LTE Cat3, HSPA＋ 42/5.76Mbps, EDGE/GPRS Class 12
1.9GHz Quad-Core Processor
5.0” Full HD TFT LCD, 443 PPI, Glove Touch
Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
Rear: 8 megapixel with LED Flash light
Front: 2 megapixel
Camera Key, Drama Shot, Sound&Shot, Aqua mode, Beauty face, Best photo, Continuous shot, Best face, Animated photo, Rich tone, Panorama
MPEG4,H.263,H.264,DivX4,VP8, WMV9, WMV 7/8, MP43, Sorenson Spark
Samsung Smart Scroll/Pause, Air View/Gesture, Samsung WatchON
ChatON, Samsung Hub
Group Play: Share Music, Share Picture, Share Document, Play Games
Dust and Water Resistant (IP67)
S Translator, S Travel(Trip Advisor), S Health, Story Album
Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Play, Google Plus, YouTube, Google Local, Google Navigation (Turn-by-turn Navi.), Voice Search, Chrome Browser
Wi-Fi ac, Wi-Fi Direct, IrDA, NFC, USB 2.0, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
Accelerometer Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Digital Compass, Barometer Sensor, Gesture Sensor, Finger Hovering Sensor, Light Sensor
16GB Internal memory (User Memory approximately 11.25GB)
micro SD slot (up to 64GB), 2GB RAM
＊User memory space may be less than the total memory space due to system files. User memory may differ by region, carrier and supporting language and may change after software upgrade.
139.7 x 71.3 x 9.1 mm, 151g
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active is official: thin waterproof 5" Full HD goodness
1. Kurai (unregistered)
wow it looks sexy and elegant unlike it's s4 sibling. . .
11. tech2 (Posts: 3349; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
beauty is in the eye of beholder !
You just don't sell 10million devices for not being 'sexy and elegant' !
55. rantao333 (Posts: 322; Member since: 21 May 2013)
u dont need to be sexy & elegant to sell 10 million units, u just ask the carrier to stock up.
BTW, this s4 active is more promising than the regular s4 which is with useless gimmick.
even the design is far more better.
65. MCrapp (Posts: 318; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
S4 is more elegant for me,and S4 Active still is plastic-fantastic . What I like is sd card slot and removable battery.
84. tedkord (Posts: 10233; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They don't sell just because the retailers stock up. They stocked up on WiiU. They sell because they offer what consumers want.
As for your second comment, it's the exact same phone with a different exterior. I know looks are the most important feature to some, but not to all.
95. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Why doesn't Samsung just make one version and put all the features in there instead of making so many versions. Ridiculous.
96. sniperdroid (Posts: 146; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Because they get that we're all different and so they tailor goods to suite a majority of users otherwise it'd be just like the iPhone.
3. ianbbaa (Posts: 305; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
wow..they kept IrDA, Btooth 4.0 LE..NFC as well...physical buttons - i like as well...the overall look??? well, it is phone to last some "heavy" handling...so do not care so much...this one i will get when my Note1 dies...i find it even better then original S4
66. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
AQUA MODE ON!!
88. jonartpop (Posts: 170; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
The physical buttons are not right & make it ugly tbh.
89. jonartpop (Posts: 170; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
The physical buttons are not right & make it ugly tbh.
4. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
this is what the real s4 should have looked like
36. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Any idea how are they gonna waterproof the back if it's still removable? There's the regular hole for your finger to remove the back plate. Won't regular removal be an issue later for waterproofing?
75. Paradox (Posts: 124; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Probably like on the xperia active. If you want to see how it works, go to youtube, type in "sony xperia active" and watch the video titled "Sony Ericsson Xperia active - test odolnosti" from 3:55 to 4:30.
85. tedkord (Posts: 10233; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
My coworker has a waterproof Samsung Rugby. The removable back screws on. Probably the same concept.
87. procol (Posts: 16; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
GSM Arena posted preview with more pictures. Pictures will let you understand how. (I can't include the url because I'm newbie here.)
82. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Minus the front buttons, home button à la original GSIV looks way better..
5. tech2 (Posts: 3349; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Wow !!!!! ........did anyone else notice its an LCD and not AMOLED ?!?!?!?!?!?!
slide 6 of 6 ..o.O
53. zig8100 (Posts: 227; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
The Article also says its a LCD. Must be RGB STRIPE layout also. No pentile and brighter. If true I want this phone.
7. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Aqua mode is ON!!
8. wendygarett (unregistered)
Shut up and take my money
19. ap2012 (Posts: 12; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Samsung ftw!!!Samsung,just take all my money. You are the best!!!I'm a die hard Samsung fanboy and I love the company very much!
13. pyradark (Posts: 824; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
too bad its only IP6 compare to Xperia ZR IP8 with dedicated shutter button for camera
while Xperia Z is 7.** mm in thickness. but praise the premium materials they use for this phone
34. voxmarc (Posts: 331; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Tip # 1....did you know that since S3 and Note 2 an alternative camera shutter button existed?...yes. the volume rocker is the alternative camera shutter button for S3,s4,Note 2,Note 8 &10.1.....go to Camera>settings>Use the volume key as>zoom or camera shutter.
49. pyradark (Posts: 824; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
thanks for the tips
still the IP6 is not meant for more underwater endurance
39. serge327 (Posts: 70; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Sony Xperia Line smartphone always nice design than another brand! Samsung just OMG ugly in design.. but software features is good!
70. hmmm... (Posts: 78; Member since: 05 Jun 2013)
S4 active is Ip67. And XZR is Ip58. the first number is for dust and second number is for water. compared to XZ. samsung has the same water rating as Z but better dust resistance than Z. Compared to XZR, S4 active is still better at keeping dust out but lose to the XZr in terms of water resistance. The 8 doesn't mean much. As long as an item can go further than 1m for 30 min, then it get's and 8. in XZR case it is 1.5m as opposed to XZ ans S4 active's 1m. Even if it was 1.1m it would still get the 8. 6 is the highest certification for dust and 8 for water if i remember correctly. So even if a phone can go to the depth of 50m it will still get the same 8 as a phone that can only go 1.1m deep. So both XZR and S4 active have their own advantages
14. proto (Posts: 59; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
if it will takes good photos (At least like S3) it will be still better then xperia Z....
21. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Yeah I think it'll get the S3's sensor. The camera unit is definitely smaller than on the S4 due to the certification it has to go through, so there was no point giving it a 13MP shooter that's simply terrible on the Z. I guess it's the lens that has to be different to absorb water pressure.
41. anleoflippy (Posts: 595; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
It's not because of the lens actually that the camera on the Xperia Z/ZL is terrible. It's because of the camera software that makes the Z look bad. However, the last minor software update has fix the camera software algorithm and produce better pictures than before. But minor problems are still there. Also, Samsung actually uses Sony's lenses in their smartphones but Samsung made it better because of their software.
16. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
But will it take a hit better than the S4?
48. pyradark (Posts: 824; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Nope, bcoz people will prefer XZ due to its looks
but still S4 will dominate, not sure how will it last??
80M for 2013 hahahahaha
18. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 221; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
I like the back design on this phone 100x more than the one on the original S4. The front buttons... not so much, but it makes sense since the capacitive buttons don't work well underwater.
81. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Agreed! That's the only thing I don't like about this device but well, it's supposed to be a rugged phone, so..
93. papss (unregistered)
Also agree.. I really don't want any buttons on the front unless they are capacitive but the phone looks really nice
20. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Sony should sue! copy cats! that's all they ever was and dats all they'll ever be
23. wendygarett (unregistered)
And why are you here?
57. tech3 (unregistered)
Shut up you poop!
62. tech3 (unregistered)
WTF?! Who are you?
64. tech2 (Posts: 3349; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I'm absolutely willing to bet my life that its you, xperiaDROID !
69. tech3 (unregistered)
Who the hell is xperiaDROID?
30. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Hahaha a waterproof phone.....omg ....Sony completely invented that....http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/sharp-brings-the-world-s-first-waterproof-solar-powered-mobile-593353.....ohhh wait sharp invented that in 2009....don't hate with no reason mate! Idiot...
78. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Butthurt much, sony fanboy? You better be.. =]
'coz this will steal a lot of customers from Sony! AHAHAH
90. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3777; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Actually if anyone should sue it should be either Casio (first rugged waterproof phones) or Motorola (Defy a waterproof smartphone). They were doing that long before Sony.
24. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Yeah, but you're still not going to want to drop it. Note that there's no indication that it can handle more physical punishment than the normal S4.
37. askbingask (Posts: 22; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
sg 4 , sg 4 mini, sg 4 active next what sg 4 rest, sg4 lazy
44. serge327 (Posts: 70; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Also S4 super, S4 F**K, S4 Suck, S4 Die, S4 OMG.
45. saenaedewe (Posts: 71; Member since: 01 May 2013)
Samsung is flooding the market with its products, of which will eventually give Samsung a larger share in the smartphone market
67. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
well tbh i think 95% is pretty large anyway.....
43. serge327 (Posts: 70; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
I will say No to this, i will wait for SONY Honami or Samsung Note 3, see which can attract me in Hardware, camera, and design. then can take my money! hehe
74. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
U gotta have a open mind. Sometimes best too wait instead of rushing n buying any new flagship phones. Think I'll upgrade too this from my Xperia GO.
51. zig8100 (Posts: 227; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Its a LCD and not AMOLDED! Maybe due to viewing in the Water , Bright Sunlight. Hope its true and brighter then AMOLDED. Wonder if its a RGB Stripe layout also?
56. selena1000 (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
a little thinner with no or not so ugly physical buttons and you have the best device samsung has ever made