LG 100C User Reviews

Internet3.8/10
Call quality7.8/10
Battery6.8/10

gorlaw
posted on 29 Jan 2012, 08:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 29 Jan 2012)

Saved my bacon

gorlaw has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Got work in Montana, went out there, and my Net10 LG 620G GSM (T-Mobile sim) would not pick up a signal anywhere. Since the cell phone was absolutely critical to my work, I was beginning to feel like this trip would be a disaster. The local store said only Verizon worked in that area and they had 1 Net10 LG 100C in stock. Bought it, activated it and in less than 10 minutes I had a working cell phone. It isn't a smart phone, it lacks features that more expensive phones have, the browser isn't anything to write home about, but in two areas that I absolutely have to have, it worked great. Excellent call quality and extremely easy to use and fast texting.

Build quality 7/10 Average build quality, but the phone feels solid, not flimsy.
Reception 10/10 Excellent reception out in the boondocks on Verizon's wireless network.
Call quality 10/10 Crystal clear call quality. Could not believe it on such a basic phone. Much better than I would have expected.
Internet 3/10 The phone has a browser. You can get on the web, but don't expect to enjoy your experience there on this phone.
Multimedia 2/10 Theoretically you can receive MMS on this phone. I never have. No music options or video options.
Camera 1/10 No camera on this phone.
UI speed 5/10 User interface is pretty standard Net10 fare. You can change from grid to list. Menu navigation is pretty simple.
Everyday usage 10/10 Great phone for its intended purposes: phone calls and texting. If you like games, apps and multimedia (camera, music etc), this phone is not the phone for you.
Text input 10/10 Easiest text messaging I have ever used. Nice big keys, choice of entry mode, editable templates and can even change callback number.
Display 4/10 Display isn't particularly spectacular if you use the browser, because it's a small screen phone, but perfectly adequate for the phone's intended uses.
Battery 7/10 Standby mode is really great (7 to 10 days without a charge); talk mode seems to drain the battery faster, but I charge this phone every day and it recharges quickly.

Pros

• Great call quality
  • Great texting

joejoe
posted on 16 Jun 2011, 09:47

REASEARCH WORKS!!!

joejoe has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

it is really fun to use for texting it is a blast, for calling there is no better reseption!!!! i love this phone already!!!! it is a great phone and i recomend it for anyone that wants an in expensive phone!! it is a great family phone as well tracfone sells it for 10.00 and net ten sells it for 20.00

nrdygoldfish
posted on 03 Apr 2011, 19:47 (Posts: 0; Member since: 03 Apr 2011)

Good entry level text/talk phone. Not good on battery, intuitiveness of use

nrdygoldfish has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

If you had the Nokia 1100 on Tracfone, and you're transitioning into ST, this is probably the closest version over here.

I used to have a Nokia 1100 from Tracfone, and I wish they offered that on Straightalk, being that it's the same parent company.

As other posters explained, the battery life is disappointing. I'm charging at least once every 2 days, which is high-maintenance for a phone this basic.

I would rather they kept a barebones, black and white display, and save me the nuisance factor of charging, than have the color display.

In theory color display would be good for the internet browser on this phone--
but the browser is so piss poor, it's barely worth mentioning. It takes me 10 minutes just to get into my gmail account!

Another issue is the speaker/microphone quality.
ST has a good network, and indeed, I have never had a dropped call. But I'm always having to yell into my phone for ppl to hear me. And the speaker has a harsh sound.

The analog microphone and speaker on the Nokia 1100 were much crisper and pleasing to the ear, by comparison.

That being said, texting is fairly intuitive on this phone. Though the T9 prompting doesn't 'learn' user word preferences the way that the Nokia did.

Wish the keys were both softer, and quieter, if that makes sense. they sound 'crunchy', which makes it difficult to discreetly text in meetings/church/funerals and so forth.

On the plus side, it's durable. I'm dropping mine all the time, and it keeps going.

Build quality 9/10 hasn't broken yet, and I've dropped it quite a bit.
Reception 7/10 perhaps because of my network, I don't have trouble with dropped calls. It's very rarely 'fuzzy', and when it is, it's usually a person with an iPhone in manhattan. screw u AT&T
Call quality 2/10 Don't like the speaker sound. very tin-y, and harsh on the ear. either I can't hear anything at all, or my ear's aching after the call. The microphone isn't so good, either. doesn't seem to have a wide range. if I'm not directly talking into it, even on speakerfone, it won't pick up my voice
Internet 1/10 worst, most minimal browser, ever. .001 G, as best I can determine. Do NOT buy the phone for this browser. you will be sorely dissapointed
Multimedia 3/10 eh, there's some ringtones on there. not super, tho

Pros

• Cheap
  • no camera if you have security clearance
  • intuitive design

Cons

• terrible battery life, given it's minimal functionality

nrdygoldfish alternatives:

Sammy77
posted on 24 Oct 2010, 06:40 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Oct 2010)

Good for the basics

Sammy77 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I need a phone for talking and texting only. Firstly I chose this phone because it was a tracfone (I need the coverage), and had double minutes to go with that. Secondly, it's a small tidy little phone, that appeals to my put-it-in-the-pocket-and-run way of life. Thirdly, it was extremely cheap, which appealed to my pay-as-little-as-possible mentality.
The phone's buttons are big, and texting is easy. That goes for navigating through the menu as well. It's a very simple and basic phone. It does have a browser, if you were inclined to squint at the screen. For my purposes the screen is plenty big. But if you were intending to browse for an hour, I'm sure you would develop serious squinty eyes. Further more, the button activating the browser is actually very annoying. Or at the very least, I get very annoyed with myself for accidentally pressing the wrong button...again. After mucking about on the phone I did find out how to disable the browser - it's in the security settings. Just restrict the data.
I've never had a dropped call, which is impressive if you stay where I do. I do not know if I should acredit this to the phone, or tracfone - regardless, it's great not to have reception problems.
The battery life could be better. The phone's not that old, and I have to charge it every three days. I've been used to better than that.
Other than that, it's a great basic phone.

Multimedia 2/10 none
Camera 2/10 no camera
UI speed 2/10 what does ui mean?

Pros

• small and light
  • great coverage
  • easy texting

Cons

• battery life could be better
  • browser button activated too easily

phonecollector
posted on 06 Oct 2010, 20:31

oldy but a goody

This is one of my older phones.  As a phone collector i have seen and used numerous phones.  This phone is one of the phones i like best.  The reason i like this phone so much could have something to do with the tracfone service which this phone operates on which is so amazing.  I reccomend this phone with all of my heart.

CassieM
posted on 29 Dec 2009, 18:10 (Posts: 1; Member since: 29 Dec 2009)

Perfect entry-level phone on Straight Talk prepaid

I got one of these for my mom and thought I'd post my thoughts here. This is the perfect entry level phone on my favorite prepaid plan: Straight Talk.The LG 100c is a very basic candy-bar style phone, and it’s also VERY light and compact. It’s just 2.45 ounces, and measures 4.09 x 1.80 x 0.50 inches. It’s also light on features – it does have a browser, hands-free speaker, and some basic organizational tools, but that’s about it. It does not have bluetooth, camera, mp3 player or games. But seeing as my mom will definitely not be wanting any of those features is is exactly what she is likely to need/want. The simplicity of this phone is the biggest draw - especially for older people, not used to cell phone technology. This phone combined with the $30 Straight Talk plan gives excellent value - reliable service without bells & whistles.

Pros

• Simple but reliable using Straight Talk prepaid plan
  • Easy to use

Cons

• Limited features - no camera, bluetooth or music player.