Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha live photos show up, 4.7-inch display apparently confirmed
According to SamMobile, the Galaxy Alpha sports a 4.7-inch display - just as previously rumored. The pixel resolution of the display isn’t known. It could be either 1,080 x 1,920 (Full HD), or 1,440 x 2,560 (Quad HD). We’re leaning towards the former, because a Quad HD screen that measures only 4.7-inches may be overkill.
The Galaxy Alpha seems to have an aluminum frame around its body, while other features should include a fingerprint scanner and 32GB of non-expandable internal memory. By the looks of it, the Alpha could be Samsung’s response to Apple’s 4.7-inch iPhone 6, which might be released in September. Speaking of releases, the Galaxy Alpha may be introduced in August (but that, of course, remains to be confirmed).
Take a look at all the images included below and let us know if Samsung has (or hasn't got) a winner here:
sources: SamMobile, Tihnte
16. JC557 (Posts: 1038; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Nothing wrong with that as that was a good looking phone. Now it has today's specs and hopefully today's battery life expectations.
41. engineer-1701d (Posts: 855; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
thank you samsung for listening we dont all want mega phones i like my gs3 size by releasing this worldwide they can potentially stop people from not wanting to upgrade because people dont want massive phones. now if they would only put quad speakers in one on each corner and have a high density battery and new 805 soc with android l stock with samsung built in apps, then i buy i buy it hard core. people are split on the touchwiz, they should release it stock android like nexus but with samsung only apps and the ability to go to samsung kies and download the touchwiz if people want it. thats the future of the phones.
58. bighandssmallpockets (Posts: 42; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Totally agree on the phone size! I just want the best specs in a phone I can stick in my front pocket! Splash/drop proof is a plus too.
80. torr310 (Posts: 372; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
It seems Samsung moved the speaker to the bottom instead placing on the rear. That's great!
86. neops (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
i AUTOCADED IT and its dimensions should be: H 133,2 mm x W 68,2 mm
Aside this, with those humps on the corners it looks like trying to implement
hard metal character. The dents between the metal parts on the bottom
make it look like misassembled. And no SD, no USB3? WHY?
I liked my S2 better 'cause the ear piece and the rim around the front button
were black. And I liked much more the renders on the specs page (first link)
131. Mels13 (Posts: 49; Member since: 23 Jun 2014)
ok for usb but i dont understand why theres no memory card?
88. j2001m (Posts: 36; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Any lag on my gs5 got removed today it now works faster then my nexus 5
105. skyline88 (Posts: 315; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
no idea how you defined "worldwide", but over here in my "planet", phablets like Note series, Galaxy Mega, Xperia Ultra, Hongmi Note and Vibe Z are having much better sales than anything below 5 inches.
and no, we are not big fat Americans or NBA players.
123. osbert (Posts: 32; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
apart from quad speakers... wtf man?
29. LGisgood (Posts: 434; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
This is actually looks better than S2 in my opinion
i used to be an s2 user 3years ago.
71. TheGenius (Posts: 326; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
An s2 lover agrees.!
This thing is beautiful !
Hell yeah ! Sammy ftw.
27. Carlosfrancoz (Posts: 16; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
I was thinking the same thing!! At least is not ugly like S5! S2 design was very nice (for that time)!
55. engineer-1701d (Posts: 855; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
i cant be-leave no one has noticed this yet, but this has no speaker opening on the back and it kinda looks like holes on the bottom if this is speakers on the bottom or top hell yeah bring it now. a full month before iphone 6 to maybe move the idrones to the andrones.
125. mmmanuuu (Posts: 209; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
Looks more like a core neo advance plus young duos phone.
145. Siapaya (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 Jul 2014)
this phone just like z1 compact, s5 on compact body...
2. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Front is not even bad reminds a bit of S2. But that back is just plain HORRIBLE! Now somebody will point out "swappable covers" I know it.
15. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 380; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Might not be the real deal. Could be some kind of prototype. If not, Samsung's profits will continue to decline.
28. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 380; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
this is the power of samsung dimples. dont underestimate lol
44. engineer-1701d (Posts: 855; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
this is better because the dimples are not as pronounced like the s5 they where like creators on the face of the moon and shiny like a teenage kids face hahahaha, this is cleaner but i would love to buy a neo rubber back plate. or sandstone grip./ sandpaper 2000 grit.
79. marcski07 (Posts: 366; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
yeah i really hate the protruding curves for ports camera and flash, it kills the design, it makes look cheap, i know they make it to look thinner, but i prefer thick than ugly. a balance of design is important, that's why iphone and sony and htc have the best designs, and chinese oems are also stepping up because their design was inspired by this popular brands.. balance of simplicity and elegance is important, and samsung designers are blind. and the side rims looks like the design of midrangers of LG, the "L" series
102. Dude2014 (Posts: 139; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
Yeah I agree. Back is really horrible. The way Samsung's camera look in the back is the worst among any other phones. And isn't this phone supposed to be premium metal phone? Its back looks like cheap plastic and I don't see the difference between it and other Galaxy phones. I wonder how they are going to call it Premium Galaxy line?
67. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 739; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
He is only right that it looks like an iPhone to HIM, but it doesn't look alike. Perhaps if you squint a lot. But the home button is different, the corners too and the metal is different.
74. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
are you stoopid? keyword: looks
that means i still have my eyesight
guess that's what fanboyism does to your brains
5. AlikMalix (Posts: 402; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
4.7 inches? Is it baca use iPhone is rumored to have 4.7 inches? Like the iWatch rumor begat Samsung gear watch thingy? Lead by following right to the core...
34. ph00ny (Posts: 598; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Cue all the TV manufacturer to sue each other for producing the same 40/50/60" TVs?
45. engineer-1701d (Posts: 855; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
the gear watch was worked on almost a full year before rumors of iwatch and my gs3 is about 4.7 apple followed samsung on that and the rest. but they followed them self on the battery lol 1800mah just funny nothing but funny.
99. ph00ny (Posts: 598; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Um Samsung has been doing smart watche since the 90s. Gear is their third attempt at it iirc
6. greathero1 (Posts: 472; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Seeing the front end got me a little excited and then they go and turn the thing over and just ruin it all for me lol. Sammy, get rid of the dots and just use the faux leather.
7. pavsidhu (Posts: 76; Member since: 20 May 2014)
I feel bad for the Galaxy S5 owners thinking they were getting the "flapship model", I think it's not right companies are making prime models.
103. Luuthian (Posts: 212; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Yeah, I'm not really upset as an S5 owner. This may turn out to be a more powerful phone but the S5 is still a great device, ugly blue pleather or not. Why should we feel bad about owning a great phone, even if it's not "THE BEST OF PHONES"? The S5 is still better than 90% of the other phones on the market.
132. pavsidhu (Posts: 76; Member since: 20 May 2014)
Still, it would be great if you had the flapship phone which you expected.
8. supersam (Posts: 3; Member since: 23 Jul 2014)
Same design as usual, come on samsung be creative bcz it is becoming more and more uglyy
9. Ninetysix (Posts: 1578; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
I'm waiting for the "Galaxy Bravo" next year and "Galaxy Charlie" the year after.
62. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 919; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
"Welcome to the Galaxy Hotel. Your room is ready, so please enjoy your stay."
18. Awalker (Posts: 285; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
It is cheap looking. Samsung needs better designers.
23. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 380; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
yeah as if its gonna peel off easily
56. cezarepc (Posts: 564; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
I have high acidity. Sweat from my hands will peel those off easy.
98. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 380; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
I experienced that on my s2. that was very bad
100. Heatfan316 (Posts: 412; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
That's odd because I had a experience on my s2 and have been buying galaxy device's ever since.
47. engineer-1701d (Posts: 855; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
it looks like polished steel or polished aluminum. i dont want a metal back to slippy we should only have grippy type backs on phones over 4.5 inch.
63. LGisgood (Posts: 434; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
maybe cheap looking for you , but not for the class people lol
83. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 380; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
for fanboy everything looking class
138. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Yes that frame looks cheap and your trolling looks even cheaper.
142. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 380; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
you claim that Im trolling, but still respond my 'troll' comments. is there problem with you ?
14. fzacek (Posts: 1627; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Wow, this is a pathetic attempt by Samsung to save itself from the iPhone 6. In fact they're just worsening their reputation of releasing many mediocre phones rather than a few proper ones...
20. Awalker (Posts: 285; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Samsung is known for releasing products with a variety of screen sizes. This phone is keeping in line with that philosophy.
35. fzacek (Posts: 1627; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Yes, but they are also sh*tting on their S5 buyers. This is why the average Joe buys a simple iPhone instead of one of the hundreds of Samsung phones. Too much choice is not good...