with this troll.. on every single Sony article I've read this guy says something negative against Sony.. so really just ignore him and cross our fingers and hope he shuts the f up once the phone is released.
4. skuld (Posts: 44; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
Sony i1 Honami is the flagship of all flagships!
11. Pancoon (Posts: 42; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
The note 3 is said to unveiled by samsung on September 4 and the sony honami on September 4 as well.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Sony is making a mistake releasing it the same day as the Note III... If they really wanted attention to the phone, they could have announced it a few days before or after the revealing of the new Note. Just saying...
8. aditya.k (Posts: 463; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
They will get all thattention they need! :)
14. pyradark (Posts: 775; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Even s4 didnt make an impact, same as note 3!!!
21. maccess (Posts: 628; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
20 million in 2 months wasn't an impact for sure!!
31. keylimejelly (banned) (Posts: 22; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
its not about sales its about best
in review comparison honami.will surely beat note 3 and this is real success for honami
41. iushnt (Posts: 672; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
as if s4 is loosing in review and comparisons..
57. HouTexan (Posts: 315; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
He said s4 didn't make an impact. That is a dumb comment.
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6581; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Sept 4th is the press conference
36. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I think Sony didn‘t make any mistake at all, because on the same day everyone in the world can realize
that the only thing that really better in Note 3 in comparison with Honami is $ 40 Wacom stylus.
44. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I doubt it will happen because until this day S3 / 4 and Iphone 5 proves that phones with reasonable size is much more successful than any phablets.
You'd better keep dreaming if you do not want to accept the bitter truth when Honami, Iphone 5S, G2 or even a mini Honami far more successful than your beloved in Note 3.
49. maccess (Posts: 628; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
oh yeah?? but as far as i know nothing from xperia line can even sold as much as the note 2.. off course it didn't sell as much as s3. but the note 1 and 2 still outsell any xperia phone combine from 2011 till now..
53. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
According to wikipedia more than 8 million Note 2 have been sold in 2012 and Note 1 had no enter the ranks of best-selling phone in the year 2011/2012.
While Sony sold 33 million in 2011 and 81.9 million mobile phones in 2012.
So what are you saying that "note 1 and note 2 outsell any Xperia phone combine from 2011 till now" is a big lie.
Lets forget the past this year Sony in a much better state, increasing market share, in just 40 days Xperia Z sold 4.6 units, and in Japan Xperia A outselling S4 by 2:1.
54. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
And before you continue your b**ls**t about sales in the past.
Let's wait until the year 2013 passed and we will see which the phones are more successful in the market Honami or Note 3.
9. GeekMovement (Posts: 1505; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I hope the rest of the specs on the Honami is killer like 3gb ram, a nice screen, and a great battery.
and i hope it comes to the states.
12. nnjerzy (Posts: 85; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Who wants the note 3 when the honami has arrived im on board
13. zachattack (Posts: 580; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Honestly lets not kid ourselves, the note 3 won't break any records. Sony is more interesting than Samsung so power to them. F you samsung, your phones bore me. Then again Sony doesn't pump muh nads much either.
17. Taters (Posts: 3261; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Nexus 5 is the big one for me. Let's hope it doesn't disappoint. I actually wouldn't mind if Sony made it.
32. vincelongman (Posts: 1318; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Nexus 5 or Oppo Find 7 for me (student). Probably the Nexus 5 because it will be cheaper.
45. Trex95 (Posts: 553; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Nexus it's the god father of all Android devices.
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6581; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Finally now i can buy my HONAMI. good thing i skipped the XPERIA Z still a HARD CORE PHONE too
23. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1242; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I think all the Android OEM's got smart this time around. Release/announce before Apple can even strike. Tim Cook better realize that their entire formula is so predictable.
25. keylimejelly (banned) (Posts: 22; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
this is a 2nd year for SONY and so far they have done a great job and they are improving
in my country xperia m is already getting a huge attention because of its low price
28. keylimejelly (banned) (Posts: 22; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
RickyD on esato has been told that
Honami is better than Lumia 1020 for imaging
his source is a photographic artist who works for.sony mobile in china and has used and.seen.honami
check RickyD's comment-----
29. Finest (Posts: 76; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
Japanese is more innovative than koreans. Take automotives as an example Hyundai sucks while.Toyota Honda and Nissan Rocks! And Mitsubishi as well.
40. BooBooooooo (Posts: 56; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
in the phone market there is no difference between them haha
43. iushnt (Posts: 672; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
but not in the case of Samsung. Samsung is Samsung..
37. siluro (Posts: 46; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
While I'm looking forward to the performance of the camera, lets not forget the last time Sony came out with the Xperia Z and 13mp sensor that under performed.
While I really hope this new camera will be a huge success I would also like to see them fix a few of the flaws from the Xperia Z, mainly better screen (view angles, colors), better speakers (external speaker and also call quality improvement), and personally I don't care for all the flappy ports but I can forgive that if the other issues are remedied.
Do that Sony, and bring a version to the US that will allow me 3G/HSPA on Tmo and you have my $650 (not more).
39. BooBooooooo (Posts: 56; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Sonny makes devices well but their marketing and pricing are terrible
46. ngyixian96 (Posts: 85; Member since: 05 Feb 2012)
Experience the best of SONY in a smartphone
50. meeaaoon (Posts: 20; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
I've been waiting for honami for a long time but looking at its leak pictures it seems like it is bigger than Xperia z which already is bigger for 5 inch phone compared to S4 and G2.
Sony make it right this time please.... :(