BlackBerry Tour 9630 User Reviews

Reception7.5/10

Lee
posted on 04 Aug 2011, 01:23

BEST PHONE EVER.

Lee has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This is my second blackberry and i love it. at first i had the curve 8330, it wasent that bad but the only thing i really liked on the phone was the keyboard. it was slow it shut off whenever it felt like it and it would freezee all of the time. now that i have the tour, its amazinggg! its fat the tracballs better and the LED key board lighting is the best i can see all of my keys clealrly now and its just the best thte internet is so.so but the phones great for texting and emailing. but the bad feature is the charger port placement and the dicontinuation of the wifi feature. the chager port is at the bottom of the cellular device and its hard to use the phone while on charge. but overall i love the phone~

Pros

• keyboeard
  • keyboard desplay and usage
  • batterey
  • everyday usage of the cell

Cons

• charger port placement
  • wi fi discontinuation

justanotherrs
posted on 28 Oct 2010, 23:55

Your old man's smartphone

justanotherrs has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I absolutely hate this phone as do most people I've talked to about it. The only thing it really does well is messaging. Though you may have to do a battery pull when you realize that you just received a big dump of messages all at once that were actually sent some time ago. The out of the box OS when this phone released was poor and the updates made it somewhat more bearable. The internet browsing is so unreliable as to be essentially worthless unless you happy to be having a lucky day and have an emergency. Tried the Opera browser which is even less reliable than RIM's if a bit faster. Have had to pull the battery because Opera wouldn't respond to the trackball. Seems to me that Verizon should only charge for SMS and email on this device because for all practical purposes this is all that it can do. I'm pondering paying out of pocket for a Droid phone to get me through the next year before my 2 year contract is up and I can cancel my data plan. Really irritates me to pay $30 a month for email access that I barely use. What a mistake! This is not a consumer phone. Unless you are a business user, don't bother with this obsolete POS.

Internet 2/10 Doesn't always work, can't load Flash, very slow, locks up requiring battery pull. Opera for blackberry is nearly as bad as blackberry browser. So bad it's ridiculous you have to pay for a data plan. Unless you have a dire emergency you won't use internet on this. I end up using my iPod Touch for quick browsing at home.
Display 4/10 Can't compete with modern smartphones

Pros

• Battery life, good build quality, fits in pocket

Cons

• everything else, apps are terrible, virtually no internet access, frequent battery pulls, clearly bottom of the barrel OS programming

Wasis Widjajadi
posted on 28 Jul 2010, 03:20

Best Smart phone ever

I like to try a new gadget whenever first come to the market, my phone the longest use only 2 - 3 months after that i have get bored. But this Blackberry I have owned almost a year now and i have no attention to changed to other smart phones, of  course i also tried SE X10 Android and no doubt it also tempting BUT once again But never want to change my BB, the functions is amaze me - how easy to track contact, push email (although other smartphones have tried but no succeed) and of course the BB messenger. As I said before although i stick with the BB but I have tried 8310, 8520 gemini, 9000 Bold (i have lost it), and now end with 9630, so far i have satisfied with all. this new one 9630 i have two complaint track ball and battery - and that's it, but i am consider to change to 9700 although have small memory compared with previous one but those two requirements i think the most vital amongst other.

Pros

• Big memory, sleek design

Cons

• Short Battery life, track ball less quality than 9000, getting hot if you use for a long time

P Armstrong
posted on 03 Jun 2010, 14:36

Best tool I own

This is my 1st BB which I've now had for 2 months.As time goes on I'm more impressed with the features and ease of use.I figure I'm saving at least 10 to 20 hours a month vs. previous communicationmethods for emails, texting and voice. Since it's a private business tool this saved timecovers my monthly 3G communciations bill for a variety of devices at least5 times over.  Oh, and it's fairly durable too.

Pros

• Time saver. Ease of use. Smart design. Durability.

Cons

• I can't think of any.

runin2music
posted on 17 Mar 2010, 10:54 (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Mar 2010)

Not the best BB for users within USA

This is a very good phone....same reliable BB features as any other. Looks sleek too. However, upon comparing this BB to the recent BB 8530 Curve II, its only benefits include a 3.2MP camera (the Curve II has a 2.0MP camera) and the ability to utilize GSM (SIM card) networks worldwide. So if you rarely travel to Europe, not much use. The Curve II has everything the Tour has, but instead of GSM capability, it boasts WiFi connectivity (faster download speeds!!). Not to mention the Curve II has a trackpad instead of a trackball, which means no need to clean or replace the most used hardware piece on your phone. Oh, and the Curve II is lighter. And it has Bluetooth version 2.1, whereas the Tour has 2.0.  The charging port on the Tour is located on the bottom right side of the phone (right-handed texters, beware the frustration while charging!), whereas the Curve II has its port on the top left side (works for everyone!).  And the Curve II retails at a lower price compared to the Tour.  And for any people out there who use hearing aids, the following is extremely important: The American National Standards Institute (both respected and official) gives the Tour an M3 rating, which means the phone "satisfies" acoustic hearing aid standards; whereas the BB Curve II receives an M4 ("exceeds standards" for acoustic aids) and a T4 ("exceeds standards" for induction hearing aids).  My summary: If you live in the US and rarely leave the US, and you...

Pros

• - 3.2 MP camera
  • - GSM network capability for worldwide travelers
  • - Good battery life

Cons

• - No WiFi
  • - Trackball (always getting dirty, leads to poor responsiveness and poor sensitivity)
  • - Location of charging port inhibits user experience while charging
  • - Poor hearing aid compatibility ratings

Alan
posted on 27 Dec 2009, 19:55

I'd Still Pick a BB Over Anything Else!

I've had my Sprint BB Tour for 3 months now love it more and more each day! This is my first BB so it was a bit fustrating to learn at the very beginning. I've had my bb mobile 'network technology' option set on '1XEV' during the first two months because I heard that this would increases battery life. But I was experiencing lots of freezing up on screen especially if I navigate too fast by clicking the trackball and downloads were slow. I noticed that by adjusting the trackball sensitivity to lower value (slower) helps keep the screen from freezing as often. Last month I added a 4GB micro sd memory card to my bb and decided to switch my bb mobile 'network technology' option to 'global' instead. Since then the battery life is half of what it use to be when set on '1XEV'. The screen no longer freezes up. If it does, it's just for a few seconds (not noticeable). But I do clear my browser cache, history, and cookies quite often. My trackball was having problems scrolling up recently which became annoying. I didn't have time to take it back to Sprint at the time so I turned off my bb, took out the battery, sim card, memory card and gave it a thorough cleaning; especially around the trackball area. Well, the cleaning paid off. The trackball is good as new. Maintenance is necessary and no different than a home pc. Other than the above mentioned quirks, this bb Tour is incredibly amazing! The navigation, the texting, the...

Pros

• Speed, very fast, easy to learn, can do just about everything except cook, best phone camera available!

Cons

• Trackball takes getting used to.

joe momsphone
posted on 27 Dec 2009, 17:53

tour is the best

i have the tour and it puts any other phone to shame. its dirty smooth and has great features. the operating system is easy to use and does everything u need it to.  the phone is soo fast as well anyone who doesnt like this phone doesnt know what good is thats why they keep bouncing from phone to phone cuz they are not smart enough to use blackberry

Pros

• the whole phone

britthammondn
posted on 17 Nov 2009, 16:30

blackberry tour

I've had the Pearl and the Curve, and now the Tour. I was skepitcal because I heard rumors about the trackball not working properly and several other issues. I will admit that yes, a few times the trackball has been sticky and it freezes, but nothing that drives me nuts. Now that I've actually 'broken in' the phone, it works fine! The camera takes GREAT pictures and the sound quality during phone calls is good too. One small complaint is the that the battery life isn't great at all, but it isn't any worse than any other smartphone. This is why car chargers and extra batteries were made, and are ALWAYS a good idea. Overall, I'd reccomend this phone. But not to the person who expects perfect... that hasn't been made yet.

Pros

• camera, call quality

Shelley
posted on 26 Oct 2009, 18:22

Trackball is awful

I really liked this phone for the first 2 months. The trackball, however, is horrific! I am beyond frustrated and am hoping RIMM figures this one out. I have 2 other Tour's and they all experience the same issue! It randomly works, but its horizontal movement is almost non-existent which makes scrolling back and forth nearly impossible.

Pros

• Screen size, keyboard

Cons

• Trackball, trackball, trackball

niknak05
posted on 15 Oct 2009, 19:18

Tour not 100% great

I agree that when I first got this phone, I thought it was amazing. Now I have had it for two months and things start breaking down, the track ball refuses to work at all, it shuts off whenever it pleases, and my phone freezes randomly. The track ball is a big issue, it takes me like 20 mins to a hald hour just to get it to move over to the next icon. Iy was fun while it lasted, but I want a regular phone again, Blackberrys aren't worth it.

Pros

• internet, email, pictures, free radio and other downloads.

Cons

• track ball stops working, freezes up randomly, internet takes a while to load, and did I mention the TRACK BALL?

posted on 13 Oct 2009, 16:13

I havent found anything bad about this phone.  Had the strom before this and hated it.  The tour is the best BB out there.  i havent had a dropped call.. No problems with scroll ball...it is durable.

Pros

• Everything on this phone is an A+

Cons

• No cons at all...this phone rocks

sh0rt
posted on 09 Oct 2009, 11:02

love it

********************************************************************** first blackberry and i love it......love touch screen phones but everyone talked me into getting a blackberry...i would buy another blackberry. did not know about it before but having the tour has changed my mind ******************************************************************************************************

Pros

• applications
  • blackberry messaging

pittwrestler125
posted on 27 Sep 2009, 11:15 (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Sep 2009)

excellent phone

Ive had this phone for a few weeks now and i love it. The phone is extremely fast and has a pretty good battery life for a phone which is constantly on the internet and checking email. Takes a super long time to bring up song id that is about the only complaint that i have.

• large screen

Cons

• slow bringing song id up

PhonePhreak
posted on 24 Sep 2009, 13:12

I loved this phone when I first got it on July 18th after I had pre-ordered it.  I started noticing little quirky things that I didn't like after a few weeks though.  The phone would take an extremely long time to load the song ID and the battery life seemed to be going downhill.  So, I did some research and found out that there is a way to improve the battery life, thank goodness!  You go into manage connections, click on mobile network and change it from Global to 1exev.  This improved the battery life greatly.  The only other complaint is that from time to time I get an error message when I try to use the camera.  The error says to close other applications before trying to restart the camera, even if you don't have anything running.  The only way I've found to fix this problem is by pulling the battery.Overall this is a decent phone.

Pros

• Lots of Apps
  • High Resolution Screen
  • Facebook App

Cons

• Freezing from time to time.
  • Extremely long restart time- 15 minutes usually

Mic Mc Devitt
posted on 08 Sep 2009, 20:19

Excellent. And im a Geek, Id know lol

This was my second blackberry. I had the storm for a little while but i really really hated it. It was slow and unresponsive and i wanted to get rid of it, so i did (Thank you eddie from craigslist). So i went to my VW store and got myself this phone. I had it for about a day and havent had any trouble with it compared to my Storm which went slow from the first boot. So it was pretty easy to set up. Has a great interface, And has been so easy to transfer everthing over. I would recomend this to anyone. Nice screen, Easy keyboard use. And hey the trackball is actually cool. I recommend this 100%!

Pros

• Interface
  • App Support

Cons

• None i can think of, Its that good!

Roseanne
posted on 05 Sep 2009, 18:56

My First BB

This is my first blackberry. I really love it. I had the LG Dare and I loved that phone but I wanted to be able to do more things. The two issues I have encountered with the Tour is the short battery life and the trackball sticking. I took it to verison within the 30 days and they replaced it for me. Other than that, I love it.

• Trackball issues

daizy26
posted on 03 Sep 2009, 22:32

I'm torn...

I've had the Tour with Verizon for a little over a month now. I love it, but I'm having some issues. This is the 2nd one I've had. Replaced the first one within the 30 day period. When I get an email, there is no red star on the icon telling me, I have to go into it to know which email had the new one. Also, people have been telling me they get my SMS messages 2 or 3 times instead of just once.
Other than that, I found the apps are great. I have Pandora, Google Maps, and UberTwitter set up. There is no lag in email or mms. Amazing picture quality. The battery life kinda sucks but it's expected with such a data-heavy device. I plan on exchanging my Tour again, because of the fact of the SMS getting sent over and over, but I will definately not get a different device. It is perfect in every other way!

Pros

• User friendly keyboard
  • Great camera
  • Amazing UI
  • Great looking

Cons

• Sends repeat SMS
  • Does not notify me of new emails

Victor B. Raliff
posted on 02 Sep 2009, 10:07

Sr. Sales Rep

My 2nd Blackberry. I experienced signal difficulties with 2 seperate phones as well as dropped calls. I din't have this experience
with my first Blackberry. I felt this was a step up with the newer technology, but am dissapointed. Five people in my office
purchased the 9630 with a month and 4 have replaced them with a different Blackberry model.

Pros

Cons

• Signal strength was major issue
  • Key board smalll for my hand

asears08
posted on 29 Aug 2009, 13:21 (Posts: 24; Member since: 16 Jun 2009)

First Blackberry

This is my first blackberry so going into it I didnt really know what to expect.  Needless to say, I love it.  It does everything I need it to.  I was considering a palm pre but I am somewhat over the whole touch screen craze so I just wanted something that was easy to use but still robust feature wise.
Since almost anything I would want to say has already been said, I will just say that if you are considering this phone, just do it.  You will love it.
My phone hasnt had any of the trackball issues that I had read about, RIM seems to have ironed out the problem.  As far as the loose battery door issue on the sprint model, it is nowhere near what people make it out to be.  It could hardly even be considered an issue.

Pros

Cons

• lack of threaded text (not really a con, it is coming in the 5.0 OS update)

cougarcrossing
posted on 28 Aug 2009, 21:02

Best phone I've used

For those of you that prefer the solid feel of a trackball and keyboard and a crisp, responsive operating system, there really is no comparison.  Blackberry finally has a phone for more than just business use.
While the Iphone is highly configurable and incredibly supported with applications, I always found it slow and bulky. I am somewhat frenetic and send out a lot of correspondence on my phone.  I almost purchased a palm PRE after trying out my daughter's phone.  It is one of the first touch screen, smartphones that might keep up with me.  But the blackberry keyboard fits my hands well.  Blackberry still offers a superior work messaging platform.  No touch screen to worry about scratching. And I prefer a trackball.
This blackberry finally offers up a lot of minor details that make for a pleasant user experience that you used to have to customize to use.  SMS messages are threaded.  Mispellings are underligned as I type.  There is a bedside mode for those of us that use our phones as a clock.  It offers to switch to handset when a call comes so even though I may be connected to my earbud if I don't have it in my ear I can readily answer. The mute is available in a variety of menus as a toggle so it is easy to swap in and out.   Mute and speaker are available on the keyobard.  Locking the handset is no longer a two step procedure but a dedicated...

Pros

• Responsive trackball, keyboard, OS
  • Quality camera and screen
  • Unparalleled business traveler platform
  • For those that don't like to wait

Cons

• No wi-fi support (yet)
  • Larger footprint

posted on 24 Aug 2009, 11:55

Nice Resolution, good features. I have had to replace 2 so far becasue the ear bud jack will not allow me to put one in. Keyboard could be just a little bigger.

Pros

• Nice Resolution, good features.

Cons

• I have had to replace 2 so far becasue the ear bud jack will not allow me to put one in. Keyboard could be just a little bigger.

posted on 22 Aug 2009, 01:34

Great device.  Had it for a month or so now and I couldn't be happier.

Pros

• keyboard
  • screen resolution
  • push email
  • great call quality
  • browser

Cons

• battery door wiggles just a bit.

posted on 18 Aug 2009, 18:17

This phone is unreal! I am a modrate to heavy user and have had nothing but an excellent experience!  From battery life to keyboard to internet browing.  Everything is here to please.  I am not a big fan of WIFI so that wasnt even an issue for me!  Sprint is doing what every carrier should do, offer a plan that make sense!  I have three berry's running on my plan and still I am crushing ATT or Verizon on monthly cost!  Not to mention wonderful coverage.  I recommend getting this device, business user or not......completely awesome!

Pros

• Everything!

Cons

• Weird charging port placement, buy a cradle!

jem_duke
posted on 15 Aug 2009, 10:23

I love this phone!

I am used to having a Sanyo phone! I used it for quite a long time, and debated on whether or not to get this phone or the Sanyo PRO-2700. Fortunately, it took a while for it to come out, so I got a Palm Pro in March. I had the Pro for 4 months then thought about using my upgrade. The only thing I miss from the Palm Pro is the option to use touch screen or the keyboard (I like to have options!!) However, I LOVE this phone. I generally like phones when they feel like they are made of something sturdy, and don't feel and appear to be cheap. If I can see metal or it appears to have some kind of metal base, it's a plus! I can also appreciate the battery life. I have seen some reviews that say the battery life isn't good, but I would have to say I disagree. I love all the applications that are made specifically for Blackberry. It is a sleek, small phone, not wide and gaudy like some phones that have the qwerty keybad. I was worried about the spacing, but I can text pretty quickly without any trouble and I have big fingers. They Blackberry OS is nice as well. I also like being able to access Microsoft. I am a student, so that's important to be able to use it on the go. I didn't think I would, but I have. The charger location doesn't bother me, as I don't leave it in the case when I am charging. Simple fix is to take it out of the case.

Pros

• Battery-Life
  • Sleek
  • Sturdy material
  • Qwerty key-board
  • Applications
  • Blackberry OS is quick for a 3G phone
  • Mobile Microsoft
  • Blackberry e-mail
  • Ease of use

Cons

• Needs some variety in color, but this is only for show.
  • I miss the option of Qwerty keyboard or touch screen keyboard.
  • Not a big fan of the GPS... but that could be the network and not the phone!

rockstar0323
posted on 06 Aug 2009, 20:11

Best Blackberry I have ever used

I've had many blackberrys and this one is so far my favorite.
So far I have owned: 6510 - Nextel 7510 - Nextel 7100i - Nextel 8130 Pearl - Sprint 8330 Curve - Sprint 8830 WE - Verizon 9530 Storm - Verizon 9630 Tour - Verizon
I've also had hands on with the Bold and 8900.
This one is perfect. I havent had any of the issues other people have had. Call quality is great, trackball works smoothly, and my battery door is snug. I love the keyboard and size of the phone. Im ver comfortable typing long emails on it which i do a few times a day. I could care less about it not having wifi not a deal breaker for me since i always have my laptop on me. It does take a while to boot up but like ive said ive owned plenty of berrys so im used to it. if you are on verizon and need a pda with the best email out there get this phone and hey if you get a bad one take it back and swap it out till you get one you like.

Pros

• keyboard
  • speed
  • screen
  • device is absolutely stunning
  • Best Blackberry ever on Verizon, nuff said

Buy This Phone