Motorola Q CDMA User Reviews

Sammi
posted on 22 Mar 2008, 15:34

Great phone. Great value.

I've had my Q for a year now and have had very few issues with it. I owned a Blackberry prior and this has been MUCH better all around. More user friendly, better reception, more stylish design etc. I went through 4 Blackberry's in 6 months. My Q has been beaten, bruised and even dropped in my cats water dish and is still doing fine. I absolutely love the blue backlight and Microsoft OS makes the phone much easier to navigate although a bit slow. My only minor complaints are the occassional random shut downs (which was happening prior to the above abuse), dropped calls, and ease of opening email attachments. By far the worst thing about the phone is the battery life. Definitely upgrade- it is worth the added phone size.

b0neZ
posted on 17 Sep 2007, 01:07

Not too bad...

Had my Black Q for a few days now.... traded up from an LG 8300. So far, it's as expected for a smartphone with MS Mobile 5. Not all the apps that a PPC would have, but it's just right for my needs. I can text easily, connect to the internet (that's how I'm reading and posting on this site now, using the phone as a tethered modem at broadband speeds),and so far the call quality is excellent.
Basically, if you want PPC features, you need to buy one.
Must keep one thing in mind though. Every now and again you have to check the Task Manager and kill off the apps that aren't being used, as those can pile up quickly and slow the thing way way down. I had that problem a couple of years ago with a PPC that I had through work, so I knew what to expect. It's not Motorola's issue, that's all on MS.
I look forward to the 3rd party apps that I can safely play with on here.
Got to wonder one thing... what would happen if a person put Knoppix on a Q? I think I'll wait to aquire another phone before I turn this one into a brick just to do an experiment, IF it's even possible.

paul
posted on 19 Jul 2007, 13:17

Motorola Q after 1+ year of use

I like my Q. It works great as a phone. No echoes, I get a signal 98% of the time. I may get a dropped call once or twice every month. Great sound quality when on the phone.

I love being able to install 3rd party apps.
I use my Q a lot to watch movies while in line at the store or when I have time to kill. I don't really listen to MP3s much on it, but I have a few on it. I use a 1gb MicroSD which is sufficient for my needs. The BSE skin has protected it over the past year. I've dropped it a few times with no malfunctioning results. It's a great Smartphone for the price.

Although... I wish they redesigned the shape of the buttons. I wish I could turn off the data transfer & voice thingy as I never use it. I don't use the internet on it either. Can't afford it. And last but not least, Windows does become rather slow at times. Nothing a restart of the phone won't solve.

So all in all, not a bad smart phone.

Gene
posted on 14 Jul 2007, 11:54

2.8

Motorola Q terrible investment

Absolutely sick about the investment in a Motorola Q after 5 weeks of use. Buttons are so sensitive that it can't be put in your pocket without constantly dialing out or activating some feature like Internet use. Same problem exists with their leather, plastic faced case that totally defeats the slim design option when you wrap it in a cheesy leather catchers mit. Nothing intuitive about the design or operation. Prepare to completely relearn how you use a phone and the Internet. Internet use without a stylist is clunky and a waste of time. You have to tab everywhere. Try that on your regular PC for a few minutes and see how frustrating it can be. Websites aren't designed to be tab friendly. I would not recommend the Motorola Q to anybody as it's too full of bugs and design flaws to be any use or value. Don't waste your money.

Jason
posted on 26 Apr 2007, 09:31

Satisfied

In my opinion YOU DO get what you pay for. Most of the people that are complaining probably thought they were getting a cheap PALM TREO or BLACKBURY. It is what it is, a smart phone, which is a step between. All I can say is that so far after a month, I am still satisfied. If you wanted more bang for your bucks, spend more bucks!

BBOY
posted on 13 Apr 2007, 20:02

How would you know?????

The phone just came out this week for ampd. How would these people know that it is going to respond the same way as verizon's version??????? I wanted to see some real reviews and ended up getting bone heads response to a phone that jsut came out and they are already talking crap/ :(

guy guata
posted on 25 Mar 2007, 02:22

wow!

it is very good. the smartphone is wow. i love it smart phone and its the best.
it has very good degin and it's woooooooww.
i love it.
very good sound Quality.

Hans
posted on 07 Mar 2007, 11:49

Unreliable. Avoid it

I'm on my third Q. My sister is on her fifth. These things just don't work well.

I've experienced lots of auto-poweroffs (with full battery), crashes, freezes, and now my latest phone has decided it never wants to take a charge.

I've also found the keys are too hard and hurt your thumbs after a while.

VertigoInc.
posted on 20 Feb 2007, 22:43

3.8

You get what you pay for, for the Motorola Q. I have burned through 4 of these devices all with the latest software including the new "Black" Q that is up to date. Every time, they would either freeze, lock, or in an idle state, not power back on.

Motorola knew about the bugs in the motorola Q, which is why they released a new patch on there website to prevent any warranty replacements, which really does nothing.

As a phone... it works, camera, well its a 1.3 nothing special nothing great. Flash is annoying, you have to manually turn on and off which wouldn't be so bad except the phone has so much lag to it that I could walk to the receiver of my call and have the conversation there.

The motorola Q is insanely slow, you dial a number and half the time it will miss the first few digits, just great if its a 911 emergency call, im sure that burning fire will wait those extra seconds.

The design of the phone, is a classic razr scheme, thin, which is nice, durable yea its true. I dropped mine while i was rushing to get into my call on the driveway and it still rang etc.

If you have a black Q the body is rubberized not to a great extent but enough that if your trying to get it in your pocket, you will have to use both hands to get it all the way in. However I personally like it only because it doesn't slip, and no one can pick pocket etc.

Its a smartphone, it doesn't have word, it doesn't have excel, it doesn't have anything else a normal phone with a qwerty keyboard would have....

Bob
posted on 25 Aug 2006, 19:26

Motorola Q

I could not open .LTR email attachments. I believe these are text files that were created in DOS. Anyway, after hours and hours of wrestling with it, trying third party apps, and hours on the phone with Motorola support there was no luck. Additionally, getting around within the mobile OS was clugy. I could not save even the .DOC or .PDF attachments to a folder. The Verizon tech said he thinks there will be a software update to include pocket Windows and Excel. I'd like to see if that helps.

Nate
posted on 23 Jul 2006, 18:47

LAWL

This is to the last person that had posted. you can put a vibrate then ring function. You go to profiles, Normal, menu--->edit, then ring type. You didn't have to return it, you can do what you said.

RJ
posted on 09 Jul 2006, 10:33

CEO

I had to take this phone back to Verizon - to exchange it. It would freeze up - the only way to un-freeze it was to unplug the battery - and replug back in.
Apparently they are getting more than a fair share of these phones back. The new one I have works good - so far-just one week.

Russell Trombone
posted on 16 Jun 2006, 14:31

Vibrate then Ring function extinct in Motorola phones

The vibrate then ring function is not available in Motorola phones. I bought the Q and had to take it back. Other than that small function, it was a great phone. Please change this Motorola.