Is Google crowd-sourcing the Nexus 5 announcement?
1. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Pulling my hair out with frustration!!! Would of LMAO 'd if you had written the article with f-bombs.
6. D.Aceveda (Posts: 396; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
I think it is great marketing, however I believe this WILL back fire on Google if they string it out for too long
Its been 60 days since Sept 1st, the announcement of Kit Kat. People are sick of waiting
12. greyhulk (Posts: 156; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
But then again, what's the alternative to waiting? Jumping ship to another platform? People can be as sick as they want of waiting. It probably won't change whether or not they buy the device when it's released. The more hype Google builds, the better it will probably sell.
I don't think there are many of us out there who thought these "leaks" were all accident. I strongly suspect that most leaks are intentional at this point.
16. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
No one outside of the tech-blogs and G+ even know about the Nexus 5. I doubt people will jump to a another OS but many potential buyers will simply buy a phone that IS available. I've seen a good amount of posts were people just bought the Note 3, G2, or Moto X because they got tired of waiting. If nothing happens today or tomorrow people will start to be turned off by the marketing stunt. I still wonder if there will ever be an announcement and if Google will just start selling it on Google Play to see how many Nexus 5 (and KitKat) they can sell without even having any kind of formal announcement. Guess we will find out soon...going back to pressing F5
17. akki20892 (Posts: 3900; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Hold on buddy hold on, u r now mad, we have to move you in mental hospital.
24. Tommy1960i (Posts: 119; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
A nice phone
And a good price
To Nexus Hello
To iPhone goodbye
No more problems
Now things are clear
We are out of trouble
The Nexus is here!
3. iyngr (Posts: 72; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
Will it be announced by tonight (IST) or not ?
4. improv (Posts: 96; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
I'm hoping for the 11am PST announcement/release rumor.
5. Jklaz (Posts: 159; Member since: 01 Jul 2013)
All of the hype and leaks make it more exciting so its a good strategy in my opinion
7. alannyny (Posts: 29; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
I find it very disappointing that Google chose to do a marketing tie-in for the new Android version. It seems tawdry and crass, and certainly Google doesn't need the paltry additional revenue. There's no other upside for Google, really.
The Kit Kat name has been associated with various louche businesses in the past.
Kit Kat the confection isn't recognized worldwide. Neither is Key Lime Pie, but at least (as a regional, traditional favorite) there are people all over the world who will find it interesting to learn about the dessert. Similarly, in the future Google can choose a non-US dessert that many people on hometurf will enjoy learning about.
So what'll it be ... Indian zarda or Turkish zerde?
14. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2701; Member since: 26 May 2011)
There has been no money exchanged between Google and Kit Kat, it's all about visibility and traffic.
18. mc1191 (Posts: 39; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
What is one of the most famous candies that start with the letter "K"?
Halloween... candies... letter K... Kit Kat...
My logic will be BS if they don't announce it today... lol
8. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
The anticipation is scary.
9. LoveHater (Posts: 176; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
It had to be dIfferent..... after all THIS IS GOOGLE
10. nanchomex (Posts: 3; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
I'm debating whether to buy right away or to wait to see if there'll be any black Friday sale (can you imagine if I could get the 32gb on sale)... advice pls
11. greathero1 (Posts: 563; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
They can keep the leaks coming and build all the hype they feel they need to. My only request is that they have adequate supply so that I don't have to wait 3 1/2 months like with the Nexus 4. Hopefully they also have the white version available at launch as well. I guess I am just waiting for Google to take my money lol.
13. harigrg33 (Posts: 181; Member since: 20 May 2013)
I hope the event is not jst a tea without sugar in it...
15. jove39 (Posts: 1827; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Yes...google is crowd sourcing...here is hand-on video -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
19. improv (Posts: 96; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
11am was correct!!
21. _PHug_ (Posts: 444; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
" We did a lot of work to get here, and it's almost time for the reward. " - Phonearena
Or is it?
22. nanchomex (Posts: 3; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
I like those spigen cases, which one looks better on the black nexus?
23. roldefol (Posts: 4108; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Nice work, Michael. I had that exact thought earlier this week. I didn't call it crowdsourcing, but I suspected they would skip the announcement, drop the device in Google Play, and let the tech sites do the rest.