Samsung in talks to buy Nuance, which powers S Voice, Siri, and Dragon
1. madmikepr (Posts: 127; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
They want the money back!!! At al cost Lol
25. techperson211 (Posts: 737; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Maybe it's payback time for Samsung since Siri is under nuance.
2. AfterShock (Posts: 3479; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I suspect more then a bolster to their arsenal.
Good on them, find a weak spot, insert sharp pointy thing deeply.
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 13523; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Okay, I gotta admit, it would be hilarious if Samsung bought
Nuance, and didn't allow it power Siri anymore. I don't know how it would play out in court, but that would be funny as heck initially.
5. Furbal (Posts: 457; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Would be interesting. I could see it happening, they've had dealings for awhile with Swype.
19. stealthd (Posts: 988; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
I don't really see why anything would head to court unless they decided to break contracts. Assuming they don't, they'd have to keep providing their services, giving Apple time to come up with a new solution, which allegedly they've already been working on.
28. darkkjedii (Posts: 13523; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah that contract part is true, but man just the thought of it tickles me. +1
21. cheetah2k (Posts: 894; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
That would be anticompetitive. Samsung would more than likely up the cost of the services like they did for Chip & Screen manufacturing :)
4. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3643; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Instead contribute to Google Now.... I bet no one use S Voice on their Galaxies.
6. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4752; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
There's probably a lot of pointless features no one uses. That's why Samsung needs to tone down the bloat.
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 13523; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah, Sammy's known for throwing in features. In my note 3, there's still icons I'm the app drawer I haven't even clicked on yet. Pity I can't remove em. I like that apple gives you just enough, and lets the App Store provide the rest.
8. wilsong17 (Posts: 1130; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
the only app you cant disable on the note 3 is samsung store and video hub all other mostly can be disable
or root and freeze the followinghttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?
10. darkkjedii (Posts: 13523; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I don't jail break, or root my devices. Also I mean actually delete them, to where they're no longer in the OS using storage space.
13. wilsong17 (Posts: 1130; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
if you want to root now is real easy just one clickhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?
is the same way to root the verizon gs5
with root you can delete all those bloatware and get a better battery life
26. Ashoaib (Posts: 2502; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Rooting does provide better battery bcoz some load tones down
9. joey_sfb (Posts: 3521; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Just disable it and it will disappear from your Apps drawer. I know of people that use S health.
I don't I just use their S Note. Being doing it since Note 2.
15. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3643; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
If you use the stock touchwiz launcher, you can hide all the bloat apps. Hit the menu key.
12. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3803; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Hopefully Samsung will buy all the fingerprint and retina scanning companies too. Samsung can be king of biometrics and voice input. Maybe Samsung can even buy eBay and rename it to sBay.
17. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3803; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Someone is a little too sensitive. I am hardly jealous of Samsung buying a company that I think makes annoying junk.
23. joey_sfb (Posts: 3521; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Not really necessary. Just get a license. They did it with flip board when they design the magazine ux.
20. techloverNYC (Posts: 445; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Samsung really want to go fight Apple face to face with money? Bad choice, Apple has $100+ billion in cash just laying around.
22. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
? I dont get this comment.
Is Apple thinking about buying Nuance? If not I dont see what your comment means.
24. techloverNYC (Posts: 445; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
This service is also the provider for Siri, if you read the article. "If Samsung were to purchase Nuance, it is unclear what would happen to Siri. After dropping $3 billion on Beats, Apple may not want to dip into its reserves again, although its last SEC filing said Apple had almost $160 billion in cash on hand, so it's not like the money wouldn't be there. "
If samsung buys this company, what happens to Siri? To stop that Apple can buy this company first. Sir no disrespect but you really need to read the article first before jumping to the comments, makes alot more sense.
30. TheGenius (Posts: 339; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
You are stupid
Both your comments are senseless
Can you explain again. Properly.?
31. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
You do realize the writer saying what happens to Siri....is the writer guessing, right? Again, has there been any talk of Apple buying Nuance? If so, I think they can afford to buy and outbid Samsung.
Still dont understand this or the previous comment....
What happened to Skype after MS bought it? It still available on Android. Its still a free app.
32. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
At best Samsung can buy Nuance to get even more money from Apple, they already make millions, maybe billions just for components parts for iDevices alone.
27. joey_sfb (Posts: 3521; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Just laying around as you said. Bet Apple wants to keep it that way.
29. jpd514 (Posts: 39; Member since: 08 Nov 2013)
Samsung need Nuance because in the Connected World speech recognition is the main asset. They don't even bother of Apple. Apple is a dead horse, just anoying competition, not even an ennemie to Beat.
Samsung is technologically one year in front of Apple (as seen to WWDC), with nuance, they are going to be 2 to 3 years in front. Speech Recognition is the Next Big Thing.
When you talk with a human, there is no screen on his face on wich you can write to answer him, you talk to him. That is the level of technology Samsung want for his Connected Gear. No need of a screen, just Talk.