Sanyo SCP-4920 / RL4920 User Reviews

M Skinner
posted on 09 Jan 2009, 00:32

Excellent phone

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->
I have had this phone for three and a half years now, and I just can’t make myself get a new one because this one works so well. I will start with the cons, and there aren’t many. Like other reviewers have mentioned, this is not the phone to get if you want bells and whistles. It is a cell phone and really nothing more. It does not look flashy. In fact I have had some people joke about how my phone looks like a mini version of the old “brick” phones. However, the Sanyo RL 4920 makes up for what it lacks in look by its performance. I am on the Sprint/Nextel network and have always had very good call quality, even when I lived in a basement apartment. I text frequently and the T9 works just fine on this phone. Like others have mentioned, the battery life is phenomenal. I have not replaced the battery in the three and a half years that I have had this phone and I can still goes days without charging it. My favorite thing about this phone is its durability. I am brutal to cell phones. My phone has been dropped more times...

Pros

• Durability
  • Usability

Cons

• It's not pretty
  • No camera or MP3 player

bobby, mr. palm beach int'l.
posted on 21 Mar 2008, 15:28

5.2

Best Battery stand by time !

i've had this phone a few years now, i like it because it's 'just a phone'.
if you want to text or email pictures, use your laptop !
if you want to talk on a phone, use a phone, not a laptop...

i live in Phoenix, Arizona, my carrier is Qwest, the "receptio" really sucks !!! I can't even use the phone in my house because i "drop" all the calls , (unless i'm sitting on the toilet @ a 45 degree angle) let me explain... Qwest says the reason my 'reception' is Terrible is because "i live too close to their towers on south mountain.

fact: i allways get better reception when i am in Miami Beach, Or San Francisco, or Santa Monica, "crystal clear reception(just like being on a land line) & NEVER a dropped call : )

when i am on a cruise for 8 to days, i turn the phone off & when i get back to port in Sab Diego, i turn the ohone back on & 'she's ready to go' !

NO Motorola will do that !

overall, this is probably the BEST "candy bar phone" phone available on the market !
I sure would love to see Sanyo come out w/ a newer "sleeker' looking Body but keep the insides the same !

Buy this phone, if you can get your hands on one....

John
posted on 09 Nov 2007, 20:24

Strictly a phone.

I've had this phone for two years. Reception is terrible over the Qwest network, but it's not the phone's fault; I tried other phones on Qwest and they're worse. When it switches to roaming, the reception is excellent on someone else's network.

Pros:

Everything you've heard about the battery life is true, I once had this phone this on standby for 13 days when I didn't talk on it. It also charges very quickly.

Sound quality is excellent, even when Qwest is about to drop your call.

Key lock works fine and you can answer incoming calls easily.

Phonebook, calendar and clock are very useable. I got a lot of use out of those functions and they didn't let me down.

Keypad works great for dialing and the buttons don't break easily.

Small phone, easy to take with you.

You can set the calendar or clock as the background.

Clock is displayed when the screen is in "sleep mode".

Cons:

When you set the phone to vibrate, it still beeps when it changes networks and stuff. You have to turn off various sounds permanently if you want it to ever to be silent.

Can't upgrade the antenna or attach an external antenna. That's not cool when you're stuck with Qwest for two years.

The clock only syncs up if you power cycle the phone. You might have a mixup on DST if you use the clock as much as I do.

Included games are shareware trash and the keypad is useless for gaming.

You can't upload java games through the cable.

Sound recorder is OK for speaking into,...

Richard
posted on 26 Oct 2004, 13:22

5.6

Mr.

The RL4920 wont stay in sprint pcs mode only. After booting up the phone it will sooner or later switch to automatic mode where the phone can roam and cost you BIG BUCKS. This seems to be a problem in all the Rl4920 phones. Sprint will not acknowledge the problem, even though they have been told about it mutiple times. They stick you with the phone and the problem. Please be aware of this as it is a real problem,and sprint refuses to take action to fix it.

Peter Beckman
posted on 11 Oct 2004, 11:30

Pretty Great Phone for the Money

Speakerphone works well, voice screening of calls is a cool feature, reception is fantastic, screen size is good enough (could be larger), phone weight is a tad heavy but more than acceptable, have dropped it from 4-5 feet 6 times now with nothing broken, nor any scratches on it. It does ringtones and real tones, the phone book is nice, the calendar works, it is a great phone in my book. It's only missing a camera, which I can live without.

The only drawback on this phone is that (1) when charging the backlight stays on all the time (annoying), and (2) after the end of a call, you have to either wait for 5 seconds to go by, or hit a key before you can start dialing again; I wish I could just start dialing from any screen.

Dave Ryland
posted on 22 Aug 2004, 21:55

Battery Life Extraordinary

This is not a flashy type cell phone that's all Star Treky lookin', takes pictures and feeds your dog. I bought this phone for one reason and one reason only . . . battery life. And this phone's got it! I've had this phone on for 6 full days and still registering all power bars! Sound quality is good. Speaker phone is good. If all you're looking for is a phone to talk on that doesn't crap out at the end of every day . . . buy this phone. I've never owned a cell phone with this kind of battery life.