HTC M8 to feature on-screen buttons - could it have the size of the original One?
According to @evleaks, the M8 will be the first HTC smartphone to have on-screen buttons. This means that the space used by the hardware buttons (and the HTC logo) on the original One will be taken by the extra screen estate. So the M8 might have about the same the size as HTC’s older flagship, while sporting a larger display.
One of the advantages that the use of a 1080p display instead of a Quad HD panel could have is a (theoretical) longer battery life. As a recent poll of ours is showing, a long-lasting battery is among the most desirable features that customers want in a smartphone. So maybe HTC will use this as a main weapon against the competition.
We One 2, or One+, or something else. Let's hope that official details will be unveiled soon.
1. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2604; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
What a mess again!!! Now with the Screen + Camera.
2. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
What's wrong with a 5 inch or more 1080p panel? And HTC One already had a fantastic display and this will probably be even better.
And how do you know about the camera? Have you seen sample pictures?
5. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2604; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
I mean display size with onscreen button, I hate that thing, it makes the screen small. No doubt One's display is brilliant and I love that.
Camera samples??? I have seen them, not that good compared to Sammy, LG, Sony, iPhone.
This is proved over here and most of the other tech sites.
8. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
You've seen sample pictures from the M8? Wow I wanna see them too! Ok I guess you just misunderstood me.
10. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2604; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Nope seen from One :) but as per rumors, camera will be the same 4 UP.
12. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
The rumours say it will have a dual 5 mpx camera.
21. surethom (Posts: 256; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
One a few rumors say 4UP most rumors say 6 or 8 UP which should be a massive improvement as 4UP was just way too small.
25. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
It will come with KitKat. And most good apps support Immersive Mode. So having onscreen buttons is a good thing.
7. teja171 (unregistered)
How can it be better ? The ppi density of 5" display is less than that of 4.7" display.
9. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yes because if the PPI isn't higher it can't be better, right?
18. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 816; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Well this sums up the average Joe, higher numbers = better.
@teja171 So brightness, contrast, viewing angles and color accuracy aren't important for you?
22. Dadler22 (Posts: 161; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
I've just come to say that the Q50 is awesome. That is all. Continue
15. Cellphonator12 (Posts: 27; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Only speculations, no official names yet.
23. Epicness1o1 (Posts: 208; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Why isn't anybody saying HTC One (2014) ...
4. teja171 (unregistered)
Sense 6.0 might look awkward with onscreen buttons. Imagine HTC one with sense 5 having onscreen buttons. It would look vile.
6. newbey123 (Posts: 407; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Thats awesome. Nice big screen, better battery life, best design and build quality. Can't wait to replace my One X with this beast.
13. Astoni (Posts: 495; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Well there has been rumors about Samsung going with on-screen buttons and now HTC... I don't want on-screen buttons and i don't want to switch to iphone but if it's true i have to... I currently own a z1 going from a s3.. and i f*cking hate On-screen buttons, just take screen space and makes the phone uneven when playing games and entering apps.
14. Klamba92 (Posts: 195; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
While that was a problem that is now changing with KitKat with apps supporting immersive mode and transparent on screen keys! I personally love them they are quicker than hardware buttons and rotate when needed! Easier to access things like Google now, but then again you might not care for those!
16. ryan5609 (Posts: 98; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
Not a big fan of the touch sensitive buttons outside of the screen. Went from Galaxy Nexus to GS4 to Nexus 5 and I gotta say that I was absolutely not a fan of the outside buttons. Especially the Home button on the GS4. Even though you lose a little screen real-estate, it's not like it gone forever, you get it back when watching movies, playing games, etc. On screen buttons are just easier to use and more intuitive if you ask me.
19. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 816; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Having used a Nexus 4 side by side with my One i can say on-screen buttons are just more responsive and more intuitive, but that's me, my sister had the Nexus and traded it for a Butterfly S because she didn't like on-screen buttons.
20. AfterShock (Posts: 2799; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
After leaving my one XL in the drawer and going the Nexus lineage route.
I can't imagine going back to off screen buttons, or hardware ones on the front at that.
17. NoFanboy (Posts: 221; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
Hopefully it'll have LG g2 like bezels then
24. Epicness1o1 (Posts: 208; Member since: 30 May 2013)
The beast is going to be released fck yeah(but please htc,pleaseee dont dissapoint the people with the camera now,hope the dual sensor will change everything)
26. tiara6918 (Posts: 1395; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I hate on screen buttons, I hope this rumor is false