HTC P4000 Titan User Reviews

MrRush
posted on 02 May 2011, 20:58

Great Fall back phone

MrRush has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone is built like a tank. I've had it for 5 years now and it still keeps going. I had to resort back to it after my HTC TP2 took a swim in the pacific. Its best if you load a custom ROM on it. Currently I’m running Ryan mogul’s ROM and this phone runs better then my TP2. Reception is sketchy, and isn’t really stable. I stream Sirius radio with it but it struggles to keep up when your moving in a car. Like I said this phone has had many drops, once in a puddle of anti freeze and a few times in the snow. Keyboard has started to die on me but nothing couldn’t be lived without given the age of the phone.

Pros

• Great Build quality
  • on a custom rom OS is smooth

Cons

• Call volume
  • unstable signal strength
  • no 3.5mm headphone jack.

MrRush alternatives:

Happy Happy
posted on 24 Jul 2009, 10:15

I first got the HTC 6800 because I needed something with a full keyboard and windows mobile. This phone came with that and then some! The internet sharing feature allows me to plug my phone into my laptop and it gives my laptop high speed internet. I can also send texts while in internet sharing. The activesync feature also allows me to transfer information from my desktop to laptop (or any computer with a USB) or store information on my phone. It's only downfall is the size of the keys if you try to text on the screen without using the stylus pen.
I would also recommend buying a phone cover (I paid 4.95 for a hot pink cover but you can find them cheaper) to protect it from scratches. Otherwise my only problem was when my first 6800's slider keyboard was sticking a little, but Cellcom gave me a brand new one to replace it. For free!

Pros

• Extremely customizable, you can change a lot and download different schemes for the phone for free!
  • Loads up fast
  • Battery life is great
  • You can set the phone at different levels to conserve battery power if you need to
  • Phone docking system has a slot for a backup charger to charge on if you have another charger

Cons

• Pictures can be blurry if you move the camera or the camera subject moves.
  • Keyboard slider can begin catching if you drop it a lot.

Nathaniel Johnson
posted on 13 Jul 2009, 17:34

Great phone... after updates!!

I got my 6800 as a replacement for a slider that had an unfortunate meeting with a moving box. On first use this phone is woefully under powered and sucks up RAM faster than any other phone I've ever seen. After going through several forums and help sites I finally stumbled upon the Holy Grail for this phone. Custom ROMs. I upgraded to the standard 6.1 ROM from HTC. Better than the original, but not great. Switched through several different custom ROMs that did everything from make my phone look like an iphone to crash before it would even attempt to boot. Finally landed on a Windows Mobile 6.5 ROM that runs like a dream. I had been looking for months to replace this phone until I found this upgrade, now I'll be hanging on to this one till contract time and I can get something new and shiny!

Pros

• - every feature you could want in a phone / pda
  • - highly customizable, with some learning curve
  • - nice professional look that isn't overly styled
  • - did I mention that you can customize everything about it!!

Cons

• - battery life can be quite short
  • - out of box use is a joke
  • - call volume is very low (before software fix)
  • - RAM and processor often feel underwelming (until upgrade of course)

rachel lombardo
posted on 28 Jun 2009, 16:57

Horrible

I've had this phone for about two years now. i've had many problems with it such as:
-does not ring/vibrate when people call
-keyboard won't work a lot of the time
-touch screen lags a lot
-restarts randomly
-buttons stopped working
-when i do actually get a call for once, the person can hear me talking but i cannot hear anything at all
-now the screen will not come up at all, just black

crogan
posted on 16 Jun 2009, 19:45

DO NOT BUY

Bought the phone one year ago today.  Has been in repair 4 times.  Each time the company sent me a different phone, same model HTC PPC 6800(refurbished)  so that tells me the problem with phone is universal.  The same problem every time, I could hear the person calling but they can’t hear me.   Now my warranty is out, I have another year with US Cellular before my contract is out.  Won’t be going with US Cellular again, not when they replace my brand new phone with someone else’s used one (refurbished).  Now I expect I’ll spend the next year using my phone insurance every three months to keep the phone working.   So in other words I have owned 4 of these phones,  DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE.

Pros

• I want to say the feature are great, but it's a phone; if you can't make a phone call what good it is.

Cons

• Has serious problems

Alex G
posted on 22 Feb 2009, 21:52

WinMo 6.1

with WinMo 6.0, this phone is garbage. i was throughly impressed with WinMo 6.1. every problem i had was fixed

Pros

• Nice screen
  • Big, rubber keys
  • Office mobile
  • threaded texting

Cons

• size
  • weight
  • doesnt support text over 160 characters

Bowman
posted on 28 Dec 2008, 17:55

XV6800

I was using this phone for the past year until I updated to the Touch Pro but since its still available I will post up the linkes to the video reviews I did and the reveiw of the Windows Mobile 6.1 update.
First Impressions
Part 1
Part 2
Windows Mobile 6.1 Update
Youtube links for HQ Settings for Most

Pros

• Good Size
  • Nice Design
  • Good battery life

Cons

• Can be slow at times
  • Locked downed GPS with Windows Mobile 6.1 update

Amill
posted on 05 Dec 2008, 12:01

About this phones negative reviews....

This phone was released with Windows Mobile 6.0, and with this version of the operating system, there was not enough progam memory to run programs concurrently. Many of the negative things I read about the phone are the direct result of the low amount of ram in this phone. Sprint has released a (free) ROM with WM6.1 and I can tell you that it has made a world of difference. I no longer have to reset my phone everyday or even weekly and my battery can last an entire day if I am semi-frugal.
This phone, with Window Mobile 6.1, and Sprint's unlimited data package ($10.00) is the best thing since sliced bread. It is simply the most usefull gadget I own.

Pros

• Navigation via Google Maps
  • Desktop Web experience via Skyfire (including YouTube)
  • Native Gmail (IMAP wont drain your battery)
  • PTT via Palringo (Pain, but as close as it gets without a Nextel)
  • RDP/VNC clients freely available
  • Flashlight Apps available
  • Plays DivX movies

Cons

• Battery Life, I have four chargers: Home, Work, Car and one misc.
  • Low Program Memory (Much improved with WM6.1)

Aaron L
posted on 27 Aug 2008, 21:23

Almost, but Not Quite

I had this phone for a week and already returned it. This was my first smart phone and I was hoping for a little more. I have played with an iPhone and this phone didn't come close, but I am not going to ATT because their coverage is awful in our area.
I am only going to point out the negatives since these are the reasons I ultimately returned the phone.
- Signal strength was terrible versus my previous phone (Motorola Razr)
- If you don't use the stylus, you'll be selecting a lot things you didn't want to
- Set up an outside e-mail accout and when mail was in my mailbox I did not get a notification. The rep at the cell company duplicated the exact same thing and he could not explain why it was happening. The only was you get a notification is if the phone is in standby mode.
- Clumsy navigation for getting a contact to dial out.
- Did I mention that the signal strength was terrible?
- Sucks battery like there is no tomorrow if using it for web browsing
- You have to lock the screen to prevent random inputs
- Even set at the loudest ring, it could have been louder still.

When you pay $350 for a phone you would expect to have at least the same type of service that you did before, if not better. I did not get that with this phone. The phone is pretty cool looking and I enjoyed getting on the Internet, but for what I paid and what I was paying a month, it was hard to justify in my mind.

posted on 26 Aug 2008, 02:05

6.4

I've had this phone for about 4 months and I'm now selling it on ebay b/c I'm getting the BB Curve!

I think it's with all WINDOWS COMPATIBLE phones, they FREEZE. I have reset my PDA 3 to 4 times a day and I don't even have 3rd party prgrm or a loaded SD card inserted.

It's nerve recking. Sometimes if I'm typing a text..it goes SO SLOW.

I"m aggravated and so I decided to sell this phone on ebay.

With the updated ROM (6.1), I will admit that it MOST DEFINTIELY Improved the Battery life TREMENDOUSLY. Without a doubt.

The sprint TV is so AWESOME too.

Um...but I've had my share of TOUCHSCREEN PHONES. I don't like them anymore.

It just sucks. I"ve had my share with WIndows Compatible phones PERIOD. Time for something new...A BB. I hope I have luck with that.

BYE BYE HTC & Mr. Mogul.

Charles Hollingshed
posted on 12 Aug 2008, 10:36

HTC Mogul - post 6.1 upgade

I shared the same opinions as most of you: constant freezing, short battery life, forced to soft reset 2-3 times daily just to keep the some type of functionality and generally having second thoughts about having made this purchase UNTIL I upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1 update.

Upgrades the operating system from Windows Mobile® 6.0 Professional to Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
Adds Sprint TV
Includes all enhancements incorporated in previous software upgrades including:
EV-DO Rev. A functionality for faster download and upload speeds when utilizing data services wherever EV-DO Rev. A coverage is available.
Advanced GPS functionality including the Sprint Navigation application.
Adds a Task Manager to the Today screen for easier access and management of running programs.
My device has not frozen up since the upgrade about a week ago.
Batter life seemed improved... Hummmm

Joel
posted on 17 May 2008, 15:44

xv6800

I have had the phone for a week. Not once has the alarm gone off at the proper time. In fact, the phone must be "awake" for the alarm to go off, something had to do when it goes into sleep mode every 5 min. The design of the phone is awkward. The ability's of the phone are phenomenal. Over all, I did not like the hardware, but the OS of the phone is super sweet. I do believe that my phone as a bad software version, as the ok button does not consistently work, it randomly picks screens to go to, and there is about a 10 second lag between keyboard and screen.

Sis
posted on 06 May 2008, 08:21

6.4

Windows freeze, battery life issue

Bought this phone in Nov 07. I was debating on a BB or HTC. HTC won out because of wifi feature. I should have gotten the BB. This phone has many neat features that I will never use. Realizing now I only need: phone, text, email and web browsing. All four core features are hard to use and setup on the HTC. To make matters worse windows mobile keeps on freezing up. Programs would not close even after you close it...huh???To reset (unfreeze) windows mobile I would have to remove the battery and power up again, generally rebooting. THis happens at a frequency of once/day. Battery life is terrible even after setting it to be the most efficient. I use the phone approx. 30 mins/day (talk) and about 30mins/day email and browsing, each day I would need to charge it. I cannot go a day without charging it. In January the phone would not power up at all. I have given up on it and bought myself a BB. So far so good with the BB.

burymeinblack
posted on 30 Apr 2008, 23:47 (Posts: 19; Member since: 30 Apr 2008)

Gave up the Razr2 V9M for this...Gladly.

I've had a lot of phones, all incapable of doing what I want them to do. Some I've had have been high style while others are work horses. I gave up a Razr2 V9M for this phone and I gotta say I'm glad. I've had this phone going on a month now and I've HIGHLY customized it and setup all the features the way that I want them to be. I've yet to be disappointed in this aspect. While I did give up picture mail capability I have since found a work around. True, it's a little bit more work than just POINT-CLICK-SEND, but I gladly give all that up for what I have gained. Including dowloading ringtones, themes, pictures and content directly from my favorite web-site. While with my Razr2 I had to do a lot of work for just getting a ringtone on there. Yeah, the slimness of the Razr2 beat the bulkiness of the Mogul, but the gaining of a full QWERTY keyboard more than makes up for that. My Emails are now instantly accessible and my QWERTY keyboard makes answering them a breeze. The touch screen is awesome, can't stop touching it, even if just to see the screen light up. Ha! I was very hesitant at first to make the switch, but now I'm glad I did. The standard web browser does still kills a lot of pages, but installing Opera took care of that. And with some new updates coming from Sprint that'll be fully taken care of soon. Overall, the sound quality of the phone calls I get are excellent, even with only one bar and the EVDO service (My city still doesn't have Rev A) also continues to be speedy...

Alyssa
posted on 27 Apr 2008, 17:31

5.4

Gahh...

I hate this phone. It is slow, and it is wayy too bulky.
I'm tired of it and I can't wait to get a new one..

Black Caesar
posted on 17 Apr 2008, 16:46

I do have this phone for US Cellular and have had it for a week now. There are a lot of positives with this phone...and they all seem great considering this is my first smartphone (upgraded from a RAZR). HOWEVER, like the "normal" customer, I'm going to focus in on a few annoying negatives that really do need to be addressed.

1. HTC's proprietary USB connection. WHY??????? That's the same damn thing Apple does with their computers (because I like to build my own) which is why I've not bought a Mac...yet. But still, a normal miniUSB port would be so much better. Now, if you get this phone and you lose the converter/adaptors that come with it, you have to go online and buy a new one which will cost you around $30. Absolutely ridiculous.

2. This phone should have come with a rubberized casing EXACTLY like what the Motorola QMoto has. That was just an incredible design flaw. While it looks sleek and extremely professional the way it is, a rubber casing would make this lil gem that much more "safe" so it doesn't easily slip out of your hands as mine has done already.

3. WHY IN H*LL IS THE MMS PICTURE MESSAGING CAPABILTIY TURNED OFF??????????????? Again, I have US Cellular so I don't know if they have MMS turned off for all of their smartphones/pdas in their internal servers or if I just need to hack into the registry of my phone and turn on the MMS capabiltiy myself. I DO know for a fact that Sprint telecom has effectively turned OFF the MMS Picture Messaging capability within their...

Albert
posted on 22 Feb 2008, 22:16

Good not great

i have had the phone, with sprint; for bout 3 weeks now. the battery started out only giving me 6 hrs; but as the days rolled on it got better and better, so now i'm up to 8+ hrs per day. i have been very happy with the enternet on this phone. the speed is good, and the rendered page looks very good. the speaker on the phone is very disappointing. i love doin ringtones; but the speaker is soo weak on this smartphone; it makes it look dum, lol. i downloaded an update from the HTC website; and it improved the bluetooth sound a geat deal, i recommend this for all users. another thing that i was disappointed with, was that it doesn't have voice independent voice dial. i was so use too that with my old sanyo, now i got to find a quite dark room to record all these voice commands; and hope they work when im doin 45mph going to work,lol.

Poul Danask
posted on 10 Feb 2008, 16:22

Director

Aewsome, the pefect phone and PDA

decent
posted on 03 Feb 2008, 03:44

descent

In my opinion this pda is great except for sometimes it can operate slowly. I also think that the phone is not much of an update from the last version and i think they could have came out with it quickly. I think that the new style looks great if you like the color blue. The touch screen works good but there's no Vcast which i do not like. You should have the option of Vcast on any phone no matter if you have the capabilities of downloading it on the computer. All in all this phone is great but they could have done a lot more to make it new.

lee green
posted on 27 Jan 2008, 17:21

no java

Good , but no java as microsoft discontinued support for Java in Dec 07.
So Mobil 6.0 doesn't have it and java apps don't work...unless someone
can prove me wrong...

edwin
posted on 28 Dec 2007, 17:53

very good

Was confused to buy a mobile phone, I had three options, iphone, treo 750 and Nokia n95, but he found a defect on each one, the Ipod is very nice, but I do not think that is very functional because it is new and there is no variety of programs for this, the treo 750, good for the brand but has no wi fi integrated processor 300 and N95, a super machine, but I do not like the OS that uses the phone, but that is a super phone it is, but take this choice by htc and I am not really that bad pocket is a very functional, HTC WELL DONE ....

Senor Phone Reviewer
posted on 30 Nov 2007, 20:36

Ehhh....

Upon unboxing the Verizon branded phone one has to wonder one thing....what took so long?

The essential WM6 clone of the 8525 (which had been out around a year) is nothing new to the cell phone arena.

The one plus out of the box is the support for EVDO Rev. A. This bad boy is fast online....buuuuuttt.....not always. What they were thinking putting only 64MB of ram into the unit is beyond me. The obvious lack of RAM is evident in everything from the lag on the screen slide....to bubble breaker often slowing down.

Also, whats with the color scheme? UGLY!!! Someone must have been drunk while designing this one...whats wrong with plain old grey and black? Lets hope for the eventual series of colors that i'm sure will be released in the future (cant be a good phone unless you have 46 different color variations).

The unit itself runs just dandy. Signal strength is good, as is the clarity and speaker volume. The buttons feel a little overly springy and "cheap".

Overall, this has to be looked at as a miss for Verizon, being that the release of the 8925 and even the WM6 update of the 8525 equals or trumps this device in most categories.

Then again, theres a reason people have been waiting for this device. Its the same reason why people don't flock to t-mobile...its the network. You have to love the ready availablity of Verizons 3G network....as opposed to the much more sparse AT&T versions...also, you dont have the 3G to non-3G tower handoff issues that AT&T devices...

agni
posted on 29 Oct 2007, 07:32

Not bad for a US phone....

I Honestly thought it was going to be a little better than it is... It locks/lags anytime I am using the wireless to access files on my networks though I think this might be a WinCE issue

I do like the fact that I can use skype and putty on it that makes my work a little easier, keeps me from having to take a laptop to the bar during the on call shift, but the freekin (\), ($), (alt), (ctrl), etc... are all in the touch screen not on the keyboard which can be a little bit of a PIA, Needs more RAM... But all in all I guess this is the best we can get here in the states... just another reason to move to europe or pressure the US cell companies to stop being such stubborn mules and join the rest of the world... Can I get a "G3"..

reet
posted on 17 Oct 2007, 17:46

very good phone, my first sprint phone after 4 different nextel phones in 2 and a half years. very good signal and nice features.

me
posted on 24 Jul 2007, 22:51

me

Just the negative
NO GPS NO GPS NO GPS, can i say that again, sprint swears that it does but doesn't

it is only gps e911 enabled and requires a blue tooth gps brick to activate gps abilities.

Multiple software issues or at least on mine,.

if you have more then one voicemail it will still only show 1

when in keypad mode and type in a name if you have poor signal it will say no signal can not dial (even tho you have signal)

contact listings do not have a option to do *all* first name last, but instead you have to click each individually to list properly,. and there's no way im doing that on my 450 contacts.

I have experienced multiple laggs depending on what you do, sometimes on the simplest functions such as call to slide etc.

There is no way to adjust keypad number sizes

I can barley go through a day with out recharging the item 3 - 4 times

sprint does not offer the over sized battery online 3rd party only

its hard to impossible to call on the road with large contact lists without voice attachments

its hard to text on the road, and if your a pro you know what i mean

speaker phone sucks and is not loaud

somewhat complicate to change to customized tones and some settings

you can not be in a data transfer (Internet) and get phone calls at the same time (altho i dont think any phone does maybe iphone?)

Overall,. if it had gps id keep it.. but i dont want to carry a tom tom everywhere so its off to the returns,..

try again htc