LG Shine CU720 User Reviews

just me
posted on 18 Feb 2011, 11:03

Really Do Like this Phone!

just me has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Have had this for over 2 years now. Family plan, so we had 4 of them. OK, teenage son dropped his down a stairwell @ school, and it got stepped on. Actually still worked despite that. The metal case is a huge advantage both for reception and sturdiness. The battery has not been a big problem until recently (after 2 years, any phone I've ever had needs to be charged daily). The ringer volume is a little lower than I'd like & the speaker quality is poor. But for my purposes (after all, it was a free phone from AT&T!), I am very pleased.

Pros

• Sturdy, good reception

Cons

• speaker could be better

Gagu
posted on 06 Mar 2010, 03:09

WORST!

This phone has a very nice design. Nice looking and looks very classy especially the silver one.
But c'mon?
The BATTERY is a JOKE men! I have to charge it everyday while my old Nokia is being punished
with MUSIC PLAYBACK in Loudspeaker, VIDEOS, 30minutes of CALLS, UNLIMITED TEXTING, Snapping
pics just to fool around but it can stand for 2days.
This LG cu720 is a big big big DOWN for LG.
And the Loudspeaker of this Phone is also a Big JOKE. I can't even hear the Music or video i am listening
even if its only i front my my face.
No Profiles where you can automatically switch from LOUD to SILENT MODE or your Preferences. You
have to go to the SETTING over and over again to change the volume or Tone. Waste of time for a
Busy man when going to a meeting. You have to click so many times just to put phone on silent mode.
SIGNAL is BAD
KEYPADS are so frustrating to use.
NO HEADSET IN PACKAGE. It doesn't have a 3.5MM JACK! I STILL HAVE TO LOOK FOR A LG COMPATIBLE HEADSET! THAT SUCKS!
WORST WORST WORST WORST MOBILE PHONE EVER HAD!
Im really disappointed with my money. I should have bought a NOKIA again.

Pros

• Good looking design
  • Nice CAMERA

Cons

• POOR SOUND QUALITY
  • POOR LOUDSPEAKER
  • POOR KEYPADS!
  • POOR RECEPTION
  • NOT USER FRIENDLY
  • HEAVY AND VERY FRAGILE TO HOLD
  • UNCOMFORTABLE to PALM
  • NO PROFILES TO SWITCH FROM SILENT TO LOUD
  • ALL IN ALL IT IS A POOR PHONE WITH RICH LOOKING BODY

RodThaBod
posted on 13 Feb 2010, 20:33

Don't bother with this phone

Ringer is so low , if it is in another room or 10 feet away , you won't hear it. Middle scroll bar is poorly designed. You will scroll and it will take you in all sorts of places you don't want. Buttons are crowded and you are always hitting the wrong buttons. Just a terrible phone. Camera takes very good pictures and that is pretty much it. If you have large fingers as I do , stay away!!!!!!

Pros

• Camera , makes LG money. Nice size display.

Cons

• Ringer is way too low. Crowded buttons , navigation button will take you places you don't want to go .

Janice
posted on 23 Jan 2010, 16:45

2.7

The worst phone I ever had

I got this phone in August of last year. It is the worst phone I ever had. The keys sometimes get stuck and the screen freezes up. The battery is a joke. If I talk for 30 minutes, I have to charge the battery. I have to charge it every night or I won't have much battery time the next day. Sometimes the phone won't ring, because it's frozen. I have to take the battery out to get it to start working again. Please don't buy this phone. I thought I was getting a deal when I bought it. It's not a deal.

Pros

• I did drop it a couple of times. It still works. This phone has good weight to it.

Cons

• The screen freezes up so you have to remove the battery to start it up again. Battery life is not long.

posted on 09 Nov 2009, 18:40

2.3

This phone was the biggest waste that L.G. could have made!!! the screen flashes on and off. it freezes. the buttons are so small that if find my self canceling messages or calls. i have the worst reception compared to another at&t phone. atleast a few times a day my phone will throw some crazy code as and excuse not to do something. that stupid joy stick thing is annoying!!! this is my second shine the first one did the same crap and they sent me a replacement that was worse than the one i sent them!!! it may take good pictures but isn't worth the headache that comes with it.

Pros

Cons

• everything the phone does

Tara Winters
posted on 01 Sep 2009, 00:03

It's great

Ok I've had mine for over a year, I've thrown it at the wall, dropped it on concrete and it still works as good as the day I got it. I dont know what kind of shine everyone else got but mines great. plus it's memory holds alot.!! The only real problem I have is Leaving it on all the time. As long as I turn it off once in a while the battery holds and it doesnt turn off by it's self

Pros

• Memory
  • Storage
  • Ability to withhold damage

posted on 21 Aug 2009, 13:08

Sucky

Mkay, I've had this phone for a little over a year and I'm starting to hate this phone.. The screen is cool at first, but scratches really easy and it looks crappy now.. Second, the battery life is horrible. Yeah, I probably do close to 1,000 texts a day but around 600 messages it will be at low battery. I charge it everynight and sometimes a second time in the middle of the day. Its horrible. Some of my buttons don't click, you just brush it and it registers so it makes texting hard to do. So if you text or call alot, I wouldn't reccomend this phone to you.

tennisgirl993
posted on 27 Jul 2009, 23:39

1 YEAR AND DONE!

I have had the LG Shine for a little over a year and it sucks! I loved the phone for the first few months but after that it started messing up and get worse and worse as it gets older! The screen goes black all the time, it freezes, music and pictures take forever to load, HORIBBLE RECEPTION (where all other phones from at&t get service the shine will NOT), buttons are tiny, and joystick is super sensitive! I do like the camera, and look of the phone but thats about it. If I had it to do over agian I would not purchase this phone.

Pros

• Color, Camera

Cons

• everything else.

posted on 03 Jul 2009, 00:20

the worst phone i had in one year

it is horrible it has ywo many glitches it sux the botton are horrible i hate it people once u have the phone for a hole year u will knlw what im saying right now u cant send mucic and the texting sux  the motoactv is better then this peice of crap

Amanda Layne
posted on 13 Jun 2009, 01:16

Beautiful!

Ok I just got this phone this week, but I got the TU720 version, which has the two cameras. I got mine in pink and I absolutely LOVE it. The mirror finish is really great. I love it :D The sound isn't bad on the phone to me. I think it's really good actually. The phone doesn't smudge too bad, it's easy to just wipe off with a cloth. I keep mine in a case so it doesn't get scratched. The camera on this phone is also INCREDIBLE. It takes such amazing shots. I'm attaching some pictures I took with the phone as well.

Overall I definitely recommend this phone, especially over the SE W580.

Pros

• Mirror
  • Color
  • Screen size
  • Sturdy slider
  • MicroSD slot
  • AMAZING camera

Cons

• Hmm....it heats up when it's charging.
  • I've had to charge it twice since I got it (I've had it for about four days now) but I do use the camera A LOT on it.
  • Pictures in the dark don't show up too great, even with the flash.

davh747
posted on 07 Jun 2009, 15:36

I have been satisfied with my Shine for the most part.  I bought it the day it came out.  It has a very eye-catching design.  I love the mirror, although it does scratch very easily.  I love slider phones.  My phone, and others who have the Shine say, shuts off by itself sometimes, which can be frustrating.  There is only one speaker that does not ring very loud at all (which is fine with me as I keep my phone on vibrate 99% of the time) Also, I don't think the phone receives signal very well.  I have a hard time getting a signal in places that my previous phone worked (RAZR), and also others in my house with different phones don't have the problem.  I've been satisfied with the Shine but I am definitely ready for a new phone when my upgrade comes in a few months.

• Mirror
  • Sturdy
  • Slider
  • Looks like a camera

Cons

• Poor reception
  • Bad sound quality
  • Shuts off by itself

kent025
posted on 05 Jun 2009, 23:13

i got rid of my razr!!

i love this phone i love the way it slides up and down i love the camera and mirror effect

Pros

• mirror
  • nice camera
  • 4gb support
  • most people dont like the navagation stick but its easy to use

Cons

• small keyboard
  • music quality sucks it dosent play loud at all

PhoneReviewer
posted on 31 May 2009, 19:10 (Posts: 0; Member since: 31 May 2009)

Pretty Good Phone

This is not a bad phone. It has a nice camera and you can text easily. It has a microSD slot so you can play music (in which i do A LOT). The toggles a little hard to get used to, but I got used to it in about a week. About the only thing i can say that's bad about this phone is the battery life. But this mainly only happens when you talk on it. But i usually text more than talk so it doesn't bother me a lot. So I would reccomend this phone to someone.

• Texting
  • Music
  • Easy to use

Tiffany
posted on 25 May 2009, 10:35

very Bad

This is a terrible phone!! I have had it for a little over a year now and I treat it very good, but it has ALOT of problems!!!
1. The screen freezes up... alot!
2. The bluetooth does NOT work!
3. The screen goes black very OFTEN!!... Not like the way it does when you leave it alone for a while. it goes black and stays black
4. It has TERRIBLE service!
5. It Drops calls ALOT... Sometimes it doesnt even ring when you are recieving a call and then it says 1 missed call.
6. The buttons are TINY!
7. The phone wiggles ALOT like side to side wiggling
8. When you try to send a picture it usually comes back with "Internal Error 22" or it say "No service" when you have service (No not just the icon for service, but the bars too)
Now the good things!!!!
1. Its durable
2. It has a good camera
3. It has a nice look

Pros

• Its in my review!!!!

Cons

• the Cons are in my review too!!!

phonezoo101
posted on 10 Apr 2009, 10:25

good phone

i had this phone for about 1 year now and i love it. The camera is actually pretty good and it has flash which i love. Texting is super easy but one thing i don't like is that sometimes when texting and your about to go over with the center button, if you press it too hard the message will send without me finishing it. It's also a good size for a phone not too big or not too small. I deffinatley think you should get it.

Pros

• good screen
  • good size
  • good texting
  • good camera
  • camera flash
  • you can change settings

Cons

• if you press the center button too hard to o over while texting, the message might send without you finishing it=/

dewdreamsimpress
posted on 11 Mar 2009, 17:50

Good

This phone has been very good to me. I've had it for a year now and i have had no problems. I drop it all the time on concrete, its been dropped in the water trough, and stepped on by my horse, I have no scratches or cracks in it! Its very durable and can stand a lot of use. Its ok for texting but its easy to hit the wrong key cause there so close together.

• Durability
  • Memory

Cons

• Ringtone
  • Texting

watermeloooon
posted on 18 Feb 2009, 08:03

Mixed

Well the phone is good and bad.  But I guess it is a pretty good phone over all.
I was trying to put a PIN code on my phone but I guess I did the wrong one when I thought it was right and it automatically sent this PUK code on my phone. Well I looked up PUK and it said dont attempt over 10 times you could do permanent damage to your SIM card. So great now Im stuck with this untill I find out what im going to do. The phone will not let you do anything, unless it is an emergency.

Pros

• Somewhat easy to use. Mirror [[iguess]]. Slider Phone. Good camera. Good features

Cons

• Battery life.

dhtroy
posted on 30 Nov 2008, 21:04

Review LG Shine CU720

I just recently selected an LG Shine when I resigned with AT&T. I choose the phone in Black, as I'm not a huge fan of colored phones; plus, Black goes with everything and looks professional.
The phone feels very sturdy, and the mechanics used for the slide have a strong feel to them; hopefully it will last a good long while (my last phone lasted me 4 years).
I'm not crazy about the 'mirror' that's on the face of the phone, as it seems like it would scrach easily, so I plan on getting a stick on cover to protect it; frankly, I'd rather not have the mirror, but it wasn't an option.
A majority of the navigation through the system menus is performed with the inset 'joy stick' in the center of the phone. This is probably the one feature of this phone I almost cannot stand. It really takes some practice, to get the hang of pushing on navigation joystick just right, as I was initially selecting things I didn't intend to select, and was getting frustrated by it's design. While you can use the numeric keypad on the phone to choose the various menu items, it doesn't make this task any easier. I personally feel if they had made the 'head' of the navigation joystick smaller in size, it might make it easier to push it in the correct direction with a finger. But this isn't a 'deal breaker', just a learning curve.
The LCD screen is excellent. Bright and easy to read, with a large face to it, even with my poor eyesite, I have no problems reading the screen.
The buttons are somewhat difficult...

Pros

• Feels sturdy and solid
  • Great LCD
  • Easy menu system
  • Has a camera that takes pictures/video
  • Overall a good phone

Cons

• Navigation Joystick tricky to use and not customizable
  • Flat numeric keyboard not good for texting
  • Little plastic cover thingie for charger port is lame
  • AT&T customization of phone, does not allow you to disable internet connectivity directly from the phone

posted on 18 Nov 2008, 08:54

ive been reading reviews for the shine for several weeks and i finally purchased one recently.  Overall the look is wonderful. i have the silver shine. The feeling is sturdy and comfortable. Some problems i didnt like was the ringtone.  You can't customize the message alert tone, and you can only have certain file size for ringtones. something like under 300kb.  The camera is a lil frustrating sometimes because of the steadiness.  You have to have a steady hand to take pictures or else there will be blurness.  The joystick is comfortable and doesnt require alot of pressure to navigate. Sometimes, there would be lags, where i select something and it takes a while to select it, but they only last a couple of seconds and the lags don't bother me. the multitasking option is convienent because i'm always texting someone and when i receive a message my task is put aside so i can come back to it. This also happens when ur doing other things. Also when recording a video, the screen minimizes. overall this phone looks really good,  the performance works great for me. Ive only had it for a couple of days, so i don't know if it scratches a lot yest. Also, the so-called "mirror" is really good looking, but doesnt clearly work as a mirror. texting is average

Pros

• Great looks, multitasking options, performance and organization, good navigation

Cons

• lags, not so great camera, minimal ringtone options

posted on 12 Nov 2008, 11:33

ide like this phone alot if it didnt screw up on everybody, there is a common issue with the shine, when you slide it closed, it will automatically shutdown. and it wont go through t poweroff stage, it will just boot off. and i missed alot of calls because of it. plus it isnt loud at all, and u cant text for shit on it. so beware, cuz im not the only one with the shutdown issue.

Pros

• tough

Cons

• glitchy
  • not loud
  • bad for texting

Kasey
posted on 17 Oct 2008, 12:49

This phone is pretty good. I got my phone because I loved the way it looked. The camera is amazing. It takes pretty awesome pictures! I took it to a concert & it's clear as day. There are a few things I absolutely hate about this phone and one being how easily the screen gets scratched ;; two, how audio isn't played very loud. My friend has the razr 2 and his songs BLARE while mine are not even half as loud as his. Last, I hate how myspace mobile shows up on the phone. =\ When I go to reply to a message it doesn't send it to the wanted recipient. It sends it back to me. Also, you can only view your top friends, not all. That's sad.

The memory is great! The phone overall is pretty good. I give it a 7.

Pros

• camera, memory, look, slide effect, ++ more.

Cons

• audio soundback, myspace mobile, & how easily scratched.

posted on 16 Oct 2008, 15:57

i love this phone.!!!!!!

i don't know what you guys are complaining about. this phone has really everything. the texting is great. the only thing is u can't record ur own ringtone, but alll u have to do is send it to ur self in tect messaging and set it. its not that hard to get used to.!

Pros

• everything.!! this phone is the best i have ever had and i have had a lot.!

Cons

• u can't directly record something and set it as a ringtone. but u just have to send it through text and it should work.!

Big Money P
posted on 11 Sep 2008, 17:46

I Dont know why I got this LG Shine

I bought the Black Lg Shine and at first I was excited but the day I bought it I was not able to send text messages or surf the web. I was going to go back to the AT&T store the next day but I didnt cause after I restarted the phone it started to work just fine. but about a week ago I was at work and tried to call one of my workers but it kept on saying call ended over and over again. It wouldnt let me do a single call then I tried to text a friend and it said sevice not available. that day my phone did not work all day. then I put it to charge and it started to work again. and today my phone shows no bars and it says that I have no service and I have been paying my bills I actually have 2 phones under this plan and the other is working just fine except for the LG Shine.

Pros

• Its a nice looking phone thats why I got it. It does have a lot of memory and is a good mp3 player. I also love the camera for taking pictures

Cons

• it never works I keep on getting dropped calls
  • I dont like how the screen is small when you record videos. and I cant zoom in while taking pictures, I can only zoom in when recording videos.
  • the screen scratches really easily. and you cant really use the mirror to look behing you, cause it looks warped basicly you can only look at your self if you look straight on.

Anna
posted on 07 Sep 2008, 17:36

i like it

i have had mine for about two months.  overall i think it is a very nice phone.  the joystick is a little weird, but i got used to it.  i wish it was more rubbery rather than metal because it kinda made my thumbs sore.  the number shortcuts for the menus are an awesome alternative to using the joystick, though.
the mirror LCD is very durable!  i throw it in my purse with my keys and the screen has absolutely NO scratches on it!  it does grub up pretty easily but i just wipe it down with an LCD cleaning cloth and it looks shiny and new.  the back of the phone, however, got scratched to heck from jewelry and from putting it into a pocket with a metal button.  but that is my fault for not being careful with the phone.  you can order a new back to replace the scratched one anyway.
the phone is nice and heavy.  it feels way more sturdy than any other phone i've checked out.  i like the flat number pad and all of the brushed metal all over it.  i have the silver one.  it looks way cool and it gets tons of attention.  when i go out i look to see if anyone has a cooler looking phone than i do and i don't think anyone does.  ha!
the OS is kinda slow.  i don't like any of the ringtones, so i usually keep her on vibrate.  i have yet to make my own.  the color themes are pretty limited and i'm already sick of all of them.  i can't seem to find any downloadable ones for this model. ...

Pros

• unique design
  • durable and sturdy
  • camera is easy to use
  • large variety of preset background colors
  • variety of clock/calendar displays
  • easy to use
  • works really great with 3G service

Cons

• OS kinda pokey
  • can't move multiple pictures to SD card

posted on 24 Aug 2008, 12:21

shiny and nice decent for its price

my gf has this phone and it randomly shuts off on her but overall its a nice phone. must be a hardware defect.