LG G3 owners complain about cracks through the microphone opening
In Hong Kong, an entire forum thread has been devoted to the problem. So far, there has been no word from LG about the matter. Pictures from LG G3 owners with this issue, all show the same problem, with the same thin crack running through the microphone opening.
If you own the LG G3, has this crack appeared on your unit? Did you attempt to return the phone for a non-damaged model? As news of this flaw starts to spread, LG is going to have to come up with a way to save face, and to also make sure that those with a cracked handset receive a new unit.
LG G3 units show cracks near the microphone opening
Thanks for the tip!
8. GreekGeek (Posts: 844; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
for now....you wait for your turn lmao.....
I suspect that happens only when you apply too much pressure in your pocket (eg sitting, squatting etc)
51. Omarc07 (Posts: 268; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
same here mines Fine i even dropped it the other day when i was drunk nothing happend no cracks nada .
4. Dr.Phil (Posts: 927; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
If you look at the third pic, it looks as if the owner scraped the phone. So they may have dropped the phone for all we know. Not saying that this problem isn't happening, but merely pointing out that the picture given is not a great example.
10. cripton805 (Posts: 995; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
That's the plastic protector that comes on new phones to protect the bezels. Look closely.
5. Liveitup (Posts: 1565; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Not good, hopefully they get to the bottom of this soon, buyers should be given a replacement device, G3's a good phones
46. gomulkaaa (Posts: 22; Member since: 02 Sep 2011)
Replacement device? For that? Come on, man.
6. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1379; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
sony used to have thiis problem as well , chrome coating should never be applied to plastic
41. MacWiNux (Posts: 74; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
AFAIK is that the Xperia x1 the crack will apear after 6 months of usage?
9. wargreymon (Posts: 180; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
Had my G3 since June and nothing. I use my phone a lot and charge it pretty much daily. Most likely it's slightly more prone to break, but if people actually cared about being careful with their super expensive phone, it would be in mint condition.
70. matwin (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Nov 2014)
no nob head. the issue has nothing to do with dropping the phone or mis treating it, this is the most expensive electronic device I have ever purchased so I do look after it! it is either the material composition used in certain batches or a plain manufacturing defect. I have not dropped mine and have cracks thru microphone and ir blaster.
11. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3293; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Bad plastic. LG always uses cheap plastic. Unlike Nokia.
35. Takeharu (Posts: 82; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Polycarbonate is basically just a fancy name for plastic...
37. beheroth (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Aug 2014)
nope, polycarbonate is not a fancy name for plastic, but you could consider it one of the fanciest : it has excellent mecanical properties, low weight, excellent thermal stability and a great impact resistance. it's the same material used to build poilce riot shield and tonfa and it's used in bulletproof glass
55. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 911; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
But... But... It has thin bezels!
Jokes aside i remember the Galaxy S3 having an even bigger problem with cracks developing on the trim around the screen, and it was quite widespread even store demo units had them where i live.
14. naittosan (Posts: 234; Member since: 28 Jun 2014)
Glad I passed on this one to wait for the Motorola x+1
28. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3616; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Me too ^_^
waiting for the unveiling +1 for the X+1
15. 13Elves (Posts: 93; Member since: 21 Feb 2014)
Same thing happening with Xiaomi: terrible build quality and horrific software issues. Thats what ppl get from listening to anti-Samsung propaganda now u know better. LG is trash stick with a name brand Samsung.
21. fzacek (Posts: 2183; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Nexus 5 build quality is awesome, and it's made by LG. So not all LG phones are cheap trash with terrible build quality...
16. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 265; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Damn... Never happened to any of my galaxies with their inferior build quality.
17. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3616; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Ha, one single drop, and the thin bezels show their true side, display shattered!
26. vincelongman (Posts: 1681; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
But that's the bottom of the phone, so the bezel there is the same as many other phones
It's just LG's poor design or poor build materials/process
29. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3616; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Most phone drops, are on the frame/sides.
34. vincelongman (Posts: 1681; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
My point was that the frame cracked because of LG's poor design or materials or process
Not because of its small side bezels and small top bezel
The LG G3's bottom bezel isn't small, it's quite similar size to many other phones
53. McLTE (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Please explain how these thin bezels are any more fragile than thick bezels.
Both thin and thick bezeled phones have the same glass display that goes to the edge of the phone.
I could understand your argument if you were referring to the fact that the G3 has a very thin sides on it's chassis, which would offer less protection. Most phones these days have very minimal chassis coverage.
18. luis.d (Posts: 209; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
No problems here! Put a case on that fella and you're good to go.
27. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3616; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Wouldn't that ruin the beauty of the phone or defeat the purpose of slim bezels?
38. 13Elves (Posts: 93; Member since: 21 Feb 2014)
Derp ofc it wld but what do facts have to do with conversations with LG fanboys
40. DONUT (Posts: 307; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
more like what do facts have to do with ANY fanboy
49. Armchair_Commentator (Posts: 222; Member since: 08 May 2014)
No more than it would for any other phone, a case on a phone with slim bezels would still be thinner than a case on a phone with thicker bezels?
60. JadeMoon (Posts: 30; Member since: 12 Aug 2012)
Exactly! No problems with mine either and its been in a case since day one. A good quality screen protector also.
19. Armchair_Commentator (Posts: 222; Member since: 08 May 2014)
Have mine in a case, haven't dropped it, all is well!
20. babyboy14622 (Posts: 29; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
This is probably for the people who have poor cell phone companies
23. hamza14860 (Posts: 20; Member since: 30 Sep 2013)
Hey guys help me decide whether to buy HTC one m8 or LG g3 :)
30. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3616; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Neither, but if you've only two choices I would go for One m8
33. medtxa (Posts: 284; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
still if you manage to scratch the body you stuck with it. with lg you can still change back cover in case you got it chipped.
47. newbey123 (Posts: 451; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Get the M8, the best android device available right now, and quality build.
61. JadeMoon (Posts: 30; Member since: 12 Aug 2012)
LG G3. I had an HTC One M7 and I couldnt wait to ditch it for the LG G3. After owning a G3, I am never going back to HTC again!!!!
24. PDXMatt (Posts: 45; Member since: 26 Feb 2007)
How are we to know if these phones have been dropped or not? 2-3 complaints doesn't make for a "known issue."
25. PersianHobo (Posts: 56; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
the same thing happened with plenty of galaxy s 3's, so people need to chill and take care of their phones.
32. mitoita (Posts: 31; Member since: 03 Apr 2014)
i have an lg G3 32 gb since 15 may and i dont have this proble.....mby iff you drop th phone the plastik will crack..
42. fireblade (Posts: 714; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
meh... expensive phone built with cheap plastic
44. naittosan (Posts: 234; Member since: 28 Jun 2014)
Anyway you look at it this is not the kind of PR LG needs.
45. ZeeNasir (Posts: 8; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
its not issue with build quality, but its with user handling. In the video you can see its been used for a good period of time. May be a tactic to hurt LG sales :)
48. AFnerdTP (Posts: 86; Member since: 15 May 2012)
seeing as the problem is somewhat prevalent, i wouldn't doubt that the parts they used may be fragile.
with that said, i haven't noticed any defects on mine. as far as the microUSB port, it does have a weird angle to it that you have to be careful not to forcefully insert your cable. this has been an annoying point for me, but i only charge once a day and i'd rather be careful than see it damaged.
no big deal really.. just take your of phone.
50. namelessxsilent (Posts: 3; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
I've had the phone since day one and I dont have this issue. I do agree with the post though that sometimes it feels difficult to plug in the micro usb to charge the phone.
52. NateAdam8 (Posts: 225; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Complaints are always going to be made about something somebody enjoys and most the time when something breaks it's a USER ERROR.
54. Crossland22 (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Aug 2014)
for the USB issue. you only have to insert the cable a bit downward, and you are done! sorry if my english is not perfect! I´m not an english native speaker!
56. Tavtazani (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Aug 2014)
Hey you dont mention indonesian user? Most of the picture supplied are coming from indonesian user including me who also shot the video, I sent the picture and video to gsmdome.com and they mention that this cracked issue not only happened in hongkong but Indonesia, we also have a thread that discussed this issue in Kaskus, our local forum (sorry cant insert the url)
So please if you want to quote the news please make sure that you dont loose the essential.
Because we really need the exposure since here in Indonesia, LG Indonesia won't make any statement yet and so far they refuse to be responsible for the crack.
57. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3696; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Because... plastic is weaker in Indonesia due to mysterious forces? Please explain why this phenomenon is occurring. Is it related to the airplane crash?