Samsung Galaxy S5 camera bug found; new units coming to market with no problems
On Sunday, Samsung announced that the number of Galaxy S5 units with this problem is "very limited". Even more important for a flagship device that markets its 16MP rear camera heavily, Samsung says that new units tumbling off the assembly line will not have this problem. The Korean manufacturer found that the problem has to do with the ROM component, which stores the information that is necessary for the phone to run the camera.
While it is not related to the camera issue, Samsung warned its investors that profit for the first quarter is going to be lower on a year-over-year basis. This will be the second straight annual decline in profitability for the company.
1. skyline88 (Posts: 410; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
problem found and fixed.
good job Samsung!
5. Ashoaib (Posts: 3012; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
ROM created the problem? Which is not considered as an important component... even if important, it is not a component to talk about but it created a big problem which negatively hilighted an important camera
6. Sauce (unregistered)
Indeed indeed. Respect to the developers for finding that fast.
2. Ashoaib (Posts: 3012; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Profit will keep decling bcoz they are uping their specs and using latest technology... only apple will be able keep profit at a level or even increase bcoz they are using mid range specs as high end
8. mayur007 (Posts: 531; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
bcoz samsung believe in innovation and providing latest technology
they dont care much for profit they care for the technology
13. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Samsung, are financially healthy as a result of their low cost model? Samsung's only healthy because they make the guts inside due to them being component manufacturer. so the costs to Samsung for memory, NAND, screen, and processor is less than if they weren't a component man.
16. SleepingOz (unregistered)
They might not be as greedy as apple but trust me, every company cares about profit!
3. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Samsung is handling this "camera failed" issue far better than Apple would have. But Samsung is making too many over-priced mediocre phones which result in this:
"Samsung warned its investors that profit for the first quarter is going to be lower on a year-over-year basis. This will be the second straight annual decline in profitability for the company."
4. Sauce (unregistered)
Especially when the phone only costs $256 to make
7. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Profits are declining because.
1. Market saturation. Apple is having similar problems
2. Because of the higher specs the cost of the phones are higher while the selling price remains the same. (This is good for consumers)
10. mayur007 (Posts: 531; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
i think because of rapid innovation wvga then hd then full hd now qhd
i think processor cost is still the same
apple they dont have any problem in us
they have problem in country other than us
9. mayur007 (Posts: 531; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
apple phone cost only 199$ for a 799 phone
add 5 - 10$ for memory
and sell it for 899$ 999$
11. Sauce (unregistered)
You do realize that the iPhone 5s (on launch day) was $650…. ?
12. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Apple prices the phone a lot higher in other countries.
17. SleepingOz (unregistered)
The world doesn't revolves around america and igadgets are usually the most overpriced products around in many countries.
14. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Well....that was a quick fix.
Folks wanting a GS5 on Verizon should be happy. Sounds like they wanna make sure it doesnt happen across the board with any model....
Good job Samsung.
15. mrblah (Posts: 574; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
It's to late, the damage is done... It should really say "phone failed".
21. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
If the iPhone can survive...Antenna gate.....the GS5 will be fine. And lets look at the suggestions for fixes, and actual fixes for the iPhone 4 and the GS5..
Doesnt look too much like fail now....
Looks like Samsung actually one upped Apple vs the iPhone 4 issue.
18. refillable (Posts: 834; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
You guys should rather praise than bash. That's a pretty quick action.
20. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
so to be clear Verizon was NOT the cause of this issue?
okay, now move along now Verizon Trolls.