Smartphone buyers prefer an ever-larger screen - 4.5" takes over 4.3" as the sweet spot
1. cezarepc (Posts: 716; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
5"-5.5" is enough for me. But of course, depends on the bezel too.
12. vincelongman (Posts: 4521; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Personally my sweet spot is about the size of S4 and One, because its large, but I can still can use it comfortable with one hand.
But I still think companies should still make high end smaller phone for people who prefer those. They should make flagships in different sizes but same specs, for example a 4" and a 4.7-5".
15. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Good point. But the people I know who have smaller phones keep them for many years and don't upgrade. They use their phone for texting and calls mainly and aren't interested in spending money on a different phone when the one they have works fine.
In the end, companies will make it if they can make money. Carriers don't spend money promoting low end phones either.
I think right now each company is innovating to new places with phones. When the smartphone basically reaches it's full potential, companies will then turn to fill in the gaps.
43. jcarrigan (unregistered)
6' inches is the biggest ill go for a screen and 4.7' is the smallest screen ill take.
52. Manevolence (Posts: 6; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
If Apple would just create a 4.5 inch iPhone I would buy it :/
4. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
i just want to know who these "smartphone buyers" are
19. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 140; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Once you use a bigger smartphone, you'll never want to use anything smaller again.
21. Leo_MC (Posts: 1582; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Yes, untill I got a ultrabook and realize a big smartphone is a dumb ideea because it does everything wrong.
47. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 549; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Two different products for two different markets. Try again troll
50. Leo_MC (Posts: 1582; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
A tablet does everything a big smartphone does but better; a ultrabook does everything a tablet does but better.
If you're in the market of "doing stuff", an ultrabook is the way to go; if you like spending money for useless devices, go get the new Note.
An iPhone sized phone does everything a tiny tablet like S4 does but still fits in the pocket.
46. itreday (Posts: 68; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Lie, I had a Samsung infuse which was a 4.6 and hated the screen because I always made typing errors. I went back to iPhone because it has the perfect width to the point where I rarely make any errors in typing.
5. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 808; Member since: 11 May 2013)
The foldable thing from the CES samsung's future tech teaser video is really cool, hope they're getting it right and ready
13. cezarepc (Posts: 716; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
yep pretty cool stuff. I personally like the one that looks like a pen.
6. FlushGordon (unregistered)
"A 3.5 inch screen is the perfect size for a smartphone"
--- Steve Jobs
8. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
5" is my sweet spot, but cases ruin the aesthetics :(
But I do live dangerously, from time to time >;)
9. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
5" is already enough for me! 6" can't even fit into my pocket!
18. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Tell that to the 7 inch ASUS Fonepad.
44. jcarrigan (unregistered)
get pants with bigger pockets. i can fit a 6inch device in my dress pants and be fine. dont wear skinny jeans
11. DANTExphone888 (Posts: 102; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
5" is my sweet spot, wait in for future flagships.
14. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 987; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
5inch is definetly the sweet spot for me :) can't stand the tiny 4.0inch on the iPhone5, its small and narrow, annoying to watch vids on and web browse.
16. roldefol (Posts: 4309; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Despite the bigger-is-better attitude among Sammy fanatics here, there is an upper limit on what's comfortable to hold, carry and thumb. I agree with that 4.5" number: up to 5" for large hands, 4" for petites.
20. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Im a small person, but owning the Note2 made 5.5' a norm for me :)
22. Leo_MC (Posts: 1582; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
I saw a little man wearing clown shoes; he was very comfortable, no doubt, but funny as hell to whatch.
Then I saw an average Joe holding a huge device - a Note or S3 - on his ear and talking; he was equally funny.
25. tedkord (Posts: 11923; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Not as funny as the folks I saw using the 10" iPad as a camera.