Google's Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P may have just received their final software update
Because it’s 2018 now, and three (mostly failed) Pixel handset generations have already been released, it’s time to kiss those guaranteed security updates goodbye, as highlighted on a Google support webpage that recently confirmed the Pixel 3 and 3 XL are set for three Android version updates.
The Nexus 6P and 5X were never extended that favor, launching with Marshmallow goodies pre-installed, then receiving Nougat and Oreo promotions only. But monthly security patches continued to roll out simultaneously to eligible Nexuses and Pixels... until yesterday.
Of course, just because these are no longer guaranteed, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll stop straight away and for good. If any major security vulnerability is discovered in the near future, we fully expect Google to do the right thing and patch it up on the two oldies.
But as far as routine security releases are concerned, you probably shouldn’t hold your breath. It’s the end of an era, ladies and gentlemen, and it’s not like you didn’t know this was coming. Now if only Google had some sort of a coherent plan to gain relevance on the global mobile hardware stage...
- Display 5.2" 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Camera 12.3 MP / 5 MP front
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 808, Hexa-core, 1800 MHz
- Storage 32 GB
- Battery 2700 mAh(20h talk time)
- Display 5.7" 1440 x 2560 pixels
- Camera 12.3 MP / 8 MP front
- Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 810, Octa-core, 2000 MHz
- Storage 128 GB
- Battery 3450 mAh(23h talk time)
Posts: 299; Member since: Jul 21, 2014
posted on Nov 07, 2018, 3:18 PM 0
Posts: 1924; Member since: Aug 27, 2009
posted on Nov 08, 2018, 7:55 AM 0
PhoneArena Comments Rules
A discussion is a place, where people can voice their opinion, no matter if it is positive, neutral or negative. However, when posting, one must stay true to the topic, and not just share some random thoughts, which are not directly related to the matter.
Things that are NOT allowed:
- Off-topic talk - you must stick to the subject of discussion
- Trolling - see a description
- Flame wars
- Offensive, hate speech - if you want to say something, say it politely
- Spam/Advertisements - these posts are deleted
- Multiple accounts - one person can have only one account
- Impersonations and offensive nicknames - these accounts get banned
Moderation is done by humans. We try to be as objective as possible and moderate with zero bias. If you think a post should be moderated - please, report it.
Have a question about the rules or why you have been moderated/limited/banned? Please, contact us.
Send a warning to post author
Send a warning to Selected user.
The user has 0 warnings currently.
Next warning will result in ban!
Ban user and delete all posts
Message to PhoneArena moderator (optional):