Apple's 5.44" phablet orders pegged at only 10 million, due to the $280 sapphire display yield
6. ihavenoname (Posts: 1576; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Remeber how much 128gb Macbook Air costs... No, won't be over 1k. They are even most likely going after customers who buy Note series. But definitely it's gonna be expensive.
9. ihavenoname (Posts: 1576; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Well, I can see €999 for 64gb possible. Whatever brand, OS, specs, IMO that's WAYYYYY too much for a smartphone.
10. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3464; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yup. When people realize they could get a OnePlus One and a decent Ultrabook or high end tablet, they will go crazy.
33. Finalflash (Posts: 2068; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
No they won't, you keep thinking the market for iPhones consists of sane, logical people who think at margin. Well the market for iPhones is anything but that, and so no one will go crazy. The tech press will wag its tail and eat it right up. The fanboys will spin history and spin reality, or whatever needs it, to fit their mindset and justify their zealotry. The industry will once again take a step back trying to emulate a company that is long past its prime but makes more money than them because they have religious cultists buying their stuff without question for 5 times the cost. This is just how tech will progress until someone comes up with the next revolution.
40. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1482; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
"5 times the cost"? Tell me, Mr. "Definitely Not An Overzealous Android Cultist," what phone is on par with the iPhone at half the cost, let alone 20% of that cost? Maybe there is an MBA or MBP competitor that is half the cost, let alone 20% of the cost, of either machine?
It seems to me as if the primary metrics in your purchasing decisions number two: Is it cheap, and does it run Android? Seems like a dark world to live in, to me, where choice is only afforded to those who live in your G-Cave.
Would you like me to grab you some ice? It seems your Kool-Aid has gotten warm.
42. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
Iphone has had weaker specs all around than Samsung/LG/Sony Phone of the same year for last 5 years at least and it cost more with no upgradable SD Card. Some guy wanted to marry his Mac Computer, iCult are freaks of nature.
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6963; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
na it would be higher than that price tag.
2. dontneedtoknow (Posts: 154; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
I have a feeling it will be atleast 299 on contract for 16 GB. I hope it's just not stretched iPhone and also hope sapphire screen will be as good as it sounds like
3. Antimio (Posts: 291; Member since: 11 Nov 2013)
"Thus, Apple has to charge a premium to maintain margins"
As usual... Mother of expensive!
4. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Lmao throw Steve job out the window
5. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Wonder how much it cost Sony for there Dragon trail glass...
35. TheGenius (Posts: 339; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Dragon trail is cheaper than gorilla glass I guess.!
50. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Dragon trail is better than gorilla
8. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 470; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
I remember hearing that Apple might use a thin sapphire coating instead of full on sapphire for this reason. With Apple's profit margins I doubt they could even get hardcore Apple fans to buy this thing when a single component costs that much. And when the new iPads come around? Oh boy.
43. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
iCreditCard iBankruptcy iObey. Apple fans are a cult they will do whatever it takes to come to their corporate overlord's defense.
51. dontneedtoknow (Posts: 154; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
Actually most apple user I talk to are sane. I think you live in some crazy world!
11. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2016; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
A apple phablet, could kill off the note series.. Now a days, non one cares about a stylus..
12. Amw86 (Posts: 36; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
Thank you Lord, I don't know how any of us would form opinions without you.
15. Sauce (unregistered)
without the Lord?
13. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3464; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
LOLOL. This will just add some more icons :)
16. Sauce (unregistered)
LOLOL and billions more dollars into the hands of the richest most profitable most wealthiest tech, or should I say smartphone company, in the world :)
25. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3464; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
So? You want to give your money to them just to get more icons?
26. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
apple, microsoft and facebook are creepy companies followed by sh-eee-p, I just love how Samsung is eating them up. :)
39. Sauce (unregistered)
Funny, because what it really comes down to is WHY the "sh-eee-p" don't leave their farm. Apple, Microsoft, and Facebook must be doing something right. As for Samsung, or the herding dog, they always get replaced when they can't get the sheep to budge.
44. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
At least Microsoft doesn't have an obsession of keeping other hardware makers from touching their OS like Apple does. But yeap Linux/Opensource FTW.
20. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6963; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
How can it? The NOTE Series is far less expensive if they make a iphablet it will be the most over price phone ever.
23. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2016; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
True that, as mentioned in the article
31. SamDroid (unregistered)
Don't forget that these phones will be on contract so...yeah, they might get a lot of profit
48. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6963; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
may be the most expensive contract price 399$ for 2 yr
57. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
So wrong DUUUUDE.... EVEN IF Apple released an iPhablaWannabe, it would never offer the software or features available on the Note 3 (or Note 2); it would just be an oversized iPhone or an undersized iPad - either way it would still be one OVERPRICED iDuD with the same ole BORING (I wanna slit my wrists) obsolete features. I can accomplish the same by gluing two iPhone 4S'sss together.
14. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
They'll make their profit, one way or another off users.
Probably force carriers to subsidize over three or four years on contact to end users.
32. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 470; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Oh god that would be a vile trend for Apple to start.
53. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If they can't get the carriers to bite on a higher entry price, the next step is a longer term for the contract. I think Canada has three year contract terms as one example. One way or another, Apple is trying to iScrew the customer.
17. redmd (Posts: 998; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Interesting. I like Apple for their small sizes.
18. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
This is great. I hope Apple continues to price themselves out of the mainstream mobile device market.
21. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
That is one reason for Android and WP gaining market share.
45. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
Choice + Freedom > iCult. It's only a matter until history will repeat itself, just like with computers. Apple's days are numbered and the iWatch won't save them.
49. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6963; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Wish they would get out of the mobile market. All they do is sue everyone. They want to CONTROL THE MOBILE industry.
22. Planterz (Posts: 1432; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
So with Apple's price inflation, what will this phone ultimately cost? $1500 for the 16gb model? $2000 for the 64gb?
30. jroc74 (Posts: 5254; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I cant wait to see the price....and how Apple is going to justify it....
Surprise us Apple and make it cost similar to current phones.
36. TheGenius (Posts: 339; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Nah.. they'll just give it an insanely high price tag and then make you believe that this is prefect amount that you should be paying for such a beautiful and powerful device that has an extra row of icons.!
46. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
But but but dat Retina Display though.
27. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Can't even produce a phablet, and when they do it'll be out of reach, really I'd rather get a flagship droid or wp along with a high end tablet and still have money left,
29. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
yes, I know .. but knowing apple and knowing greed and sh-ee-p costumers .. well you get the picture ..
37. attagent (Posts: 4; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
People who's owns a ferrari doesn't ask about price, just quality, those persons iphone phablet was disigned for.
38. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 470; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
No, when a company produces ten million of a product it's definitely not for the one percent. A lot of customers would like to think they're society's elite but it's just not true.
41. jroc74 (Posts: 5254; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
When you say quality....that can have different meanings...
Quality of components, materials...or quality as in more reliable....
I remember when BMW's had more issues than Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc.
In those cases...which is quality to you......and that will tell yourself what type of person you are, what you want most.
Me...I want dependable, reliable over premium materials....
47. wolfsaviorzx (unregistered)
Ferrari is usually owned by another brand (I know ford owned it for awhile but they sold it to increase profit margins) because it's not really profitable. It's more of marketing move. Problem with Apple they don't have affordable phones and with Freedom + Choice of Android. Apple will be completely destroyed by Android.
52. muhsen (Posts: 275; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
Off topic : Ford never owned ferrari. There was some talk long ago but nothing came out. Fiat does own ferrari and recently owns chrysler/jeep. Anyway, ferrari sales increase every year and bring some profit to fiat so do iphone sales with Apple.
54. antonioli (Posts: 199; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
Ok, I'm selling my car to buy it. Is anyone interested to buy?
55. techperson211 (Posts: 890; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Closer to becoming an ipad mini. And they'll call it innovation. Wow. Really amazing. And the best part of it. is just you can download apps so that your small brother/sister/child can play with it. While you just use it to call and text and Bragg to your friends that you have ifruit. How happy.
58. JunitoNH (Posts: 1172; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
And the Galaxy Tab, entire series, and Nexus 7 don't look like phones?
56. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I kind of feel bad for anyone buying this iPhablet wannabe - it will still be smaller than many Android devices and cost so much more - 299 2 yr price - probably 899 at full price...when will these people ever learn...