Sanyo Katana User Reviews

Camera6.5/10
Multimedia4.5/10
Reception9.5/10

Sumdumgoy
posted on 28 Dec 2013, 17:01 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Dec 2013)

Useless Katana LX

Sumdumgoy has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I like the phone overall, but I'm broke that's the only reason I applied for the free phone, so that if I was out somewhere and needed to contact someone I could. It is perfectly suited to what I got it for, but it has a useless camera that won't transfer via usb, this is so qlink can charge you if you want to get your pics off of it! No other excuse I can think of.

Build quality 8/10 good solid built phone, so far.
Reception 9/10 Excellent reception, so far. Only had it a short while.
Call quality 8/10 good sound on both ends.
Internet 1/10 I can't afford to use this feature
Camera 4/10 I don't know how good the camera is to be honest because I can't transfer pics from it to anything else via usb and can't afford qlink's prices for data. Got the phone free so I shouldn't complain, but if you won't let me use the camera, leave it off the damn phone!
Everyday usage 2/10 I barely use it, I have a land line with unlimited long distance...
Text input 9/10 It's as good as if not better than any other non-qwerty keypad input I've used.
Display 8/10 small but very crisp.
Battery 5/10 battery life seems to be about average but at least it's not leeched while the phone is not in use.

Pros

• I'm broke and it's free.

Cons

• It's useless to me except as a very very basic mobile phone.
  • No usb synch... NONE!!!

Katana Lover :D
posted on 01 Feb 2011, 16:17

I had this forever and I loved it!

Katana Lover :D has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I had this for 5 years. Sadly My Katana just died, and I have to get a new phone and none of the new phones match up to this phone. This was the greatest phone! best in terms of calling (only had three dropped calls in all of the 5 years of using this cell phone). The camera was good for a cell phone camera. The reception was great (got services that other cell phone providers didn't get). LOVED the game demos cause they didn't disappear after a month of usage. Great email usage, and internet. Maybe the buttons were small compared to other phones to text, but at least my words were spelled correctly ;) And I loved the fact that it was flip phone and not a slide phone, just made everything easier. :D

Build quality 10/10 I loved the design of this phone.

Pros

• Call features
  • Not a lot of missed calls
  • Game demos
  • internet
  • Texting
  • Organized in a great way
  • Bluetooth
  • Flip Phone

Cons

• Buttons were small for texting

Billy
posted on 18 Nov 2008, 14:44

This Phone sucks!!

Ive had this phone for 2 years and hated it since I got it. At first it was fine. Until I bought a ringer. Turns out I couldnt hear it. This phone is so low. If I have it in my pocket I miss all my calls. I have to hold the phone to not miss a call. I got random scratches on the phone everywhere. I take care of all my phones by the way...but after a while, my front screen went white and now I cant see a thing. I have to open the phone to look at the time, and who is calling. The battery door easily falls off. Both my rubber pieces to the Bluetooth and charger have fallen completely off! And now, people cant hear me when were on the phone and I cant hear them. When the volume is all the way up. So This phone is the worse phone out there! It sucks!

Pros

• The camera is the best thing on the phone.

Cons

• The phone sucks!

Billy Jim Jimothy
posted on 28 Oct 2008, 10:23

I decided to post a review after a long time of having this phone. Overall I've found it to be reliable but could be better in certain aspects. The flip mechanism clicks/locks into the open or closed position which I didn't like. After some time, this click/lock mechanism failed and the phone still opens/closes but when I close the phone, it doesn't fully shut and the internal display stays on.
The phone for the most part was quite durable. I've dropped it on cement a couple times and hasn't cracked the screen or anything although did leave some scrape marks. A couple times when I dropped it, the battery came out, but no major damage to the phone.
There has been posts about the internal screen going completely blank, I've had this happen but I simply took out the battery, and put it back in and turned the phone on and that seemed to work. I have also had problems with late texts or not receiving them at all, but not too often. This phone was quite easy to text with I found though, however, if you text lots as well, you will most likely wear out that closing/opening click/locking mechanism part of the phone which annoyed me when that happened.

Pros

• Durable for the most part

Cons

• Flip mechanism
  • Internal screen blank-out (goes white)... Rarely happened
  • Delayed texts... infrequent

charged
posted on 07 Dec 2007, 08:50

not so charged

Again I have found another Sanyo phone that craps out at the charging port. Have liked its slim style compared to others but having trouble with the unit blue screening on me. I keep the phone in my pocket and was never abused so I am surprised by its disfunction. The listening port is also a pain to position for best operation. Wouldnt buy it again.

Christina
posted on 05 Nov 2007, 23:27

Not worth it...

This phone has so many problems.. I've had to replace it once because the screen went completely and irreversibly white... I've taken it in this past week after the screen turning white AGAIN and having problems like not receiving phone calls and getting texts over 2 hours late and sometimes not at all.

The phone scratches and cracks very easily. I had my phone in my jacket pocket, pulled it out and it had a huge crack in it.. THe phone almost feels as if it's made of cheap plastic...

The camera is just average as is the memory space...

The phone doesn't hold its charge well... The sound quality isn't very good either...

Overall, this phone is not worth the money...

maleko
posted on 20 Nov 2006, 11:16

simba2nd

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, using the voice tag option you can make calls as well w/o opening the phone. Also setting up the "Favorites" option is another cool feature, I put additional phone numbers in there as well and have them set to call or you can have it set to text, since all my speed dials selections are full. I may even get another as a backup incase something happens to this one. I'll have to check on ebay. Don't get the RAZR V3m, too complicated as all Motorolas, even the new Samsung M-500 you have to go thru option menus to activate the speakerphone, and their both "power vision" phones in which that setup is not full operational, at least not in my area.

maleko
posted on 19 Nov 2006, 23:33

simba2nd

I've own the A900, short battery life,poor charging design, A920, good but bulky and ugly, pwr vision not worth the money, neither is EV-DO. VM4500 and the MM5600, and the just releaded V3m RAZR, what a P.O.S. nothing like it's GSM counter parts (I just came back to Sprint from Cingular) But the Katana is a great phone. Simple menus like all Sanyo's. I don't need a Mp3 player or video rec, camera, well that's a bonus. don't care that it's only VGA. Sweet that you can use voice tag and make and end calls w/o opening the phone. Volume is clear and loud on both earpiece and speaker. I only wish the side buttons were on the bottom of the flip, but seeing I had Cingulars V3i RAZR, I'm used to the buttons on the top of the flip.

Christian
posted on 18 Nov 2006, 19:58

Katana

I want to know why ever review says the katana is trying to live up to the razr the katana is as good as the razr and i have one so i think its a good phone but it doesnt matter what the buttons feel like? i like the phone period no matter if it doesnt have 3g nuthing but i give it a 8.5 outta 10

j-izzel
posted on 08 Nov 2006, 11:31

more bang fot the buck!!!

First of all, I would like to say that of all of the phones i had the KATANA has been the best, it doesn look cheap like the razor, the inside display its gorgeous, easy to use and it has very good signal strenght. The KATANA is in a class by it self. The only problems i have with the KATANA is that it does not come with flash and it does not record video, also the ringers from sprint.com do not sound as good as they should be. I work for sprint and of all the phones we carry, nothing comes close to the KATANA.

dman8
posted on 05 Nov 2006, 20:19

Awesome...Very Durable!

This phone is sweet! It i was underpriced in my perspective. I get signal anywhere i go and i live in a small town. I seriously recommend this phone to anybody.

Faisel
posted on 21 Oct 2006, 08:29

5.8

RAZR's Twin Cousin?

Well, it may be a RAZR lookalike but it has nearly the same specificatons as a RAZR, this phone looks crap, the keypad however looks ok but still isn't good. If it's like the RAZR than it's not a true value for money BOOMERANG!

Timothy S.
posted on 16 Oct 2006, 21:41

The Katana, Blade, and Razr

OMG, the katana is the best phone i've ever had!!!!!the only thing that I wish the katana had was the inside of the motorazr.the inside of the katana seems boring.I know that sprint doesn't own a razr or any motorola phone( thats stupid!) so i just got the next best thing, the KATANA!!!!! it is much better than my old phone, LG 325(slider phone), it took at least 3 mins. to come on and looks like the bottom could easily break :D. So I saved up my allowance to $180 and bought a katana( I'm only 13).My freind as the razr so everytime we go to school we compare phones even though the katana is a little thicker than the katana it still has a few more features. did you know that sprint might come out with a new red razr in november.I just wish that sprint or any customers of any company could create a phone of there own. I did but didnt send it to them.I called it the SlimR. its a fusion of the katana and razr, and a little bit of the blade. the blade looks aight but the front piece looks shorter than the back plus i like phones that has a base a the bottom.anywhoo the katana was worth buying and the cost that i mentioned was with a 1 year contract.

Jim
posted on 02 Oct 2006, 14:34

GREAT PHONE

While I will admit that I have never looked at the blade and I have not owned a phone for some time, I do love the KATANA. I had a cell phone back in the late 2000. I had a nokia and loved that fact that it was slim and could forget that it was ever in my pocket. I never needed a case for it. When I looked at getting a cell phone again that kind of phone is what I was looking for. I have found it and its a great phone.

Slick
posted on 17 Sep 2006, 18:02

Loyal 2 Sayno

I own the Katana, AKA SPC-6600, and I'm very satisfied. I've owned 3 Sayno phones prior to this one, and I would never consider any thing else, especially NOT Samsung. I had a couple of Samsung phones before, and they BOTH sucked, BIG TIME, especially when it came to reception.It dropped calls all over town, and was constantly roaming, a real P.O.S., if you know what I mean.Besides, if you've owned one Sayno, you can pick up a brand-new model, and be right at home with the controls and menu. The Katana has one of the best screens available, good charge/talk time, and a decent camera. It may lack features like a mp3 player, and a USB cord for uploading pictures. If you need that get an ipod, and a digital camera. It's a phone, use it to make and recieve calls, if that ain't enough may I suggest a Treo. To each his own, but I love my Katana!!!

wizayne
posted on 03 Sep 2006, 14:19

i love this phone

my family loves these phones so much that we bought 3 of them right away. they are a great phone, although they are hard to find a flattering case for. i'd highly advise you to consider this telephone when making your next purchase

JW
posted on 04 Aug 2006, 20:37

4.2

Sanyo's Katana is terrible

I had the katana a week and took it back to Radio Shack and got the LG350. The Katana felt cheap, the features on the side of the phone were in an ackward place, and the sound quality was poor and inconsistent. My nephew also bought this phone and kept it a week also. The LG350 has all the same features as the katana, but with superior quality.

Gman
posted on 31 Jul 2006, 22:18

4.8

Slim phone?? no phone?

I was totally sanyo till the katana came out. I am out of the closet! I am samsung now. THE BLADE! The blade wins this sword fight hands down. I Cant believe i said that! I was blindly betting on sanyo though.

phoneman
posted on 31 Jul 2006, 22:15

6.6

Not so great!

I have been waiting for sanyo to come out with the answer of the best slim phone. Phone felt very cheap and nothing compared to the blade. The sanyo 8200 and 8300 were better phones other than the size. Sorry but samsung topped it out on the slim line.

posted on 23 Jul 2006, 20:54

Mr.

Sanyo has always had good features and an easy menu to use. But this phone felt really cheap to hold. I guess the plastic front and back sides made it feel that way to me. Sanyo still needs to work on their RAZR clones a lot more. Price is good with a new line of service, but if your not whithin the 18 mo upgrade period, this phone is not worth it.

dsampson
posted on 13 Jul 2006, 21:25

Sanyo Katana

Good phone way better than the blade. The are a few things that could have been better. Ringtones are kind of low. It's a very good phone but it lacks some extra features that makes it special.