x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Carriers sell most iPhones, Best Buy selling almost as many as Apple Stores

Carriers sell most iPhones, Best Buy selling almost as many as Apple Stores

Posted: , by Victor H.

Tags:

Carriers sell most iPhones, Best Buy selling almost as many as Apple Stores
The iPhone is clearly the best selling single device on the US market today registering 37 million sales in the last quarter of 2011 alone, but where are those sales coming from? Turns out the majority of sales come from the carriers rather than Apple Stores or other big-box retailers. Not a huge surprise, but still it’s interesting to see the statistical data gathered by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP).

The research company surveyed buyers in December 2011 and January and February this year. Interestingly, retail stores were the most popular place to purchase a phone with a share of 76% of all iPhone sales throughout the period while the remaining 24% of purchases were made online.

When it comes to breaking down the brick-and-mortar store sales, the US big two carriers took the lead, followed by Apple and Best Buy who sold almost an equal amount of iPhones. Here’s the breakdown by stores and carriers:

AT&T          -- 32%
Verizon          -- 30%
Apple          -- 15%
Best Buy          -- 13%
Sprint          -- 7%

The remaining 3% are marked as others and include retailers such as RadioShack that also sell new iPhones.

Overall, it’s clear that despite the small number of Apple Stores, they are extremely effective in selling iPhones and sell more than the much more widely spread Best Buy. Where would you buy your iPhone from?

source: CIRP via AllThingsD

Carriers sell most iPhones, Best Buy selling almost as many as Apple Stores

5 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 23 Mar 2012, 10:17 1

1. irvinkeith (Posts: 54; Member since: 27 Jan 2010)


i've gotten the past 2 iphones from radioshack cuz of the trade and save program

posted on 23 Mar 2012, 10:45

2. darkkjedii (Posts: 9290; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)


I've only bought one iPhone from apple, the rest have come from AT&T.

posted on 23 Mar 2012, 11:43 2

3. kcombs (Posts: 245; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)


With all the crap that goes on in 3rd party retailers, this does not surprise me one bit. I get calls on a daily bases from customers with screwed up accounts, coming from a 3rd party. The big offenders Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Radioshack. In that order.

posted on 23 Mar 2012, 16:29 1

4. theBankRobber (Posts: 642; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)


When I got the Evo 4G at Radio shack, they put the phone on my wife's line which deactivated her phone. Then it caused about a 2 hour phone with Sprint to fix the mix up. Then I find out because of the mess up it made my wife's line the primary line instead of mine and Sprint said they couldn't fix it. Lol WTF. Last I ever go to Radio Shack for a phone.

posted on 23 Mar 2012, 20:46

5. agamhonda (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)


I believe radio shack will catch up very soon. The trade and save will catch on and people will start going to Radio Shack. Right now if you have an iPhone 3GS you can get iPhone 4 for free or if you have an iPhone 4 you can get iPhone 4S for free. Why would you go anywhere beside Radio Shack???

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories