8.9-inch HTC Volantis rumored to have 5GB of RAM, might be an Android Silver tablet
According to @evleaks, the early renders of the HTC Volantis were fake. Reportedly, the tablet might feature a whopping 5GB of RAM, although this isn’t “final.” Other features that the Volantis should offer at launch include an 8.9 inch display with 2,560 x 1,600 pixels, BoomSound speakers, 5MP / 8MP rear camera, silver aluminum unibody, 64GB of storage space, and a 64-bit Nvidia Tegra K1 processor (a Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 version may also be tested - however, Snapdragon 810-based devices aren't expected to be commercialized before 2015).
@evleaks posted an “HTC Volantis macro shot” which shows the codename Flounder, while mentioning “Android Silver OS Alpha 1.4.” So the tablet might be one of the first to be included in Google’s yet to be announced Android Silver program.
7. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3828; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Wow a proper 64bit tablet with the proper RAM. 4GB+.
If this pans out & it's an Android Silver Tablet... I will DEFINITELY purchase!!!
24. arenanew (Posts: 140; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
5gb lookinf htc are drunken to much alcohlic this are market gimmick
26. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3828; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Well lets see who knows... They said the same when the rumors said Samsung's Note 3 would have 3GB of RAM.
So let's wait and see. If a smartphone can pack 3GB of RAM, a tablet shouldn't have a problem packing 5GB...
27. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1131; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Releasing a 64bit OS with devices having only 1gig of Ram is a gimmick.
30. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3828; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Remember everything changes. Today's top-end devices will be tomorrow's mid-range devices & before not too long they become entry-level devices.
The future will be 64bit & then it will become the norm. Today's budget phones have 720p HD screens. That was top end less than 3 years ago.
It has to start somewhere & sometime... It looks like it will be Q4 of '14 to Q1 of '15 when the 64bit is normal among top-end devices.
40. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1205; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Why would 5gb a gimmick? If Android Silver is something that Google's way to compete with the Surface Pro which brings more of "desktop" experience to the users. We have no idea what Android Silver is at this point and if the tablet is going to have 5 GBs then there is a reason.
16. Daboss (Posts: 39; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
Nah. Most people that buy iPads don't care about specs. As long as it works and has that shiny logo behind.
34. Iodine (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Oh an android tablet at 399 is not even going to sell, without even mentioning that it will had to face new iPads which will just kind of crush this.
41. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6188; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Better sexier looking than the ASUS NEXUS TAB ;) and better than their HTC FLYER TABLET.
2. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1205; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
This might be my second table ever!! I can't wait to see it to come out
3. surethom (Posts: 231; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
Nice but will it have more than a silly 8gb or 16gb storage. 32gb Storage MINIMUM on all mid to highend tablets & phone PLEASE
5. aayupanday (Posts: 503; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Evleaks stated a 64GB model in that post.
4. maxkobi (Posts: 30; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
there is no way this thing will come with 5 gig ram. I'm calling BS. Like we have sen in the market once one company pushes the next level everyone tries to equalize and match it. When the Note 3 hit 3 gigs ram companies still went with 2 on a lot of flagship phones. I cant possibly see a 2-3 gig jump. plus since KK it isnt needed. but yes more is always better. Is the K1 chip 64 bit? if not then there is really no point other then marketing some BS
6. ajac09 (Posts: 1358; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I doubt it will have 5 gig of memory. 2 Most likely..3 maybe.
28. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1131; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
3gig is the minimum for a flagship phone. The Note 3 set that bar last year.
9. gaara6775 (Posts: 223; Member since: 20 May 2014)
As it has tegra k1 which is 64bit it should have at least 4gb ram. So if its 5gb that's a killer tablet .
10. KillerKeyboard (Posts: 307; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Open the floodgates! (64 bit)
4GB ++++ RAM here we goooooo!
13. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 199; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Sucks that HTC doesn't back AMOLED screens. This will have S-LCD like the M7 and M8.
15. power_x (Posts: 209; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Shut up and
Take my money
Take my soul
Take my girlfriend
Take my family
Take my iPad
Take my house
Take my car
36. Iodine (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
OK I will take all of that... Which iPad do you have ?
38. TheGenius (Posts: 287; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
I would have asked about girlfriend and the car.!
Why would you care about an ipad?
44. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1560; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
If he is willing to give her up for a tablet she's probably a fatty uggo
18. Commentator (Posts: 2319; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Neat! I wonder how HTC will do, given this is their first tablet in three years.
19. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
I doubt 5gb, I think I'll Trust Android police leak this time with the 2gb ram.
20. boosook (Posts: 927; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
LOOOL! And what would you do with 5gb on a tablet when 2gb are still enough for stock android?
35. Tritinum (Posts: 39; Member since: 06 May 2014)
“Android Silver OS Alpha 1.4.” A new os is coming for tablets so chances are 2gb might not be enough.
23. vuyonc (Posts: 152; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
25. arenanew (Posts: 140; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
what a market i know all android user are monkey brain , most of androi user downling ram what a joke . 5gb ha ha what a poorly marketing by phonearena and htc
29. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1131; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I want an order of pork fried rice and 2 egg rolls. Hold the money brains.
32. fzacek (Posts: 1329; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Don't talk about poorly marketing. Apple holds that title...
33. fzacek (Posts: 1329; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
This will be an awesome tablet. The only thing that troubles me is the look of HTC's silver-colored devices. They're always a mix of black and silver parts, which makes it look pretty ugly and even a little cheap. Hopefully there is a gunmetal or black version...
37. karamelakimo (Posts: 53; Member since: 26 May 2014)
Personally I think 5 gb of ram is too much may be I can believe it will come with 4 gb of ram but wtf
This is going to be a beast and best tablet ever if it come with Tegra k1 and even 2gb of ram with that resolution and hold on it will be made by HTC (awesome quality and well built)
I'm going to buy Ipad air soon and think to buy a mini tablet later may be i'll start saving my money from now :D
42. BattleBrat (Posts: 1047; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
oh my, it must have the Nvidia dual core processor in it the Denver I believe it's called. take my money!
43. newbey123 (Posts: 389; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Yes!! This thing needs to hurry up and be released. I have been waiting until Google and HTC got back together to make a tablet worth buying. HTC build, boom sound speakers and android silver!! Take my money. Just wish it was a 10', but oh well.