Report: Sony has a pair of flagship smartphones coming, one next month and another in May
The Sirius is rumored to feature a 5.2 inch screen and will supposedly be powered by the Snapdragon 800 SoC. The Canopus is rumored to offer a 5 inch screen and will purportedly feature the Snapdragon 800 or Snapdragon 805 SoC. Here is the kicker, though, this device will be a Wi-Fi only model with no cellular connection.
While you should be taking this report with a grain of salt, CES 2014 is rapidly approaching, so we should soon be able to determine if the first part of this rumor is true.
Thanks, Anonymous Tipster!
source: digi-wo.com via GforGames
1. Desmund (Posts: 74; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
This is just me, but starting to feel the term Flagship to be overplayed at one point use to feel special having one, but now with less than 2 months gap or even 4 months hearing of LG G3 and the new Sony phone is just not cool.
Call me bitter, but I just wish they'd wait longer before mentioning these rumors.
2. oister85 (Posts: 431; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
A phone with no cellular connection???? Is it a mp3?
3. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Yeah, but this gives all the upgrade more than once a year any time you want an actual purpose
4. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3473; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Hmnjeh. Well that canopus sounds weird. Maybe it's actually going to be a 7 or 8 inch tablet?
5. xtroid2k (Posts: 504; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
Well I'll tell you what. I look forward to what ever Sony has to offer
6. apple4never (Posts: 1028; Member since: 08 May 2013)
so its basically i bada$$ iPod ? or a small tablet ?
7. SolomonGrundy (Posts: 19; Member since: 21 Dec 2013)
This is what I've been waiting for for years, an Android counterpart to the iPod. A powerful device that runs Android that's pretty affordable (hopefully.) I could care less about cellular capabilities. If I want to talk on the phone, I can use my old, reliable feature phone. Kudos to Sony for being the first ones to do this. I really hope this pans out to be true.
9. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
If I am not wrong, Sony had released a few Walkman with Android! They are named the Walkman Z and F series if I am not mistaken.
10. mixedfish (Posts: 645; Member since: 17 Nov 2013)
Yes I have the new Walkman Zx1, best digital audio player ever built in history.
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Z2 on the way and some more low budget flagship from sony. 2014 is going to be a interesting year.
12. aayupanday (Posts: 549; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
So Sony's flagship device in May will be a Snapdragon 805 powered iPod Touch?
17. boosook (Posts: 1235; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Probably. With the Z1f they were targeting the iphone, and now they probably want to target the ipod touch. Keep in mind that Japan is the only place in the world, together with the US, where the iphone has a significant market share compared to Android. So they're targeting Apple IMO.
Also, Japanese seem to still love mp3 players, so this mp3 player will have premium audio features (probably a high-quality amplifier and headphones and all the Sony's audio processing technologies, see the NWZ-Z1050).
It will be a flagship mo3 player for people who have money to spend and want the best audio quality, better than what you can have with a phone, which of course is not optimized for hi-fi audio.
P.S. I understand the sarcasm in your post... :) of course, Sony will release a proper flagship phone in january and another after the summer, just like they have done in the last three years, so their pattern is predictable.
13. vishalaestro (Posts: 66; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)
hugely disappointed with the screen quality of sony,my xperia l screen shows black as white when seen from a side view how horrible it was .
15. Amir1 (Posts: 290; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Why a mobile phone site calls a wi-fi only device a "flagship", when it's OBVIOUSLY NOT a flagship phone? maybe a Walkman player?
16. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1559; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
SONY is the only one with 20.7 mp with Z1 lets see what is that next so called flagship is going to be ...hope screen quality is better.
18. surethom (Posts: 392; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
Another Massive phone, Why no flagship 4.7" phones Sony. HTC has the best screen sizes.
19. giffonaay (Posts: 11; Member since: 31 Dec 2013)
Im loving this 2014 tilt towards low end/bugdet friendly phones