Debate: How many cameras should a smartphone have? What type and why?

Join the discussion
RaduT
RaduT
Original poster
• 8mo ago

3 cameras: Main camera, Ultra Wide and Telephoto. These 3 cameras cover the needs of over 90 % of consumers.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
• 8mo ago

I'll start by shocking everyone here. I think ONE camera will be more than enough if done right. It's the reason why DSLR and mirrorless cameras come with ONE sensor and interchangeable lenses. If smartphones somehow combine the vario tech from the Xperia lineup, the variable aperture that Huawei phones use, and the big 1-inch sensors from the late camera phones, everything else should be achievable with software post.

• 8mo ago

One main camera and multiple zoom cameras. I don't care for the ultra wide or macro cameras. They can remove the selfie camera as well 😂

• 8mo ago

One rear + one front

Rear : 18-22MP , Bayer CFA, 1/1.5", 26mm, f2.0 , 15fps burst with AF, 4K@30 at 120Mbps

Front: 10MP, Bayer CFA, 1/3", 23mm , f2.0, 1080@30 at 65Mbps

This can satisfy my needs.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
• 8mo ago
↵pacattack81 said:

One main camera and multiple zoom cameras. I don't care for the ultra wide or macro cameras. They can remove the selfie camera as well 😂

Why the multiple zooms?

• 8mo ago

One sepearte camera for each category and then continuous improvement in all those categories till the time we are not able to make one camera to fulfill all our needs.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
• 8mo ago
↵Moe2023 said:

One rear + one front

Rear : 18-22MP , Bayer CFA, 1/1.5", 26mm, f2.0 , 15fps burst with AF, 4K@30 at 120Mbps

Front: 10MP, Bayer CFA, 1/3", 23mm , f2.0, 1080@30 at 65Mbps

This can satisfy my needs.

These are some very specific requirements, sir :)

• 8mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

These are some very specific requirements, sir :)

Very simple to be granted. By the way, moto g62 is getting android 13.

It is available here, I do not know how long it has been here.

• 8mo ago

First of all, get rid of all these macro and depth sensors that is just there for manufacturers to be able to say they have a multi-camera setup when in reality they only have one or max two usable cameras.

The way Sony Xperia V does it, with a continuous optical zoom lens is the way to go. With a little more development I am sure that will be able to act as both ultrawide and 10x zoom, all in one camera.

As it is right now though, the S23 Ultra has the most versatile camera system and more companies should adopt the 10x zoom camera.

• 8mo ago

One decent main, and one Zoom all on the back! If there must be a selfie put it in a small top bezel like Sony does. Good enough!

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless