ABI: Tizen to crack top five OS list this year
65% of its installed smartphone base to be in this area. Tizen has support in Asia from mobile operators like KT, NTT DoCoMo, and SK Telekom. Individually, the new OS contenders like Tizen, Firefox and Ubuntu might not generate strong numbers in 2013 alone. But together, ABI sees 135 million smartphones shipped with these new operating systems installed, over the next five years.
We've shown you pictures of the Samsung Redwood, which is a high-end model that could be the first Samsung phone to be powered by Tizen. Some believe that Samsung wants to exclusively build Tizen powered phones in the future and drop Android. The OEM's success with its Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lines was said to be giving the Korean manufacturer the confidence to focus on Tizen flavored models. But some of that speculation has cooled off in light of the recent introduction of the Nexus Edition Samsung Galaxy S4 running on stock Android.
source: ABIResearch via BGR
1. kozza3 (Posts: 574; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
GS4 users get ready for a very interesting update!
yea right... that would be INSANE!!!!
2. NightFelix (Posts: 36; Member since: 29 Apr 2013)
Dual boot with Android JB 4.2.2 and Tizen?
9. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
i want triple boot...
android, tizen and wp, YEAHH!!
16. djripster (Posts: 118; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
Would like to see guys like Samsung give users to flash the OS of their choice before purchase
3. AnTuTu (Posts: 640; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
I think Sammy would introduce a flagship this year based on Tizen for sure.
This OS does look good :)
4. Shatter (Posts: 1970; Member since: 29 May 2013)
They will probably make a Galaxy S4 Tizen edition. Nothing wrong with competition it will just encourage google to make more updates.
5. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 156; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Samsung should really not feel the need to be like Apple. Hopefully they won't think since they've sold a lot of Android phones that they should now have their own OS made exclusively for them and drop Android completely. I'm pretty sure they're not that stupid... But you never know.
11. AnTuTu (Posts: 640; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Who told you that they will completely drop Android?
Tizen is a good OS and there is no harm in trying this OS on couple of flagships along with Android. And Samsung is capable enough to do so.
18. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 156; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
I'm just basing my comment to what was said in the article. Don't get all butthurt about it.
7. FlushGordon (unregistered)
I'm done buying SAMSUNG handsets should they abandon Android and go Tizen exclusively.
8. pratyushgaur.6 (Posts: 24; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Then i would buy other Android phones. I am not following Samsung to any other OS. :)
10. shreehari (Posts: 45; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
total nonsence it would be just like bada
12. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2353; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Now don't make any mistake here in TIZEN like BADA. Bada was a flop, I bought one and I felt bad after purchase, now i'll buy any good Android or WP or BB.
13. Veigald (Posts: 226; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
What's the differentiator over Android then? Less lag? Or is it just that Samsung wants full control over the OS?
14. serge327 (Posts: 43; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Bada OS have been Fail, Now Tizen be the second experiment. If fail still have 3rd experiment call BATIZ OS (combination Bada and Tizen)...
17. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
5th place, eh? So it's Android, iOS, WP, BB, Tizen? That's huge, man. Huge. Bigger than Symbian!!