LG Versa User Reviews

Text input6.5/10
Build quality8.3/10
Everyday usage7.3/10

corporateJP
posted on 29 Jan 2010, 22:15 (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)

Love this phone!

What can I say? I switched from a Voyager Titanium, which I had for two years and absolutely loved, to the Versa on my upgrade. Initially, when I got my Voyager, it was between that and the Dare. I was leary about full touch and no physical QWERTY. The Dare was also shotty in the OS department. This phone is a ten-fold upgrade. Granted the camera is less MP versus the Dare, but everything else is better. No quirks on this phone, the operating system is smooth. Many people dislike the fact that you can't change the look of the User Interface, but I say "big deal". There's other phones for that. This is a physically gorgeous phone with superb interface that runs perfectly. The call quality is exceptional and it pulls service well, even in areas on the fringe of service (I travel to them often). I was amazed how easily I can text on the virtual QWERTY, even with my thick mits. The battery life isn't as great as my Voyager, but if you don't charge your phone once every two or three days, you have issues anyway. Looked at getting the keyboard or maybe the gamepad attatchments, but I wasn't overly impressed. Overall, though, I've been a huge fan of LG, as I switched from Nokia (grudgingly) a few years ago. Never looked back. This phone is going on three months, and I love it!

Pros

• Nice design, excellent UI, touch is actually friendly

Cons

• Battery life could be a bit better, add-on devices could be better

PokeFanaticJosh
posted on 05 Mar 2009, 21:43 (Posts: 8; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)

New Phone, New Review

Ok, as many of you have read, I posted a review earlier.  I just got my new Versa after re-using my Voyager for a day. And I have to say that the Voyager is a huge DOWNGRADE.  Now, I am using the new Versa, and everything about it is amazing.  The different menu screens make a person with OCD such as myself very happy.  Also, this being my 21st phone makes this the very best phone I have ever used.  Today one of my friends received a LG Dare, and after using it, I found that it wasn't a smooth throughout messaging and such.  So basically, the Versa is all around one of the best phones on Verizon.

• Games
  • Menu designs
  • Messaging

Cons

• Touch calibration is about hard to use.

PokeFanaticJosh
posted on 04 Mar 2009, 18:00 (Posts: 8; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)

Wow.

This phone is freaking awesome. HOWEVER! The very first day I received the phone, it malfunctioned and doesn't allow me to call out, or send messages. Also, it freezes when I do not read a message right away.  However, judging as this is a manufacturing problem, the time I have had with the phone has been great.  The menu's and new features make the phone a joy to use.  Overall, this phone is great.

Pros

• Features

Cons

• Malfunctions
  • Leather case is awkward to use when not use qwerty keyboard

sinfulta
posted on 03 Mar 2009, 12:38 (Posts: 272; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)

Wow

I can't believe how powerful this standard phone is. It's probably one of the best phones on the market for the people that don't want to make a jump into the smart phone market. The browser is lighting fast and plays videos right within the window! I haven't seen even a smart phone do that... with tabbed browsing. I like to go out at night on the weekends. I love the fact that I can detach the keyboard and have a nice slim touch screen phone to put in my jeans. Then when I need the keyboard just attach it. The stylus is handy, but just dangles off the side so I will probably never use it. But picture quality for a 2MP Camera is unmatched and the menu is fast, fluid and breathtakingly good looking.
For those who didn't like the touch screen on the Dare and were thinking it still wasn't quite accurate enough. They have basically solved this problem with the new one. LG really pays attention to detail and the Versa is no different.

Pros

• -Great camera considering 2.0 MP.
  • -Fluid , extremely nice looking UI with several shortcuts everywhere.
  • -Slim when you need it, or Add a slight amount of bulk for a handy keyboard.
  • -Accurate touch screen
  • -Tabbed web browsing with embedded video watching!

Cons

• -Leather cover around the keyboard attachment could of been higher quality.
  • -Phone only comes in a really really dark brown with matching leather keyboard. Black should of been the option and people probably wouldn't have noticed the leather so much

Ricky_R1234
posted on 21 Nov 2011, 18:36 (Posts: 0; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)

Pros outweigh cons

Ricky_R1234 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

three homescreens allows for favorites, shortcuts, and media links. two options available for menu, one allows for usual verizon menu, but the second "smart menu" has 2 lists. list on the right is shortcuts to tools, message list, alarm, browser and others. on the left, "call send create play connect and download" which quickly links you to any of these options. for example: clicking "create" changes the menu on the right to contact (new contact), notepad (new note) pictures (camera) and others. this may be confusing at first because choosing "create" then contact, it opens the new contact screen, NOT the contact list. up to 10 favorite contacts can be added. inbox holds 200 text messages, and a few more picture and video messages. outbox holds only 50 messages. I do not have the qwerty keyboard attachment, but i do not have a problem with text messaging. abc text input is dificult, and writing recognition can be slow. t9 is very useful, but buttons could be bigger. and when turned sideways there is a touch qwerty keyboard. in the message settings (accessed from messages, NOT in settings and tools) contact view (IM style messages) can be selected. recieved messages appear in blue, and sent messages are in green. while there are two menu styles, there is no way to change the theme. the brown is a strange choice. there is no way to change the clock at the bottom of the 3 homescreens, but on the shortcut homescreen, a clock widget can be added (analog, military time, or dual clock)...

Build quality 8/10 back cover slides a little
Call quality 7/10 sometimes hearing can be difficult, even at full volume
Internet 10/10 do not use internet often, but works great when I do
Multimedia 10/10 only have one game downloaded, but it works great
Camera 10/10 auto focus takes nice pictures for a mobile phone! also takes so-so video, but beats my old phone, which did not have video
UI speed 9/10 works well, occasionally gets slow
Everyday usage 9/10 calling, texting, picture taking/messaging is all very easy
Text input 8/10 touch screen buttons could be bigger in T9 and abc mode. T9 is easy to use and remembers new words (but also forgets after a long while), abc works well too, but T9 is preferable. when turned sideways, qwerty (touch) keyboard comes up, but buttons are small which causes you to make more mistakes. I do not own the qwerty attachment
Display 10/10 Large display is nice and clear.
Battery 7/10 Battery easily lasts a day from early morning to late night with a lot of use. but 2 days is not as easy. if taken off the charger at 10am or noon, phone is likely to last till the following night

Pros

• Threaded and Time organized messaging
  • auto focus and flash take good pictures
  • large screen
  • lots of memory for pictures, videos and games

Cons

• screen occationally misses a touch or clicks the button next to it
  • occationally does strange things, quick restart will fix
  • occationally changes message recipient (restart fixes this)

windowzebralove
posted on 15 May 2011, 15:48 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 May 2011)

TERRIBLE PHONE! I HATE IT!!!!!!!

windowzebralove has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

i have had this phone for over two years now. i HATE THIS PHONE.
the touch screen absolutely SUCKS. the keyboard is freaking UGLY! and its bulky, it sticks two feet out of my pocket.
the only really good thing about this is that i can drop it a lot and it doesn't break. it could survive a bomb. but thats because the keyboard leather case is a bomb shelter.
my keyboard is crap, half the keys stopped working completely so i have to use just the phone. this sucks because texting on this piece of crap screen is terrible. i am a fast texter, but i feel so slow when i have to use the screen.
the screen gets a LOT of scratches on it, really fast. when it gets scratches, your finger doesn't easily slide over it, you have to use more force.
THE CAMERA IS CRAP. CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!!!! every picture i take had lines through it, and it takes FOREVERRRRR to take. the only time it SOMETIMES doesn't make lines through it is when im outside in the blazing sun. the camera is such a disappointment i could cry.
this phone does hold a lot of pictures on the phones internal memory.
SO, the ratings on here are saying things like, "great phone!" "amazing phone!" NO!!!! its really crap. take it from me.

Pros

• durable
  • detachable keyboard
  • picture storage

Cons

• bulky
  • ugly
  • terrible quality in everything
  • bad touch screen
  • more in the description....

Kingddk56
posted on 18 Mar 2009, 07:35 (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Mar 2009)

Simply Amazing

SO i purchased this phone about two weeks ago and simply love iT!!!! When i first recieved it there was an issue with the battery but after fixing that this thing rocks the sock off any non-smart phone verizon has to offer. I'm still debating whether or not i like it more with or without the keyboard attachment but i've found practical uses with it both on and off. The last phone i had was the Samsung Sch-U540 and honestly it was a piece of junk. so all ther versa's camera features and drawing pad and all its other stuff are really fun to do when your bored out of your skull. in short, big thumbs up to LG for this phone!!!

Pros

• Panorama feature on camera is very accurate
  • Touch screen is very very responsive
  • Doesn't lag (even with about 15 pictures in your in box)
  • viewing the inbox by contacts makes texting so much easier
  • The keyboard acts as a protective case

Cons

• Faux leather is kinda lame
  • wish the outside had buttons to dial numbers

Tressa999
posted on 04 Mar 2009, 07:51 (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Jan 2009)

Versa is IT!

Got my Versa yesterday and I am loving it!  The screen is beautiful and the case isn't as bad as some reviewers think.  I love the add on QWERTY.  It's so easy to type on.  This is my first non-flip phone and I am loving it.  LG sure has a winner.  Anyone that says different is jealous!  LOL

Pros

• Quality of screen view
  • Setup

hayley
posted on 11 Aug 2011, 23:40

worked great for the 2 years

hayley has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've had this phone for almost 2 years, I just got a notification I can renew my contract, which thank god, because this phone is garbage. its bulky, and you CANNOT put it in your pocket, or purse. where do you put it you ask? good question. wish i knew, your hand, and sometimes that fails. i can't tell you all the people i accidentally called. i can't even have a conversation without checking my phone to make sure i'm not calling someone. its bulky, it chips and cracks easily. its veryyyy basic. doesn't do much of anything, actually most of the features are completely worthless. camera is horrible. texting is kind of easy, i guess. as long as you use T9 and don't use the qwerty keyboard, or whatever it is when you flip it to the side. its really ugly, too. like the screen is..

whats good about this phone? the fact that i could run it over a few times and still works. it worked well for the two years. but, about a few months ago, i started noticing my battery dying quicker, and now it shuts off every 10 minutes.

Build quality 8/10 its a solid phone
Reception 10/10 its good.
Internet 2/10 if you use it, its slow.
Camera 3/10 horrible
Everyday usage 5/10 it gets the job done, thats it
Battery 3/10 good while it lasted

Pros

• durable

Cons

• everything else.

Shariece
posted on 01 May 2011, 14:55

This phone hella dope

Shariece has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

i love this phone its so cool.. I like how u can have a keyboard or no keyboard. Its very easy to use.. love the features.. This is the best phone ive had.. they need a versa 2 or something.. I would totally reccomend this phone.. You can sync music from ur computer.. has games pre-installed on it like Need for speed. Mine rarely ever freezes (only wen ur trying to send and recieve text at same time) the camera editor is cool to

Pros

• Detachable Keyboard
  • Music sync
  • Easy to use

Cons

• keyboard ugly
  • cant sync music anymore

Kellyx565
posted on 15 Jun 2010, 16:49

Terrible Disappointment

I've had this phone since the day it came out, and everyday I hate it more and more. I had a simple phone before but decided to spring for the nicest newest phone out there. I miss my old simple flip phone with no touch screen. The touch screen is so terrible that I'm forced to use the ugly huge keyboard. This phone is the size and weight of a brick, and with the brown cover it even resembles one.

My main issue with the phone is the camera. I bought it because it had a high megapixel camera, but nearly every picture gets lines through it, and there is no way to just point and shoot with this phone. When you click the button to take a picture it takes about 12 seconds for the picture to actually take. When you have shutter sound on, the sound will go off, and everyone moves from where they were, when the picture won't actally take until 4 seconds after the shutter sound goes off.

The four menus ended up being annoying because they never stayed on the main menu with all my shortcuts, the turned around all the time.

the only good things about this phone are the ability to draw and the fact that the army ranger suit of a keyboard makes the thing unbreakable

mastermind1514
posted on 19 Nov 2009, 19:25

LG VERSA

I have had this phone since August and i really love it. It does everything i want and i can take the keyboard off whenever i want to so it will fit in my pocket. The only problem i have encountered was the first battery i had for the phone wouldn't hold a charge, so i just took it to verizon and they gave me a new battery. Other than that it is a great phone.

Pros

• Great design
  • 3 home screens
  • web browser works really well
  • pretty good camera

• only 1 display theme

mitchythepatriot
posted on 10 Oct 2009, 16:25

i really like it

a great upgrade from my original enV......could hav a better software but i like it anyway. i like the fact that it has a detachable/atachable keyboard but it isnt very attractive.....the phone alone is very slim and stylish. at first texting on the touch screen was hard but i got used 2 it. wen i hav hockey games or i do anything where i could drop it i will put the case on it, it is very durable. all-in-all, the versa is a very modern, stylish, and easy phone and i wood recomend it 2 any1!!!

Pros

• texting is awesome
  • slim, stylish design

Cons

• case is bulky and unattractive but is great for texting(idk if this is really a con.....)

Courtney Young
posted on 03 Sep 2009, 14:13

I've had the phone since April 28th 2009 and it's a really cool phone.  After seeing my phone a lot of people I know went out and got one.  I love the detachable keyboard.  I had the DARE previously and sometimes a full touch screen phone txting becomes a little annoying.  I love the different screen and the music player.  The pictures come out great.  I live on fb so the internet works great as well.  There aren't a lot of accessories for this phone I wish they would come in different colors.  Love the phone but I'm switching to the Env Touch because it has more accessories and is comprobable to the versa.  I'm gonna miss it though!!! It was the first phone that kept me away from a blackberry.  Even the DARE couldn't do that.

Pros

• Everything else thats not stated in the Cons.....Its a GREAT PHONE!

Cons

• Battery Life not all that bt really what phones now a days do have great battery life.
  • NO zoom with camera.
  • When dropped everything goes everywhere.

Frankenstein
posted on 02 Jul 2009, 11:21

Versa is an amazing phone

Perhaps if you people would bother to get the new firmware updates, you would see a problem with this phone.  I've had it since launch, and i'm on firmware v. 04 and the new widgets make the phone even more enjoyable.  The games are even impressive with the touch screen and all.  I find that the touchscreen on this phone is ten times better than the dares.  And if you haven't tried to do something with the phone, please call customer service instead of sitting in front of your computer posting half baked remarks.

Pros

• Widgets
  • Games
  • Touchscreen
  • Music Playback Quality
  • Camera and Videocamera Quality

Cons

• Lack of Applications

posted on 23 May 2009, 17:52

Value is great

It's a really cheap cell phone.. I've had barely any problems with it, and it turns on and off really fast.
This phone is JUST like the Dare, but cheaper... i got a free upgrade off of a website, so it's a great value..dare would've cost me $200

Pros

• cheap, good features, overall good phone

Cons

• calls get transmitted 90% of the time

Tone
posted on 21 May 2009, 22:26

Love this phone.  I am very suprised to see a few people having issues with it.  I'v had mine for 2 months and I have not experienced any of the issues stated in any of the other reviews.  I use this phone for all of its intended purposes as too.  I use the music player on a daily basis.  I check my bank info online and I also use facebook on my Versa.  I have my Gmail account on here too.  GREAT PHONE!

Pros

• Great Size. Responsive touchscreen. Very customizable.

Cons

• Battery life is ok but not great.

gilbert
posted on 20 May 2009, 06:49

this phone has many problems!!!

I have used for 2 weeks..but I have experienced 7 lockup and 5 power off.
this phone has many problems!!!, I also saw all sound didn't work, if playing music in this state, phone is lockup.
I cann't remember how I reproduce it, because lockup happened randommly.
I will NEVER use this.

Pros

• touch is good,

Cons

• battery , many problems

Phoenix Dude
posted on 18 May 2009, 19:25

What's up with this phone?!?

I had this phone for 2 weeks and have to say, I HATED it! The detachable QERTY Keyboard was great to use when texting but REALLY!?! It had to be the most UNATTRACTIVE "case" a phone could have. Leatherette? If it was an attempt to make it corporate looking, FAILURE, and really, look at the people who are buying this sort of phone. We really do not want a black fake leather case with a SMALL screen telling the time or if there is a call coming in. Plus, try to dial in to VOICEMAIL when using the case. Nothing like retrieving voicemail or talking on this thing when it is open. So, I detached the QERTY keyboard. This led to constant phone freezes AND try typing on that touch keyboard. I had to back up though just about every word I typed to get the correct letter.
So, I switched to the DARE. The slightly larger size makes texting do-able. While Versa had the 3D touch, I am so far happier using a phone that I can actually text, retrieve voicemail, and make calls on.

Pros

• QERTY Keyboard
  • 3D Touch

Cons

• Unattractive "Case"
  • Inconvenient to retrieve Voicemail
  • Phone Freezes
  • Terrible Battery Life

kristy
posted on 13 May 2009, 16:11

love it!

ok so i love my versa. some people have problems with theirs but not me and besides every phone is different even if it is the same type of phone. the camera is good, the touch is amazing, the menus are fun and now i get to have 4-5 different pictures displayed at once instead of only 2, i haven't used the detachable keyboard yet but that's because it's ugly and i am so use to t9 i just use the touch keyboard, btw I just cut my finger nails and that made typing a little harder but it's still good. and lastly this phone is so sexy it crazy its so sleek and so nice and i personally love that it has a tint of brown which sets it apart, so my advice if you are buying this phone and are kind of a klutz like me then you should get some sort of cover and or at least get a screen protector cause i have a feeling the screen scratches easy and i don't know your life or anything but this thing coast my parents $200 so i want to keep it a prefect as possible. but all in all i love my phone! p.s. you can't change the theme on the phone which kinda sucks.

Pros

• camera has a lot of options
  • touch screen
  • hard keyboard option for people who want to go that route
  • the different menus and being able to customize them
  • thin
  • slick
  • sexy
  • black but brownish in the light
  • being able to sort texts by contact makes life easyer
  • it's not the enV 2!!!! (i hate that phone!)

Cons

• looks very scratchable so be careful
  • texting is a little harder with short nails
  • short battery life

posted on 09 May 2009, 16:14

phone had promise

had the phone for almost 4 weeks now and initially the phone was great, but after receiving my third phone a few days ago it was clear this phone has a major flaw. the phone constantly locks up from missed calls and text messages. only a battery pull will resolve the issue. clearly a firmware update is needed, but i will not be sticking around to see it.

Pros

• touch screen works well

Cons

• phone constantly locks up from missed calls and text messages

barry
posted on 05 May 2009, 10:17

great phone but after three of them i had to go back to my old phone. all three had the same problem, they lock up  on missed calls and frequently on incoming text messages. screen locks up with backlite on and drains battery.

Roger Montano
posted on 02 May 2009, 19:44

1.3

Not the greatest

I expected more from a phone like this. The screen is tiny and not all that responsive. Got bored from it within the first week.

Maria Chaidez
posted on 02 May 2009, 19:39

Worst phone I ever had

My Voyager was better than this. Whats with the detachable keyboard? Why couldnt they just built it in. The touchscreen sucks, camera isnt that great, and its awkward trying to type on the real keyboard. Definitely trading this phone back in.

Laura
posted on 26 Apr 2009, 20:09

Its a great phone

I got the versa just a few days after it came out and i LOVE it. It's a ggreat upgrade from my Chocolate 1. And it's better than the voyager. It has a very rsponsive touch screen and I love all the features.

The only bad thing about it is since yesterday, it just randomly shuts off when it wants. Besides that, it's a great phone.