Did the BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9982 just visit the FCC?
With the BlackBerry P'9981 now over two years old, the newer model we showed you in August brings plenty of changes. Named the BlackBerry P'9982, it is expected to be made out of aluminum and leather and will be based on the all-touch BlackBerry Z10. Gone is the QWERTY of the future and BlackBerry 10 now is running the show. One thing that hasn't changed is the price tag, which is still expected to read $2000.
What brought the P'9982 to our attention, besides watching a Jetsons marathon on cable, is our scan of the FCC's sign-in sheets to see which devices have recently paid a visit to the August body. We should mention that the device appears to work over AT&T's HSPA+ and LTE pipelines.
Is there really a market for what is essentially a $2000 BlackBerry Z10? After all, the Canadian manufacturer recently had to write off nearly $1 billion worth of the device that is collecting dust in the warehouse. And even if there is a market for this, shouldn't resources be directed toward making BlackBerry more competitive with iOS, Android and yes, Windows Phone?
1. aayupanday (Posts: 513; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Looks like an HTC One clone sans the BoomSound speaker grill..
5. eldyagustius (Posts: 124; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
yeah right even the Blackberry Z10 does :)
15. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
Yeah it's Porsche
Even Porsche owners don't have that expensive thing
3. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2475; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Hey, it's PORSCHE. Of course it's expensive.
6. eldyagustius (Posts: 124; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
so what? does it build with Porsche engine?
4. E.S.1 (Posts: 289; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
$2000? Really.. . What does it do? Makes you a coffee in the morning? Goes to work for you?
7. _PHug_ (Posts: 380; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Looks nice but I see a lot of wasted screen potential, just like the HTC one.
Most people look at the HTC One and think beauty but all I see is wasted screen potential
9. decent4u (Posts: 71; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
They are just selling their name, This phone will cost less than $400 if that name is removed.
10. boomboom (Posts: 53; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
even with the name porsche on blackberry it will not sale even 2000 unit with that ridicules price tag
11. xtroid2k (Posts: 341; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
Really! c'mon blackberry. The most popular devices are not even closely priced at this range. Somebody feels "well hung" in Canada. I don't care what the phone said on it. Ludacris and this is why the ship is sinking.
12. E.S.1 (Posts: 289; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
I agree... I'm not sure what are they (Blackberry) trying to accomplish with this?!
16. wildfiregt (Posts: 89; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Not making money with that but making you hear of it. and that works
17. GeekMovement (Posts: 1499; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I wouldn't buy it even if it was $199 on contract.