Gingerbread now available for HTC ThunderBolt
Ever since day one, when the HTC ThunderBolt was released to the masses packing the dated Android 2.2 Froyo operating system, everybody wondered when the first LTE handset to hit the states would be getting the modern treatment that it deserves. Well ladies and gentlemen, that day is today, finally.
Verizon wants you to “get the most out of your ThunderBolt by HTC.” The PDF posted by Verizon shows all of the improvements that Thunderbolt users can expect to see when their device is updated. Here are the enhancements found in this update:
- Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details: Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each. Power efficiency mode option has also been added under Settings > Power.
- New Desktop User Interface: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Dock Icons: Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
All of this is only the tip of the iceberg as Android 2.3 Gingerbread delivers a bunch of other improvements to the HTC ThunderBolt. If you want to get the update and give your ThunderBolt the treatment it deserves then check out the link and enjoy.
15. MikeG77 posted on 27 Sep 2011, 12:32 0
Does what....oh you mean announcing an update that isn't even available yet? I just tried to get the update and its says there is no update available. It looks like my 1st week of October prediction may hold up after all BUT Verizon still has 4 days to prove me wrong : )
2. bubba78 posted on 27 Sep 2011, 09:52 0
This has been a long time coming. Wish I still had my thunderbolt so I could try it out.
3. sdgsdgsdsds (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 09:54 1
Now we just have to wait for the Charge to get GB....
28. True buttt.. (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 20:49 0
you could just root it with EP1W
62. jogutier posted on 29 Sep 2011, 15:25 0
This phone really does need to be rooted with this slow @ss processor. Why is it slow much slower than the TB?
4. Mac and cheese (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 10:05 2
THANK GOD ALMIGHTY WE HAVE GINGERBREAD AT LAST!!
13. google_root (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 11:30 0
SHAME ON YOU BECAUSE MOST OF THE THUNDERBOLT USERS WHO ROOTED THEIR DEVICES ARE ALREADY GETTING BORED WITH GINGERBREAD AND ARE ALREADY WAITING FOR ICE CREAM SANDWICH.
5. really (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 10:09 0
Still says coming soon so its not out yet. I tried the system update and no update.
18. TBowner (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 14:43 0
Same here... anybody actually get it yet?
36. tbolt<3 (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 23:50 0
it is now available!
42. really (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 02:14 0
Yes it is. Thanks
6. Jose (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 10:16 0
Not YET!!! I tried the steps by going to Menu>Settings>Software Update>Check New.
I guess they are more interested in updating their website and PDFs before making the update available. Phone Arena should have mentioned that the updates are not yet available, this post is really deceiving.
7. Deadmanwalking (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 10:26 0
This isn't something that should be trumpeted but something that should speak to how sad upgrades are. Here we are on the verge of Ice Cream Sandwich and the Thunderbolt is just getting Gingerbread which day-viewed almost a year ago? This makes me have second thoughts about buying any HTC phone including this new Vigor.
8. mandolo77 (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 10:29 0
no update available.
9. superdesi (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 10:51 0
ya i just check mine says no update available either
10. DROIDX0430 posted on 27 Sep 2011, 10:57 1
This is All a mind game played by All manufacturers...HTC is no different. For the reviewer to say phone has been out a year..actually it was released Mar 17 after numerous delays and problems plaqued with the worse battery life on a phone to date. Gingerbread could have been on this phone a lot earlier. As a die hard DROID user this is the kind of fragmentation across Android that annoys me. We have eclair froyo gingerbread with icecream in the future...way too much for any carrier or manufacturer to keep up with. The original droid incredible is running gb..just wondering why the thunderbolt is just receiving gb. Maybe its the release of the vigor...because its definately gonna cost 300 bucks and with the tb costing 249 at vw htc with have buyers on both sides...good philosophy on how this one rolled out because the tb was about to be extinct....but now its back to life...just hope those reboots dont appear again...
23. Yeeee posted on 27 Sep 2011, 15:56 1
actually my droid incredible hasnt recieved it. no one has except for the few thousand that are testing it
40. andreww.1993 posted on 28 Sep 2011, 01:39 0
Still waiting actually :/ and it just sucks to be waiting, let me say. Oh well, all in sweet time.
11. Davecjr (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 11:05 0
Not really there yet!
12. D (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 11:13 0
Dammit. No update available yet.
14. Larry_ThaGr81 posted on 27 Sep 2011, 11:51 0
Happy for those who aren't rooted that they get the opportunity to enjoy Gingerbread as I have now for the past month or two.
16. TB (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 13:37 1
^THANKS!!! I was just too nervous rooting my TB nd also i didnt know how to do it either i didnt wanna mess it up i hope the update is worth the wait
17. :l (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 13:55 0
I think HTC is so...irresponsible? Werent thay saying anytime time now we could recieve the update YOU KNOW!! If they were gonna release it the LAST WEEK IN SEPTEMBER they should of just told us instead of letting us stand there like idiots.....they still male some pretty good devices though BUT they just gotta get the software out there sooner
19. Jasonhunterx posted on 27 Sep 2011, 15:08 0
Gingerbread looks amazing on SAMOLED the blacks are soooo deep enjoy Thunderbolt
20. The_Miz posted on 27 Sep 2011, 15:16 2
Lol, typical Android manufacturer bs. T-bolt has been out for how long now, and it's just NOW getting Gingerbread when ICS is about to be released?
26. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 27 Sep 2011, 18:00 0
I hate to admit it but the MIZ does have a point.
IMO this should have gotten upgraded to GB a long time ago and it's at this point, a pointless upgrade.
For bug fixes only.
21. applesh*t (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 15:21 0
that's just how it goes deuschbag.
24. mandolo77 (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 16:05 0
Still says Coming Soon:
Software Update: HTC Thunderbolt™ - COMING SOON!
27. Hipster (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 20:02 0
This just confirms what I have come to know about HTC since buying the Thndrblt...they put it out before rigorous testing to be the first 4G phone on the market. Then they had to spend a great deal of time fixing the bugs...time that should have been spent developing GB for it. They are now so far behind on the Thndrblt that I don't believe for one second that we'll ever see ICS (ice cream sandwich) on these phones...it simply won't be practical what with the fast turnover of new phones and new operating systems.
As for me, I will never buy an HTC product again! I have been misled, uninformed, and kept in a dark, lonely corner much too long with a highly inferior yet ultra expensive and, for the most part, useless phone.
30. sleepyjohnny posted on 27 Sep 2011, 21:21 0
i downloaded it and wiped my phone from the web. the update needs fixing. There are a few glitches
31. Ditrac (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 21:26 0
Is it just me or dose it seem like TB owners get pushed to the curb non-stop.
well we was first to own a Verizon 4G phone.... that lasted a couple hours... then 1x kept showing up and if you was lucky you could get 3G for a hour or so.
I really thought Microsoft was the only company that could sale a product half finished.... but now HTC shows up... HAHA I went from being disappointed to pissed off to now just laughing my ass off. It’s pretty much like this…. HTC you got me bent over and showed me you could screw me real good….. BUT you will never get my money for your half done junk again….. Let me find the words… bite me HTC…. And Verizon is close to being fired also….
32. Pbody posted on 27 Sep 2011, 22:19 0
Phone Arena, I love yah but why the hell would you tag this article as "Gingerbread now available" when it clearing isn't. Even on Verizon's page it states "Coming Soon!" I find this extremely dishonest and you should modify the contents of this article immediately... that is if you have a moral compass. Please don't turn to the dark side along with media outlets such as faux news and conservative radio.
49. Ian.M posted on 28 Sep 2011, 08:21 0
It is available now, but it is being pushed to everybody slowly. Should have your share in time my friend.
33. Tmchorba (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 23:04 0
The update just came live to my phone as of 1201 am e.t.
34. rae (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 23:44 0
Ppl are now dl the gingerbread update for thunderbolt.
35. superjosh :D (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 23:50 0
My update is downloading now :)
37. finally (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 00:32 0
It's here!!! Downloading in background now!!!! Seriously
38. _adam (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 00:43 0
this is the same build as the last leaked RUU and there are still no voicemail notifications.
39. john (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 01:34 0
OMG i got the update and i got 2 words for everyone... ITS AWESOME. I feel like its a dual core phone the browser is smooter than a gs2 and everything is so fast and smooth.
41. Ernesto (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 02:04 0
Got my update finally at 00:00
43. Reddevil (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 02:58 0
Got my update hopefully this shuts up all of the whiners and non believers.
46. nick (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 06:23 0
Got it last nite 2.3.4.
47. heatherrp80 (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 06:49 0
Downloading now! been waiting for a long time! :)
48. Boo Ya! (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 08:13 0
Boo Ya! I'm very happy about the update. Does it make a big difference? I'm not downloading until tonight. Thanks. Boo Ya!
50. cheeseycheeser posted on 28 Sep 2011, 09:07 0
Finally got it! Disappointed. Confirmed my worst fears. Only 2.1. I was hoping that for a flagship phone with the same processor as the Rhyme that runs 3.5, they would update sense. Really update it. My phone is buttery smooth. But nothing has changed! There's now quick settings in the notifications bar, and a tabbed app drawer. Exciting. They could have at least given us the freaking lock screen! The CHACHA has it. CHACHA!!!!!! I mean at least it's Gingerbread. But ugh. Why did it take so long for this update?!
51. willywill_evo posted on 28 Sep 2011, 09:17 0
I got it this moring..everything goin smooth so far
52. PhilT (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 10:08 0
Just got my update this morning.
53. juan (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 15:19 0
ITS AVAILABLE I JUST STARTED DOWNLOADING IT NOW!
56. waka lika kitaitty (unregistered) posted on 28 Sep 2011, 20:52 0
this just in their was a update that came out between yesterday and today but it wasn't gingerbread trust me i got a thunderbolt and i did the update this morning and spoke with a customer service person with verizon and they said its still froyo just a normal update
59. vzwservesmewell posted on 29 Sep 2011, 14:08 0
Android version 2.3.4 is what the phone updates to and that is definately GB and not Froyo. I am a Verizon Person. You're mistaken.
57. Kletinswiss (unregistered) posted on 29 Sep 2011, 02:25 0
I have read your blog & i bought lot of usefull information with your blog.
Thank you so much for sharing.
58. vzwservesmewell posted on 29 Sep 2011, 14:02 0
Downloaded it yesterday and its working great!
60. Boat (unregistered) posted on 29 Sep 2011, 14:26 0
Is anyone else having issues where you click open the menu and press certain apps and they don't respond. If you close menu and open it back up it works fine.
61. zake (unregistered) posted on 29 Sep 2011, 14:49 0
well updated it and worse reboot problems then ever and mem dump like crazy.
not an improvemt at all