Microsoft takes a jab at Nokia Lumia 530's rivals in the first video ad for the smartphone
Even more, Redmond today released the first video commercial for its latest Windows Phone device, and the ad nonchalantly compares the Lumia 530 with a whole plethora of affordable devices, such as LG Optimus L3 E400, LG Optimus L5 II, Samsung Galaxy Ace Style, Huawei Ascend Y530, Alcatel OneTouch Fire, HTC Desire 210, ZTE Blade Q, Lenovo A516, and, of course, the already-mentioned Moto E. The ad compares said devices with the Lumia 530 in several categories - the available on-board storage and its expandability via a microSD card, the number of cores in the SoC, the version of the OS they run, and the free apps and services that come out of the box.
It comes to no surprise that one by one, all of the included devices drop out, except for one - the promoted Nokia Lumia 530. With its 4GB of internal memory, the included support for microSD cards up to 128GB, a quad-core SoC, and Windows Phone 8.1, the Nokia Lumia is crowned king. Of course, this is an ad, so it was certain that things will go this way.
source: Nokia via Windows Phone Daily
1. nokia12 (Posts: 452; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
well they can only make a decent ad now after they failed to make a decent phone...
too bad they didn't consider lumia 520/525 in competition otherwise it would have won
5. sgodsell (Posts: 2591; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
What happened to the Microsoft that was bragging about it doesn't need the faster processors to run things? They still need more ram.
42. domfonusr (Posts: 384; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
I think higher cost has influenced Microsoft to cut back on RAM supply.
Apparently, it is now cheaper to throw in extra processors than it is to add more RAM. I have heard that RAM prices have been going through the roof as of late, so I am not surprised to see Microsoft cut back on RAM and instead throw in some money for a couple of extra processors on Qualcomm's SoC. I am sure this is a cost savings for now, but I think that customers will notice that extra processors is no substitute for having enough RAM.
When getting feature phones, I could care less about RAM, but when getting a smartphone its got to have a full 1GB of RAM for me, or else I just can't consider it. Seeings I seek out only the most affordable devices when I do shop around, this will make a problem for me when it is time to get something new, because value phones with 1GB of RAM will only become more rare for a while, at least until the RAM crunch is over.
37. akki20892 (Posts: 3811; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I guess device approval manager is not good at choosing good specs device.....
2. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Meh a phone that can't better its great predecessor, should not brag about itself.
3. mocir (Posts: 23; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
So Microsoft (Nokia) is basically looking for a fight on low end phones.... That's ridiculous. Well that's all they have now since their flagships are flops.
11. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 721; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
They may be flops, but they're really excellent; guess that's more telling regarding the sheep that buy smartphones than any indication of device quality. Pick up a Lumia 1520 and give it a spin - you'll be pleasantly surprised! :-)
4. tech2 (Posts: 3106; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Want a water resistant phone ?
Want a phone with better and bigger display ?
Want a phone with GG3 ?
Want a phone with bigger battery ?
Want a phone with better app ecosystem ?
Want a phone with free G Drive storage of 65 GB ?
Want a phone with better RAM ?
Then chose Moto E :)
24. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Say NO to no apps and games, choose android.
32. DogeShibe (Posts: 1106; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
What is worng with you CM Puke?
Pls stop with that 'No apps & games' BS.That $hit dosen't exist anymore.More & more official apps are making way on WP. MC5 : Blackout , we got got it today on both WP & W8.
Just stop saying that.
33. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Then stop with that lag BS as well.
54. StreetNerd (Posts: 786; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
how to stop with the lag BS? Nexus 5 is laggin also...
60. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
How to stop the lack of apps and games argument, its true anyway, both in quality and quantity. :)
46. Cicero (Posts: 738; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Can 530 print wirelessly on my Xerox printer? Or can it run an office suite which password protected document? Nah! So that's mean you have apps. All you can even think about it and need you will have on Android. And games? What to say? They stepping up but they are long way back.
51. Liveitup (Posts: 1797; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
That would be funny of it was true, but WP has tons of Apps and games over 270,000 to choose from, here are a few.
Instagram, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Flickr, Groupon, Linked In, Pintrest, tumblr, Adobe reader, Adobe reader express, Evernote, Audible Audiobooks, Amazon Kindle, USA today, New York times, ABC News, Fox news, BBC, Economic Times, Bloomberg,CNN, 7-Eleven, Opentable, Adobe Reader, Amtrak, Animal Planet, Comedy central, At Bat 13, Best Buy, CBS Sports, ESPN sports center, Discover Channel, Domino's, Facebook (major update), Hipstamatic Oggl, 500 PX, Keek, The Weather channel, iHeartRadio, FilmON TV, LivingSocial, MapQuest, Mint, NASCAR Mobile 13, Barclays, Redbox, TLC, Viber, Voxer, 4th and mayor, Walgreens, Waze, Nimbuzz, Wells Fargo,Path, Facebook messenger, Line, Wells Fargo, Chase,Ally, Bank of America, E harmony, Go to meeting, IMDB, Flixster, Jongla, Kik messenger, Priceline, Skype, Tune in Radio, Shazam, Soundcloud, Beats music, American Airlines, Delta, United Airlines, Expedia, Vimeo, Fandago, Vevo, VH1,WhatsApp, MTV, BBC Iplayer, IMDb, Ebay, Ehow,Swarm Poynt,Netflix, PayPal, Huluplus, Wikipedia Foursquare, Uber, Yelp.
Here are a few of the many games?
Modern combat 5, Angry Birds Go!, Angry Birds: Star Wars II, Asphalt 7, Asphalt 8: Airborne, Despicable Me: Minion Rush, Solitaire, Mahjong, mineaweeperGrand theft auto San Andreas, Jetpack Joyride, Monsters University, N.O.V.A. 3, Order and Chaos, Into the dead, Star Wars: Tiny Death Star, Fifa 13, Temple Run Brave, Temple Run Oz, Turbo, UNO & Friends, Agent P, Where's My Mickey, Where's My Water 2, Subway surfer, Space shooter X, Temple run 2, Trial Xtreme 3 etc,Rayman Jungle Run , Captain America: The Winter Soldier .
Learn to count.
59. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Did you just mentioned all of the apps in WP store in a single comment? LOL.
61. Liveitup (Posts: 1797; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
That's your problem you only see what you really want to, not what really exits.
65. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Did you brains fall of somewhere kiddo? Go, find 'em!
7. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Want no lag? Want removable battery? Want to pop in a 128 gig Micro SD card? Want a better voice assistant? Want a better processor? Want to save some money? Choose Lumia 530. :D
8. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Want a cheaper win? Choose lumia 525 or moto e.
Want a overpriced fail? Choose 530
10. tech2 (Posts: 3106; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Have you used Moto G/E before saying it 'no lag' ? Provide me a link of any trustworthy reviewer who mentioned lag on Moto E.
Cortana is hardly available any country so .....and its far from being better..Google Voice has much better voice recognition.
They both have the same processor. Get ur facts right.
They both have MicroSD slot. Get ur facts right, again.
12. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 721; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
No need; all Android phones have lag, so it's redundant to mention it in reviews... ;-)
25. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Fanboys are notorious for creating false statements. No need for clarifying. ;)
15. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Much better voice recognition? Thanks for the joke of the day
30. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
SAY what? I have 4.4 and still making that statement of "much better" is just false
16. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 721; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Only the 4G model has micro SD slot, and only supports up to. 32 gb...
27. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
We are talking about Moto E which has microSD slot, and it supports 128gb too.
40. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Stop deluding yourself kid. It supports cards of up to 64 GB ONLY. Don't spread wrong information please and get back to school!
43. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 721; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Officially only up to 32 gb. In 2014!?!
20. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
My sister uses a Moto G. And it performs on par with my 512 MB RAM and dual core totting Lumia 520. So yes I have used the Moto G. In either case, both the Moto E and the L530 are great phones at great prices. End of story.
50. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1101; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Excellent comparison, the Moto G has almost three times the pixels to push than the 520. Not to mention the dual core in the 520 uses Krait Cores which i'm sure must have higher performance per core than the A7's in the Moto G. Also Android is the much heavier platform...
45. StanleyG88 (Posts: 191; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
It's "Google Now" techtech; Google Voice is for making phone calls.
57. Tosky2008 (Posts: 1; Member since: 24 Jul 2014)
I have an android fone and a tablet. Every android device lags especially when you start filling the storage space with apps, I have come to live with it. I usually play around with my friend's Lumia 720 which is a 512MB device, believe me that fone runs as smooth as silk with that low RAM
22. tech2 (Posts: 3106; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Even Lumia 530 doesn't support 128GB officially
34. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 721; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Really? That's odd, 'cause it says 128 on all the official sites I can find...
18. hurrycanger (Posts: 1536; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
No lag? Sure, but it takes pretty long to launch apps. I've had the 635 for 2 full days. It's significantly slower than my Moto G. Either the ram use on WP 8.1 is not as good as some people bragging about it, or WP 8.1 is still not that good. (Or maybe those apps, including WP facebook app, are poorly made? idk)
I wonder how the hell some people keep talking about "no lag" on WP.
Anyway, I still enjoy my 635. It's nice to change once in a while.
47. Liveitup (Posts: 1797; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Compared to Android WP runs like a dream.
67. elitewolverine (Posts: 3828; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Depends, my old sd card had some things on the 635 run abit slow, uped it to a new speedier card and now no lag.
Though there is a difference between 'lag' and loading. Loading is not lag, lag is when on my note 3 i press polaris, nothing happens, i press again, nothing happens, and then 5 seconds later it finally opens up like it normally would.
71. hurrycanger (Posts: 1536; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
It (the mighty lag) did happen a few times to my Lumia 635 during the first 5 days, mostly with the camera app and Xbox music. The lag on Xbox music was somewhere between 3 and 5 seconds (and multiple times in the past 2 hours).
And that was the only app being opened. Nothing else.
21. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
The Moto E and Moto G aren't water resistant. They are water REPELLENT. There's a huge difference between resistant and repellent. Don't comment wrong info please.
29. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
And your other buddies are spewing wrong info too.
31. tech2 (Posts: 3106; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Also check PA's review of moto e. It clearly says 'water-resistant'.
Wrong again for the 3rd time buddy. That's gotta be a new record
35. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 721; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
I think he was thinking of waterPROOF, which is what really kicks butt. Water resistant is very nice too, though. Definitely a bonus for the Moto!
41. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Again, water PROOF and RESISTANT are completely different things. Please learn the difference, or else get back to school with your buddy StraightE.
44. tech2 (Posts: 3106; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
LOL...have you lost it again ?!
U said 'The Moto E and Moto G aren't water resistant' and I replied with a proof they are 'water-resistant'. Who mentioned anything about water proof ?
Seriously, dude you're just embarrassing yourself now.
14. jellmoo (Posts: 1015; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Microsoft: "So what do you guys have to counter that?"
Other Companies: "Our employees still have their jobs."
Microsoft: "Damn dawg... That's cold..."
17. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Lol that was good sir, sad but good
48. Liveitup (Posts: 1797; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
That would be funny if it was not for the fact that Microsoft has more than double the employees of Google and over 25,000 more than Apple.