Sony teases Xperia Z1 aka Honami will be water-resistant: “about to make a splash”
The image right below allegedly shows the Z1 submerged in water and “about to make a splash…” in both the figurative and literal sense of the words. The new image also reveals the Xperia Z1 will have a dedicated phyiscal camera shutter key, located on its right, below the volume rocker.
Sony kicked off a marketing campaign under the slogan “The best of Sony is about to get better” and yesterday’s first installment made it clear it is for “the smartphone everyone’s been talking about…” All clues suggest this is for the upcoming Sony Xperia Z1 aka Honami.
The images Sony teases fall in line with all earlier rumors. Whispers have already drawn a nearly full picture of the expected specifications of the Xperia Z1, take a look right below:
- Shock-, dust-, shatter-, water-proof, IP 55/58
- 5.0-inch 1920x1080 pixel Triluminos display, 16% wider colour gamut
- Carbon fiber frame; Dragontrail tempered glass front protection; Corning Gorilla Glass 3 back protection
- 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 (Krait 400) chip
- Adreno 330 GPU
- 16GB expandable memory, microSD card slot
- 3100 mAh battery, new improved STAMINA mode
- MHL / Miracast / NFC / Bluetooth 4.0 / LTE / Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n; a/c)
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- 20.7 MP rear camera with G lens (using Exmor RS CMOS sensor), f/2.3 aperture, capable of recording 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution videos at 30fps (using BIONZ imaging engine for still photos and X-reality Pro video engine for videos)
- 2 MP Exmor R front-facing camera capable of shooting 1080p full HD resolution videos at 30fps
- IR Remote
- 4G LTE connectivity
- Dual (Stereo) speakers
- 144 x 73.9 x 8.3mm
More popular slideshows
Sony teases Xperia Z1 aka Honami will be water-resistant: “about to make a splash”
1. about to make a splash…
2. the smartphone everyone’s been talking about… not long now
source: Sony Mobile
1. amasog (Posts: 129; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
ouch!! as usual, the power button is freakin' ugly!!
2. Lyngdoh (Posts: 221; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Name a mobile/tablet that has a better looking power button than that.
27. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1650; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Looking good??? 5" screen??? Umm NO THANKS
43. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1650; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Lmao!!! I actually am tipsy .. ..& and it has to be 5.5" and up ..imo
49. Lyngdoh (Posts: 221; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Thats the reason why phablets are made so you did'nt have to troll here.
3. YodhaMali (Posts: 38; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Sure, you are entitled to your opinion, but dude, that's got to be one of the stylish and good looking power buttons ever on a smartphone.
48. akki20892 (Posts: 3248; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
and smartphone will gorgeous too..........!!!
6. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
What the hell you on!! That power button is gorgeous!!
8. Kurai (unregistered)
The Z1's Power button is more beautiful and sexy than the whole samsung galaxy lineup.
18. Amir1 (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
sony KNOWS how to design - i bow to the designers. i am always impressed again and again. power button is ugly? amasog, sorry, you have no sense of style.
39. special4u (Posts: 63; Member since: 22 May 2013)
name a mobile that has a uglier look than samsung galaxy series?
41. vincelongman (Posts: 947; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I think the Samsung S4 looks great, and very similar to the G2, Nexus 4, and Moto X.
In my opinion its design is as good as the design of the Nexus 4, G2, Moto X, Lumia 920/1020, 8X and iPhone 4/4S.
The best designs in my opinion are the HTC One, iPhone 5 and Xperia Z.
62. JGuinan007 (Posts: 620; Member since: 19 May 2011)
I almost agree except for Iphone 5 that design was nice on the Iphone 4 the 5 just looks old and stretced
45. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3755; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Wow Sony is BEASTING right now with their phones. I am going to have to look real hard at these NEW Sony beasts.
I really want to see what a Samsung Galaxy Note III will look like.... even though these new Sony's are looking VERY, VERY attractive!
73. buccob (Posts: 1307; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
The only downside I see about this phone is the 144mm x 73.9mm footprint... HUGE...
Make it S4 size... maybe even Xperia Z size and I wont hesitate
4. josephnero (Posts: 278; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
iam holding out for this one.time to save some cash for Honami and Playstation 4
47. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6132; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I'll wait till next year too buy the PS4 never rugh out too buy first units when they have bugs in em. and what sucks bout it falls on my bday
5. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Excuse me while i drool over those specs!.....There is no question this gonna be a awesome phone but will it beat the note 3??? releasing it on the same dat is a risky move sony!!!
25. SonyPS4 (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Depends on how you look at it. Most gadget site will compare Z1 with more anticipated Note 3 thus give Sony more exposure to casual Samsung user.
26. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
What makes you think Note 3 will be much better than "Honami"???
I don’t want to spark a debate but from the rumors circulating on the internet about Honami and Note 3.
Overall Honami will be much better than Note 3
33. istitch (Posts: 157; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
As a sony fan, im more worried on the hype honami brings, i mean no one is expecting any ground breaking feature in note 3, but for honami, everyone is expecting at least to some degree of performance especially in the camera department.
If honami can come out as good as rumored...
38. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I think you have to keep thinking rationally Honami is a smart phone, not a camera.
51. Eonnaydra (Posts: 197; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
This comment shows us how stupid you are.Specs are nothing that's why Apple manage every year to sold millions of iDevices. It's all about the experience. Honami will be without any doubt a big success for Sony.
21. boosook (Posts: 898; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Sound chips? Does Sony really care about sound quality or recording quality in its phones?
28. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Some said it will be S-Master Amplifier
65. JunBringer (Posts: 96; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
I'm not too familiar with sound chips but I can say my Xperia Z Ultra does sound great for music.
9. SonyPS4 (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Im hoping for bigger internal storage 32/64gb. Everything else is as i expected.
66. JunBringer (Posts: 96; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
Agreed. It's about time 16GB devices dropped off the face of the Earth.
10. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
The question is.... are they planning to launch it, in four primary carrier in U S soil?
63. JGuinan007 (Posts: 620; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Nope Sony Ericson left a bad taste in Carriers mouths units did not sell well even at free on contract, Sony still has an uphill battle
64. a_merryman (Posts: 604; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
We can only hope so. But expect it to be just the GSM carriers as usual. You would hope that now that all the other big manufacturers caught on this year that they should release their flagship phones on all, that Sony would realize this too. I would get this if they brought it to Sprint.
11. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 618; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Here it comes... An all in one Sony smartphone.
12. vincelongman (Posts: 947; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I wonder how big it is If its the height & width (I don't care about thinness) of the Xperia ZL, I will buy it.
But if bigger than Xperia Z (like the leaks/rumors) I might not.
13. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
Still, 16 gig ROM for flagship phone.... My goodness!!!
71. TMach (Posts: 348; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
The S4 also comes with 16gb, the alleged 32gb version or higher is nowhere to be seen, at least in Europe! Yes, I would prefer my phone to have 32gb/64gb internal memory with the option of whacking a 64gb memory card in but giving current trend of not even providing the memory card option (LG G2, other than the Korean version, HTC One, crapPhone, et al, the last 2 Nexus phones), I will take 16gb and whack in my 64gb memory card!
14. SonyPS4 (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Sony need to release this as fast as possible WORLDWIDE if they want to compete with Samsung/Apple. One thing I like about Apple is they always release their product few week after official announcement. I dont understand why Xperia smartphone always late in US.
20. boosook (Posts: 898; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Apple is an american company, this probabliy makes things much easier in the US…
16. rusticguy (Posts: 2819; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Water proof or resistant? Article says both.
69. JunBringer (Posts: 96; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
I don't think they've released that yet. The Z Ultra is considered waterproof so hopefully they can pull it off with everything they release at this point.
17. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 815; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
I thought the sample photos showed an f/2.0 aperture?
22. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2335; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
In the #3 pic, the phone's camera lens and external zoom lens is at different places.
The specs are awesome but this phone would be very costly as compared to top flagships.
23. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 885; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
ouuuch!! the spec gives me goose bumps..i'm loving it!!
24. Satnamreg (Posts: 28; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
Carbon fiber frame? WOW ! This will save some grams. And will stand from the crowd.
Looks like it's soon going to be a best phone on the market.
Hope they will release mini version soon afterwards. Because this one is a bit too big. And also they could make an option with 60 fps video which is good for filming when moving a lot.
29. Amir1 (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
strongly disagree, good size. i would like even bigger screen.
35. Satnamreg (Posts: 28; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
Yeah, maybe you're right. I will buy this one anyway. Because won't wait any longer :D And then if it will be too big, I'll change it to Mini when it will be released.
42. vincelongman (Posts: 947; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
It would be perfect if it was the size of the Xperia ZL in my opinion.
30. anleoflippy (Posts: 247; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Will hold this one out. If all the hype is what expected then I might trade in my Xperia ZL for this.
31. Amir1 (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
*waits for the person who will ask if the phone will have xenon flash...*
NO... apparently this is NOT a camera phone like samsung zoom, lumia 1020, etc, its all around flagship, the MP increase is just natural evolution, so calm down. i guess that also xenon flash would make the thickness bigger - like the lumia 1020 - i dont' really want that.
34. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Damn! I want it now, it's freakin' gorgeous!
36. Tattari (Posts: 10; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
everything is perfect , but i'd personally like a bit bigger screen , and a higher memory . ofc if you're gonna take 4k videos u should take no less than 64gb micro sd , but doubt that i'll use the 4k video recording anytime soon if i bought this phone