Galaxy АI - A game-changer or a gimmick?

Join the discussion
• 4mo ago

All the naysayers saying it's gimmicky. But if Apple had did the exact same thing, everyone saying its gimmicky would be saying how great it is.

So many Samsing hating hypocrites on thos site writers and all.

If you all are so smart, why don't you come up with something better and then sell your idea to oems and get rich. You can't b2cause you're not that smart.

So many Samaing haters. If it wasn't for them many phone that now have advanced features likely wouldn't have them or would have them much later.

• 4mo ago
↵AltronLivez51 said:

Until they change th2 camera sensor, there is zero need to change th3 design of th3 phone. End even when th3y do change it for a new sensor, its still gonna be a rectangle slab with a difference lens pattern. Complain about how a phone looks is just dumb. No one else is changing their phone all that much.

I am complaining my friend because for this price Samsung should give you "luxury" phone,that's why is the most expensive one from Android!Each one with his view,but my view say is not right to pay good money for a phone that looks like 2 years ago,especially the back system camera!I was a Samsung fan,now I own S23 Ultra 512GB but is not right the Samsung marketing strategy to make more profit ,increase every year the price and get less for the money you pay!It's like buying a Remastered game my friend!And "dumb" it's that person who judge someone without to analyze and after take a decision!

Aleksandar Anastasov
Aleksandar Anastasov
Phonearena team
• 4mo ago

One way or another, AI is the medium through which we will be getting upgrades and improvements from now on IMO. Hardware is nearly perfected, or at least good enough. There's only so much a manufacturer can do within the confinements of a phone's body. We are even close to the point of having the smallest chipsets placed inside of them, sooo... you know.

• 4mo ago
↵MihaiRO said:

I am complaining my friend because for this price Samsung should give you "luxury" phone,that's why is the most expensive one from Android!Each one with his view,but my view say is not right to pay good money for a phone that looks like 2 years ago,especially the back system camera!I was a Samsung fan,now I own S23 Ultra 512GB but is not right the Samsung marketing strategy to make more profit ,increase every year the price and get less for the money you pay!It's like buying a Remastered game my friend!And "dumb" it's that person who judge someone without to analyze and after take a decision!

I understand. But if you look at all phones, the phone designed was forced to be changed, when they changed the camera sensor.

So please tell, since this phone is using basically an undated version of the same sensor since the S20U, what change in the design in the phone can they make?

You can't just change the design for no reason. The design usually changes with the sensor change because a new shape sensor requires the case to be designed around it.

I didn't say you were wrong. Just saying complaining about the design is lame. And yes the price is high. But cars have a high price too, they don't change designs every year and no one complains.

Many foods we eat and clothes we wear don't change much if at all over decades and many of those things cost more than a phone. No one complains.

Just saying at this stage the candy-bar style phone reached its pentacle in design years ago. Its a flat boring slap of metal and glass.

Change just for the sake of change is not gonna mean much.

• 4mo agoedited

Gimmick... especially when you have to pay for it. There is AI code in all sorts of useful places on the internet; Python Wiki's, open source ML code repositories, etc... why in the world would I pay for AI when I can collect enough open source pieces of code, already mostly coded, to assemble my own AI/ML application? I have already done this for myself... granted, I am sure that there are plenty of AI/ML applications by real developers which have had so much more invested in them, more time, capital resources, and money, that are far, far better than anything that I could cobble together in the last year and a half... on a Chromebook as a terminal... running mostly on VM/cloud-servers that I can borrow resources on for free, just because I buy storage from them already, and also just because they are there... as I say, I prefer my computing to be "disposable, distributed, just-enough, just-in-time..."

• 4mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

These are just rumors at this point. Plus, almost all of these features have been available for some time on Pixel phones (and even on the Asus Zenfone 9). I think ALL Android flagships from now on will have them in some form or another. There's no point for Samsung to ask money for it...

It is not a rumour so to speak.

Samsung's own product page for the s24 series even says vaguely that it will only be guaranteed free until at least 2025, of course they could simply never charge for it or they could give it free for 2 years with every new phone purchase kind of like a bundle of sorts, but the fact that is on their official page and clearly written shows it is intended for further scope in the future

QUOTE **Galaxy AI features will be provided for free until at least the end of 2025 on supported Samsung Galaxy devices**

• 4mo agoedited
↵MariyanSlavov said:

These are just rumors at this point. Plus, almost all of these features have been available for some time on Pixel phones (and even on the Asus Zenfone 9). I think ALL Android flagships from now on will have them in some form or another. There's no point for Samsung to ask money for it...

Not a rumor. The Ai PAYWALL is real and Samsung mentions this on the site. I actually spoke with a rep via chat who confirmed this. Google cant supply all the galaxies out there with free AI forever.

• 4mo ago

If a universal translator is a gimmick, what did we watch all of those sci-fi movies for? It's a lot more useful use of processing power than a marginally differently processed smartphone photo.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 3mo ago
↵TheRealDuckofDeath said:

If a universal translator is a gimmick, what did we watch all of those sci-fi movies for? It's a lot more useful use of processing power than a marginally differently processed smartphone photo.

True, I would love to see the Babel fish from the Hitchhiker's Guide in action! I have my doubts, though. As one of my Spanish-speaking colleagues pointed out, no one speaks that slowly and articulates so impeccably in the real world. Can't wait to put this to the test.

• 3mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

True, I would love to see the Babel fish from the Hitchhiker's Guide in action! I have my doubts, though. As one of my Spanish-speaking colleagues pointed out, no one speaks that slowly and articulates so impeccably in the real world. Can't wait to put this to the test.

Yeah, if it can't handle natural speech it's not very useful. That said, Bixby itself is actually quite good at understanding bad/lazy English. Better than my annoying Echo Dot, I'd say.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless