Motorola W385 User Reviews

hltechie
posted on 18 Oct 2011, 12:08 (Posts: 128; Member since: 08 May 2009)

Average phone

hltechie has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This was the first phone I ever owned so I feel obligated to write a review. As a phone, it is a great phone... and that's about it. Txting was a bit of a pain. Yup that's really all I can say. If you are looking for a simple phone to just make calls on I'd say this is the phone for you.

Camera 1/10 The model I had did not have a camera

Pros

• great phone to make calls with

Cons

• no camera
  • hard to txt on

Seven11
posted on 05 Jul 2010, 22:17

W385

Alright so this was my very first phone and it is good for only basic calling and taking pictures
but with this phone it is impossible to send textmessages! it might just be because you have the regular keyboard and not the qwerty but either way.
I dislike this phone for several reasons,
the numbers on the phone are rather close together and are hard to access with large fingers
the small screen only displays time.
but some pros about this phone are,
there are several styles of themes you can have your phone
the camera is farely good
it is a great starter phone
and it is good for calling.

Pros

• Multiple Themes
  • Durable

Cons

• Bad Texting
  • Small Screen

Devon
posted on 29 May 2010, 09:19

I love this phone

I have this phone for 2 years now, and I LOVE IT.  You can get reception anywhere, and trust me, I travel, and I could get it anywhere.   It's a good size to fit in your pocket, it's simple, it doesn't take great pictures, but it will hold alot of them!!!   I've dropped mine, and it just keeps on going.  If this one ever goes and I need to get another one, i will get the same phone again!!!

Pros

• reception

Cons

• doesn't take good pictures

Gigi
posted on 17 Mar 2010, 08:26

Problems after problems

I only use this phone for basic calling and emergencies.  While it does that well, it has some major problems power.It constantly has to be recharged, even after a day or so with no calls in or out.  It shuts itself off so that when I get incoming calls, it immediately goes to voicmail and doesn't ring.  I have missed some very important calls and ready to replace this phone.  I have brought it to service twice and they have not fixed either problem.Don't bother with this phone.

Pros

• Good size and ok for basic calls, good service on calls

Cons

• shuts itself off
  • drains battery immensely
  • ring not loud enough

posted on 25 Oct 2009, 12:12

stay away!!!

This phones sucks!!I use a phone for phone use only and this model is terrible, the worst phone by motorola that I have ever seen.I never write reviews but I thought to warn anyone who was going to buy this phone-DONT BOTHER!!I have a business and I need to be contacted in the event of an emergency and this phone has failed me more than 12 times.It hangs and needs to be reset by pulling out the battery and then putting back in (hard reset) the problem is that it hangs on its own and there is no way to tell except if you are going to use it.Shame on you Motorola for coming out with this piece of garbage.  STAY AWAY FROM THIS PHONE!!!!-IT's ***!SINCERELY

Pros

• reception is not terrible
  • somewhat rugged

Cons

• to big as a phone
  • hangs constantly
  • slow to disconnect
  • slow to dial
  • always always pausing
  • hangs constantly
  • if calling voice automated #s you must hit the # of choice twice
  • second line requiers a second hit of the call button to transfer back and forth

Phone User
posted on 10 Oct 2009, 17:57

The Worst:(

I've had this phone since the beginning of June,and it's awful. Sometimes when I open my phone,it goes blank and freezes. Also,when I try and text the word "ok..." it freezes,and the camera's bad. On the up side,it's a good phone to learn to text on, and it's really hard to break.

Pros

• Hard to bust, size.

Cons

• Everything else

posted on 02 Sep 2009, 18:40

Let me just say this is the worst phone, have had mine for over a year and it just died won't turn on, won't accept the charger nothing. Had to get a new one. Also I kept having to take the battery out because it kept freezing when it still worked. HORRIBLE PHONE STAY AWAY.

Pros

• Small

Cons

• EVERYTHING ELSE.

imacg32007
posted on 28 Jul 2009, 16:06 (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Jun 2009)

i have used this phone a few times. it is small and not very slim and kinda heavy. the screen is too small and the menu system seems outdated (this phone came out in 2007 btw) the call quality is great and it is easy to txt on. the keys are a weird soft material and feal good. the phone was supposed to be designed like the MOTOKRZR K1M but i dont see it. it takes alright pictures and no videos. it has no mp2 player but has bluetooth. i like it but i would get the twostep or the axle or the u340 or the e1100neo over this.

Too Many Hobbies
posted on 25 Apr 2009, 11:37

Had this phone for 17 months.

I have had this phone for 17 months and really haven't had any problems.  It has good reception, doesn't drop too many calls as I live in a very rule area.  Occasionally it does just run the battery down just sitting and if I will turn it off and back on it will not do that for a while.  Over all it has been a tough phone even though it does not have all the bells and whistles that the young kids are looking for like a great camara; it falls short there but I did buy it to talk on and limited texting. It has been tough enough to hold up to my husband so far!  Only a Nokia has been able to do that so far and unfortunately there were no Nokia's available or we would have purchased another Nokia for reception and exceptional durablility!

Pros

• RECEPTION
  • PRETTY TOUGH
  • USER FRIENDLY

Cons

• Camara
  • RINGTONES!
  • NOTHING FANCY. ;)

Starr
posted on 07 Feb 2009, 17:23

Not bad, but old!

I have had this phone since a little while afterit came out. Its been good... for a free phone (was free when i got it). I am actually pretty happy with it, but i am what some would call a "heavy user" on phones... i wear them out pretty fast with my texting, and other usage. Mine is worn out, and I really want a new phone because...
-Well, when i am texting and i have maybe 2 our of 4 bars of battery life, the screen goes very bright (i don't keep it on the brightest setting) and then it freezes. this is very frustrating.
- Battery life isn't so great after it wears out. I can usually get 200 messages after a full night's charge, but some days, it will just start dying while sitting in my pocket
-Its a tough phone, but kinda ugly... The rubber doesn't scratch easily... it takes ALOT to hurt it! but the front shiny part with the display gets dirty very very easily. Mine is scratched up, and there are stains that will not come off even with rubbing alcohol.
-The texting could be faster... However its very good to LEARN how to text... this is the phone i learned how to text on, and now... JEEZE I'M FAST! :)
-Its a good first phone, but dont have high expectations because it isn't good for much more than the basics.
-The camera... I want a better one. Especially since this one doesn't have a flash.

Pros

• -Easy to Lock... once you figure it out :)
  • -Good for a first phone
  • -Good to learn how to text
  • -personally, I think its a good size, and buttons are good... However mine are worn out from texting+long nails.
  • -TOUGH!
  • -pretty good memory storage
  • -Overall, not the best, but okay.

Cons

• -texting problems
  • -Battery life is low...!
  • -Only holds about 110 messages in inbox (however i'm pretty sure the sent box can go very high... never really tried it though)
  • -gone through three chargers, because each one gets worn out so fast, and doesn't stay in
  • -ugly
  • -front shiny part is very easily scratched
  • -less than desirable camera

dtungate
posted on 06 Feb 2009, 11:44 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Feb 2009)

Pretty Good

This phone is pretty good. Its a upgrade from the V323I which sucks. I don't like the way the buttons feel on this phone. There is nothing really special to be about this phone, since I've had a Motorola before. It would be great for people that are just using it to call.
One of my friends dropped this phone down their toilet somehow, don't ask me how. And they let it dry out and it still worked! Pretty good phone for them.

Bob Saunders
posted on 04 Feb 2009, 22:11

Beastly

durable...nuff said. no matter how many times u drop it it stays up.

Pros

• this phone is beast

Cole
posted on 23 Dec 2008, 15:07

OK basic phone with problems

I have used this phone for 4 months. It is a good sturdy basic phone, nothing fancy. A couple of problems---ring tones come only from the back (non-display) side of the phone, so if you lay the phone with the display up, you'll probably not hear your incoming calls, especially if it is on a soft surface. Also, this phone is NOT compatible with the Jawbone2 Bluetooth. I learned this the hard way after ordering the Jawbone. It linked fine but constantly disconnected any incoming call. After three calls and three hours of Jawbone tech support, the tech finally looked at the Jawbone2 specs and told me that the two were not compatible. So---Buyer Beware, this is a Bluetooth ver.1.1 with some compatiblity issues....

Pros

• Battery life, sturdiness, sound quality

Cons

• Ringer problems, Bluetooth compatibility problems

James and Simon
posted on 21 Dec 2008, 16:09

Good's and the Bad

We've both had this phone for about a year. It's a good durable that is perfect for a person that needs to do basic things. like texting and calling. the VGA camera sucks. the camera is worse than basic. Everything is blurry. its like hell when you zoom in all the way. but, it's a very durable phone. with the rubber cofruimposite outer layer. and thick body. this phone did stand up to 3 minutes in water filled with chlorlye. the front screen is now dead cause of that. the camera is very unreliable. this a very good phone for the basic user. but, a box is worth more this phone. i would rather prefer an apple fruit. overall, its a piece of shit.

Pros

• its a phone

Cons

• We've both had this phone for about a year. It's a good durable that is perfect for a person that needs to do basic things. like texting and calling. the VGA camera sucks. the camera is worse than basic. Everything is blurry. its like hell when you zoom in all the way. but,

phone user
posted on 13 Dec 2008, 23:26

eh

Had the phone for about 8 months and am running into ALOT of problems.  It shows full battery, then just dies.  Sometimes I have to charge the phone everyday, sometimes once every three days or so.  I even returned it and they gave me a new battery saying sometimes the battery is just bad, but it still does this.  It is slow.  And it freezes all the time.  When it freezes I take the battery out, replace it, and the phone shows nothing but a static screen.  I have to keep taking the battery out and replacing it until i do finally get it to turn back on.  Service is so-so.  The phone is small and sleek, but the screen is even smaller.  Basic phone, all it does is make calls and text, thats what I originally wanted it to do.

Pros

• The black covering is unique, easy to use when it works

Cons

• Freezes, slow, battery life, screen is small

BKwg
posted on 09 Oct 2008, 14:48

So far, so good

I just received the phone yesterday as part of a renewed 2-year contract. I wanted to replace my phone with something that is sturdy and basic. I did a fair amount of research on phone arena and settled on this phone.
So far, it has met its expectations. The phone is a little thicker than I thought (not much different from my LG8300), the screen is a little smaller than I imagined, but I like the rubber keys.
Sound seems fine - don't know if it's my imagination but the voice seems kind of electronic. The vibrate is definitely softer than my last phone, but I tend to wake easily with little sound, so it's not a problem really. Reception where I am sucks already so it's hard for me to judge. I will post again if it turns out to be really bad.
Phone has met my expectations in terms of general look, utility, price.

Pros

• Love the mirror in front - accessible reflection
  • Rubber keys
  • Overall sleek look

Cons

• Small screen
  • Thicker than expected

Geoff in TO
posted on 04 Oct 2008, 10:45

Stop Complaining

I hate people that give phones a bad review just because they don't have features they want, listen buy a phone with those features then review it, this phone is simply made to function as a phone, nothing more nothing less, i have a camera and an mp3 player i don't need a phone for that which is why i bought this simple nice looking phone. So far so good. If I have one complaint its the texting is a little slow, but not enought to make me hate the phone. So buy this one if you want a phone, if you want more than that look elsewhere

Chip Porter
posted on 16 Jul 2008, 15:07

Can't See

There was a lot to like about this phone. Sound quality was great, signal quality was good, texting was easy...the problem is reading the screens. The screen on the cover is worthless. The size of text it uses is infintesimal. I thought that would be ok, as I would set the phone to only answer after I hit a key. That way, I could open up the clamshell and read the larger screen to see who the caller was before I answered. NO GOOD. The text on the big screen is just as small as the text on the small screen. Someone really screwed up programming this feature.

One other feature that I didn't like, was the vibe then ring feature. Why can't they just make it to vibe and ring like every other manufacturer?

Eric
posted on 30 Jun 2008, 21:46

Awesome

My mom has this phone, and it is perfect for her. All she needs it for is to make calls to and from home to tell us shes on her way and to check in, and this is the phone for anyone looking for a basic, nice looking phone.

GEO
posted on 22 Apr 2008, 13:47

2.8

BASIC-VANILLA ICE CREAM PHONE

If you are searching for a basic phone, it could be a fine choice. Certainly you will go unnoticed because it is an unflavored ligth vanilla ice cream cell phone.

PROS: INEXPENSIVE-DO NOT PAY - IT IS FREE WITH PLAN - CERTAINLY NOT ATTRACTIVE FOR THIEVES...
CONS: LITTLE HARD TO READ FRONT DISPLAY-I WONDER WHY MOTOROLA DESIGNERS CREATED SUCH TINY DISPLAY. CAMERA RESOLUTION IS BAD-BAD

cbodie71
posted on 16 Apr 2008, 21:53

Totally agree! Great phone.

I've only had my phone for a couple of days but am extremely happy with it's quality and features. However, I have the same question as Jeff. How do you get the external view to appear sideways, left or right, and not the time stacked vertically in large numbers with signal and battery strenth below?

Jeff
posted on 22 Mar 2008, 20:18

I like the phone so far, But I have a dumb question How do I get the display ( external time to read left to right) not numbers stacked on top of each other????? It bothers me?? and the phone ( W385's ) I see photo's of on the net have them going to right way.... HELP

Elvis
posted on 13 Mar 2008, 23:51

Huh... How 'Bout That

I'm in indoor construction and ruined my new LG Shine flip in 2 weeks - it dented like mad - and cried out for my Moto V710 again. Then when I went in for a new phone I was recommended the W385 because it could take a little abuse and has a membrane keypad to keep out dust etc. and I didn't need to have an MP3 or high quality camera because I already have a good MP3 player and a digital camera so here it was... the W385.

Pros for me; flip for screen protection, easy to use, fairly simple set-up, cheap price, rubberized finish, camera, SPEAKERPHONE!!!!!

Cons for me; rings not quite loud enough.

PhonePro
posted on 14 Feb 2008, 12:57

The Pro says: Yes to the w385

For the price, this phone delivers more than the competitors. Great RF rating (good reception), good battery life, coated finish and strudy. You would be hard pressed to find a camera and Bluetooth phone for the low price.

Barbara OBrien
posted on 03 Feb 2008, 16:44

great phone

I have had this phone for 3 mos now with Metro pcs, it realy is a great phone, i only have a problem with the batry life,it is super short ,like 2 hrs. but the look and features offer with this phone and from reading all the reviews, i would consider another one in the future.