LG Ally User Reviews

Everyday usage7.6/10
UI speed7.1/10
Camera8.1/10

AnimePunk23
posted on 16 Nov 2012, 14:42 (Posts: 0; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)

Average

AnimePunk23 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone isn't really anything special. There were a lot of problems when i first got it but then after setting everything the way I wanted to it seemed to work better. However, it's still just a 3G smartphone and pretty slow but it's ok.

Pros

• Buttons Instead of Touch Buttons on outter bottom area
  • Camera flash
  • Slide out and physical QWERTY keyboard

Cons

• Slow internet
  • Bulky
  • Walpaper Stretches

angerbender
posted on 24 Feb 2012, 03:48 (Posts: 0; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)

the best hardware verizon has

angerbender has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

It has 802.11n. Tempered GLASS capacitive touchscreen, not acrylic. Resistant to scratches. Backlit physical qwerty keyboard -- the best one i've ever used on a mobile device. Physical keys for [CALL] and [END]. Also back and home keys. Card slot is on the side, not under the battery. Attached covers for card slot and charging port. Full 3.5mm headphone jack. Verifocus lens and LED flash on camera. Extended battery makes it last until the cows come home.

• flash
  • verifocal lens
  • glass screen
  • external card slot
  • physical Android buttons
  • 802.11n
  • QWERTY slider
  • 3.5mm jack

Cons

• slow CPU
  • needs more RAM
  • limited video format support

riverboy949
posted on 23 Nov 2011, 16:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)

Average Phone

riverboy949 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

It was a great phone. I loved how fast it was until what i call doomsday. The day the 2.2 update came out. After that day the phone went downhill...FAST. It froze at least once a day and the slider would not work so I had o use the small onscreen keyboard. I could easily go from 8 to 8 and have about 50 percent battery left. After 2.2 i could go the same amoun and only have about 10 percen left. Battery sucked. Right now i would not recomened it to people.

Pros

• ...

Cons

• 2.2 update ruined it

riverboy949 alternatives:

Kanati
posted on 05 Nov 2011, 10:58 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Nov 2011)

Avoid this phone like the plague

Kanati has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone is very average. For its overall size its really heavy and feels like a brick in my pocket. I've dropped it a couple times and its held up ok. I've gone through like 3 of them due to problems with text messages, and the vibrate function going out. The worst thing about it is the internal storage. I have all my apps saved to my SD card, run a task manager, and clear my cashes often, and it still complains about having low memory thanks to all the bloat wear. My advise get a different phone, and if you do get it, root it right away and get rid of the bloat.

Pros

• Full keyboard

Cons

• almost everything else

mg
posted on 25 Jul 2011, 21:02

DON'T GET THIS PHONE

mg has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

THIS PHONE IS AWFUL. I have had this phone for about 10 months and I'm already on my second one. My first phone stopped sending and receiving text messages, it would drop calls, it froze multiple times and also ran VERY slow. It would make me force close my apps, mostly my messages and i would only be texting one person. My battery life is TERRIBLE and my touch screen stops working. My first one worked very well for the first 2 weeks and then it all went down hill. I got it reset and it worked well again for the first 2 weeks then went down hill again. So i got a new one and now it is doing all the same things the first one did. I read reviews on how good it was and looked past all the bad ones ... that was my mistake.

Build quality 8/10 I really like the keyboard and how its also a touch screen.
Call quality 5/10 trouble hearing at times speaking phone is not up to par
Everyday usage 4/10 terrible battery life
Text input 2/10 slow when typing but i like the buttons
Display 8/10 screen quality is good
Battery 1/10 awful

Pros

• has a nice keyboard

Robert Callsonis
posted on 25 May 2011, 18:23

Ambition didn't pay off

Robert Callsonis has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I'm going to cut to the chase. This phone sucks. I know apparently it runs the newest version of android, and it has a keyboard, and was advertised in Iron Man 2, but seriously, this phone sucks. The keyboard is the klunkiest thing ever. It was very hard to use. The camera is basically useless. Pictures look horrible. Apps take 30 minutes to download and every time you turn your phone off, and back on, it takes the apps even longer to start up. $200? Not worth it one bit. Oh, and also this phones battery life is around 35 minutes. And the phone is very ugly.

Pros

• It runs android? Kind of.

Cons

• If hell was a phone, it would be the LG Ally.

lgallyguy
posted on 13 Apr 2011, 18:40

Best ANDROID Phone EVER!!!!!!

lgallyguy has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I purchased my Ally in September of 2010 to replace a broken cell phone. The Ally is my first smartphone. I bought this phone because it is recommended to first-time smartphone users like me. The touch screen is pretty good, even though it has frozen on me a couple of times, though it is fine otherwise. The phone is also not as fast as some of the DROID phones, but keep in mind this phone has a 600 MHZ processor, so it may be slower, but it is still pretty fast. The ANDROID 2.2 "Froyo" Update came for the Ally in January of 2011, and makes the phone faster and easier-to-use. The phone is lightweight and is easy to grip in your hand. I have also dropped the phone hundreds of times and the touchscreen is Gorilla Glass so it stays intact, so it would be a great phone for people who work outdoors, or people who are frequent phone droppers, like me. The phone's finish is Black, but you can get some cool cases for it that change its look. The QWERTY keyboard is well spaced out and is easy to type on. I LOVE the dedicated smiley key that inserts a :) into your text messages when you tap on it. This phone is a great phone for being free and is great for any person looking for an ANDROID phone!!!!!!

Build quality 10/10 This thing is DURABLE!!!!!!
Reception 10/10 I get GREAT reception!!!!!!
Call quality 10/10 The call quality is AWESOME!!!!!!
Internet 9/10 The internet is a bit slow, but still fast.
Multimedia 10/10 I LOVE the apps available in the ANDROID Market!!!!!!
Camera 10/10 The camera takes GREAT pictures and video!!!!!!
UI speed 7/10 A little slow, but still pretty fast.
Everyday usage 9/10 Again, it's a little slow, but fast at the same time.
Text input 10/10 I LOVE the keyboards!!!!!!
Display 10/10 The display is bright and doesn't crack!!!!!!
Battery 9/10 The battery will usually last about 2 days with normal use, though I still charge it every night.

Pros

• Durable
  • Great Phone

Cons

• A Little Slow

jbuffit
posted on 01 Mar 2011, 13:03

The LG ALLY is the phone for YOU!

jbuffit has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I've had my Ally since June of 2010.It is a very good phone for first time Android users.The camera (3.2 mp) is awesome compared to the 2.0 mp camera my voyager had.It ran pretty fast with the 2.1 OS.but since I got the 2.2 Software Upgrade this phone Flies.Browsing web pages is alot faster now.the only bad thing i could ever say about this phone is there isn't a flashplayer.But with a 600Mhz prosessor its kinda hard to do.SO any one lookin for a Good Quality inexpensive LG phone ....The ALLY is for YOU.!!

Multimedia 9/10 No Flashplayer

Pros

• EVERYTHING

Cons

• No Flashplayer

Cuong Le
posted on 16 Feb 2011, 00:44

LG Ally

Cuong Le has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

LG Ally is awesome Android phone !!!!!!!!!!! Now, I am using the both of smartphones : LG Ally and Nokia N900.

You won't commonly find us complaining that a phone's screen resolution is too high... and actually, you won't find us complaining about it with the Ally, either, but we did find it somewhat odd that LG chose to go with WVGA resolution on a crisp, bright LCD measuring just 3.2 inches. That puts the phone into stratospherically high pixel density territory, and frankly, we felt like it was a bit unnecessary -- HVGA is totally fine below 3.5 or 3.7 inches, especially since most of Android's UI fails to take advantage of the higher resolution displays by, say, offering more space for icons on each home screen. The capacitive touchscreen has a distinctly plastic feel to it -- though it's no different (or worse) than virtually any of its pricier contemporaries like the Droid or Nexus One -- and it seemed responsive enough. There was some jerkiness that we'll get to in the next section, but we attribute that more to software than we do to any issues with the touchscreen. Anyhow, we can't help but wonder if Verizon could've sold the Ally for, say, $80 on contract if they'd stepped down to HVGA. ...

Pros

• great screen resolution
  • 2.2.1 very fast
  • little device in your hand
  • qwerty keyboard very easy to push it
  • ...

PhoneReviewer96
posted on 15 Jan 2011, 20:53

Lg Ally Review

PhoneReviewer96 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is great. It's on the thicker side but that's what you get with a slider phone. Reception and call quality were excellent and on par with most smartphones. Internet was fast and zippy with multi touch features. Many great apps also came along preloaded and also on the market. Camera wasn't the best but ok for a smartphone including a 3.2 megapixle camera with led flash including many extra features. UI speed was okay could be better but was ok. It took some time to swtich orientations from landscape to portrait. Everyday usage was ok. Most smartphones only last a few days if that at all on daily usage. So the Ally was on par. Text imput was ok but there was a problem.. No Swype. Which isn't a big deal for me personally but some heavy smartphone users might like that option. Display was ok on the Ally. 3.2 in. was okay for the Ally but most have atleast a 3.7. Overall the Lg Ally is an pretty decent smartphone.

Call quality 10/10 Call quality was great along with going to homescreen while on a call.

Pros

• Android 2.1, Slide out qwerty keyboard, great UI, decent screen , and reception
  • preloaded with google

Cons

• No Swype, Camera, and build quality- too thick

BIG TIM
posted on 23 Dec 2010, 12:24

PEOPLE DONT KNOW HOW T USE A SMART PHONE

BIG TIM has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

all those who complain about the battery life, turn off the mobile, gps apps then your battery works better than stated. you don't need the mobile internet 24/7 that & gps cause the low battery issues, read the book it tells you that. and don't listen to verizon about the apps you need load the phone up it can handle them. verizon wont tell you the truth, they want you to buy the apps check out all the free apps in the market.

Pros

• EVERYTHING

Cons

• NONE

verizoncustomer
posted on 06 Dec 2010, 21:39

Do Not Buy This Phone

verizoncustomer has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

this phone has been reset so many times i dont know why i even bother downloading apps in the first place. all of them either quit working or never show up. its a waste of money. and all you can do is keep asking the insurance company to send you another one. is a waste! even the market app quit working and my widgets dont work either.

Pros

• good camera, decent widgets when they work

Cons

• the apps quit working

verizoncustomer alternatives:

allyowner2
posted on 19 Nov 2010, 15:01

Awesome Android Phone!!!!!!

allyowner2 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I bought this phone in September of 2010 to replace my LG Chocolate Touch (VX-8575) for Verizon Wireless because it was not sending text messages. I wanted an Android smartphone, and I wanted one that was easy-to-use, yet cool-looking. It is awesome! I have recommended this phone to my friends, and many of them have purchased it! Don't let the price fool you! This is one awesome phone!

Build quality 10/10 Dropped it lots of times, and the tempered glass touchscreen hasn't broken.
Reception 7/10 Doesn't always get the best reception ,especially at school.
Call quality 10/10 Outstanding call quality, as with most Verizon Wireless phones.
Internet 10/10 Great HTML browser!
Multimedia 7/10 Won't play some music files (ones on my MicroSD card from V Cast Music on my old phone).
Camera 10/10 Takes awesome pictures and video!
UI speed 7/10 Sometimes is sluggish!
Everyday usage 10/10 It's durable and usable!
Text input 10/10 Keyboard has a nice feel to it!
Display 10/10 Crisp graphics!
Battery 7/10 Battery does go down really quickly when playing with it!

Pros

• Great Phone!

Lgallyreview
posted on 16 Nov 2010, 17:05

BEST PHONE EVER

Lgallyreview has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Very great phone... But has ways it can be bad like the battery will barley last a day and have alot of trouble with my background. Other than that its great specially if your a big texter and internet user........................................................................................

Pros

• Texting and internet is great.!

Teasamp
posted on 12 Nov 2010, 11:34

LG Ally

Teasamp has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I love this phone. It does everything I ask of it. I mostly use it to track my fantasy sports teams and have no issues updating my teams and making changes at the last minute. The touch screen is very responsive and the battery lasts all day before it requires a charge.

Battery 10/10 I love this phone. For the price you cannot beat what it gives you.

Pros

• Value, battery, overall proformance

Cons

• No flash player

Ally User
posted on 28 Oct 2010, 09:34

LG Ally Andriod

Ally User has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Love My Ally easy to use android phone, Only Problem I seem to have with it is the Random turn off when it doesn't have signal. Other wise The battery life could be better Depending on its use, Expect to plug it in every night. Mines unpluged from 7am till about 9pm sometimes earlier depending on it's use. I'd highly recommend getting the rubber Protective case with this phone Along with the insurance, The touch screen doesn't like hard things from short falls (less than 2FT) It spider web cracks. Fortunatly it seems to work even with the cracks in the screen. Other than that I'd recommend this phone to any first time android users in Non-abusive jobs, Fun phone easy to use, Great capabliites. Internet use and apps are awesome! Tons of free apps to chose from.

Pros

• Qwerty Slideout and pop up
  • Huge Display
  • Autofocusing and Flash Camera
  • Comes with 4GB Card
  • Fast Easy to use internet Supported By GOOGLE
  • Instant Messaging Type Txting

Cons

• Relativly Short Battery life
  • Touch Screen Fraglity
  • AutoShut off when SOS

mycmow
posted on 15 Oct 2010, 12:11

Worst phone I've ever owned.

When I first got this LG Ally I loved it. I’ve had it for about five months now and it is, without a doubt, the most frustrating device of any kind I have ever had to endure since my first cell phone back in 1990.Background - it has the latest 2.1 update from Verizon. No third party apps loaded.Battery life is no where close to advertised. You’re lucky to get a full day of use out of this thing. If you actually make calls with it expect to recharge at least once a day and that is with an extended battery installed.Corporate calendar rarely works and is incomplete. You have to create a Gmail calendar and sync to it for calendar to be useful.Corporate email - forget it. I’ve had to do a factory reset every day for the past three weeks. Email works fine for a couple of hours and then it all goes crazy. The system closes email after 8-10 seconds. If you open an email within that time the system closes the message after 3-5 seconds, and then closes the email app after another 2-3 seconds.With no apps loaded this thing regularly shows 10mb of available memory. How can there only be 10MB of memory with no apps running?Before anyone starts responding with suggested fixes - I’ve tried them all from every blog and Verizion’s minimalist support page. Disabled voice privacy; done the #*#*4636*#*# thing; not loaded any other apps except Advanced Task Killer as recommended by Verizon and most every blog; I’ve changed the battery; done soft boots, factory resets all to no avail. I’ve checked...

Pros

• Qwerty keyboard, nice screen, easy to use and handle.

Cons

• Battery life is terrible and performace for corporate email and calendar is worse.

lgallyguy
posted on 16 Sep 2010, 15:25

Great Phone for First-Time Android Users

I've had the LG Ally (VS740) for Verizon Wireless for a little over a week now. First off, I've been a Verizon Wireless customer since 2007, and have enjoyed my time as a subscriber with them. I recently decided that it was time to get rid of my LG Chocolate Touch (VX-8575) for Verizon Wireless and get a smarter phone. I decided on the Ally because it runs Android, yet is simple to use, and is recommended for first-time smartphone users (such as me). I thought my switch to Android would be really difficult, but I was wrong. The phone is easy to use, yet I haven't experienced the full capabilities of it. I can now get my e-mail in one, single, easy-to-use inbox, and it sends text messages quicker than any of my old phones ever had. The HTML web browser loads web pages IN FULL, and it is extremely fast. Wi-Fi is great, and it increases the speed of the web browser. The keyboard is well spaced-out for people with big fingers (like me). The Ally has so many apps to choose from, I've only had time to install a few of them. The Ally is a bit on the heavy side, but thin isn't always best. I've dropped it only once, and it resists scratches, as there is no scratches to be seen on my phone. I have recommended this phone highly to both my friends and family, and my dad is going to upgrade to this phone very soon. I love my phone!!!!!! Great job, LG and Verizon Wireless!!!!!!

Pros

• Apps, HTML Web Browser, Keyboard Size, Voice Quality, Signal Strength, Speed, Ease-Of-Use, E-Mail Server

JD
posted on 24 Aug 2010, 00:18

Awful battery

Had phone for two weeks and switched back to LG enVy. For first smartphone, the display is great, and the operating system very solid.  Qwerty keyboard is clumsy but better than many smartphones. Need to download a number of apps to make use of phone,  Very easy to sync to email accounts.
 The virtual keyboard is way to small making typing difficult to predict.  No speed dial. And battery life is horrific.  Required recharging every night, regardless of use, and some times multiple times per day.  Ringtones and messaging tones are lacking and hard to set for individual numbers.  Power on/off function doesn't always work when phone is charging.
Needed to download app to close programs to conserve battery life, but still had difficulty switching back and forth between apps.
Unless set as a favorite, difficult to dial or message non-primary number.

• ease of use,
  • operating system
  • Qwerty keyboard

Cons

• BATTERY LIFE is awful, no where near the claimed standby time
  • virtual keypad
  • no speed dial
  • inability to switch between multiple applications
  • shutting down applications

myAndroid!!!**!!
posted on 14 Aug 2010, 10:10

Great Android !

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this phone!.... I have had most Operating systems and by far android surpasses them all. I personally have always had great luck w/ LG. I loved the stucture of the Voyager,EnvTouch & Env and now with the ally out. I LOVE IT, and even better with the android operating system. The speed is not bad (compares similar to the orignal Moto Droid which I had). The key board is wonderful, and comfortable. The app's veriety is just as great. I love the fact that is has enough veriety for app's to my own need. But again this review is based off of my own needs and opinion.

The layout of the screen is wonderful, Loved the compact size, but still a decent size (not to small). It slides easly and smooth to reveal the keyboard. It has a wonderful extended battery for more juice & power. I can't think of one negative thing on this phone, except that I am looking forward to seeing LG creat another Ally with a faster process, maybe I GH?

Oh, one last thing about the key board. It has an extra row for only numbers, so this gives you extra room to type - verses the Moto Droid which had it's last row both numbers and letters which did not leave you much room to type - that drove me NUTS....

Pros

• Great app veriety, has extended battery for more life,and amazing keyboard. Great compact size, (but not to small)

Cons

• It could use more juice power (prefer to have 1 GH speed like the Moto X)

oliver d. bentley
posted on 07 Aug 2010, 12:14

the lg ally is your ally

first there was the iphone, then the motorola droid and droid x then there was htc evo and htc incredible, and now there is the lg ally!!!! the lg ally is a lightweight sturdy new and first android phone made by lg.-It has a amazing camera , fast internet , GPS  navigation and much more . it has this new way of texting which i fing really useful which is where you can speak your text messages and if you go on the web you can just tell the phone where you want to search and your done! it also includes facebook and twitter that you can do at the same time which really helps if you have 2 social network emails, and to get to the apps  it has soooooooooooooo any apps its confusing, i find it hard to get to the messaging.

Pros

• has more apps that you need, amazing camera, great android, awsome internet and much more

Cons

• to many apps its hard to get to some thing