LG G3 model with Snapdragon 805 and up to 225 Mbps download speeds might be in the cards
1. eldyagustius (Posts: 177; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
YEAH, BEAT IT LG!! lucky to have you in this game :)
8. aayupanday (Posts: 574; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
People are gonna hesitate byuing the Current G3 now..
36. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"People are gonna hesitate byuing the Current G3 now.."
The 805 will take a bit of redesign as there are more memory channels -- one for the CPU and one for the GPU. I haven't looked at the specs in a while, but I think the total bandwidth of the 805 is 25.6GB/sec, similar to many desktop PCs.
Most likely LG already has a revised system board for the G3 with the 805 and just needs chips from Qualcomm. I think Qualcomm won't be shipping 805s in volume until September/October though.
So if you can wait for a new phone until the fall, I would certainly wait. There's nothing on the market now that won't be stale in a few months. This sort of pace is part of the mobile world, but because of Qualcomm's screwups of late, it is even more magnified this year.
10. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
And people are complaining about Sony releasing 2 flagships in a year. So many companies are doing the same, even LG
24. Cicero (Posts: 848; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
And everybody curse Samsung for F series to early after S5.
2. smarttechbadworld (Posts: 74; Member since: 07 May 2014)
Htc is getting fcked up this year, they made a big mistake by cancelling the htc m8 prime, how is the m8 going to compete with the galaxy f, lg g3, iphone 6 and galaxy note 4 lol
9. ihavenoname (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
HTC makes great phones, but their team seems to have bad problems. They release flagship phone TWICE with 4mp camera and they even remove OIS on second one.
14. hipnotika (Posts: 353; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
htc said : ois makes photos purple on taken at night photos
22. frhoward (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Apr 2014)
Yep but the M8 in my scenarios still performed better in pictures than the S5. So while its only 4mp the software optimizations in the M8 makes it way better than the S5 in the camera dept. The M8 will still shine but they are producing other products for Google so thats why they cancelled the M8 prime.
29. gaara6775 (Posts: 738; Member since: 20 May 2014)
I think they did a wise decision because they don't sell much products these days,and if m8 prime fails then what? Better they save what they have n invest next year. Also rumors are nexus 8 going to be made by HTC so they might be focusing on that.
3. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Galaxy F and G3 are both excellent smartphones. It just seems like LG could've equipped G3 with 805 instead of releasing the initial one with 801 and then a new one with 805 just to compete with Samsung's new badboy
4. uchihakurtz (Posts: 358; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Well wouldn't that be a slap in the face for G3 owners. The current G3 would've been perfect with 1080p 5 inch display with that SD801, then the upgraded version can be the above. It's like the current G3 was a mistake if this launches.
5. hawss (Posts: 4; Member since: 13 Jun 2014)
I hope that they add IP67 too...it should be a standard feature on all flagships now.
6. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
There are better Cpus out there, and all 3 companies are using and just relying on Snapdragon....
It will make no difference, all 3 will have the same performance.
7. aayupanday (Posts: 574; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Like I said earlier, Qualcomm is the one to blame for Companies which are being forced to produce Prime versions of their respective flagships.
11. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
LG just messed it up all, thats why lg is still amateur, and samsung continues to rule 'em all.
12. refillable (Posts: 1038; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Amateur? You're kidding me. Their Workers are paid more than you do.
15. hipnotika (Posts: 353; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
if they were amateur. their ui wouldnt be better than crappy touchwizzzzz
19. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Cartoony UI is what dragging many normal joes to SAMSUNG...
Normal people tend to like TW...
27. ikenvape (Posts: 169; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Dude, you have no idea what your talking about. Lg has been in this since the beginning and your Sammy is just knock offs. The only thing differentiating them is the samsung has more powerful marketing.
16. Japultra (Posts: 114; Member since: 16 May 2014)
This is what the G3 should have been in the first place. Not sure why they pushed the launch up. They should have kept it around the same time as the G2 and went with the 805 in the first place.
17. DBounce (Posts: 144; Member since: 26 Apr 2014)
All new flagships should be shipping with minimum 805 and up to 810 chips. Tablets too should have the new chips. And why shouldn't QHD or even 4k be the screen standard? Yeah I know you can't see the pixel with your naked eyes, but when the headsets that adapt your phone to a VR headset become common, you'll understand why you need 4k on a 5" phone.
21. jsze100 (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Jun 2014)
VR headset would need 4K then, not the phone display; so it still wouldn't matter. The phone will need to be capable of streaming out 4K as well, but that is attributed to the SoC, not the display.
38. DBounce (Posts: 144; Member since: 26 Apr 2014)
No, the new headsets will use your phone's display as the screen. This way they will be cheaper as you already own the most expensive part. You will simple slide your phone into the headset adapter. Samsung already is working on one, as are the other phone manufacturers.
A smartphone 2 - 3 inches from your eyes will give a field of view equivalent to a 150 inch TV at 8 feet distance. Do you understand now why they are pushing for qhd and even uhd displays in 5 inch smartphones?
18. antonioli (Posts: 200; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
But don't forget to put a real metallic back in this version.
20. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 211; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Great, now I don't know if I should pick up the current G3. Please OEMs, stop announcing new and improved versions of you recently released smartphones, it's a stupid marketing move and annoying for customers.
23. Armchair_Commentator (Posts: 222; Member since: 08 May 2014)
dang the g3 I want is obsolete before I even get to pre-order it.
34. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 211; Member since: 15 May 2013)
haha yeah how sad is that? I already wasn't sure when I would be able to get the 3gigs version in France, and now this...
28. ikenvape (Posts: 169; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Fall releases are always the ones to wait for. People always jump the gun every Spring
35. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 211; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Well right now I'm rolling with the Moto E, which is a cute transition phone, but as a tech head I can't wait much longer before getting a true beast :)
26. JMartin22 (Posts: 1889; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Wait for the Snapdragon 810 - I doubt it will get any better than that for at least a year and its coming Q1 2015
31. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Why would this make sense at all... July? The actual G3 itself isn't even up for sale yet, so screw korea who cares? Means US / anyone else won't have it
37. JMartin22 (Posts: 1889; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Multiple different high-end LG/Galaxy/Xperia/HTC One handsets in a single year, better variants of the same exact flagship coming out just months just after the original is one of the reasons Apple and their iPhone get their customer satisfactory rating. That's coming from an avid Samsung/Android fan. Lets just be honest, none of these Android OEMs offer any cohesiveness in their product portfolio anymore now that they all strive to have the highest specs to not be overshadowed by one another from one static release date. It's a mess.