HTC DROID ERIS User Reviews

Call quality8.3/10
Battery6.5/10

Poppycock
posted on 06 Jul 2011, 19:25

Works well but battery issues

Poppycock has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I've had my phone for quite a while. The features are pretty good. The memory has begun to wear down though but thats to be expected if you don't use a good uninstaller. However, the battery life sucks, and god forbid you have something that updates on a regular basis, cuz our battery won't last more than 4 or 5 hours. Even then it won't last more than 6 if you turn the updates off. I've loved this phone but the battery life is horrid.

Build quality 10/10 I don't know how many times I've dropped this phone and its perfectly fine
Reception 10/10 Verizon has an awesome network
Internet 8/10 A lil slow sometimes but I think that may have been my own bad network or loading multiple webpages at once that did that. It got a bit slower after having it about 2 years
Multimedia 8/10 quality of video is crap but it does what it needs to do well. Images are pretty good
Camera 6/10 quality of video is crap but the images are fine
Everyday usage 10/10 Very versatile cuz of android os
Text input 8/10 every once in a rare while it wouldn't let me type a letter or the words wouldn't show up but the keyboard is a fair size

Pros

• versatile
  • pretty good internet
  • quite a bit of memory
  • Durable

Cons

• Battery life fails!
  • poor video quality

BombshellBooty
posted on 01 Apr 2011, 14:21

Droid Eris is so nice. Better than any phone out there!

BombshellBooty has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

The HTC Droid Eris is AMAZING!!! its the best phone ever created and I will never get rid of it. It's so much faster than ANY phone out there, even now! It reads my mind and even freezes up when I can't think of anything to type. Pull the battery and im good to go! I love pulling my battery!!!!!! I never get 3G service but thats okay cause im a 2G fan!!!!!!!

Pros

• bigger screen than any phone
  • best call quality i've ever had
  • camera is 20MP

Cons

• nothing
  • i'm in love with my eris.

asrr65
posted on 26 Feb 2011, 16:30

Droid Eris

asrr65 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

The droid eris, not as good as most Android Phones. it does have a decent 5 MP camera. the phone is really glitchy and slow thanks to the HTC Sense UI. This is one of the Android phones that really requires root, without it the phone would be too laggy to do really anything on it. i really wish i would have spent an extra few dollars to get a better phone but, it does get the job done though im not completely satisfied with it. i know the phone would run faster if it had the original android os on it without sense. I would not buy another HTC phone again or do I Recommend this phone.

Pros

• No physical keyboard,

Cons

• HTC Sense UI is really slow.
  • HTC sense is really Glitchy

Johnson
posted on 25 Dec 2010, 17:05

Good but not great

Johnson has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

When i first got this phone it was incredible. The customization was endless and the internet was wicked fast. But over time it slowly got worse. It would freeze up and sometimes not work for a couple hours. The virtual keyboard was good but a little to sensitive. Overall it was a great phone but i wouldn't want it again.

Build quality 10/10 Stayed solid even when dropped
Reception 10/10 Verizon is a great network
Internet 10/10 SOOOOOO FAST
Multimedia 10/10 It's the best
Camera 7/10 not great. coulda used a flash
Everyday usage 10/10 Great
Text input 8/10 Little touchy
Battery 6/10 not great

Pros

• Customization
  • Internet Browser
  • Mulitmedia

Cons

• Occasionally froze

jake
posted on 10 Oct 2010, 22:43

alright, i bought this phone because it was cheep and i wasnt rly a heavy user of the internet or anything on my previous phone, probably because it was a voyager and the thing went rly slow when it came to the internet or stuff like that. However this phone was awesome the first 3 days i had it becuse of the shock factor but at that wore off i realized that it lagged alot and wasnt the best for texting quickly. so i rooted it, ran 2.2 and installed a nice rom. i also installed a text input called swype. it breaks texting records about every moth or so. but this is alot more effective on the soft keyboard and small screen. runs very well now and i have written apps for it that are now making it run even faster(over clocking... awesome).

Pros

• -ANDROID!!!
  • -not locked like new moto phones
  • -trackball
  • -small

Cons

• -no keyboard
  • -needs work

TIM TITUS
posted on 28 May 2010, 22:21

even better with Android 2.1

This phone was a phenom with android 1.5, once 2.1 finally got released, THANK YOU VERIZON. The phone is much better, a hint for all users, if your not using the Internet constantly, turn off the Wi-FI & Mobile internet & down load 3 free apps from the droid market, I have found these help with the battery life and responsiveness of the phone. 1. Advanced Task Killer2. Advanced Task Cleaner3. Memory Booster Lite, this app lets you regain system memory.another couple I found useful is the Android System Info App & Android Manager App, also FREE, both of them. I have no complaints about the phone and look forward to keeping it running as long as it will be supported.

Pros

• Android Market and all the free apps to help with performance & anything you want.

Cons

• initial battery life. Once you start shutting things down it gets better

posted on 04 May 2010, 11:36

i love my droid eris :]by far one of the best phones that suits my lifestyle.very handy appsprocessor is pretty nice&&runs smoothlymedia player is wonderful,sound quality is great.battery life is a issue, im going to have to buy a spare battery because the battery life is poor.but i have gone 3 days, no charge, and consistent use the camera is great 5 megapixels :]too bad theres no flash :[&&mr.anonymous on feb. 25.. could it be possible that, phone would freeze and not work on your way home from the store,because the phone needs to charge (100%)..before you begin to use it?

Pros

• apps
  • processor
  • sound quality
  • android
  • sense ui
  • easy to use
  • design

• no flash

forrister2009
posted on 25 Mar 2010, 13:57 (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Mar 2010)

HTC ERIS

I am a sales rep through verizonwireless and out of all the phones i have ever had during my time this one as been my favorite the 3g avaliabillity is wonderfull and the applications you can use make your life so much easier with things like Mobile Banking and Weather. I do wish the battery life was a little longer but with all the different apps and Web Browser. A flash on the camera would have been nice and i do wish they would go ahead and have Skype Mobile available on the ERIS.

Pros

• 3g Browser, App world

Cons

• BAttery life and no Flash on the camera

Jeremy G
posted on 20 Mar 2010, 22:22

The best phone i have had yet!

I was kind of skeptical about diving into the whole android craze considering it is still fairly new on the market in the usa but i decided to take a chance on this phone and i absolutely love it. i have had windows mobile and a few blackberries and also various other phones including the instinct and this one tops everyone of them. i own an itouch so i have the basic understandings of an iphone and i have to say that this phone imho is better. then only thing i like more about the iphone is the amount of apps i had access to that i would actually use. the only thing the iphone does better for me is load media faster and truthfully if i want a media player i would carry around an actual ipod for when i do need my cell it is not dead from being used as a multipedia device.

overall i am very satisfied with my purchase. i think the only other phone i would purchase over this is the nexus one for the full flash support in the web browser.

Pros

• +ease of use
  • +ability to sync with gmail account
  • +sense interface
  • +call quality
  • +ability to customize almost every feature on this device

Cons

• +lag
  • +no preinstalled task killer
  • +battery life

posted on 25 Feb 2010, 12:48

Not a Good Phone...... Would try a different phone

I recently was up for my upgrade and being an average Joe like most people in the US, I decided I would look at the Droid Eris.  I wish Verizon had an iphone but sadly that day is not coming anytime soon from what i can see.  Anywho, the droid is years behind the iphone, but the key feature that sold me on it was the ability to link it to my Gmail account.  Then I could update my calendar from any computer and have it synced with my phone in seconds.... pretty nice when all I wanted was a better way to keep track of things.

However, the glamor of this phone quickly faded in just the short time I made it from the verizon store to home.  I found myself having the darn thing freeze up on me.  I had to pull the battery to get it to unfreeze.  The battery life is pathetic and I wasn't even using the phone (no calls, no internet, etc.) and it still dies in less than 24 hours.  The android applications are few and pointless.  Moreover, you pay for internet service but the thing is sooo sluggish that you might as well walk to a nearby computer and just get it done that much quicker.  I talked to a verizon store and they kept saying that you need to turn this off and this off in order to make it work better.... SERIOUSLY... why make a phone in which you need to remove stuff to get it to work better.  I finally went back to my basic flip phone less than two weeks after purchasing it.

Summary:
1) Sluggish, slow processor- ...

Pros

• Gmail integration and calendar management

Cons

• Poor battery life.
  • Sluggish processor
  • Freezes religiously
  • Slow internet browsing
  • No where near an iphone in qualitity

mellowlen62
posted on 08 Feb 2010, 20:52

ANDROID is a yes

I have the Eris for 4 days now, and I love everything about it. The only con I have is battery life, but I charge it every night just like my Blackberry so it's really not a big deal. The phone's capabilities more than make up for the battery, I keep a car charger with me always. The 7 screens are awesome, the widgets, the call quality, the vibrant screens, the camera (though no flash) is adequate enough for a phone, the Android market is phenomenal. I would like to see an upgrade to 2.0 or even 1.6 if it now has the turn-by-turn directions simply for that feature and that alone. I love the soft touch feel, it doesn't slip out of your hands, it's thin and small and looks attractive.  I love the Moto Droid, but this is smaller, sleeker, and the Sense UI just made it the choice for me. The ability to customize this at will is wonderful, I've made it do exactly what I need it to and it's just plain fun to play with.

Pros

• Sense UI, Android, sleek design, great call quality, easy to use, customization, just a lot of fun

Cons

• Battery life could be better but for what this does, it's understandable. An upgrade to 2.0 would be fantastic!

Brian Houghton
posted on 05 Feb 2010, 23:02

Keyboard issue

I love everything about this phone except that the screen will turn sideways on of programs except for the keyboard.  I have really large fingers and this really slows me down.  I hope they will be able to change this in a future update.  But Android is the only way to go.

Pros

• Everything else.

Cons

• Keep getting a pop up that keep changes my theme and it does it about 10 times a day. Gonna take it back to Verizon and have it checked.

posted on 30 Jan 2010, 14:33

Best Smartphone on the Market

This phone is absolutely AMAZING.  I can’t say enough good things about this device.  The design of this phone and the awesome Android operating system paired with the HTC Sense overlay and HTC widgets and apps just plain blow everything else away that I’ve seen in a Smartphone…including the iPhone.  I’m a very hard to impress techno guy when it comes to phones, and I have to say, this phone is the bomb…and for the price it’s the best value out there.  Droid Eris is the best phone on market right now.  The Droid by Motorola is a bit faster, and has a slightly better screen resolution, but its ugly boxy design and lack of refinement (no HTC Sense) drove me to the Eris.  The Nexus and Hero are similar to this phone, but the design of the Eris still the best.I’ve had the phone a month now so I’ve been able give it a decent test drive.   I’m a business smartphone user, so I was kind of leery of going away from Windows Mobile, to a touch screen Android, but I’m ecstatic I did.  HTC ActiveSync, syncs all my mail, calendar and contacts perfectly over the air (works great) and the Android predictive text keyboards work great.  I’m very happy from a business perspective.  But the other features on this phone just continue to impress me… such as…. the perfect size and ergonomic zenstone feel of the phone, the beautiful “multi-touch/iphone-like” capacitive screen, the seven customizable home screens (didn’t think I’d need it, but I do),...

etzelryan123
posted on 24 Jan 2010, 16:26 (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 Jan 2010)

BEST PHONE EVER AND TIPS IN HITS TO SAVE BATTERY

THIS IS a couple of helpfull hits on how 2save ur droid erises battery here r the steps!!!

Turn wifi off when not using it (settings>wireless controls>wifi on or off)

Turn GPS off when not using it (settings>location>turn gps on or off)

Turn Bluetooth off when not using it (settings>wireless controls>turn bluetooth on or off)

Turn Mobile Network off when not using it (settings>wireless controls>turn mobile network on or off) (if both this and wifi are disabled you will not be connected at all to the internet. the only thing you will be able to do is make/recieve phone calls and send/recieve sms mesages, this will give you tremendous battery savings though)

Turn off audible touchtones (settings>sounds and display> audible selection)

Turn off haptic feedback for typing and touchscreen inputs (with keyboard up press the gear for settings>sound feedback and vib when typing OFF)

also turn off screen animations.(settings>sounds and display> animations)

Turn screen brightness down to a moderate level.

Turn on disable auto backlight. (settings>sounds and display> disable auto backlight)

You can set screen time out to 30 second, i leave mine at a minute, thing is just to remember to hit your red call end button when putting the phone down.

Turn off auto-sync for your google account features (setting>data synchronization>Google)

Conditioning the battery by letting it...

princess29445
posted on 21 Jan 2010, 15:43

Love the phone, not happy with verizon

love the phone,  it is very fast and browser is excellent and touchscreen is very responsive. trackball is kind of useless as most functions are easier to use by touching. widgets are very handy especially with 7 home screens to set them up on compared to the 3 on the droid. battery life is ok, but I am a heavy data/txt user. camera is well...... lets just say I didnt buy the phone because it had a great camera. It does take a good picture but I always seem to have lines in the picture no matter which setting i have it on. My only issue with this phone is not so much a phone issue as it is a carrier issue. The phone is running the outdated (in my opinion) android 1.5. and according to my local vzw rep there are no plans to upgrade anytime soon which really bothers me seeing as the droid is expected to get 2.1 sometime in the near future.

Pros

• slim design
  • lots of apps
  • good touchscreen
  • to many to list

Cons

• 1.5 android operating system.

Mallory
posted on 04 Jan 2010, 11:29

HTC Droid Eris is all I expected

Its decent, I have to say.  As far as smartphones go this one is a good balance between user-friendly and more advance use accessable.  I love the different home screens, it keeps my apps and shortcuts neat and organized.  I love the ability to delete market apps very simply.  Being that its under verizon means I have superior coverage and excellent customer service so thats awesome.I'm not a pro reviewer but from the average joe's perspective this phone is the shit.My only issues, honestly are short battery life (to be expected as I use the phone all day for multiple uses) and the inability to delete factory apps like Twitter (I dont use it) and the footprints app.  However, they don't take up space so I dont see much of a problem with them staying.  I just dont like that they're there and not being used at all, it bothers my OCD.

Pros

• Accessability, Common-sense layout, quick response/intellectual input keyboard, sleek design.

Cons

• short battery life, inability to delete stock apps, tendency to lag if running multiple applications at once.

Brye
posted on 30 Dec 2009, 01:46

The Smartphone to beat

I seriously love my Eris to death. I had the Droid  for 2 weeks (got it on release day) and switched to the Eris. its not that i hated the Droid, it was that it was boring. Seriously. Customizing is limited, and you get bored of stock Android after a while. Although I probably could port over something, I'm too lazy and don't like  having to manually "make" my phone work better. The Eris has everything I need, 7 screens (beats 3), awesome widgets from HTC (love eye-candy) and a whole lot more polished and easier UI. I'm only 15 os I don't really need the Microsoft Exchange and all that other stuff so it doesn't bother me much. The Eris is pretty much like an iPhone in most ways, so I'm overjoyed. Plus the $99 price tag cant be beat. Battery is fine since I don't talk much, and The ATK really helps too. In the end, the Eris (to me) is probably the best phone Verizon has.

Pros

• Sense UI eye-candy
  • Customization
  • Easy to use
  • Price

Cons

• There really is nothing to hate

BGDMGDJWD
posted on 18 Dec 2009, 12:24

I never thought i would love this phone when i first saw, i was  a tad being scared on how the smartphones works well i never own one till now, it is easy to work on, a phone with ability to guide you through learning on how its being use all together in your palm, being well organized that is, not to mention just enough size to put in my pocket without looking bulky. I love this phone!

Cassidy
posted on 15 Dec 2009, 10:38

HTC Does It Again

First and foremost, I am becoming a HTC fan. I own the HTC Tilt 2 "aka Touch Pro 2", the HTC Touch Diamond 2, and now the HTC Eris. I love all of them. They all have their advantages and disadvatages. The HTC Eris is sleek in design and sports a wonderful, clear display. It feels well constructed in the hands as well. I live the interface and the ease of use. Most users like to pick on the battery life and lag time. I have noticed with almost all these types of phones some sort of lag time. I also have a Apple I Phone 3G and it lags from time to time. I believe it depends on where you are and what kind of signal you are getting from the network. This can change from step to step within a room. As for the battery, it does okay on the HTC Eris. Again, it is a case of the particular user. Settings are everything when it comes to battery life. Overall, I am very impressed with this phone. It is easy to navigate and has plenty of features to keep you busy. I would 100% recommend this phone to anyone.

• Construction
  • Widgets
  • Features
  • Sound

Cons

• Sometimes lag time

cbsbyte
posted on 14 Dec 2009, 21:37

Close but no cigar

This phone has a lot of feature for the money. Verizon did well to have this phone in their lineup. It is a great starter phone for people who don't need a business smart phone. It is basically a modified version of the HTC Hero. Overall I like the idea behind the phone but it does have some annoying problems. The largest problem is the pathetic battery life . Even if I turn off WiFi, GPS,and  bluetooth I only get 8 hours of moderate use. With those all turned on I can barely get 3hrs. Basically one has to be mindful of battery and have a charger on hand. Also I found the touch screen a bit too sensitive. I found it near impossible to text or email. I have gotten better at it but still texting can be very frustrating. I also the phone had sent many phantom blank texts to people for not apparent reason. I do not know how this happening since I can not duplicate it. Another aspect that make texting difficult is the small screen size which make the virtual keypad condensed. Overall the performace of this phone is hindered by the slow processor, their is noticeable lag when opening and switching between programs.  On top of that, the  bright but low resolution screen, does not help the phone. ,Also the phone takes nearly 2 mins to warm up when turned on.
This is a great phone for people who don't need a high performance phone like the Moto Droid, but want customization with excellent connectivity with their different email, and Facebook...

Pros

• Small, compact size
  • Weight
  • Customization
  • Android OS
  • HTC Sense UI
  • GPS google maps
  • Connectivity
  • Bright screen
  • Price

Cons

• Slow, Plenty of lag when switching between programs. Also take while to turn on.
  • Extremely sensitive touch pad screen. Makes it hard to text
  • Low resolution screen
  • Buggy OS Phone has frozen up on me a few times
  • Needs more fine tuning of the OS

Christopher
posted on 09 Dec 2009, 19:29

A well-priced user friendly phone that underperforms

I read about 300 reviews for the HTC Eris prior to purchasing one; bought it, and this is what I have come up with. On the EXTERIOR, the phone is svelt in design, attractive, fits snuggly into my mitts and concealable in my pocket. I found it to be moderately user-friendly. I am a person who takes a new phone with him everywhere in order to familiarize myself. I took it to the shitter, to bed, played with it at work when I shouldnt of, etc. It takes some getting use to; I feel like
I barely grazed the surface on the phones true capability before I returned it earlier today. Here's why: The Eris couldnt not perform the easiest of tasks. Big one being, the battery life truly is dogshit. I made 10 calls, checked some text messages, wrote a handful of emails, surfed the net for maybe 10min and I was already half dead. I downloaded the Task Killer(kills unwanted/used apps to promote longer battery life). There is no way I could pull a full days use out of this product. Secondly, I work inside of a metal building and this phone (Curve had little trouble with this) couldnt register enough bars. Voicemails were popping up and the phone never rang, nor were there missed calls. If a phone cannot provide me with average battery life and a strong signal that there is no sense of me keeping it around. Other than that....I happened...

Pros

• Look
  • Size/feel
  • Technology
  • Format of 7 home screens
  • Leaves you wanting to pick it up more and more

Cons

• Battery, battery, battery and yeah the battery life
  • Weak signal
  • Couldnt find a quick way to access call history, 3-4 click process

Brandy Winston
posted on 09 Dec 2009, 06:37

Best Phone from Verizon So Far

I have had this phone since the day it was released and the HTC Eris is the best smartphone I have had.  I have been through them all from the HTC XV6900, BB Storm 1, BB Storm 2, BB Curve, BB Pearl, BB World Edition, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Diamond all in the past year.  The ease of use with this phone is amazing.  From out of the box to syncing email, calendar and contacts from my exchange server within 10 minutes.  The 7 front screens allow you to customize the phone to put all of the programs or contacts you use the most just a touch away.  It is very easy to install and delete these shortcuts.There are a lot of applications that help out with things like battery life.  Be sure to get the free apps 1. Advanced Task Killer - this allows you to turn off all of the things that are running and draining the battery.  2. Power Manager - This monitors the battery and makes changes to things like the screen brightness, wi-fi and bluetooth to help get more time from your battery.  Before I installed these I would be at 20% battery at the end of the day, now I rarely get below 60% unless I have heavy usage during the day.  Bottom line is, for the $99 price tag on this phone, it can't be beat.  Yet!

Pros

• 7 screens of customization
  • EASE OF USE!
  • Fun

Cons

• Battery Life - But this is the norm with all of the smart phones. Get the free apps to help with battery life and you will be fine. I have very heavy use on occasion and I haven't completely drained the battery in a 12 - 14 hour day of heavy use.

J. Nunley
posted on 08 Dec 2009, 18:10

Best Verizon Phone I've Ever Used

Holding a Motorola Droid and an HTC Eris in your hand is a good way to be swayed toward the sleeker, rounded overall better aesthetics of the HTC. I have used Verizon's offerings of Palm Treos, Blackberries, Windows Mobile and the Android is the best for my usage. It is an easy integration of all things Google put into the palm of your hand.

Pros

• Beautiful phone design.
  • Great UI with the HTC Sense.
  • Great overall performance with the Android 1.5 system, it can only get better with future upgrades.
  • Great overall phone, planner, calender, browser and user experience.

Cons

• Battery life. It seems better after a few cycles but really it's the only drawback I've had after a couple of weeks.

posted on 04 Dec 2009, 08:46

First smart phone experience.  Absolutely love this phone.  Easy to use and does everything I want.  Programs are easy to set up (email, etc.) and you can find just about anything you need on the adroid market.  I also like the size....all the features and not a lot of bulk.  Can still be in your pocket without feeling like your shorts will fall off.

Pros

• Compact design. Ability to choose different keypad entry formats, including phone pad. Everything you could want but not overkill.

Cons

• Battery life.....but turn off the mobile web when in the office etc, and it's fine.

Anarkie13
posted on 01 Dec 2009, 08:37

An Underdog in the smartphone arena

I moved to the Droid Eris from the Samsung Omnia. I was waiting for an Android handset from Verizon. The Droid looks good, and specs out better, but didn't feel as natural and comfortable to me. The Eris has the best feel and with the Sense UI, it's just smooth and easy to use.

Within an hour of actually starting to play with the Eris, I had Pandora, Slacker, and Last.fm streaming radios installed. I had all of my email and contacts Synced from Gmail. I also had learned that the google maps integration is just awesome.

The other thing that amazed me was the data speeds. I'm getting 1.2Mbps average at home, where I never peaked much above 600 kbps before.

There is an ever so slight lag in opening programs, but it's livable. And the battery life, as expected, isn't the best, but is also livable. The worst thing about the Eris is that now I'm in the dog house. My fiancee is upset, because she can't upgrade her Omnia until next November.

Shame Verizon doesn't advertise this bad boy more...

Pros

• Beautiful and responsive screen.
  • Trackball with notification light
  • Feels comfortable to hold, and natural to use.
  • Signal reception - better than any Verizon phone I've used yet.
  • Call Quality - Loud, crisp, clear sound.
  • Sense UI - Everything is integrated, and easy to use/access/customize
  • Super fast data speeds.

Cons

• Relatively short battery life, as expected.
  • Slight lag in opening programs.