See the Samsung Galaxy S7 camera and its blazing fast autofocus in action
1. KillTheKardashians (banned) (Posts: 93; Member since: 19 Feb 2016)
Wow you can zoom without a module. And that´s for free :D
6. hexa-core. (banned) (Posts: 58; Member since: 28 Feb 2016)
Are you refering to the LG G5? It can zoom even better than the Galaxy S7, because of its super wide-angle 135° secondary rear camera!
The G5 Friends camera module goes even futher into dSLR quality photography!
9. spin9 (Posts: 282; Member since: 31 May 2014)
The article is about S7's autofocus. At 700-800 € is not for free. And you can't zoom on a 12mpx like on a 23mpx right?
Anyway I'm expecting camera comparisons with the new Sony Xperia X Performance to decide about fast focus
25. TerryTerius (Posts: 1780; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
Think he meant not having to buy a separate accessory vs something built into the phone. Still wrong though. Because yeah... Autofocus definitely isn't zoom. And you can zoom in with the G5 just as you can with the S7. Without the camera module.
10. KillTheKardashians (banned) (Posts: 93; Member since: 19 Feb 2016)
nice to see, that you have find some friends for your money.
15. Mrinal (Posts: 36; Member since: 28 Feb 2016)
G5 can't give a better result than S7(it also happened with G4 vs S6,Lol).
29. Pattyface (Posts: 1612; Member since: 20 Aug 2014)
The g4 often outperformed the s6 so I'm not sure what you are trying to say
32. hexa-core. (banned) (Posts: 58; Member since: 28 Feb 2016)
Exactly that! LG's camera algorithm is just as good as Samsung's.
26. TerryTerius (Posts: 1780; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
For the record, wide angle lens doesn't mean better zooming. A short focal length gives a wider angle of view and lowers magnification. In other words, it lessens your ability to zoom.
34. hexa-core. (banned) (Posts: 58; Member since: 28 Feb 2016)
But... My point is that the G5's wide-angle shooter works in concert with the main 78° 16MP camera to perform zooming. So it's balanced and zoomes in and out so freaking well.
Did you try one at MWC 2016? Gosh! LG has nailed it
39. TerryTerius (Posts: 1780; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
We shall see. If the G4 and V10 are any indication they've likely done a great job this year. The reviews are right around the corner. I have no intention of buying a G5, but I hope everyone that does so thoroughly enjoys it. And it's fairly cool to see LG striking out on their own to resurrect something from the past, modernize the concept, and advance it. Make it theirs. I have serious doubts about the commercial viability of the modules, but the G5 itself is undoubtedly a solid device.
2. kumarabhishek591 (Posts: 75; Member since: 22 Feb 2014)
yet another article about s7 and edge
though i am ordering s7 edge as soon as it launches in my country but still tired of pa
35. kumarabhishek591 (Posts: 75; Member since: 22 Feb 2014)
May be bcoz i am actually waiting for some sensible topics by pa to be discussed rather than same topics again and again so i have the coutesy to come here and comment
50. JumpinJackROMFlash (Posts: 450; Member since: 10 Dec 2014)
Is it strange to you that the completely new flagship phone from the largest Android manufacturer gets a lot of attention currently on a phone news site? Maybe you should read news somewhere else if that's the case e.g. you could get your news from macrumors to not have Samsung/LG articles appear.
4. aegislash (Posts: 369; Member since: 27 Jan 2015)
So don't read them then? Simple solution.
8. Tarox (Posts: 104; Member since: 17 Feb 2015)
That camera is so much win... Really impressing
28. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 261; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
So does the S7/S7 Edge uses only PDAF(cause 100% of the pixels in the sensor are used for focus) or it uses PDAF and CDAF like other phones?
30. dimas (Posts: 2124; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
And when compared with s8 edge, the s7 edge was not only slower, but also unreliable, as it sometimes failed to detect that it was supposed to change the focus. There you have it folks s8 is faster than s7, see you next year for s9 and s8 comparison.
52. JumpinJackROMFlash (Posts: 450; Member since: 10 Dec 2014)
It would be strange if Samsung went backwards on camera quality in newer models, so S8 being better wouldn't really be unexpected. Your sarcasm = fail.
33. rency0722 (Posts: 157; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
As Philippines already has some test phones of S7 and S7 edge, I notice some things on the new module:
1. It is not a multi-aspect ratio sensor, like the Z5. As you notice, the width of the 12 MP 4:3 is 4032, which is same as the 9 MP 16:9. It is just like the previous Z series sensors where 16:9 photos and videos are cropped on the original 4:3 sensor resolution.
2. Shooting in Pro mode gives a multi-point focus, where it shows real-time change in focus (small green boxes flashing on the screen).
3. When it fails in PDAF, its camera focuses using CDAF, as tested in some scenarios. But still, it gives fast AF action.
36. miket1737 (Posts: 2541; Member since: 17 Mar 2013)
Does anyone know if they are using glass cover home button now?
I always found the home button's of Galaxy devices to be scratched overtime due to them not switching to a stronger material for the home button
40. fyah_king (Posts: 454; Member since: 22 Jul 2013)
Tried it at the store and the auto focus is fast! My s7 edge will be here wednesday.:)
41. jeroome86 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Yeah. The S series and Note are on top in the cameras.
Better then the G5 also.