Kyocera Melo S1300 User Reviews

Andrew R
posted on 12 Apr 2011, 08:16

Great phone for the price and the purpose!

Andrew R has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I picked this phone up as a quick replacement when my previous phone died. I needed something cheap that I could replace soon after when I had done some research. As it turns out, this little phone is very reliable for making calls, and is pretty good for texting as well. I guess when you get a phone that is as bare bones as this, it has less things that can go wrong with it!
The biggest problems for me are that it doesn't have a camera or bluetooth, and it is terrible at browsing the web. I was used to using a downloaded Opera Mini web browser at EVDO rev. 0 speeds on my old phone, so moving to an RTT with a TERRIBLE built in browser hurt a little. Apart from these shortcomings, I think that this is a very functional phone, and is a great buy for the price.

The bottom line is that if you're looking for a phone that does more than very basic calling and texting, or if you are someone who has a lot of contacts, this phone is probably not for you. On the other hand, if you want a reliable little phone that has above average reception and can be purchased for very very little, this phone should definitely be on your shortlist!

Build quality 7/10 This is a sturdy, although cheaply built bar phone that can withstand quite a lot of abuse without causing problems.
Reception 9/10 This phone has above average reception and almost never drops calls in my experience.
Call quality 8/10 While not perfect, the call quality is quite acceptable.
Internet 2/10 While this phone does browse, it does so at excruciatingly slow speeds. Also, the only option is to use the built in browser which has a tendency to not render pages properly.
Multimedia 7/10 Not applicable, gave it the average rating by rounding down.
Camera 7/10 Not applicable, gave it the average rating by rounding down.
UI speed 8/10 This phone is about as bare bones as it gets which means that the UI is pretty quick.
Everyday usage 9/10 For functional everyday use, with the exclusion of the internet, this phone is very good. It is small, easily holds a 2 day charge, even with relatively heavy use, and is good for making phone calls and sending text messages.
Text input 7/10 There are some quirks in the predictive text since the Melo doesn't use T9, but it still learns words and is predictable once you learn how to use it.
Display 8/10 The display, while not good by most phone standards, is bright and clean which is all that is needed for a phone that is basically only used for texting and making calls.
Battery 9/10 Battery life has never been an issue for me with this phone, even with multiple 1-2 hour long conversations in the course of 2 days.

Pros

• CHEAP
  • Almost never drops calls
  • Good battery life
  • Durable
  • Very functional for simply making calls, and sending/recieving texts

Cons

• Slow internet and bad browser
  • No bluetooth
  • No camera

h wortman
posted on 26 Jul 2010, 11:37

Not that great

I guess this phone is okay for what it is.  Unfortunately I think the problem is more with the system here in the Richmond outskirts.  When at home I have one half a bar.  when the phone rings it actually hangs up on people. In most instances it just sends them to voice mail.  I think I will be in deep trouble should I ever have to call 911

aakilah
posted on 20 Jun 2010, 16:50

My old phone

I hated this phone very much.I was very glad when i got a new phone.This phone was very strong yes,but i couldn't receive picture message.Also I could barely text with this phone it made very loud noises.But i have to say this phone has great singal reciption .I never dropped a call with this phone.

Pros

• It is a very strong phone.It has great singal service

Cons

• It had no camera. You couldnt see pictures online.

B Cleeland
posted on 05 May 2010, 15:57

Harry C

This phone ROCKS!!!  I've had it for a little over a year, it has been dropped at least a hundred times -battery and back pop off- you put them back on and keep going, never a problem. It's tiny,reception is excellent in the SF Bay area. Virgin Mobile has great cheap rates and no contract. Phone has a calculator, tip calculator, calendar, voice memo, stopwatch, timer, alarm, world clock and memo pad. MOST IMPORTANTLY, it works great as a phone, LOL, you'd be suprised how many phones don't. Oh, and if I DO manage to break it? Sheesh, I'll have to go out and spend $10.00 on another one. This phone ROCKS!

Pros

• See above

Cons

• No Bluetooth

Rick
posted on 15 Dec 2009, 02:33

melo S1300

as phone good reception, easy to use, small in size. for the price above average  online and off. online email  better than average offline email good but can't view images or visit links. great mms and picture messaging ability. I use mine as primary phone and at this posting have been using almost a year averaging 500+ minutes/month air time and much data time. take a beating and continues to work well. bought secondhand backup but havent needed.  CONS: java is sketchy and heat buildup with heavy data use. heat can become massive if charging while browsing, especially if holding flat in palm.  OVERALL I like this phone and would recomend to anyone with common sence.

Pros

• durable, easy use, downloads, add voice to pic msgs, decent brwser, price

Cons

• part time java and battery heat

Becka
posted on 04 Mar 2009, 02:49

I love this little phone

Its small, great reception, and easy to use!

Pros

• very good sound quality

Cons

• cant get loopt