Samsung Convoy User Reviews

Call quality8.6/10
Battery9.3/10
Reception8.6/10

tah6241960
posted on 14 Nov 2011, 08:11 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)

BEST PHONE EVER

tah6241960 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I have had the Samsung Convoy for 2 years and it has been the best phone I have ever had. It has the best reception and call quality. The battery will last for several days without needing charging. I have just changed to the LG Octang because I wanted to text and the Octang makes it easier to text, but the reception is not nearly as good and it is not as easy to use as the Convoy.
If you want a great phone that is simple, this is it.

Text input 7/10 Never tried.

VerBaby
posted on 06 Nov 2011, 11:09 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)

Gonna Replace ASAP

VerBaby has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

While I am a staunch flip phone advocate, I am considering a smart phone, have to move to the 90s right? My issues with the Convoy are the blue tooth and the T9 vocabulary. The phone auto pairs with my car for about 2 weeks then I have to re-seat the battery. Usually don't discover until I receive a call while driving. When texting you would think it would recognize the need for the word 'is' or 'it' rather than '47' or the word 'when' instead of '9436'. I have had two upgrade downloads and no improvement. My Motorola V9 was so much better.

Build quality 10/10 Very sturdy, no damage when I smash on the steering wheel in frustration over the non-auto pair.
Internet 6/10 Seems a little slow to access. Maybe my expectations are too high, after all it is just a phone.
Multimedia 1/10 Don't use.
Camera 5/10 not many options to zoom etc, in fact I don't think the zoom feature works at all
UI speed 1/10 Have no idea what this is, not a techie type
Display 5/10 ditto another reviewer, not good in sunlight, but I just look for some shade

KittyTheDog
posted on 24 Oct 2011, 23:04 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)

Nothing but good things to say!

KittyTheDog has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

First off I have to say I love the Military specs! The phone is durable, and yes it is bulky but it also helps with the durability! To me it seems harder to loose something you KNOW is there. The camera on the phone is amazingly clear and the sound quality for ringtones is great! I love that you can put an SD card in it and use it as an MP3 plus it has internet as well as video messaging. No the video messaging isn't the best thats probably the only downfall. I text alot and recieve alot of calls, this phone is the old style texting but to me its faster and the buttons are bigger and more clear! The call quality is amazingly clear as well as reception and sound! Plus it picks up service just about anywhere I go. I always get my texts on time and it has never messed up. Love that you can text without having to open the phone and go into it as well! Really theres not a whole lot you can even say wrong about this phone and I'd recommend it to anyone. Its also good for elder people because buttons are bigger then touch screen and its clear to see. Phone even has a larger phone font option that is perfect! I've dropped mine a few times and it just really holds up wonderfully.

Multimedia 8/10 video quality is poor. can't see video well and its distorted.

• internet
  • sound of speakers
  • dual screens
  • huge contact list
  • sd card slot

Cons

• video recording is poor quality

YANKEEBOY
posted on 18 May 2011, 01:31

GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT PHONE

YANKEEBOY has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Did alot of looking around on the net bout this phone happy i got this insted of the junk moto or casio has to offer i would recommend this phone to any one who wants a great phone with good features loud speakers and very loud ear piece bravo to the convoy bravo

Internet 1/10 DONT USE THE NET

Pros

• just an all around great phone i

Cons

• ahh not that it matters but not fully water proof but oo well

kd
posted on 14 May 2011, 09:28

Long Battery Life!

kd has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Before this phone, I had a Blackberry & two Droids. While those were great phones, the battery life on them was terrible. I got sick of charging my phone around the clock & decided to try something a bit simpler. I researched Verizon phones with long battery lives & this seemed to be one of the best in that department. Although this isn't the fanciest or most attractive phone, it's dependable and the battery life is amazing. I only charge it about once a week & could go even longer than that if I wanted! I admit, I do miss having a full QWERTY keyboard, but the battery life more than makes up for it.

Internet 2/10 I don't use the internet, so I can't really rate this aspect.

Pros

• Super long battery life!

Cons

• A little bulky

JRMtwo
posted on 30 Mar 2011, 16:55

JRMtwo has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I like the solid feel of the phone. Sound is clear with speaker on and off. Reception is about average but no antenna port. Battery life is excellent. Screen usless in daylight. Holster falls off belt easly but sealed ports make for pocked or purse carry. Port covers attached to phone when off the port. Ring solund level a bit low. Interface is similar to last phone and covers all the tasks I need.

Internet 5/10 Not used
Multimedia 5/10 Not used
Camera 9/10 Limited use
UI speed 9/10 not used

Pros

• Solid feel

Cons

• Screen useless in daylight

worzie
posted on 11 Feb 2011, 13:03

Hated it at first

worzie has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Very satisfied with the battery life! I don't text or surf so re-charge once a week is all. Call quality is great. Great customization of buttons and shortcuts. Hated the fact that I couldn't hit a key in the middle of the night to see what time it was, but, found that holding one of the front keys down turns it on. Nice lock feature was prob needed. No accidental pics and music playing. Not sure if it ever got fixed, but the calendar reminder for reoccurring events is a fail for second time around. Works only for one occurrence. Love having the microSD slot! Hate having to readjust the volume when not using hands-free. Normal talk volume is too low for bluetooth; have to crank it up. Hate the AA auto answer icon on the left side of the screen. Don't need that info... I know I turned it on for hands free!

Build quality 9/10 Built tough
Reception 7/10 Get dropped calls now and then, may have been a quirk on the network side
Call quality 7/10 Great once the volume is set but sucks if you accidentally bump or need to adjust after using hands-free
Internet 5/10 Don't use don' know
Multimedia 5/10 Don't use don't know
Camera 8/10 Great but not used too often
UI speed 9/10 Took some getting used to. Many many customizations is good!
Everyday usage 8/10 Gets tough to find a pocket for it as it is a bit bulky, thick and heavy
Text input 5/10 I don't text don't know
Display 8/10 Looks fine. Hate the AA (auto answer icon). Can't display some pics I took at higher resolution with previous phone.
Battery 10/10 Once a week!

Pros

Cons

• Bulky

Hawkeye Pierce
posted on 30 Nov 2010, 07:03

Not The Best

Hawkeye Pierce has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Long battery life, large bulky flip phone - poor screen resolution - camera okay, not great - lack of accessories, i.e. cases/covers - fair call quality in fringe areas - okay call quality in good signal area - not one of Samsung's best phones. Feature phone uses are being left out when it comes to good feature phones, carriers plan to force everyone into a smartphone to generate more revenue.

Build quality 5/10 Heavy & bulky - still plastic
Reception 3/10 Poor - static - fringe areas not good
Internet 2/10 Don't use
Multimedia 2/10 Don't use
Camera 3/10 Fair quality
Text input 3/10 Not a qwerty keyboard
Display 3/10 Dim Screen - Useless outdoors
Battery 9/10 Multiple days of battery life

Pros

• Long Battery Life

Cons

• Bulky - no cases/covers - poor screen - marginal call quality

Joker
posted on 09 Jun 2010, 23:52

Best phone ever

I personally love this phone, I upgraded from the LG-VX8300 and boy some of the features that the LG didn't have this does. But I don't know where to start at... let me see... the 2.0 megapixel camera is better, like the fact that it has a quieter vibration than the LG, also the dual speakers sound great!

Pros

• 2.0 megapixle camera
  • vibration
  • musicplayer
  • Rugged
  • big screen
  • can look at messages on outer screen

Cons

• nothing!!!!

sportranch
posted on 09 Jun 2010, 22:33

design is nice

I did some research online and found some helpful information on using the T9 Word feature that is not noted in the manual or when I contacted Verizon for assistance (although I informed verizon of this tip).  Press the 0 key to change the word while texting, now my life just got easier knowing this.

Pros

• Great signal, like the flip shut design and the T9 Word feature now that I know how it functions.

Cons

• volume button on the side gets changed when talking or handling the phone.

sportsranch
posted on 09 Jun 2010, 21:46

design is nice

I've had similar phones with the design and functions that the convoy has.  I find it easy to use and learn and move around in the menu.  we tried other phones of different styles and they don't seem to have the durability or range that the convoy has.  The signal is strong enough to talk and hear the person on the other end.   I need a phone that gets good range and clarity due to my work and home locations. I like that I don't have to lock it and not worry that buttons will be pressed and calls made while its tucked away in my pocket.

Pros

• great signal, easy to learn and use. like the flip shut desgin

Cons

• the T9 Word feature doesn't work as it should, volume button on the side gets changed due to the way you hold the phone when talking.

Richard Ramsdell
posted on 27 Apr 2010, 18:06

Rammer

For my needs, a simple feature phone is sufficient. The Convoy is well built, has a nice set of features, and a straightforward design. The battery is vigorous in talk time and stand-by. Call quality is exceptional and photos are commendable for a 2 meg camera. The Samsung Convoy is an excellent choice for those who don’t need a phone that is essentially a bulky mini-computer.

Pros

• Call quality, battery, design, construction, features.

Cons

• None.

samsung convoy rocks
posted on 09 Mar 2010, 09:05

SAMSUNG CONVOY

Have had this phone 4 months and no problems. I have had verizon for many years and have had numerous phones and MANY PROBLEMS !!!  I would agree with the previous rewiews MOTOROLA IS TOTAL ***!!  every motorola phone I have owned had the same problem. Verizon finally got it right!!! great battery life everything about this phone is perfect!!

Pros

• battery life, not haveing to go to the verizon store once or twice a month
  • with phone problems samsung got it right!!

Cappy
posted on 03 Jan 2010, 09:18

Great

Great phone, not one of those sissy phones.  Loud, rugged, great reception.  Works good with Plantronic Voyager Pro bluetooth.  Have tried G'Zone, Barrage.  Like previous reviewer, those phones were junk.  Maybe you could throw the G'Zone in the water, but mine would reboot itself about 10 times a day.  Verizon replaced it 3 times, finally I gave up and got a refund.  And that Barrage!  I never had a phone with a talk time battery life of about 1 hour.  And that was with the PTT and GPS locater turned off!

Pros

• A tough phone from Verizon that work good (finally).

Cons

• Screen could be brighter in sunlight. Speakerphone button gets pushed by mistake when holding phone.

dirty j harry
posted on 24 Nov 2009, 16:07 (Posts: 6; Member since: 28 Jul 2009)

SAMSUNG CONVOY

Started off with the barrage aka GARBAGE Much more ruggard better battery life everything about the phone is better  I had so many problems with the GARBAGE phone would lock up when make calls I would tell anyone buyer beware for the barrage also with this so called Altell hybrid PRL phone would not acess vzw towers everytime call deynied. With the CONVOY NO NO NO NO PROBLEMS so what does that tell us  BRAVO TO THE CONVOY I love this phone grear job SAMSUNG.