Windows Phone 7.8 update to start rolling out on January 31st
The update will bring resizeable Live Tiles, the Bing daily lock screen wallpaper, twenty new themes, and various small enhancements. The idea is to make those Windows Phone 7.5 users feel like their handset is new and fresh. This might keep current Windows Phone users from jumping to another OS once their current contract expires.
source: Telstra, O2, WindowsPhoneColombia (translated) via WPCentral
All of the signs point to a January 31st start date for the roll out of Windows Phone 7.8
1. papss posted on 20 Jan 2013, 13:49 3 1
20 new themes? Are they talking new colors for the tiles?
3. Credo posted on 20 Jan 2013, 13:54 4 2
I can no longer wait, my sexy cyan lumia 900 will look even sexyer with the 7.8 update, i'm tired of the bllack barr on the right of the homescreen, i hope that by the end of this month we get the real deal !
24. -box- posted on 20 Jan 2013, 16:27 0 0
I don't mind the black bar, but I am eagerly anticipating smaller tiles and optimizations
33. haseebzahid posted on 21 Jan 2013, 00:44 0 0
i flahsd it on lumia800 2 months ago damn it is all too good except the apps from homescreen opens with little bit extra delay not lagg but delay dont know if i flash pre-release version maybe
35. cripton805 posted on 21 Jan 2013, 01:36 0 0
4. GJanee posted on 20 Jan 2013, 13:59 4 1
just in time for me to get used to the new stuff a bit, and after that switch to the lumia820.
12. papss posted on 20 Jan 2013, 14:34 3 1
Stop living in the past. L920 is the new flagship for them
34. haseebzahid posted on 21 Jan 2013, 00:45 0 1
13. GJanee posted on 20 Jan 2013, 14:36 2 1
it's a bit too pricy here that is why i considered the 820 (things might change in the future however). i still have most of the coolness (like wireless charging, 1080p vidrec, !microsd!, but not the camera, the screenres, plus sacrificing a bit of battery life), but the 820 felt more comfortable to me in many aspects than the 920. not everything is specs guys...
i still don't get the two thumbsdowns, but i hope those trolls are feeling better now. :)
14. papss posted on 20 Jan 2013, 14:39 6 0
Lol with troll here if you mention WP or Nokia you get thumbs down.. He's a d**k like that
27. simplyj posted on 20 Jan 2013, 17:06 2 0
I think the 920's price should be coming down soon, it's been out for a while now
29. thelegend6657 posted on 20 Jan 2013, 19:33 2 0
What about the HTC 8X ?
30. chaoticrazor posted on 20 Jan 2013, 19:49 3 1
the 8X is a overlooked phone that is pretty solid. shouldnt be left in the 920's shadow but HTC needs some unique selling points to make a bigger impact
36. GJanee posted on 21 Jan 2013, 03:12 1 0
agreed on that one. i mean the colors and design stuff on HTCs new wp8 devices is really cool, i'd prefer that to nokias somehow, but everything else seems quite mediocre/unappealing from them, in my opinion (although i still couldn't try neither the 8x nor the 8s).
5. Mozarrt posted on 20 Jan 2013, 14:03 2 2
Still a very mediocre update. Luckily Nokia still cares for us, can't say the same for MS.
6. UrbanPhantom posted on 20 Jan 2013, 14:13 7 1
I certainly don't see many WP users switching to another OS, simply because their older hardware doesn't support the new WP8 OS. The older WP 7.x phones are still perfectly useable; besides, nothing lasts forever, especially home electronics (grin). By the time most of these owners are ready to switch to a newer device, WP8 will have at least 200,000+ apps available, and there will be a large variety of smartphone vendors to choose from (including LG, huawei, Asus, and others). Nokia is still the king of the WP8 world, and probably will remain so. However, more selection means better value for the consumer...
Android will be around, and so will iOS, and maybe even BB-10 too. However, WP is now the fastest growing mobile OS in the world, and there's no question Microsoft is going to be a big player for mobility, just like they are in the PC and gaming console markets.
8. TROLL posted on 20 Jan 2013, 14:28 1 5
These current WP7.5 users will be jumbling to iOS or OS, after realising that WP8 is better....!
11. papss posted on 20 Jan 2013, 14:32 3 1
What? why would they jump to IOS? Also what do you mean OS? Which OS?
22. papss posted on 20 Jan 2013, 16:15 2 1
OS could be any of them bro, that's why I asked
37. jdep1 (banned) posted on 21 Jan 2013, 06:08 0 0
Haha TF=troll fails. OS=Operating System AOSP=Android Open Source Project. Get it together troll! I personally don't think I could go back to Android because in order to have it working the way I wanted to I had to install ROMs, root, over clock/under clock & so on.. I rather spend that time being productive in life. WP=productivity because it works straight out of the box. Can't wait for the update!
10. papss posted on 20 Jan 2013, 14:30 3 1
Yeah the bar would bug me as it always did. I like having my tiles on the full screen. Also love resizing so that will be nice for 7.5 owners
17. cse.vicky posted on 20 Jan 2013, 15:19 0 0
Is this update coming to Samsung Omnia W also ?
18. Alan01 posted on 20 Jan 2013, 15:39 0 0
Check out our previous story on the Samsung Omnia W
21. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 20 Jan 2013, 15:57 2 0
As far as I know they're not selling many windows phone 7 phones right now, I really doubt this update would make someone jump ship from a galaxy s2/3 or any higher end android phone to get this. If its a budget android 2.3 phone, then maybe but there's no point to jump to a 7.8 phone over an 8.
23. papss posted on 20 Jan 2013, 16:20 1 1
I don't think that's the reason they did the update anyways... It was for the customers
31. chaoticrazor posted on 20 Jan 2013, 19:51 0 1
true this was to control the anger that wp7 devices couldnt be updated to wp8. and to stop the complaints from some saying they drop customers
just wish nokia would have the same attitude the the 808 as they only really gave 6 months support with updates
25. -box- posted on 20 Jan 2013, 16:32 1 0
There's some folks on a tighter budget who can't get the 8s yet, so the 7.5/7.8 suffice. I've seen a few Lumia 900's sell, and the Lumia 510 (or 505?) only comes with 7.8, but it is only for Mexico
38. davidtb posted on 21 Jan 2013, 10:52 0 0
I can't help but feel that MS is trying to lock down their apps in a completely pay as you go sorta way.
26. aco96 posted on 20 Jan 2013, 16:49 0 0
If I buy HTC 7 pro, will I be able to update it to wp 7.8?
32. sallu posted on 20 Jan 2013, 22:28 0 0
All the Lumia User plz say that why you all are waiting,for update??
Go to Nokia Care update is there from last One Month.
I had updated my Lumia 710 to 7.8 and is working fine with Bluetooth also working.
39. cdgoin posted on 22 Jan 2013, 10:21 0 0
Any news on the Dell Venue Pro updates..? We are stuck, as T-mobile never sold them they don't feel obligated to support them and Dell quit selling phones..
I know once I get 7.8 I may not upgrade for a while.
40. NateAdam8 posted on 22 Jan 2013, 16:25 0 0
It's about time they did something cause with all this talk and nothing happening it's become the biggest loud of bulls**t I've ever heard in my life and I know at least 3 people who trashed there WP7.5 devices to go over to Android cause it was beginning to look like a lot of lies and the "Updates" would never be released and I won't believe these Updates are coming out until I get some kind of Notification about it cause this has been talked about for month and for now it all talk and rumors to make people who have WP7.5 Devices stick with there out ass useless devices.
41. GJanee posted on 08 Feb 2013, 03:16 0 0
you can simply update the phones with the "force" method in about 30 minutes (worked for me):
1. start zune
2. turn off wi-fi and cellular data on the phone and connect it to your PC
3. click on update
4. after about 2-3 seconds disconnect your PC from the internet (either unplug the cable or disable the network card/wi-fi adapter)
5. zune finds prior update 7.10.8779.8
6. after update is installed, repeat the above process, zune will find prior update 7.10.8783.12
7. after update is installed, repeat again, zune will find the 7.8 update 7.10.8858.136
8. be happy with your 7.8 phone. :)
ps.: you might need to try a few times in order for zune to catch the updates.
42. ripko posted on 11 Mar 2013, 18:03 1 0
You are genius :) thanks, that trick is really work for me :) wait about 4 sec and disable network adapter.