"Geeky" Shaq spends $1000 a week on apps, awaits the Apple iWatch
Shaq is such a tech guy, that before the OG Apple iPhone launched, he called Steve Jobs to see if he could obtain a pre-release unit. But even a big-time star like Shaq (who was playing for the Miami Heat when the Apple iPhone was launched) could not persuade Jobs to give him an iPhone before the launch.
The 7 foot 1 inch O'Neal says that he spends $1000 a week on apps, searching for the the next big thing in tech. Considering his height and size, we'd say that wherever he goes, Shaq is the biggest thing in tech. He admitted to buying 20 Deer Hunter type games last week, and when it comes to social media he says 60% of his messages are designed to make you laugh. Laughter, says Shaq, reduces stress. 30% of his messages are inspirational and the remaining 10% is Shaq trying to sell you something like FitBit.
Shaq is just like many of our readers. He wants to be the first to have a shiny new device in his massive hands, and he says that he is awaiting the release of the unannounced Apple iWatch. At SXSW, where Shaq has been hanging around, he says he is like a "kid in a candy store." You can check out the interview with one of the most famous former athletes around, by clicking on the video below.
1. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
He doesn't spend a $1000 a week on apps... Ok...
2. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9812; Member since: 14 May 2012)
$1,000 a week on apps. That's rent money!
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 15251; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I met him once in Vegas, at the Sands Expo Center. That dude is huge, and cool as ice he was nice enough to say hello to my mom over the phone, when I told him how much she loved him. +1 big dawg.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 15251; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This was in 95, when he was with Orlando. I was at work, and we had no camera phones then :(. That encounter is what made me a fan of his, as I was a bulls fan then.
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9812; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The Bulls dominated the 90's. My father's man cave is literally all Bulls memorabilia with a pool table and the gigantic 52" Mitsubishi TV against the wall lol.
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 15251; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Would've been 8 straight if Jordan hadn't went to play baseball.
27. JunitoNH (Posts: 1286; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Yes, very humble individual, rare indeed. I met him at Universal Studios Florida, three years ago; he was on the boardwalk, coming out of the movies.
15. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
+1 for the light side of things over feck.
4. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 174; Member since: 15 May 2013)
A Note 3 must look like an iPhone in Shaq's hands
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9812; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Size wise lol.
I wonder how the Z Ultra would look in his hands...
12. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1062; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
More like a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 or a Huawei MediaPad M1.
8. maherk (Posts: 2353; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I bet he uses his iPad as an iPhone. No way those hands are able to play dear hunting game on anything that has less than 7 inch screen!
23. TheGenius (Posts: 339; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Be it 1st gen or the 5s .. they all are same sized.!
14. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 426; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
$1000 a week on apps? I can't find apps worth $50 to spend on in a year
17. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I suspect largely tunes but who knows.
18. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Dosnt he realise that his iPhone looks like a medicine tablet on his palm, he should get a z ultra, that would be like a s4 on his hand lol
19. LuckyS (Posts: 154; Member since: 07 Dec 2013)
Shaq is Apple fanboy. Now, I must hide for some time.