Apple investing $10.5 billion on unique machinery to serve Jony Ive's design team visions
1. sks1969 (Posts: 86; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
No wonder their designs are the same since the first iphone :)
11. superfans (Posts: 153; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
Even though it looks the same , iPhone is still the best looking smartphone out there.
13. taikucing (unregistered)
hello... HTC One?
17. Pancholo (Posts: 378; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
"...for me, iPhone is still the best looking smartphone out there."
There - fixed your typo. But cool story, bro.
27. Finalflash (Posts: 1946; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Calm down people no need to start a flame war. This is strictly for manufacturing cups and not phones.
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6816; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
They will probably still make the same design anyway.
14. Ninetysix (Posts: 1736; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Porche will probably still make the same design anwyay.
16. nortoja79 (Posts: 34; Member since: 21 Feb 2010)
lol...that was one of the best responses ever. epic my friend.
18. Pancholo (Posts: 378; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Your statement would be valid only if you change Porsches as often as you change smartphones.
19. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1673; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Way to compare a $300 device to a $80k+ car. Because they are totally the same thing....
22. Ninetysix (Posts: 1736; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Nothing wrong with my analogy broski. Why change something that is not broken?
28. Finalflash (Posts: 1946; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Because it is broken...chips all over, scuffs all over, scratches like no other phone, gets bent for no reason, wifi/mobile internet signal blows, now even the software is broken, etc.
I mean if its so broken that it can't be fixed, I guess you can't change it. It's surprising that even idiots still pay for it.
29. Ninetysix (Posts: 1736; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Guess which smartphone came up on top on last quarter's smartphone customer satisfaction? Come on...guess...
34. taikucing (unregistered)
only 911 has the same design.
Do 918 Hybrid & Carrera GT have the same design?
2. hossamaltarawneh (Posts: 36; Member since: 18 Oct 2013)
Ibet these machines manufactured by Samsung :)
3. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Good equipment is useless without a good designer. Jony Ive is the most overrated product designer of the decade. I mean, who the hell makes a perfectly nice looking desktop look like a trash can?
Not to mention his new Leica camera "design". And I won't even talk about IOS 7.
4. JMartin22 (Posts: 1300; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
You obviously don't have artist vision good sir! /sarcasm
5. ardent1 (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Bromides and opinions for the febble-minded.
The Lecia camera is going towards charity. Some people are doing good for the world, while those without the talent are just being haters.
There is a reason why Apple products are desirable -- Apple really cares about its designs and build quality. My iPhone 5S is about 4 ounces. It still amazes me Apple could put in so much technology and materials with 10 hour battery life in such a small device. My last smartphone -- the Moto Triumph -- only lasted 3.5 hours between charges. It's so nice not to carry a juice pack or constantly worrying about the phone dying.
7. Sauce (unregistered)
So many haters who lack an artistic and classy eye.
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 13561; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Apples about to step their game up in a major way. Can't wait to but em...all!
10. orca99 (Posts: 87; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
A big chunk of that investment is for machineries and equipment relating to the production of new material for the body parts. In addition to the traditional platic, aluminum and magnesium bodies, they have been researching for a new material for a long time.
21. darkkjedii (Posts: 13561; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I wanna see what these new bigger, redesigned iPhones look like next year. The screen size increase isn't a need, but I'd welcome it. The tides have changed tremendously in favor of them.
24. saffant (Posts: 234; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
It's most DEFINITELY a need. But sure, they can keep the limited screen sized options for those who are still behind the curve... transition takes time. They should offer two models as a result.
26. ThePython (Posts: 469; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Ugh, so many people who fail to see the beauty of a great design.
35. Ashoaib (Posts: 2507; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
probably Samsung will be the manufacturer of their equipement and then apple will bring a law suit against samsung for copying and will steal all the profit samsung will earned from manufacturing this plant