Microsoft and Canon sign cross-licensing agreement; Canon lenses on Lumia phones?
We could see Canon add some form of the Windows Phone UI to its cameras, although more likely is the idea that Canon lenses end up on Lumia handsets, including a possible sequel to the Nokia 1020, which features a 41MP rear camera on the back.
Microsoft and Canon have partnered together before, to bring new products to the consumer market, including color technology. No doubt that this pact will bring something positive to the smartphone industry.
Nokia Lumia 1020
source: PhotographyBlog via PocketLint
1. Busyboy (Posts: 391; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Just when you thought the Lumina cameras couldn't get any better. Can't wait to see the collaboration!
12. sipha (Posts: 313; Member since: 12 May 2012)
I personaly give the camera industry until 2020!! Anyhow maybe canon is expanding from it..thought i should say something since that possibility was ignored by the article!!
36. akki20892 (Posts: 3617; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I just know is whatever they do, but I believe on those nokia's engineers. They r amazing.
39. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1270; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
The camera was never the problem. It's everything else.
45. freebee269 (Posts: 528; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Everything else was never the problem, it's your opinion on it.
53. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
The platform and quality and specs was the problem.
The phone is no way near their Nokia Nseries.
No one likes WP. Nokia is forcing us to use this POS platform. Symbian was way much better. Open source.
59. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2056; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
No one likes you dude. Go back to your planet.
81. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Lol.. That was funny.. But, please don't respond to it.
62. AstronautJones (Posts: 272; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
I absolutely loved my N97. Best design of a phone I have ever owned. (Including apple and Sammy devices)
Only problem was the lack of support for Symbian in U.S..
Almost all of the apps available were aimed at Europeans.
Understandable since it was never available through a carrier, and the consequential lack of sales in U.S..
67. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Come on dude, don't you have traffic to play in? Since when are you speaking for everyone? Trolling on windows phone articles is pathetic and immature
72. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I see Wp is not fluctuating.
I don't see Wp going anywhere. Stagnated.
I'm not trolling, I'm expressing my feelings.
80% ex Nokia Symbians users have jumped ship to Android. I am speaking behalf of them. Voice of reason.
77. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
And I'm expressing my feelings, you are a waste of life and I hate that I have to.share air with such a moron
84. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Wow I must've hurted your feelings?
Keep your insult to yourself
90. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 633; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
No you're not. You're stating your opinion as fact, and as such you should be prepared to be rebuked, and rightfully so...
65. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1270; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
So please remind everyone how close Microsoft is to catching up with Android and iOS.
But then again Microsoft allowed this clusterfuc to happen. Their just a step or two above Crapberry. Only thing saving Microsoft is their cheap line of phones (aka Nokia 520/521) which by the way is decent for the $60 I paid. But that's it.
80. meanestgenius (Posts: 1943; Member since: 28 May 2014)
If BlackBerry were such "crap", then why do you even bother to mention their name? Oh, you must like having your mouth full of sh!t.
BlackBerry isn't crap. It's a GROWN MANS PHONE. BlackBerry RULES the ENTERPRISE MARKET, something your precious Android and iOS will NEVER DO.
And this is an article about WINDOWS PHONE. Stop TROLLING and go comment on an iOS or Android article.
48. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Fast image processor in the Lumia for fast shot-to-shot waiting time. Stand-alone camera sales are down and will be, I wonder what Canon makes out of this.
94. marcski07 (Posts: 493; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
this looks cool! can't wait to see it, now i'm having a trouble what will i gonna buy next... i have my n9 and nearing its end stage of its life as i got problem now with its battery, i effin can't use it anymore as it shuts down right away for a few minutes of internet browsing, and using camera. still operational tho, but i can't use it anymore as before w/o plugging it on the wall... thinking to change brand... sony probably, but now this??? my phone since i was a kid is nokia... but the recent acquisitions make me want to jump ship and also the lack of apps for customization... but with this news... wow... it makes me want to buy another nokia... i hope nokia's start up sound, with the "symbolical" hands and the motto/slogan "connecting people" stays on every nokia by microsoft handset, because "NOKIA" will be plain & simple brand, as if has a body without soul...
nokia better hardware quality, trusted brand, but lack of apps... or sony still good quality, tons of apps thanks to android., new brand for me... jeezz... tough decision to make...
2. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
I didn't know they made cameras that double as phones!
3. express77 (unregistered)
Nokia camera will be even better now. But I think I read this in another article like yesterday.
4. apple4never (Posts: 970; Member since: 08 May 2013)
try and picture a dude holding a 2020 (possible successor name) with an 82mp camera and a canon 500mm telephoto lens walking around disney land taking pics loll
5. rency0722 (Posts: 68; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
Nokia, give up your Zeiss partnership and give it to Sony.
6. BattleBrat (Posts: 1145; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Sony has a partnership with with Zeiss as well, for its cameras. Heck, Sony is the only full sized mount you can get autofocus Zeiss glass for.
10. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3580; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
You mad bro?! Sony itself uses the high quality Carl Zeiss lens.
22. rency0722 (Posts: 68; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
No, I mean Sony Mobile. And it is now only Zeiss.
15. Penny (Posts: 1243; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
I don't know how much using a "Zeiss" lens on a phone really means anyway. I'm sure it has some benefit, but nothing like the benefit of using a dSLR system lens made by Zeiss.
34. -box- (Posts: 3858; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
It's the same company. They make camera lenses, phone camera lenses, lab equipment lenses and optics, same for space cameras, and so much more.
18. Apostolis_Vlv (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Come on guys, check out official Zeiss site. Nokia still Zeiss' partner. Is patner with original Nokia or with "fake"?
7. DarkRadeonFX (Posts: 18; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Canon + Pelican Imagine + Nokia Pureview =King of Photography
Others will cry like Sh*t
9. LoveHater (Posts: 160; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
Nokia + Microsoft + Win UI == Double Sh*t
54. DogeShibe (Posts: 894; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
Sir,for your wonderful contribution to this article,here,have my one finger salute...
58. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
He is telling the truth.
Ugly disturbing fuzzy bathroom tiles.
68. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
You.forgot to do TM. I agree with you though
89. LoveHater (Posts: 160; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
oh wow ,,Microkia fan crying loud ,,,, I wished your loud crying would had made it better,,, but no,, :(
11. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3580; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I'm not crying, not even close. Oh wait we all use phones to shoot photos... Wow
13. JC557 (Posts: 1150; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Along with DSLRs Canon seems to haved realized that convergence of P&S cameras and phones are the future. This looks promising and even more so if Nokia will produce both Android and Windows Phones.
42. sergiobr (Posts: 429; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
The only thing missed in my Note 3 is a camera like the one in my Nokia 808
8. meanestgenius (Posts: 1943; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Nice! Can't wait to see how this will translate to Lumia smartphones. And maybe even tablets! So many possibilities...
17. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3178; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Lol you're going to walk around taking pictures with a tablet? Looks so stupid lol.
28. meanestgenius (Posts: 1943; Member since: 28 May 2014)
I'm going to do what I want with whatever I spent my money on. And if you don't like it, I could care less. What's stupid is your response to my comment. I don't give a sh!t what you think.
35. adwienc (Posts: 134; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Same nobody gives a sh.t what you think so why do you even write comments here.
66. meanestgenius (Posts: 1943; Member since: 28 May 2014)
The same could be said for you, sh!t-brains.
14. Penny (Posts: 1243; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Ooh baby! Now this is some tantalizing news!
16. Rager722 (Posts: 201; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
I will have to abandon android if Lumia devices have Canon lenses as the camera.
20. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
overrated, tested, compared, yet still the real thing.
25. boosook (Posts: 1074; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Then why has the 1020 been surpassed by the z2 on what are the most accurate and comprehensive tests? (I'm talking about dxomark.com)
33. -box- (Posts: 3858; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Dxomark is a joke. I have a 1020, and nothing touches it, though I'll grant it is a little slow to save sometimes. I used it to capture fireworks last night and it worked supremely. After my family saw how good it was doing, they put down their own phones and enjoyed the show while I captured the memories and sights.
88. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
and they didnt tested it with the lumia black software update.
21. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2056; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
You forgot to add "IMO". It still the best camera in any smartphone on the market right now, nothing comes close to it, no Galaxy S5, no G3, no iPhone and certainly not a HTC handset.
23. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3580; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I'll give you that it is a great cameraphone, but saying nothing comes close is pure ignorance.
Note 3 and S5 come pretty close to 1020 and infact they kick a$$ it in some aspects. This comparison proves it, and don't forget to read the conclusion thoroughly.
24. boosook (Posts: 1074; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Two turkeys don't make an eagle, and two old and dying companies without new ideas won't make anything revolutionary.
69. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Not a chance dude. Nice speculation Wirth zero facts
85. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Another patent troll and dictatorship company MS is.