New smartphone buyers picking Android over iOS by 2 to1 margin says Nielsen
is the current buying habits of those who have purchased a new smartphone over the last three months ending in August. 56% of those buying a new smartphone from June through August selected an Android flavored model. 28% of those new smartphone buyers purchased the Apple iPhone while the BlackBerry OS and the "others" category accounted for 9% and 6% of new smartphone purchases during the three month period, respectively.
With the next-generation Apple iPhone expected to be introduced October 4th and launched not too long afterward, those numbers could change a bit as we head toward the end of the year. Of course, Android has some anticipated high-end units also due out soon, like the Google Nexus Prime which could be released on November 3rd, as we told you. As for RIM, it might not be until early next year, when the company is expected to deliver on its QNX flavored Superphones, when we might see an improvement in the Canadian manufacturer's share of the U.S. smartphone market.
source: Nielsen via DroidLife
40. The_Miz posted on 26 Sep 2011, 23:11 2
Yup, because who can be green and dominate the insides of a toilet bowl than Android :P
44. Lucas777 posted on 26 Sep 2011, 23:19 2
yes and no… when u think of the fact that android phones outnumber iphone wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than 2:1 its not that huge…
82. XiphiasGladius posted on 27 Sep 2011, 04:57 0
Double isn't huge for some thought, oh it makes me laugh thinkin' bout it. . .
2. Dujai R. posted on 26 Sep 2011, 18:39 1
We'll see when the iPhone 5 arrives.
The storm is almost over.
4. frankguillenjr posted on 26 Sep 2011, 18:44 11
It's still the same OS, they haven't changed it at all. Still has that same boring icon look since 2007. I have an iPhone 4 and will get a Samsung Galaxy S2 from AT&T on Oct. 2nd. What I hate the most about iOS is that I have to dig for the wifi, bluetooth, and brightness toggles. On android you have them there just by pulling the status bar down.
95. AppleFUD (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 09:46 0
if it is, it's coming straight form Android to iOS lol
Apple, so innovating in copying Android features.
109. darth8ball posted on 27 Sep 2011, 14:54 0
24. Lucas777 posted on 26 Sep 2011, 20:46 0
first of all that isnt android, its samsung.. and second u can easily find those apps in the cydia store… and its the same os as much as android is the same os…
25. Synack posted on 26 Sep 2011, 20:53 5
33. Allday28 posted on 26 Sep 2011, 21:11 4
Actually on the galaxy s2 all you have to do is put your finger on the status bar hold it there for a second then move your finger left to roght to toggle the brightness..
17. remixfa posted on 26 Sep 2011, 19:55 3
concidering iOS has been picking up marketshare too even with the iphone4, i dont think its going to be a big game changing bump in market share... especially since it doesnt sound like the 4s or the i5 are going to be all that game changing in light of their android competition. I think the biggest bump will be from the iphones being released on new carriers, not because of the new phone itself.
Also you have the SGS2 finally available, some major HTC sets dropping, and the new Nexus Prime with ICS about to drop with huge OS changes inbound.
its bound to be an exciting christmas, regardless.. lol.
96. AppleFUD (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 09:48 0
You do realize that 1% is well within statistical margin of error, right?
That means, they are showing the iPhone with a flat market share for some time now.
106. remixfa posted on 27 Sep 2011, 14:46 0
yes, im aware.
but apple market share has gone up more than 1% in the last year.
115. AppleFUD (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 18:32 0
Actually, no it hasn't.
122. HAPPYNEWYEAR posted on 28 Sep 2011, 13:54 0
There is no "c" in the word considering. Just saying.
41. The_Miz posted on 26 Sep 2011, 23:11 0
Nah, we won't have to considering even the first iPhone is better than the crap Android phones they have today.
88. protozeloz posted on 27 Sep 2011, 06:34 1
He won't, he talks big, acts nothing
91. remixfa posted on 27 Sep 2011, 08:55 1
miz is here to stir crap, ignore him.
113. The_Miz posted on 27 Sep 2011, 15:26 0
Why would I stir Android?
15. Heatfan316 posted on 26 Sep 2011, 19:34 2
Well if everyone agreed with you, everything would be alright then, but since people have different tastes you can't accept it. Typical fanboy
5. Tre-Nitty posted on 26 Sep 2011, 18:48 8
Of course it is. There is 14,000 Android devices. Once again who cares. Buy the phone($) you choose to.
7. corporateJP posted on 26 Sep 2011, 18:51 2
You speak the most sense on this entire message board.
My next bet is on who will start throwing sheep-dung at me first.
27. Synack posted on 26 Sep 2011, 20:54 2
Depends, with everyone moving to Android there will be less iSheep dung to throw!
6. WakaFlakaD posted on 26 Sep 2011, 18:51 2
Still, iPhone is still not officially available n Sprint and T-Mobile. I am sure numbers will be different. I am on T-Mobile and do wish it carries the iPhone. The only reason that I am not using an unlocked one is because of the 3G data.
I am still happy using the Vibrant running on Simply Honey
97. AppleFUD (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 09:51 1
You sound like all the apple fans that said Verizon would make the iPhone dominate. . . oh wait, the iphone's market share didn't change with Verizon. Now it's going to be Sprint as the iPhone's savior? Or is it iPhone 5 with all its Android features?
Let's be real. . . the world likes choice, and apple doesn't give choice.
8. som posted on 26 Sep 2011, 18:52 9
rotten Apple made people hating it because of lawsuits against Samsung on similar looking and similar icons in Europe to banned sale of Samsung Galaxy line. I used to like Apple Store in the mall but not more. I don't like to eat apple either. Apple farmers should file lawsuits against Apple inc. for loss of sale and bad images.
51. taco50 (banned) posted on 26 Sep 2011, 23:43 1
So he posts that Apple farmers should sue Apple which is an idiotic and juvenile comment and gets 7 thumbs up. Yes you fandroids are completely logical and fair.
80. p0rkguy posted on 27 Sep 2011, 04:51 2
The fact that Apple is able to sue others over ignorant and idiotic things, apple harvesters have every right to sue Apple for ruining the image of apples.
9. corporateJP posted on 26 Sep 2011, 18:54 7
14,000 Android devices versus one Apple device running the same operating system from model to model.
I'll take the prior advantage to the latter.
Show me something I can love again, Apple, maybe I'll get back on board.
My LG G2X suits me just fine...for now.
18. remixfa posted on 26 Sep 2011, 19:56 3
apple is selling 3 sets right now.. 3gs, i4 GSM, and i4 CDMA.. i hate that "one phone" junk.. its not true.. lol.
45. taco50 (banned) posted on 26 Sep 2011, 23:20 0
Iphone 4 is the same phone it just has a different radio. They're selling two.
81. p0rkguy posted on 27 Sep 2011, 04:52 0
And Android phones are different... how?
92. remixfa posted on 27 Sep 2011, 08:58 0
and all the galaxyS variants are the same, yet they all get their own category by carrier name. the point is consistency. either put all the SGS in the same category or split all the iphones up. and the iphone 3gs and the iphone4 are not the same phone in the least and definately should not be under the same heading.
you just dont want to see them split up because then it doesnt look like such a big difference.
103. taco50 (banned) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 11:31 0
When samsung reports sales it lumps them all together so no they're not different phones.
Samsungs phones do actually vary in specs sometimes unlike iPhone 4
107. remixfa posted on 27 Sep 2011, 14:47 0
tell me all the spec variations in hardware from all the different galaxyS's. Oh wait.. one doesnt have a flash on the camera.. wooptie woo.
111. darth8ball posted on 27 Sep 2011, 14:59 0
21. Stuntman posted on 26 Sep 2011, 20:14 2
Exactly. I looked at the one, current iOS model and decided I want something with a different form factor. There were no other iOS phones to choose from. I looked at other phones and found a Symbian phone more to my liking. When I upgraded from my Symbian phone, again the one iOS phone was not to my liking, so I found an Android phone to my liking.
98. AppleFUD (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 09:54 0
cry me another story.
Apple can make as many variants as they like. they think one or two versions at a time is their best bet while Samsung believes giving more choice is their best bet, etc. . . get over it.
You sound like a child crying in the sand box because you kicked sand in another kids face and he punched you in the face.
11. Whateverman posted on 26 Sep 2011, 19:10 6
Ugh, I almost hate to see these articles coming because I know what follows soon after. Laggy, laggy, laggy...best selling device, wait til iPhone 5! Then we'll counter with boring UI, boring, boring, boring UI... Number one OS! Will this comment section be different?
12. Tre-Nitty posted on 26 Sep 2011, 19:20 1
Nope. Same ol bs articles. Same juvenile responses about 2 companies that realty could care less as long as we buy their products.
68. taco50 (banned) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 02:29 0
In response to Apple job creation.
"Apple increased its US stores from 147 to 233, and its US retail employees from an estimated 5,200 to 19,500"
That's retail only
77. Whateverman posted on 27 Sep 2011, 04:01 1
So they crammed more than 14,000 employees into 86 stores! Now that is truly impressive! That beats the clown car record by at least 10 or 15 people!
93. remixfa posted on 27 Sep 2011, 08:59 0
thats 163 employees per store!!! impressive!!! lol
112. darth8ball posted on 27 Sep 2011, 15:10 0
No actually it is just about 83 employees per store which shows that most of the retail locations use part time employees probably so Apple doesn't have to offer medical benefits for their employees. It also lowers the percentage of SSI and disability that they are responsible for.
104. taco50 (banned) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 11:32 0
So you turned this into a negative somehow?
14. gallitoking posted on 26 Sep 2011, 19:30 7
telling you...here in PA they like the fans wars... they probably do it on purpose too.
16. Heatfan316 posted on 26 Sep 2011, 19:50 1
Of course they do, it's amusing to them, they sit back there and laugh at all our stupid comments and they get more people to join the website, everybody wants to debate, what phone is better, what OS is better.
19. remixfa posted on 26 Sep 2011, 19:56 4
of course they do. fan wars breed hits, which breed accidental advertising clicks, which brings them money.
20. biophone posted on 26 Sep 2011, 20:11 1
Its pointless comparing market share numbers can be turned in so many ways.
23. Whateverman posted on 26 Sep 2011, 20:44 1
Did you even think about what you said before you typed it? Wait, before I rush to judgement, let me ask how many different ways can OS marketshare be turned in?
39. biophone posted on 26 Sep 2011, 22:52 0
Never said OS market share. I said marketshare. You can compare the market share of companies market share of phones os marketshare or os smartphone marketshare. Apple lead in all but os smartphone market share. Witch makes sense because they are the only one who uses iOS. Compared to other companies who do the same (samsung) they drawf them in turns of marketshare. It pointless to compare iOS and android market share it can be twisted in so many ways.
46. taco50 (banned) posted on 26 Sep 2011, 23:21 0
I don't think fandroids will like this post, because you're hinting that android may not be first in something. Tsk tsk
59. Whateverman posted on 27 Sep 2011, 01:05 1
Again, talking to you is hopeless. Read it and weep cry baby, 2 to 1! Nuff said.
61. biophone posted on 27 Sep 2011, 01:08 0
Chevy aveo or ghost whateverman take your pick. Chevy aveo sells more.