Motorola DROID 2 Global User Reviews

Multimedia7.9/10
Internet8.2/10
Battery5.7/10

vincent95
posted on 21 Feb 2013, 19:25 (Posts: 17; Member since: 19 May 2012)

Don't Buy

vincent95 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

My dad had this phone for about two and a half years. We've had multiple issues and had to switch out the phone multiple times. The battery died too quickly, the speaker blew within a week, the earpiece didn't work, the microphone made calls sound crackly, the screen was slow, and the screen randomly went blank. We finally got it switched out for a DROID 4 and we love the phone. Works quickly, and works like it should. But don't buy this phone :(

Build quality 1/10 Not good build quality :(
Reception 8/10 Got a good reception, most of the time.
Call quality 3/10 Not best call quality :(
Internet 3/10 Was kind of slow :(
Multimedia 5/10 Speaker blows too easily :(
Camera 10/10 Camera was awesome.
UI speed 8/10 Was a bit slow.
Everyday usage 3/10 If you don't mind the lagging and that it breaks easily, you could buy it.
Text input 5/10 Keyboard didn't always work :(
Display 8/10 A bit small, but still good
Battery 1/10 Battery was bad :(

Pros

• Screen size

Cons

• Laggy
  • Speaker blows too easily
  • Earpiece stopped working
  • Slow

vincent95 alternatives:

lemonhead127
posted on 02 Oct 2012, 19:30 (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Sep 2012)

A great smartphone... from 2010

lemonhead127 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This was a phone from 2010, nothing from today so it wouldn't be able to be compared to today's phones. The processor is quite good and the build quality is phenomenal. I've dropped it at least 8 or 9 times (down the stairs, on the road, ect.) and not any major blemishes. The battery isn't too great, the camera is pretty bad, and it lags in games and anything you use everyday. It restarts itself a lot, maybe once or twice a day, and it goes unresponsive sometimes. But for it being a phone from back then I'd say well done Motorola.

Build quality 9/10 It survived many falls and drops down the stairs, in the parking lot, ect.
Reception 8/10 Connection normally is good overall but it could be a lot better then what it is.
Call quality 8/10 It's a Motorola phone so of course the call quality is fine. I've never dropped any calls or have any calls been incomprehensible.
Internet 7/10 It isn't fast at all, but it does have flash and it runs great, but the internet does kill the battery.
Multimedia 7/10 I've seen that mp3 playback is great, video can stutter sometimes, but good overall.
Camera 5/10 The camera is very bad. The pictures come out grainy and fuzzy, and after 2 years of usage I have yet to get a good photo of anything.
UI speed 6/10 Going between homescreens lags a whole lot. If that was one thing I could improve it would be the UI.
Everyday usage 7/10 It makes a good phone for everyday usage but the battery makes it so you can't use it for a long time everyday.
Text input 7/10 It stutters and lags a lot when typing resulting in a whole bunch of mistakes. It has Swype though, which is good and fun to use.
Display 8/10 It's a bright screen and everything looks okay on it, not comparable to any sort of AMOLED screen or S-LCD 2, but it isn't that bad.
Battery 7/10 It gets me through an hour or two on "heavy" usage like playing a game or watching videos. It will last the whole day if you don't use it much at all, of course.

• Great build quality
  • Gets you though the day

Cons

• Camera is bad
  • Battery isn't good
  • It lags a lot
  • It restarts itself a lot
  • Becomes unresponsive sometimes

CrocadileUT
posted on 24 Mar 2012, 04:07 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Feb 2011)

Nice phone if tweaked, great keyboard, terrible camera

CrocadileUT has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Great phone overall, not perfect, better with the extended battery, PowerAmp, and CyanogenMod installed. And be warned, it has a horrible camera. I originally purchased a Droid Pro which crashed on my constantly, and the sales manager recommended I exchange it for the Droid 2 Global. It was a good suggestion, I've been much happier with this phone as it was far more stable, and is great for music playback with or without headphones, although the sound was very scratchy until I installed PowerAmp. The keyboard is terrific for those of us insist on a physical keyboard. MotoBlur leaves something to be desired though, so I recommend installing Launcher Pro instead, or root this phone and install CyanogenMod. The 2 most offensive thing about the phone is the memory required by MotoBlur (which I resolved with Cyanogenmod), and the terrible quality camera it comes with. The phone does lock up on occasion, but it's not unusual with most Androids. My last complaint, it's impossible to find a case for this phone that doesn't snap apart because the clips are too small. Next time I think I'll abandon the keyboard for a candybar style, and buy a rubber case that can last.

Build quality 10/10 Solid build overall, strong Motorola quality I expected. Much nicer than HTC build quilty.
Reception 9/10 Reception has been consistently good.
Call quality 9/10 Consistently good
Internet 6/10 The default browser lags, I recommend Firefox or Dolphin HD
Multimedia 8/10 I recommend using PowerAmp, otherwise the MP3 playback is kinda bad.
Camera 2/10 Terrible camera, I can't stress that enough. The only camera worse is the one used in a Droid Pro. Motorola really needs to find a new camera provider.
UI speed 9/10 Good, as long as you replace the Launcher! MotoBlur is lousy otherwise.
Everyday usage 9/10 Consistently good once you tweak / mod it
Text input 10/10 Love that physical keyboard
Display 8/10 Pretty nice, I only wish they used Super AMOLED. I'm jelious when I compare my phone to a Samsung.
Battery 8/10 Like many Android, not the best battery life. I recommend buying the extended battery from Motorola. The phone should last you a full day under typical use, so long as you do not have bad signal.

Pros

Cons

• Camera stinks!!!
  • Cases break
  • Needs tweaking

JammasterJ
posted on 09 Feb 2012, 19:19 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)

Glitchy Phone...Expected More From Motorola!

JammasterJ has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I have had 4 of these phones. They are glitchy and have horrible battery usage! Hopefully Google and Motorola have worked out the kinks to make the new Droids work properly. It works okay, but compared to the iphone 4 everything seems slower to load such as gps, internet and apps.

Build quality 7/10 Fairly resilient with metal parts.
Reception 7/10 Could be better. Doesn't like switching from network to network.
Call quality 8/10 Speakerphone is not loud enough.
Internet 8/10 Its okay.
Multimedia 7/10 Fair, but the iphone is way faster!
Camera 9/10 Good camera and video recorder.
UI speed 6/10 Things load one by one on the screen.
Battery 2/10 It is horrible! A little better when upgraded to the Google Android 2.3.3.

Pros

• Solid build quality
  • Nice size
  • Good display
  • Wifi
  • Available apps

Cons

• Restrictive and small physical keyboard
  • Glitchy software
  • Battery!

deedeekay1979
posted on 13 Jul 2011, 22:34 (Posts: 0; Member since: 13 Jul 2011)

Good phone

deedeekay1979 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This is my first smart phone and for the most part it was alright. I can't say that it was horrible, and I can't say that it was awesome. I would say that it is a good phone for the most part because I have had worse. For one, this was a certified like new device that Verizon offered me because of some problems that I had with my feature phone. So I think that I experienced the problems that I had with it because it was not a brand new device. I did a factory reset on the phone after about a month and I really have not had problems since then. One thing that I can say about Motorola is that they do make good, durable phones. So my next phone will be the Droid 3

Pros

• Very durable

Cons

• Battery life is not the greatest

Mersh.
posted on 17 Jun 2011, 09:43

STEAR CLEAR!!

Mersh. has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I originally bought this phone in January, it is now June and I'm on my FOURTH replacement (which still doesn't work). I'm getting rid of this phone! It turns itself on and off when it pleases. It also randomly would tell me I have no service, so I tried turning it off and back on. It spent 5 hours once trying to turn back on so I took the battery out. Now every time this happens I have to take my case off and take the battery out. Which reminds me, the battery life is HORRENDOUS!!! I have to charge my phone two to three times a day, and don't even try to say I need to use a task manager, I DO! I don't even have anything on this phone because I've gotten so many replacements, I haven't had the time to get all of my apps back, only a few. This phone is the worst piece of junk ever, I'm getting a new phone, and it's NOT going to be this one!

Pros

• Customizable
  • Widgets

• Freezes
  • Turns on and off by itself
  • Randomly loses all service until you take the battery out. DO NOT try to turn it off and then back on because it won't turn on.

Mersh. alternatives:

jayallan
posted on 28 Mar 2011, 14:26 (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Mar 2011)

GREAT PHONE

jayallan has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I hear the DROID 3 GLOBAL will have a 4.3 screen, then it will be better then it already is!!! Hope it comes out soon, then I'll have to wait to upgrade :( Otherwise I'm pleased with it, it's my first smartphone. Finding my around it is a learning curve. I got the paper manual from Motorola (Thanx M)and all those sites help too...DROID4LIFE
JAJ

Pros

• everything except the battery

Cons

• Battery Life (like any touchscreen)

jtmarich1985
posted on 17 Jan 2011, 07:44 (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)

Excellent phone!

jtmarich1985 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Excellent all around phone. Does everything you need on the go. Very fast, reliable, and entertaining! Excellent upgrade if you are a smartphone user. Gets very good reception in weak areas and has very clear call quality. Display is very crisp for only being 480x854 resolution. Buttons are well laid out for an easy typing experience. Camera takes nice pictures but I've noticed a couple times that the flash jumps the gun before it snaps the picture lol but hey......nothings perfect and it doesn't do it very often

Pros

Cons

• obviously....battery life

tebower
posted on 01 Jan 2011, 19:44 (Posts: 0; Member since: 01 Jan 2011)

A great decision

tebower has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I upgraded from my original Droid 1, which I considered, at the time, to be the best device I have ever owned. There were minimal things that bothered me about it (gold paint flecking off, anyone?). I held off for some time, knowing that I wanted my upgrade to be 'worth it.' I know that 4G devices are around the corner, AMOLED 4" screens are pretty, dual-core processors will be awesome, etc, etc... But a hardware keyboard is a must for me. I am not aware of any device on the VZW roadmap that had these great features AND a great hardware keyboard. I took the jump with the D2G, knowing that I loved my D1, and this is only an improvement.

It truly was an improvement! All of the little things that bothered me with the Droid were gone, fixed, refined, what have you. The curved surface makes it easier to hold. The blue lighting on the keyboard brings it into the new century, and out of the 80's (gold and black). The new processor and memory/storage blow the D1 away. It's a great upgrade, and will serve me well until my next upgrade in a year. I know that I can hold out, not needing the "latest and greatest," since this should be more than enough for some time.

If you need to rid yourself of the "blur" experience, get Launcher Pro. If you need to get rid of the blur applications that run in the background, do your research about how. It does make a big difference.

Pros

• Android 2.2
  • hardware keyboard
  • building quality

Cons

• 3.7" screen (4" seems all the rage)

essequemodeia
posted on 25 Dec 2010, 22:04

A Worthy Upgrade

essequemodeia has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Coming from an original Droid, with its 256mb RAM limitations, it's immediately clear how responsive the UI is. It's absolutely snappy, as it should be with a 1.2ghz CPU. It was such a drag to constantly hover between 35mb and 50mb of RAM, and having to constantly manage running applications made it a hassle. NOT. GONNA. HAVE. IT.

This is what I wanted my original Droid experience to be. This is fast, responsive, and slick. I am very satisfied with this smartphone. Battery does drain faster but with charging cables at work, at home, and even in the car... it's not that much of a problem.

cricketfan333
posted on 24 Dec 2010, 02:05 (Posts: 0; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)

Quite happy for the most part.

cricketfan333 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I got my Droid 2 Global a few weeks ago and this being my first time having a smartphone it took me a while to get used to it. I love the most things about the phone but the camera doesn't have a zoom feature. There are certain features on the phone that requires using the touch screen including unlocking the phone. But I can live with that. I also like it that there is a built in screen reader for blind/visually impaired people like myself. The keys on the keyboard could be more spaced out though. Reception isn't always the greatest either but I hear that it's common with Droid phones.

Call quality 10/10 Improved with latest software update.
Battery 10/10 Also improved with latest software update.

Pros

• Screen Reader
  • Sound quality
  • Apps
  • Browser
  • Calculator

• Reception sometimes
  • Settings tend to reset to default when switching to and from silent mode.

jkapster
posted on 15 Dec 2010, 02:27 (Posts: 49; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)

Not what its hyped up to be!

jkapster has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I had a DROIDX....talk about disappointing! Sure it was nice having froyo 2.2 (and now 2.3.340) but the features on the Galaxy S are so much better. Here are 5 things to think about:
1) The 4" SuperAMOLED display is more crisp, clear, and energy efficient than the 4.3" LCD display on the DROIDX
2) DROIDX only supports mpeg4 formats for movies, Galaxy S supports avi, divX, mp4, and a variety of other formats (so u dont have to keep converting movies etc)
3) Even with the 8MP dual LED camera the DROIDX take pictures that are crisp and clear only in the outside during the day or in a perfect light setting, you can forget about taking pix in the dark or indoors. The 5MP Galaxy S takes pics in virtually any light condition and comes out clear, even with the flash in a dark setting. It really is amazing!
4) To access the microSD card you have to take out the battery on the DROIDX. With the Galaxy S you remove the cover, but the phone is still on.
5) Sure you can hook up ur DROIDX via microHDMI cable/docking station but the playback is horrible. you can hear the data transfer through the speakers of the TV which totally ruins the HD experience.

Believe me this comment is not biased either. I have owned many motorola phones including the original DROID and DROIDX and the Samsung Galaxy S out does all of them. I can wait for the next gen samsung smartphones. It will definitely be interesting!

Pros

• big screen
  • mult microphones

Cons

• you have to take off the battery to acces mircro SD card
  • feedback through TV speaker when using the microHDMI cable to playback video no TV
  • heavy/bulky
  • support only limited movie playback formats
  • you have to be in the perfect light setting to get quality pictures, other than that pix are grainy

Russki
posted on 02 Dec 2010, 01:49 (Posts: 45; Member since: 26 Dec 2009)

Just what I'd Expect out of the Third-Gen Droid

Russki has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Had this phone for about a week and i have to say that this is EXACTLY the upgrade i was looking for when i traded my old Droid 1. The experience has been like driving into a Lexus dealership and picking up a newer model with a turbocharger. I got this phone in white, and i have to say it is the sexiest looking Droid to date. Its fast, loaded with new features, upgraded components, and more intuitive keyboard. Im glad i can brag that i have the fastest Droid on the market - if only for a few months... Im excited to see what i can do with this phone once i root it. DNLA support is AMAZING - i am streaming video from my phone to my TV via my wi-fi network at home without any cables - that is a big plus.

Build quality 10/10 Overall build quality is amazing. I have the phone in white and it is a Sexy Beast! The slider seems very sturdy, and there is no wiggle like on the Droid 1.
Reception 9/10 Always have bars. Everywhere!
Call quality 7/10 I've been getting some fuzzy sounds from the speaker from certain people i talk to. This was an issue on the Droid 1 untii i rooted it with a custom deodexed ROM which eliminated the issue. Will investigate further
Internet 10/10 I love the stock Android browser. And the 1.2Ghz browser helps to load the text and graphics much quicker than the previous models.
Multimedia 10/10 I love how they have added an equalizer preset in the music and sounds settings. Pandora has never sounded this good in my car! I have my preset set to home theater (I have 10 speakers in my car)
Camera 10/10 Very impressed. This camera is night and day from the Moto Droid 1 camera which was terrible. I love the new picture and video editing software that has been added. Facial recognition is beautiful.
UI speed 9/10 A few hiccups here and there, but after i root and get rid of blur - i think there will be no lag to speak of.
Everyday usage 10/10 Juice defender is unnessisary for me. I lvoe how the battery Manager has three presets - my favorite is performance, because thats why i got the phone to begin with!
Text input 8/10 The keyboard is much better than the droid 1, but im putting and 8 because the keys are rearranged and im so used to my droid 1 that its taking me some time to re-adjust. Swype and voice text imput is nice.
Display 10/10 I remember reading something about Moto tweaking the gpu, and it really does create a BIG difference. Everything is very sharp, crisp, and Videos are beautiful. Live wallpapers are mesmerizing.
Battery 7/10 So far, there hasnt been a big issue for me with battery life. I just turn off the GPS, and set the brightness to auto with the power widget. I see that Verizon has the 1800mAh extended batteries on sale for 49.99 on their website, but im going to hold off for now.

Pros

• Global
  • 1.2ghZ make this the FASTEST phone on the planet right now
  • Screen is magnificent, sharp, and clear
  • Audio equalizer
  • Custom Battery Presets

Cons

• Moto Blur

airro
posted on 29 Nov 2010, 00:56

pretty darn good

airro has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

regardless of anything, for the few coming weeks you can at least say: "i have the fastest phone in the world." with the 1.2 ghz processor, it's indeed pretty snappy. but because of that, the battery just runs out way to quickly. camera is surprisingly good too.

Pros

• the voice search: "text john: hi..." or "navigate to the nearest..."
  • keyboard is not bad
  • speed: it's FAST!

Cons

• the battery kills it! if you use gps and internet, battery lasts around half a day

Ziemba
posted on 20 Nov 2010, 10:56

Very good

Ziemba has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Overall, an awesome phone. Most of the "setbacks" I can think of are correctable by free apps on the Android market. Those correctable setbacks include: no standard text editor, no native Divx/AVI video file support, and horrible battery life.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of FM radio and lack of 720p video recording, but it won't kill me. I also wish the microSD card slot were accessible from the outside case of the phone. I love the keyboard, the display is absolutely gorgeous, and Froyo is super intuitive and wonderfully customizable (and part of the beauty of the customization is that it's so easily accomplished).

Build quality 9/10 Very solid and durable, non-proprietary 3.5 mm headphone jack and power connection. Marked down only because microSD card is relatively inaccessible underneath the battery.
Reception 10/10 Caveat: I give reception a 10 because I think the difference between call quality on a land line and that on a cell phone is still the cell phone networks. I find no evidence of hindering from this phone.
Call quality 6/10 The highest earpiece volume is horrid. Static everywhere. On this expensive of a phone and with all the technology these days, this is inexcusable.
Internet 10/10 More of a credit to the OS than the phone itself, but Flash 10 provides a good web experience. Combine that with a good standard Android browser and a good screen resolution, and you got yourself a winner. No real room for improvement here given current technology.
Multimedia 8/10 I love live wallpapers, and screen resolution is good. Standard music player is nice with lots of free alternatives on the market. No standard support for Divx/AVI files, which is baffling, but this is easily correctable via free apps on the market.
Camera 7/10 I bought a Samsung Omnia in January of 2009 with a 5 MP camera, and I'm seeing no improvement with this phone. No visible 720p video recording... what is the hardware setback responsible for this?? Seems disappointing.
UI speed 9/10 The '9' rating reflects a little disappointment in the slight lag despite a 1.2 GHz processor. You can't complain much considering it's a phone, though.
Everyday usage 10/10 3 profiles * 7 home screens means there are a ton of ways to customize your shortcuts and widgets to make your most frequent uses of the phone a snap.
Text input 10/10 A good physical keyboard earns a 10. Swype is standard for all who prefer a good virtual keyboard. Probably the best high-end phone out there for texting and emailing (and status updates for you social networking users).
Display 10/10 I can't figure out why my standard JPEG wallpapers look so freakin' beautiful, but there's something about the display that is just breathtaking. If '11' were a rating option, I'd pick it.
Battery 4/10 Lithium polymer is nice, but this beast is just a powerhog. I highly recommend the JuiceDefender app for all users. My battery lasts about 24 hours with the app after pretty heavy usage, but why aren't there bettery battery saving options standard? Even the standard "battery saver" mode without help from a non-native app is horrible at conserving your battery.