Shouldn't be a surprise: smartphones make you more social, not less
1. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3556; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
But, old people say that people don't communicate as much anymore... ❔❔
4. hurrycanger (Posts: 1190; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
They have a different definition of communication. To those specific people, "communicate" excludes texts, emails, and all the digital social networks.
6. androiphone20 (Posts: 1472; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
As much as I want to agree with this study it is equally flawed, smartphones make us pay less attention to things happening around us and they are just too distracting. The loners are getting worse cause they now have a way to keep them from opening up and believe me nothing beats having a convo with a physical person cause you can read the persons gestures and behavior something that's hard to do when you're communicating through your smartphone. In some cases people are becoming more rude, like this one time when I stumbled upon a teenager that was so rude I grabbed her phone then I used a line from Jake and Amir that went by "time for you to disconnect PERMANENTLY"
8. hurrycanger (Posts: 1190; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Agree with everything you said. What I meant in the earlier comment is that whatever being mentioned in this article uses a different definition of "communication" than what old people think about communication. And to be frank, "being social" on a digital device all day can make an individual quite dumb in real life.
9. androiphone20 (Posts: 1472; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I see, not that I was going against it but I was just adding to your point
2. Avenger827 (Posts: 46; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
Let them say what they want, it doesn't matters what they think. 8-)
3. tiara6918 (Posts: 1438; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Instead of looking at a bunch of random strangers along the road, I just look at my phone and text someone if at times I feel awkward
5. androiphone20 (Posts: 1472; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
There's a ton of ways to socialize on your smartphone from Tinder, Ming, OkCupid, OkStupid, Meetme, Down, but OkCupid used to be my goto app for finding girls that are DTF cause it was that effective.
7. Dastrix (Posts: 599; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
As with everything, there needs to be a balance.
10. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 407; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
In my experience people who have minimal face-to-face interaction are more awkward to talk to face to face. It kind of works the same way with people who have minimal digital interaction.
11. AntiFanBoyz (Posts: 98; Member since: 30 Nov 2013)
The problem is, like many other examples, a few bad seeds create an image problem for all users. I have several friends who have to be told they need to put their phones away. If not, they tune out of dinner conversations, they tune out of the TV show we're watching, they're absolutely rude with how much they browse reddit and facebook. Despite the study, it is a problem... maybe just only for a visible minority.