Debate: How many years of software updates should flagship phones get?

Join the discussion
• 10mo ago

Most of system updates is frivolous stuff. Security updates are more important.

• 10mo ago

I'd take 2 years minimum. I change phones every 4 months so i really don't care honestly.

• 10mo ago

At least for 4 years, 5 would be even better... ?

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago
↵Annyms said:

There is actually no reason to have a new OS release each year. Both iOS and Android are stable now, with addition of new meaningful features decreasing with each version. We can have OS upgrades similar to Windows. The major versions are spaced 7 to 8 years apart with biannual minor upgrades. We can have a major upgrade every 2-3 years and minor upgrade every quarter. This way users can have new features every quarter and the OEMs can also support the devices for longer(no changes to APIs for major version).

That's an interesting angle! I never thought about it that way. You're completely right, but then again, a lot of devs would be losing their jobs, and companies wouldn't be able to force people into buying new models for the software experience (the latest OS).

• 10mo agoedited

Samsung 4 years

Google 5 years

Apple 5 years

Fairphone 6 years

Ofc PA won't mention the leader and instead stopping at Apple.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago
↵Charlie2k said:

Samsung 4 years

Google 5 years

Apple 5 years

Fairphone 6 years

Ofc PA won't mention the leader and instead stopping at Apple.

Faiphone sold around 120,000 devices last year, up from around 88,000 in 2021 and 23,000 in 2018. I'm sure there's a Linux-based phone somewhere that will be updated until the end of time :)), but is it really relevant when nobody has ever heard about it?

• 10mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Wow, that's a bit extreme - so many people will lose there jobs (mostly marketing and PR staff, though) :)))

PA: "Do we need something more radical and stretched out, like ten years? What do you think?"

User: 8 to 10 years.

PA: Wow, that's a bit extreme

• 10mo ago

2 or 3 years, reason: I upgrade every 2 years.

• 10mo ago

Four years minimum! The phones are already Uber so why not?

• 10mo ago

4 years of full software updates, one additional year of security patches

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless