Motorola DROID RAZR M User Reviews

Internet9.9/10
Call quality9.5/10
Battery9.3/10

dafoeman
posted on 09 May 2014, 09:57 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 May 2014)

Personally: Great Phone!

dafoeman has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone is really good for what it might appear. Perhaps I got a 'super' edition, but from drops, it hasn't broken. However, when I drop it I try to catch it, or break the fall speed. Results after 8+ drops is a couple of VERY small marks and grooves on the phone itself, with no screen damage! I would recommend this phone for portability, strengths via hardware & software, and build quality.

Reception 9/10 I'm in an area with slightly limited reception sometimes. I have 4G most of the time however.
UI speed 9/10 I more-a-less put it under constant stress. It can slow down with a lot of background processes running.
Text input 9/10 Again w/ background processes, the speed can completely die out when typing. BUT if you type without it responding, once it recovers it remembers any input completely.
Display 10/10 Despite the small screen, it still looks very good.
Battery 9/10 ALL BACKGROUND PROCESSES! So this is more a less my fault. It holds up very well if you manage the usage.

Pros

• Powerful
  • Sleek
  • Great Battery

Cons

• Locks up w/ many background processes

twiztid_gamer
posted on 30 Oct 2013, 11:55 (Posts: 0; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)

Droid RAZR M

twiztid_gamer has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I've been using smart phones since before Android existed starting with 3 blackberry devices then moved into android with HTC, LG & Samsung but Motorola & the Droid RAZR M at this point are by far my favorite devices

sativan
posted on 29 Jul 2013, 00:01 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)

RAZR M (compared to iPhone 5)

sativan has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I had an iPhone 5 and switched to this after a month. I prefer the RAZR M and will compare them in this review.
Build Quality- Both phones have high build quality, but the razr's materials are more resistant to drops, scratches, and water; and it feels slightly more solid.
Call Quality- Both phones have noise cancellation, but I found better sounding calls and better reception on the droid, probably because of motorola's history in the radio industry.
Hardware- Both phones have similar specs, but the Droids are better. However, the iPhone uses the hardware more efficiently so it is a tie.
Battery- By far goes to the RAZR thanks to the larger size and better management. Gets through the day easily.
Display- The RAZR's is larger and is in 16:9 aspact ratio which makes it good for videos and browsing. The iPhone's is higher definition. I prefer the iPhone's, but this changes on your preference of size or definition.
Camera- Goes to the iPhone, but not by too much. The RAZR is still competative.
Overall- RAZR by far. The camera and display are sad casualties for the Motorola, but they do not overshadow the excellent battery, overall quality, and (most importantly) the price ($200 cheaper). The Driod also gives more freedom in the UI and supports removable memory.

Build quality 10/10 Amazing materials, attention to detail, and solid feel. Also waterproof

• Overall Quality and Durability
  • Hardware

Cons

• Display (ppi)
  • Battery could be better (still lasts the whole day)
  • Edge to edge display can interfere with touching sides of screen with a case
  • Camera is good, but not iPhone level

tx2ma
posted on 10 Jul 2013, 18:20 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)

Excellent hardware, so-so software

tx2ma has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've had this phone for a few months. VZW sent me this to replace my Incredible 4G that was a lemon, which has/had almost identical specs. So it's hard for me not to compare the two.
The Motorola's hardware is hands down excellent, with a sturdy solid build. As a phone, I've had no issues with reception or call clarity - it's what a phone should be. And the overall form factor is perfect - not too big, not too small - for those of us who don't want a phablet. Battery life is absolutely amazing! I can get a day and a half on a charge unless I'm making a lot of voice calls - they seem to drain the battery faster than anything else.
Now while the Razr M 's hardware is great, I find the sofware/ "Motoblur" interface to be mediocre. I mean, there's no music player pre-installed? That screams cheap. You can't access the weather unless you want to have the circles widget on your screen. And the social networking integration is no where near what HTC has done.
I am also not thrilled with the camera. It takes grainy pics - really bad in low light - and it doesn't have many settings to boot. And finally, the display. Size-wise, it's perfect and qHD is very nice, but for some reason the combination of AMOLED and qHD makes some fonts and graphics look jagged. The Incredible 4G had the same resolution screen, except it was LCD, and it was a lot better in that regard.
So overall, the phone is good but it leaves me wanting more from the software.

Multimedia 5/10 No media/music player pre-installed!?
Camera 5/10 Camera is lacking. Pics are grainy, low light shots are bad, and there aren't enough settings to try and fix it.
UI speed 7/10 Fast with the occasional heart attack. For example, press the volume key up one notch and it goes all the way to the top volume.
Display 8/10 Perfect size display, but not sure about the qHD / AMOLED combo
Battery 10/10 Outstanding battery life.

Pros

• Solid build
  • Form factor

• Motoblur UI/skin

tx2ma alternatives:

scissorhands97
posted on 28 Jul 2013, 14:00

meh.

scissorhands97 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

i love the phone! fast processor, bright vibrant screen, long battery life, and fast 4G LTE speeds! my only problems is the screen shake ever since i upgraded to 4.1.2 JB. it can lag some times, i cant flash back to ICS since 4.1.2 JB has some soft of flash lock, but i can flash custom roms, but i cant flash it to 4.2 or 4.1.1 (custom rom) because of the camera (im a photo fanatic). after the update i started have problems with the wifi but that solve itself after half and hour. overall the phone is pretty smooth! its a keeper! thank you Motorola!

P.S. MOTOROLA YOU NEED TO INSTALL 4.2.2 JELLYBEAN ON YOUR RAZR'S ALREADY! ITS BEEN FOREVER! YOU NEED TO STOP LAGGING. thank you :D

UI speed 5/10 has a few bugs and lags sometimes

Pros

• 4G LTE
  • super fast
  • dual-core processor
  • GREAT CAMERA
  • 1.5 gigahertz
  • screen
  • compact
  • water proof

Cons

• 8GB of memory
  • 4.2 JB need to be installed ALREADY!
  • screen stutter
  • sometimes when the screen stutters, the screen turns into multiple colors
  • slowed down after update.

DuffBrew85
posted on 30 May 2013, 11:39 (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 May 2013)

Best phone I've ever owned

DuffBrew85 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

It is everything I want in a phone. Upgrade the camera and it would be perfect. The screen looks great and is a perfect size for my hand. It's light, yet built tough. I've dropped it a few times (2-4 feet) with no harm done. No scratches to be seen (I don't use a cover or screen protecter) Love this phone. Highly recommended and cheap

• Simplicity

Cons

• Lack of HDMI out

sabres0809
posted on 07 Feb 2013, 15:01 (Posts: 13; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)

the best phone on the market

sabres0809 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've had this phone for a while now and I gotta say im amazed at how awesome it still is. Its perfect for everyday usage, the battery last the entire day, and it has a bog screen with a besseless display. I got it for 999 cents! Totally wort he the dollar for the high end specs!

o0Exia0o
posted on 17 May 2013, 23:21 (Posts: 428; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)

Not the holy grail, but nothing has yet to come closer!

o0Exia0o has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had this phone since October 2012. Since then I have been pleased with the phone. There are a couple of areas that the phone could be upgraded to make it the best phone ever. The first is the screen. Dont get me wrong the Qhd screen is not by any means the worst Ive seen on a phone but if motorola had gone with a full HD 720p screen at this size or a little larger the that would have made it better. Second is the camera, again it is not the worst I have seen but not the best. The third and final problem with the phone is the battery. You would thank that with the large batteries that have been put in to the maxx line up then they would have been able to get somthing a little bigger in to the phone. Dont get me wrong I still get 2-2.5 days off of a charge.

Over all the phone is a great phone, but as with any great phone there are always room for improvement. Bottom line if you need a great phone at a phenomenal price then this is a phone that you should not miss.

Pros

• Build quality
  • Reception
  • Call quality
  • UI speed

Cons

• QHD display not 720p
  • Battery could be better

o0Exia0o alternatives:

v2497
posted on 28 Jun 2013, 19:56 (Posts: 13; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)

pretty good.

v2497 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

this is my 2nd one because the first one was a lemon and i just got this one for free and its brand new! i love it! it cant get any better! i just wish it had 16 GB's inside instead of "8" GB's which is actually 4.5 GB's. its kinda of sucks but you get used to it, so its not biggie! :D

Camera 10/10 the camera is so-so but ive fixed it so its good now!
Battery 10/10 the battery is decent

Pros

• display
  • super fast
  • fast 4G LTE speeds
  • good 8 megapixel camera!
  • the price for i
  • vibrant screen
  • 1.5 GHZ snapdragon S4 pro, krait processor
  • has 1 GB of RAM
  • full screen phone

Cons

• 4.5 GB of memory
  • no HD display
  • front camera isn't that good
  • screen glitch after 4.1.2 update :c

v2497 alternatives:

shnibz
posted on 24 Dec 2012, 09:33 (Posts: 161; Member since: 18 Sep 2011)

the Razr M is the best deal in the Smartphone world right now, hands down

shnibz has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I am coming from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I don't miss ANYTHING about that phone! Not even 720p because the Razr M screen can hold its own. The Build quality of this phone is far superior to any flimsy plastic hand set offered by Samsung and with the 4.3 inch screen and it not being 720p it is far less battery and processor hungry. It is also the most comfortable phone to hold I have ever owned and iam on my 6th smart phone. It is the perfect size. I don't know what else to say about this great phone except that anyone who buys it will not be disappointed at all

Pros

• screen may be only Qhd but its beautiful. Amazing build quality, VERY fast , Perfect size

Cons

• absolutely none

Evansakellos
posted on 28 Nov 2012, 08:43 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)

Motorola RAZR M - Great Phone!

Evansakellos has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I just picked up the new RAZR M phone at my local Verizon store, to replace my Droid Incredible. I needed a global phone since I'm doing more international travel and I was looking for a device with a larger screen than my Incredible had. I'm still learning the operational structure of the RAZR, but I have to say that I'm very impressed with the overall function, construction and feel of this phone.
The screen is just the right size to use for photos, texting and it appears to have a very high resolution. Call quality is very good and I find the speakers to be ideal from a sound perspective. The device appears to be very fast - opening menus, various screens and surfing the internet.
The most pleasant surprise is the battery life of this phone. I'm finding that I can get two full days of normal use before having to recharge the device. My Incredible lasted a day and I was forever looking for a plug to change the phone.
Before I purchased the RAZR-M, I was considering the new HTC Windows phone, but I decided on the Android device as I was already familiar with this operating software. Based on my limited use to date, I feel confident in recommending the Motorola RAZR-M to anyone who needs a current Android phone that is the perfect size for everyday use. A great phone and a keeper.

Build quality 10/10 Solid construction with a comfortable feel in the hand.

Pros

• Solid construction
  • Responsive operation
  • Sharp screen
  • Ideal size
  • Easy to use interface
  • Superior battery life

Belle
posted on 30 Oct 2012, 10:49 (Posts: 0; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)

Razr M is close to Holy Grail of Phones

Belle has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Yeah, I know, that sounds crazy - but lets look at the facts about the phone. Here are some side by side comparisons with the almighty iPhone 5:

It has the same form-factor as the iPhone 5, but with a larger screen (4.3" vs 4.0"), water resistant nano-protected body (not available on iPhone 5) significantly better battery life (2000 mAh vs 1440 mAh), capability of voice and data simultaneously (not available on Verizon iPhone 5), micro SD expandable storage (not available on iPhone 5), Motorola Smart Actions to maximize battery life and set phone rules , drive safe mode, work mode, home mode, etc. (not available on iPhone 5), tons of useful widgets for customized home screens with valuable utility (not available on boring iPhone 5 interface), and last but certainly not least - GOOGLE MAPS NAVIGATION!!!

I use Google Maps all the time, and the iPhone 5 doesn't come with Google Maps GPS Navigation! I was able to use my Razr M's Google Maps GPS to navigate my way home from a business trip, WHILE talking on the phone with a client, WHILE looking up data on the internet, and all of that WHILE Motorola Smart Actions Drive Mode was on to make sure it was all done SAFELY. This never would have happened with an iPhone 5.

The list goes on, but I'm sure by now you want to know why I called this phone CLOSE to the Holy Grail of Phones. Its true, its not the Holy Grail of phones, but that's not Motorola's fault. You see, there are only 3 things that this phone is lacking to make it...

Build quality 10/10 Extremely Solid - no flex in the body whatsoever
Camera 9/10 Takes excellent pictures as soon as you press the shutter button - it just won't be replacing your home camera (why would it, its a phone?)
Text input 10/10 4.3" screen, excellent auto correct, and swype, makes texting/emailing a breeze
Display 9/10 Excellent display with extremely vivid colors and detail for a phone of this size. Resolution just slightly behind some of the massive phablet phones out there (GSIII, Razr HD, etc)
Battery 10/10 Killer Battery! Lasts full day with heavy, continuous usage with plenty of battery left to spare! 2000 mAh > 1440 mAh in iPhone 5 (~30% more battery life!)

• Android Platform
  • Excellent Battery Life
  • Large Display
  • Small Form-Factor
  • Price
  • Phone & Internet Simultaneously
  • Widgets

CrocadileUT
posted on 19 Oct 2012, 05:51 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Feb 2011)

CrocadileUT has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I really put a lot of research into this phone and upgraded the very day I could, and I was not disappointed. This phone is near perfect in that it has excellent battery life, a big bright display, works great, super fast, and all of this in one of the smallest form factors I've seen. In fact that's what makes it unique, it's the largest display of a phone this size. All this for low price is a win to me. Be warned though, this is not a hack friendly phone, but I'm so pleased with it that I don't plan to mess with it too much unlike my previous Droid 2 which needed to be "corrected"

Build quality 10/10 Feels great to me
Internet 10/10 Aburdly fast load times, I've done serveral comparison tests now and this things is crazy fast with Chrome.
Multimedia 8/10 It's pretty good music playback, but the speaker is too small for this device. The Droid 2 puts it to shame here.
Camera 7/10 Love the app, love the feature like panorama, fast snap times, 8MP, but the quality is still grainy like every Moto camera I've ever used.

Pros

• Great screen
  • Perfect size
  • Resonably priced
  • Build quality
  • Very fast interface

Cons

• Poor camera quality
  • Bloatware, but most of it can be disabled
  • Not hack friendly

hltechie
posted on 01 Jul 2013, 08:24

Updated review: Please read this review on internal memory usage!

hltechie has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

So I am updating my review and really lowering the score for one main issue I failed to see upon first buying the phone: internal memory storage and SD card storage. When I first bought this phone I saw it advertised 8GB of internal storage with an SD card slot that could be upgraded to 32GB of storage. So I thought "Awesome! The internal storage is a bit low for apps but I can install a large SD card and have plenty of space". I bought the phone and turned a blind eye to the storage until I ran out of internal storage and here come the lies from Motorola. I found the phone really only has 4GB or so of usable storage for apps and that's it... I couldn't even use the full 8GB! Then when I went into the settings to move some apps to the SD card I found that the option was not there. You CAN NOT move apps to the SD card on this phone! WTH!? (please keep in mind that yes you can do this but ONLY if the root the phone and void the warranties by Motorola). So thanks Motorola, I am now stuck with a powerful phone with software unable to preform the the simple task of moving apps.

To make things worse... my music storage is linked with Google Play. So when I download music from Google Play to my device, it is also only stored to internal storage (which having a large library fills up the storage quickly). Now the phone does have a built in file manager that does move music, photos, documents, etc. correctly right? Wrong! I moved my music from my internal storage to the SD card and the...

Build quality 9/10 Horrible internal and external file management. Phone does not allow you to use full 8GB of internal memory or allow you to transfer apps to SD card.
Reception 10/10 Verizon's 4G LTE is insanely fast
Multimedia 3/10 Horrible internal and external file management. Phone does not allow you to use full 8GB of internal memory or allow you to transfer music correctly to SD card.
Camera 7/10 Very good camera but the app messed up at one point and corrupted hundreds of photos. Didn't "wow" me with cool features either.
UI speed 8/10 Can be slighly laggy at times when you are running a lot at the same time
Everyday usage 3/10 Based on internal memory usage and file management.
Display 7/10 meh... nothing special
Battery 8/10 Does not really preform as advertised.

• 4G LTE
  • Durable

Cons

• NOT THE ADVERTISED INTERNAL STORAGE
  • CAN NOT MOVE APPS TO SD CARD
  • Becomes laggy over time
  • camera app messed up and needed to reset, lost data
  • Not for power users

doctork21
posted on 15 Oct 2012, 00:40 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)

Razr M - A Comparative Review

doctork21 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I have had the Razr M for just over a month and must say I am thoroughly pleased. As a business professional and parent I rely on my phone for critical communication, multitasking, and up-to-date information to be redily available at my fingertips. With that said, the Razr M meets and exceeds the challenge! I will be reviewing my experience with it and comparing it to the highly touted I-phone 5.

First, the build quality of the Razr M is absolutely rock solid. It has a sleek, contemporary design, yet you don't get the feeling that its so delicate that it will break from a simple mishap that we all ineveitably will have with our phones at some point. How many I-phone owners have had one mishap suddenly reduce their phones into a very expensive paper weight? While I would put some type of protective case on the Razr M, its aluminum frame and Gorilla Glass display help minimize any potential damage.

Next, let's disccuss the overall size of the phone and its display. The phone fits nicely in one's hands. You don't have to have very large hands to fully function the phone for texting, web-browsing, photos and videos or making calling (Yes, phones are still used for that too). While some may desire a "theater" size phone, many just want a phone that balances form and function. The Razr M fits the bill nicely. Its similar in overall frame size to the I-phone 5, but the screen size is larger. (4.3" v. 4.0") This lends itself to less texting errors, a display that hits the "sweet spot"...

Build quality 10/10 Rock Solid Build - Feels Good in the Hand
Reception 10/10 Never one dropped call
Call quality 10/10 Clear reception and communication
Internet 10/10 Fast and responsive
Multimedia 10/10 Effortless
Camera 8/10 Good but could use more preinstalled features
UI speed 10/10 Excellent
Everyday usage 10/10 Easy to learn, easy touse, fast response
Text input 10/10 4.3" display makes it easy to input text accurately with minimal mistakes
Display 9/10 Should have true full HD display - not just qHD Amoled Pentile
Battery 10/10 Second to none - I get over 20 hours of mixed use daily

Pros

• Battery, build quality, display size

Cons

• Needs best camera technology currently available and true full HD Display