Ouya is $99 game console built on Android
Hacking the Ouya is actually part of the whole idea, it’s actually build around the idea to be a developer kit, which you can use to root and build peripherals.
Android is the embedded OS, so we expect that developers will not only build games for the console, but can also easily leverage games from the Android platform. Interestingly, after you get the console all games are expected to be free. You just hook it up to your TV and play.
This is definitely one of the most interesting TV boxes we’ve seen in a while, so we’ll be keeping a close eye on this. In the meantime let us know, how do you like the idea?
source: AngelList via TheVerge
Ouya is a $99 Android game console Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
HTC One 2 aka HTC M8 rumor round-up: camera, specs, release date and design
05 Dec 2013, 10:44
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
03 Dec 2013, 05:54
Cyber Monday 2013 deals on phones, tablets and other electronics
01 Dec 2013, 10:55
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
Ouya is a $99 Android game console
2. nyuvo (Posts: 72; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Looks just like xbox360 dashboard before its latest visual update hah.
4. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Sorry but I don't like the idea..... I love it!
6. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
OMG yes. This should be a kickstarter project.
7. Gsmalltheway (Posts: 129; Member since: 15 Aug 2009)
Wow, this is actually a really good concept. But you can buy a good condition used 360 on Craigslist for 100 bucks
8. fraydoe (Posts: 57; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
this would not sell at all for the following reasons
1. *hey lets make a gaming console where you can freely hack anything* = its called a computer, or you can even hack the other gaming consoles
2. *but those systems are not open to freely hack* = im pretty sure if you can root and build peripherals you can figure out how to hack into a computer game or other console
3. *but its cheaper than those other systems* = as gsmalltheway said there are used consoles for the same price, and if your argument is that they cant play the android games, just get a cable to hook up your android phone to your tv.
9. downphoenix (Posts: 1991; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
This would be a good box to have some good ol' emulation on the TV.
10. beillax (Posts: 23; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
Wow I could actually see this happening in the near future and I could also see Apple make a game console as well.