Cortana goes quiet on the Fourth of July
The outage apparently affected only a small number of Windows Phone 8.1 users. Unfortunately, the same connection to Microsoft's servers that allows Cortana to be updated twice a month, is also the personal assistant's downfall. If something happens to Microsoft's servers, down she goes.
Right now, Cortana is available only in the U.S., on Windows Phone 8.1. The only way to get the new build of Windows Phone in the U.S. is to sign up as a Windows Phone developer with Microsoft, or by purchasing the Nokia Lumia 635. The latter comes with the new build out of the box. The Lumia 635 can be pre-ordered now from HSN, bundled with a pair of chargers for $119.95. The device will ship on July 21st.
Cortana takes a vacation for the Fourth of July
1. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Do the same servers send everything you ask Cortana and information it records about you straight to the NSA?
2. AfterShock (Posts: 2955; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Probably they have a office in Redmond, no need to send abroad just filter it in the redroom.
6. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Apparently, stupidity isn't what Cortana records, hence it must have stopped working when people like you asked her questions.
8. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3697; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
MS and the NSA have been BFF for a long long time -- this association is well known and well documented.
Shatter is asking a rhetorical question.
28. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This is one of the times I agree with you. This has been known since the 90's.
10. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Cortana is still half-baked, and fragmented.. Just like Wp.
16. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I have Chrome Beta
I have Dolphin browser Beta
I have Firefox Beta
20. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1471; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
How do you know how Cortana is like?
22. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Comparing to Siri and Google Now, Cortana is not only more interactive, personal, natural, it can do works too. MS provides Cortana API to developers who can create all kinds of applications, especially when working together with Internet of Things. Expect to see Cortana controlled Home Automation systems soon.
Cortana is actually better. I was in Newyork for 3 days and tried it on my L1020.
24. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1471; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I thought you did not have it since you don't live in the US. Can't say much about it cuz I've not tried Cortana.
23. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Like OxFFF said, Cortana are bunch of real person in a room.
17. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Of course he hasn't. His brains are so small and childish that there is no place for things other than trolling and well, cartoons.
21. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1471; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Lol he told you to stay on topic after the Comment 10.
26. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Why should I? Its not like he stays on topic on any article. He starts trolling mindlessly on ANY WP or Microsoft related article here on PA.
27. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
You go defensive when anyone says negative about your beloved OS and platform.
35. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3616; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Means wp fans are stupid and they ask stupid questions to Cortana and they date with her too LOL.
7. Liveitup (Posts: 1568; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Do servers send everything you ask Google Now and/or Siri and information they record about you straight to the NSA?
After all Google and the NSA are buddies.
12. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Google and NSA aren't just buddies, NSA actually owns Google.
29. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
They learned from the best....Thank MS. I think MS and NSA's relationship dates back before theirs and Google's.
There are many companies that work closely with govt agencies. If you are gonna be paranoid about one, have to be paranoid about alot more.
I do agree with the point of your post...
5. Settings (Posts: 696; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Master Chief called her. They had a galaxy to save.
9. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3697; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I like the theory that Cortana is just some room full of people and not a real AI -- because Microsoft couldn't actually build something that complex -- and they were off for the holiday.
18. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Its still faster and less laggier than Google Now.
25. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
What does Google Now have to do with anything? Ignorant fanboy.
30. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Google Now laggy? This is pure fanboy nonsense.....lol. Wow.
34. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
That's what his username represents.
He's immature and a kid.
Never take a fanboy seriously.
36. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Yes, that was fanboy nonsense, as opposed to your true and very productive comments about WP here.
14. -box- (Posts: 3875; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Didn't have a problem with mine, nor anyone else that I know. Small number of users indeed.
31. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
On, or off, Cortana is the best PA available!
32. Doakie (Posts: 1321; Member since: 06 May 2009)
But technically it isn't available. The Windows Phone 8.1 update hasn't rolled out to any phones yet as an official release. It's only in developer review stage right now. So how is it's downtime news worthy? That's like complaining that something had downtime on Android L, which is also only in developer release. I don't feel this news is worth knowing about. So much is discussed on WP8.1 but no official dates are set. It's rather unfair to blame Microsoft for this.
On a side note I played heavily with my brother in laws Samsung Ativ SE today. Cool phone, however the lack of good apps still makes WP seem like a feature phone OS. Google hurry up and release official apps for your services please!
33. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3561; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I can agree with that... And, in areas where Cortana is available it's not official yet.....
Now, as far as apps are concerned if you're saying that WP doesn't have app because Google services are missing then that's seriously not fair... What about the person who uses all of the MS services that WP has to offer, and that work better with WP devices?.... If Google apps are that important to YOU then YOU shouldn't fool around with WP.... But, MS does provide just as many services that IMO are better than Google's.. You just have to adjust, and accept change, which for a lot of people would be a good thing because WP really is very good..... Now, besides Google services what apps would you be missing?