Motorola Barrage User Reviews

Text input7.3/10
Everyday usage9.3/10
Multimedia6.7/10

angerbender
posted on 24 Feb 2012, 03:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)

It's the best there is. only because they don't carry any better.

angerbender has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Number pad is good. Feels good and is laid out well. battery sucked, but extended capacity battery lives long. same VZW GUI, which i don't like. But it has Motorola intelligent texting. camera needs auto focus and flash. SPeaker is nice and loud. And I've taken hundreds of underwater pics in the pool.

Pros

• waterproof
  • simple

Cons

• no flash
  • no autofocus

Anonomous
posted on 12 May 2011, 20:55

Barrage is good... if you know the tips.

Anonomous has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Good for moderately rough use. Has a nice rubberized grip around the edge. Tip: an SD card is optional; but if you do add an SD card it will use a lot of battery power. Tip: before, during, and especially after locking the battery cover, the cover must be pressed down all around the edges to get the gasket to seal. Tip: download the app to backup your contacts online. Tip: being water resistant, the microphone and speakers are covered with a membrane, thus sound quality is somewhat degraded; instead of using the speaker phone feature, suggest using a bluetooth headset for conferences calls. Tip: normal car&wall USB chargers work; but if you want to charge from a computer USB port, then the computer must have Motorola software installed.

Build quality 9/10 More rugged than most phones. Very strong metal hinge.
Reception 7/10 Reception seems same as other phones our family has.
UI speed 2/10 Slow response to keys. Sometimes very slow. Sometimes the key tone lasts for more than a second while it processes the key.
Text input 7/10 Typical 10key texting pad.
Battery 9/10 Will last more than a week in standby. Can last days with several calls per day. DON'T install an optional SD card, it drains the battery.

Pros

• Rugged.
  • Water resistant.
  • Rubber grip prevents slipping from hand.

Cons

• Optional SD card drains battery.
  • Interface can be very slow at times.

Anonymous758
posted on 12 Nov 2010, 17:08

BEST PHONE FOR WORK

Anonymous758 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I use this phone for work. It has gone to hell and back. I lost it last night and found it today after it had sat in 9 inches of rain water for 20+ hours. It rained all day. I called my Boss to tell him I found it. I had the rock before and that phone was terrible. This is the better phone by far

Irene Lefever
posted on 20 Sep 2010, 15:20

Will not TURN ON

We purchased this phone in April of 2010; this morning it would not turn on. My husband took the phone into Verizon and they could not get the phone to turn on. The battery was fine so they are sending us a new phone. THIS IS THE PROBLEM - the phone has NO memory card!!! So 25 years of phone numbers are now missing. We did not know and were not told that this phone has no card and that you have to down loan an app from the contact menu to back up all of your phone numbers!!! IF WE had been told this in the beginning we would have done the backup. SO if you have this phone please download the app. I am very, very disappointed in Verizon we have been customers for over 25 years but the employees are not helpful and when you sign in for service at the store and you are standing there looking at 5 people and you are the only one there and they take 45 min's to call your name is unbelievable. Shame on Verizon for not letting us know about backing up our phone numbers.

Ed J
posted on 13 Sep 2010, 16:18

All and All A Good Phone

I purchased this phone in May 2010. I acquired the extra capacity battery at the start because of all of the reviews referencing poor battery life. After about a week the battery life did drop drastically. I'm a systems engineer and I decided to investigate why. I found that there was a software function that was not terminating and was increasing the battery drain by a large amount. I also found that if the phone took several seconds to indicate that it was charging when connected to the charger the software problem was present. If the phone indicating charging within a second of being connected to the charger then all was fine.

The only solution was to remove the battery for about 30 seconds and then reinstall it. On turning the phone back on the charging operation would indicate properly and the charge would last all week or until the software function again screwed up.

About a month ago there was an over the air software upgrade and since the upgrade the phone has functioned perfectly and battery life is in excess of a week with my normal usage (1000+ minutes/month). The current software version is FRBKS1_00.21.27P dated 08/17/2010.

As for the phones general operation, the water resistance, battery cover fit, functionality and general construction and feel is far above average. The phone has been dropped several times from about five feet high with no damage or even a scratch. I highly recommend this phone if you are looking for a telephone with limited texting ability....

teenkid222
posted on 22 Aug 2010, 03:21

Not Waterproof

This phone is pretty good, but a few problems. The battery cover doesn't close all the way, which wasn't an issue for me because I bought the extended battery which comes with a different battery case. I've only used the original battery once, and it is true that this battery doesn't hold a charge long, but with the extended battery I bought, the phone can last almost 48 hours. This might not seem very long, but I use my phone for texting constantly nonstop every day. The only problem I have with the battery is that the extended battery is about twice the size as the original, making it much more bulky. Also, if you look at a picture of this phone, the very top of it, which appears to be silver metal, is in fact painted plastic, and haas started to wear. Also, the middle piece that swivels with the screen part of the phone came loose and fell off, but I was able to put it back on. That brings me to the next problem. THIS PHONE IS NOT WATERPROOF! Although they claim that it is, once that aforementioned piece comes loose, water can get inside. I was pushed in a pool yesterday with my phone, and although the water damage stickers have not been tripped, I can tell that there is water damage from moisture on the other side of the camera lens. When I turned off my phone and turned it back on, my screen was not working, but after leaving it under a lamp for a little while, the screens are normal again. Unfortunately, the speaker used for speaker phone and playing ringtones have...

Pros

• Water Resistant,
  • Extended battery has decent battery life,
  • Great Bluetooth capabilities,
  • Easy to use.

Cons

• NOT waterproof as they claim,
  • Original battery cover is not waterproof or even water resistant,
  • Extended battery is a bit bulky,
  • Micro SD card is difficult to get out without taking the battery out.

cellgeek82
posted on 27 Apr 2010, 02:49 (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Dec 2009)

Great PTT Phone!

I almost didn't get this one. My second choice would've been the Samsung Convoy. I've always been a fan of Motorola products and I really like this one. I wanted a phone that would make a great phone and also have Push-to-Talk. This phone has excellent voic

• Reception
  • Customizations
  • Messaging options
  • Voice Clarity
  • PTT works great!
  • Screens
  • User Interface
  • Design, except a little bulky but that's expected in a PTT device.
  • Durability
  • Loud speakers, you won't miss a call unless you're deaf!
  • Micro USB
  • Plenty of on-board memory
  • Can use PTT with flip closed
  • EV-DO Rev.A for 3G data

Cons

• A little bulky, but it's because of the nature of a PTT phone.
  • Wallpaper selections, past Moto phones have had better (ie Moto Rapture).
  • Battery cover is sorta tight but that's because it seals.
  • MicroSD is easy to insert but awkward to take back out.

MattV
posted on 12 Apr 2010, 20:49

I was looking for a cell phone that I could bring kayaking without worrying about getting it wet.  I was debated between the Casio Brigade, Casio Rock and the Motorola Barrage for a while. The Casio Brigade is well made, but huge (not to mention being forced into a $10 extra data plan). The Rock looks nice, but is slow. One of the tech support guys at Verizon said it had a high return rate due to software issues. This left the barrage, which I wasn't too enthused about because it felt light weight, and I read about battery life wasn't good.  Here's what I've found:  - The battery is no better or worse from other phones I've had. I heavily used it the last 4 days with the display on, blue tooth going and in part of the house where there isn't good coverage so the phone boosts the signal. The battery indicator isn't too linear. (I do recharge most devices with them off, I don't know if that helps in this case). - Size is nice for talking. The phone actually goes from my ear to near my mouth. - The closed phone's thickness is bulky... could've done with a smaller phone in my pocket. - Keys and screens are easy to see and use. Navigation ring is small but I don't have any problems using. (And I have big fingers). - Display is nice, clear and bright.  I'm going to put a film on the front display, it looks like it is a likely candidate to get scratched. - It was easy to customize using bluetooth file transfers from my iMac to the...

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Nice feel, touch of keys
  • nice build quality

Cons

• Could be slimmer.

posted on 10 Mar 2010, 21:44

1.7

This phone his terrible it was sold to me as a tough phone that would last for a long time.  The truth is that it lasted me all of 6 days.  It was dropped once and snapped in half, even worse was that it had fallen off the arm of a couch, maybe 3ft up.  This company should be embarrassed I have had several phones that actually still work that I only upgraded because I could and every time I have gotten a bigger piece of crap leading up to this one.  I have nothing good to say for this phone or for Verizon for that matter considering I will most likely be paying a lot more money for being ripped off in the first place.  Go with AT&T or Sprint it can't be worse than verizon.

Pros

• There was a $50 rebate to buy lube for butt rape

Cons

• Verizon

mac1979
posted on 06 Mar 2010, 04:43 (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)

This is a great phone !

I have read a lot of reviews on here and on another phone website, and have read a lot of reviews saying how horrible the battery life is on this phone. I fully charged the phone yesterday when I got it in the mail. It was fully charged at 2pm. It is now almost 6am the next day and I have all battery bars on the phone but one. I talked on the phone, used bluetooth, played around with options and still have decent life left. The first thing I did when I activated the phone was to see if there was an OTA update, which there was. Maybe this fixed some of the battery life issues I have read about in previous post. I also found the call clarity to be great. I would buy this phone again if I had to. The battery cover was a pain, but it looks to be properly seated now.

• Mil Spec
  • Sound quality

Cons

• Batter door
  • Ringtones / Sounds

CCrider77
posted on 28 Feb 2010, 02:02 (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Feb 2010)

Very Impressive

I'm a motorcyclist, camper and am tough on cell phones.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, thin stylish cases or a slide out keyboard.  Just a rugged, durable device I can talk and text with, as well as take an occasional picture with.  The Barrage does all of this extremely well.I carefully shopped between the Casio and Samsung mil-spec phones and the Motorola was the best choice for me.  Unlike the funky "space-age looking" Casio, the Motorola is ergonomically shaped and very comfortable to hold.  The styling is conservative enough to look appropriate for business and professionals and it has a large external color display.  The speaker is clear and very easy to listen to.  The keypad is one of the best I've used, with raised buttons and a solid but quick feel.  The rubberized coating on the edges make the phone secure in your hands, even when wet and the optional phone clip is well designed, easy to use and sturdy.  The battery compartment seal works perfectly if you make sure it's seated properly.I was skeptical about the Motorola's battery life after reading several reviews, but after putting the phone on a full 24-hour charge before initial use, it's actually been perfect.  I typically get 5-7 days from a charge, and I leave it on 24/7 and make several calls and texts each day.  Better than my previous Samsung, which I loved.

Pros

• Ergonomic, Lightweight, Rugged, Great Battery Life, Nice Looking, Nice Keypad Feel, Large Cover Display, Easy To Use.

Cons

• Belt clip is a $20 option.

posted on 13 Dec 2009, 12:24

I got the phone the day it came out. I have had no problems with it at all. I work as a paramedic and the phone works great for my needs. I have not had any problems with battery life. I have dropped it in water and snow and no issues. I also lost it outside in the snow overnight in 10 degree weather and I found picked it up and used it . NO ISSUES!!!!

Ike
posted on 02 Dec 2009, 12:55

It's a good phone

It's a good phone. I've had almost every tough phone that Verizon has had to offer. I'm tough on phone's and the tough phones are my solution. I've had this one for about a month. It's been dropped numerous times. Been though the washing machine and dryer. It's been ran over twice by a car and still looks brand new. I upgraded to the extended battery. That solves the battery life problem and the sealing problem. Makes it a lil more bulky but I don't have to charge it but 2 times a week at most. Usually once. And I use it allot. about 700 mins a month and 2000 text on the usual. So I use my phone. Mine does have some play in the hinge but after having it I'm glad it does. It allows it to move a little bit instead of snapping off like other phones I've had. There is only two things in my opinion that's wrong with this phone" no flash on the camera/flashlight, and charging dock.

C. Fisher
posted on 23 Nov 2009, 21:59

waterboy

I've had this phone for one weekend and I am disappointed.  First, the battery cover does not seal all the way.  The Verizon store told me that they had the same problem with all the Barrage's they sold.  They put some rubbing alcohol on the seal and said that I should give it a few days to seat.  What!  Will the moisture indicator turn color and void my warranty during this time?  The second problem is that the battery dies much too quickly.  The battery in my old AX 8600 LG lasted three times as long.  The Verizon store ran a diagnostic test and said that the battery was fine.  They told me to give it a few charges and the battery should start lasting longer.  What!  In my opinion, the phone itself is eating the battery life while it is setting on my dresser.  At this point, I am not satisfied, but I will give it a few days.  Me thinks it is going to be traded in before the 30 day return period is up.

Pros

• Rugged design, perfect for contractors and other people who need rugged phones.

Cons

• Back cover does not seal properly and battery life is short.

dirty j harry
posted on 15 Nov 2009, 18:24 (Posts: 6; Member since: 28 Jul 2009)

Motorola barrage

Let me start off by saying I DISPISE MOTOROLA but!!! I have to say that I am IMPRESSED WITH THIS PHONE!!!  Phone is much more ruggard that the v750 and with the faster ptt on the 3G network it is very much like Nextel direct connect.

Pros

• much better built phone that the v750

Phone Guy ROCKER
posted on 09 Nov 2009, 10:59

Motorola's TaNk PhOnE!

Awesome phone.
Big screen, easy to read keys, TANK.
Love it, if you work hard or play hard, this is easily the best on the market!
Use it for constructino purposes, and this thing gets tossed a LOT.
Long battery life too, which I didn't expect.
Don't listen to the above, very loud ringer - whips my Casio (THE POS!).

Go for this one guys, for sure.
Not sure what else to say really, says the post has to be 250 words.

Love

It

Love

It

Pros

• TANK
  • Big Keys
  • Big Screen
  • Easy To Use
  • Fast on Web

Cons

• Not Pink :P

posted on 07 Oct 2009, 22:16

I have only had this phone for two days. So far I like it. The speaker phone is GREAT!! Its loud and clear. The speaker on the headset isn't that great but its not bad. It has a little crackling if the volume is up all the way.The phone I replaced was the G'Zone type S. witch was a great phone. and so far from what I can see the Motorola Barrage will be better.One thing I don't like is that you have to take the battery cover off to insert the SD card. (but my last phone didnt have and SD card, so I can deal with it.)

Pros

• Speaker Phone is loud. Battery Life seems good.Fits good in your hands. the display is large and clear.

Cons

• Internal Speaker isn't great. You have to take the battery cover off to insert the SD card.

Markj73
posted on 03 Oct 2009, 14:51

1.7

Barrage should be named Garbage

The handset speaker is terrible, a lot of vibration and distortion from the mid-low to high end of the volume, and the speaker phone is not loud enough, quieter than the boulder or moto v750.Hopefully motorola will release a newer hardware revision and fix these issues, though I doubt it, motorola I'm ready to give up on your terrible CDMA phones...

Pros

• Feels good in your hands, light weight but easy to hold.

Cons

• Terrible internal speaker rattles, and low audio on the speaker phone.

Buy This Phone