Update brings new homescreen widgets to Nokia 808 PureView and other Symbian Belle models
Also part of the update is the Mirror widget, which is a shortcut to a front-facing camera and allows the user to check his or her face at a very low QVGA resolution. The Toggle Flashlight turns the LED lights into a serviceable flashlight while the Stopwatch offers basic timing functions. Contacts Communication allows you to call or message a contact using one touch. Lastly, depending on which phone you have been totin', the Latest Mail widget could be part of the update. Guess what that widget does!
You might also see updates for You Tube, your phone's Gallery and Wi-Fi with the update. It's all part of the package which could end up making the trek to older refreshed Symbian models as well.
source: AllAboutSymbian via MyNokiaBlog
5. Johnnokia (Posts: 911; Member since: 27 May 2012)
Nokia is still supporting phones more than 5 years old.
Really great customer support. Feeling so sad to see this great company loosing because of a dull CEO.
11. akbarkool (Posts: 42; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
Srsly cant wait to get this on my nokia 701
13. Darkerm (Posts: 280; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
on the other hand Sony don't even want us xperia S used to have JB update -_-
18. yahoo29 (Posts: 71; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
They are losing in smartphone battle but in feature phones like asha series they are not losing.
14. weinerslav (Posts: 126; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
why would someone thumb you down? Are you people crazy? Whats wrong with a company supporting their phones?
15. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Hmmm. I wonder if this is what Nokia was building the anticipation over for today? Good news for legacy Nokia phone owners, though.
17. akki20892 (Posts: 3808; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
it is great news no doubt, don't know about nokia n8. :(
26. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
are you really a nokia fan?
33. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1157; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
just because i misread something or didn't read it propely you ask me if
I'm well guess what i'm and will always be loyal to nokia and jolla since they're pretty much nokia too
12. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1157; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
oh sorry i misread that, silly me
29. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
just click the software update! or search for it!
6. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
I would love for Nokia to make an Android device. I know they'd make something great!
7. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3268; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I icons at the last row does look like Android...
8. alterecho (Posts: 1096; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Thats a user installed theme. The original author of the article, from allaboutsymbian.com, has it installed on his phone, and these screenshots are from his phone.
9. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3268; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
O, alright. Thanks man :) appreciated.
I thought it won't be a good move if Nokia did that.
30. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
those are from the app called belle extra buttons! :)
16. krimHD (Posts: 106; Member since: 23 May 2012)
lovely, can't wait to get this on my Nokia 700 up symbian :D
19. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i still didnt recieve the widget update though. I only recieve youtube, wifi and telephony.
I still hope that nokia will continue symbian!
20. aco96 (Posts: 232; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Nokia 808 PureView or LG Optimus 4X HD?
Can't make a decision :(
22. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
actually its an easy decision, if you concentrate to apps and apps alone any high end android will do.... if you want a replacement for slr's, basic functionality of a smartphone and long lasting battery then 808 PureView is for you!! and its really amazing!!
btw, htc one is awesome as well and actually its way better than lumia 920... just wait for nokia's next flagship
21. adnankamal9 (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
Nokia is still supporting Symbian, though its good, but what about the unlucky people who bought Nokia N9? Nokia just left the MEEGO device to RIP? There are no new applications, no new games and no updates for MEEGO to fix the bugs that have already been reported. Nokia is supporting Symbian only because of 808. Requesting Nokia to support Nokia N9 aswell as it was promised by Nokia to support Nokia N9 atleast till 2015.
23. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
actually i think the reason is that maemo/meego team in nokia quit and form jolla... while symbian, its on accenture now for maintenance. so the only hope now is to hack N9 and make it run on sailfish OS
27. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
dont you remeber nokia fired megoo team and they all went to form Jolla
32. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1157; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
1. nokia didn't fire MeeGO they left
2. they fixed alot of bugs with the 3 updates they gave us
3. while nokia did ditch MeeGO the amazing and beautiful community @ Maemo.org picked it and have managed to do amazing things with it and the developers there are supported and supporting
4. the only reason nokia still supports symbian is because being the loving company they are they made a deal with Accenture for an outsourcing program and for them to provide support untill 2016 which they will
6. i'm sure sailfish should be easily ported to n9 as they will have similar kernels
34. adnankamal9 (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
2. Agreed, but still there are lot of bugs in Nokia N9 that should be fixed.
3. TMO has supported Meego a lot in many ways and still supporting. Thanks to TMO.
4. As Nokia will be providing support to Symbian until 2016, they should also support Meego Nokia N9 until 2015 as promised by Nokia themselves.
5. You forgot point 5 while typing this... :)
6. I am a huge fan of Nokia and loved that they made Meego Harmattan and infact I am sure next time if I buy a new phone, i'll go with Nokia Lumia. Though I like sailfish OS, but as of now I want to continue using Meego and think of porting to Sailfish may be sometime later.
24. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
WOW! That's surprising! Keep supporting Symbian!
Love you Nokia!
28. Avenger337 (Posts: 64; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
The latest operating system kicking almost extinct, but there to give credit to Nokia because you always remember your loyal customers except when he gave them back to windows phone. Anyway, it is still good news.