Windows Phone 7.8 update to start rolling out on January 31st
The update will bring resizeable Live Tiles, the Bing daily lock screen wallpaper, twenty new themes, and various small enhancements. The idea is to make those Windows Phone 7.5 users feel like their handset is new and fresh. This might keep current Windows Phone users from jumping to another OS once their current contract expires.
source: Telstra, O2, WindowsPhoneColombia (translated) via WPCentral
All of the signs point to a January 31st start date for the roll out of Windows Phone 7.8
1. papss (unregistered)
20 new themes? Are they talking new colors for the tiles?
3. Credo (Posts: 695; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I can no longer wait, my sexy cyan lumia 900 will look even sexyer with the 7.8 update, i'm tired of the bllack barr on the right of the homescreen, i hope that by the end of this month we get the real deal !
24. -box- (Posts: 3823; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I don't mind the black bar, but I am eagerly anticipating smaller tiles and optimizations
33. haseebzahid (Posts: 1833; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
i flahsd it on lumia800 2 months ago damn it is all too good except the apps from homescreen opens with little bit extra delay not lagg but delay dont know if i flash pre-release version maybe
4. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
just in time for me to get used to the new stuff a bit, and after that switch to the lumia820.
12. papss (unregistered)
Stop living in the past. L920 is the new flagship for them
13. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
it's a bit too pricy here that is why i considered the 820 (things might change in the future however). i still have most of the coolness (like wireless charging, 1080p vidrec, !microsd!, but not the camera, the screenres, plus sacrificing a bit of battery life), but the 820 felt more comfortable to me in many aspects than the 920. not everything is specs guys...
i still don't get the two thumbsdowns, but i hope those trolls are feeling better now. :)
14. papss (unregistered)
Lol with troll here if you mention WP or Nokia you get thumbs down.. He's a d**k like that
27. simplyj (Posts: 404; Member since: 23 Dec 2009)
I think the 920's price should be coming down soon, it's been out for a while now
29. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
What about the HTC 8X ?
30. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
the 8X is a overlooked phone that is pretty solid. shouldnt be left in the 920's shadow but HTC needs some unique selling points to make a bigger impact
36. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
agreed on that one. i mean the colors and design stuff on HTCs new wp8 devices is really cool, i'd prefer that to nokias somehow, but everything else seems quite mediocre/unappealing from them, in my opinion (although i still couldn't try neither the 8x nor the 8s).
5. Mozarrt (Posts: 295; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Still a very mediocre update. Luckily Nokia still cares for us, can't say the same for MS.
6. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
I certainly don't see many WP users switching to another OS, simply because their older hardware doesn't support the new WP8 OS. The older WP 7.x phones are still perfectly useable; besides, nothing lasts forever, especially home electronics (grin). By the time most of these owners are ready to switch to a newer device, WP8 will have at least 200,000+ apps available, and there will be a large variety of smartphone vendors to choose from (including LG, huawei, Asus, and others). Nokia is still the king of the WP8 world, and probably will remain so. However, more selection means better value for the consumer...
Android will be around, and so will iOS, and maybe even BB-10 too. However, WP is now the fastest growing mobile OS in the world, and there's no question Microsoft is going to be a big player for mobility, just like they are in the PC and gaming console markets.
8. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
These current WP7.5 users will be jumbling to iOS or OS, after realising that WP8 is better....!
11. papss (unregistered)
What? why would they jump to IOS? Also what do you mean OS? Which OS?
22. papss (unregistered)
OS could be any of them bro, that's why I asked
37. jdep1 (banned) (Posts: 26; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
Haha TF=troll fails. OS=Operating System AOSP=Android Open Source Project. Get it together troll! I personally don't think I could go back to Android because in order to have it working the way I wanted to I had to install ROMs, root, over clock/under clock & so on.. I rather spend that time being productive in life. WP=productivity because it works straight out of the box. Can't wait for the update!
10. papss (unregistered)
Yeah the bar would bug me as it always did. I like having my tiles on the full screen. Also love resizing so that will be nice for 7.5 owners
17. cse.vicky (Posts: 107; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Is this update coming to Samsung Omnia W also ?
18. Alan01 (Posts: 192; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Check out our previous story on the Samsung Omnia W
21. nwright94 (unregistered)
As far as I know they're not selling many windows phone 7 phones right now, I really doubt this update would make someone jump ship from a galaxy s2/3 or any higher end android phone to get this. If its a budget android 2.3 phone, then maybe but there's no point to jump to a 7.8 phone over an 8.
23. papss (unregistered)
I don't think that's the reason they did the update anyways... It was for the customers
31. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
true this was to control the anger that wp7 devices couldnt be updated to wp8. and to stop the complaints from some saying they drop customers
just wish nokia would have the same attitude the the 808 as they only really gave 6 months support with updates
25. -box- (Posts: 3823; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
There's some folks on a tighter budget who can't get the 8s yet, so the 7.5/7.8 suffice. I've seen a few Lumia 900's sell, and the Lumia 510 (or 505?) only comes with 7.8, but it is only for Mexico
38. davidtb (Posts: 23; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
I can't help but feel that MS is trying to lock down their apps in a completely pay as you go sorta way.
26. aco96 (Posts: 207; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
If I buy HTC 7 pro, will I be able to update it to wp 7.8?
32. sallu (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
All the Lumia User plz say that why you all are waiting,for update??
Go to Nokia Care update is there from last One Month.
I had updated my Lumia 710 to 7.8 and is working fine with Bluetooth also working.
39. cdgoin (Posts: 369; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Any news on the Dell Venue Pro updates..? We are stuck, as T-mobile never sold them they don't feel obligated to support them and Dell quit selling phones..
I know once I get 7.8 I may not upgrade for a while.
40. NateAdam8 (Posts: 220; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
It's about time they did something cause with all this talk and nothing happening it's become the biggest loud of bulls**t I've ever heard in my life and I know at least 3 people who trashed there WP7.5 devices to go over to Android cause it was beginning to look like a lot of lies and the "Updates" would never be released and I won't believe these Updates are coming out until I get some kind of Notification about it cause this has been talked about for month and for now it all talk and rumors to make people who have WP7.5 Devices stick with there out ass useless devices.
41. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
you can simply update the phones with the "force" method in about 30 minutes (worked for me):
1. start zune
2. turn off wi-fi and cellular data on the phone and connect it to your PC
3. click on update
4. after about 2-3 seconds disconnect your PC from the internet (either unplug the cable or disable the network card/wi-fi adapter)
5. zune finds prior update 7.10.8779.8
6. after update is installed, repeat the above process, zune will find prior update 7.10.8783.12
7. after update is installed, repeat again, zune will find the 7.8 update 7.10.8858.136
8. be happy with your 7.8 phone. :)
ps.: you might need to try a few times in order for zune to catch the updates.
42. ripko (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
You are genius :) thanks, that trick is really work for me :) wait about 4 sec and disable network adapter.
43. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
you are very welcome, glad to have helped :)